Advice on DIY speakers for Home Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OJ Bartley

post #1 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Advice on DIY speakers for Home Theater Build

Hey all,

I read a few posts suggesting that if people had questions about home-built speakers, we should post and get feedback. I'm loaded with questions =) :

Environment:
I have a home theater that I'm currently building out in my basement. It's 19L x 13W x 9H. While the walls are done, the ceiling is (currently) unfinished joists that will be covered (somewhat) with acoustical paneling but not with drywall. The joists 'start' at 9 ft and go up an additional foot, creating a 10 foot ceiling. The door is on the left of the room, middle of the 19 ft wall. There is a window-like opening on the back wall that allows people sitting at a bar to look into the room, at the front screen. That opening is ~6W x 4H, and starts about 40 inches from the ground. It has a sliding barn door that can completely close this opening if desired. Additionally, there is a 1'x1' soffit that runs the entire perimeter of the room.

There will be moderate 2" OC-703 on each wall (four 2'x4' panels along each wall, three along the back), and a couple of smaller base-traps in the corners (don't know the size, but probably 12+" corner pieces. This is in addition to the panels on the ceiling that I described above.

Current / future system:
I currently have Mirage OMD-15's for my LR, and OMD5's for my rear L/R. I don't remember what my center channel or 15" sub are, but both are decent/higher quality components also. Not ultra-high end, but significantly nicer than the typical store-bought system.

I want to go to (at least) a 7.1 system where the surrounds/rears are in columns on the walls (likely installed just under the soffits within the columns, due to room width constraints).

I'll probably go with a TV rather than projector, as I've found that to be better for my family's current needs. As such, I have to work around the screen rather than through it. My video component rack will be in a front column to the far left of the screen, and there will be another column to the far right - limiting the 'width' of the open front area to ~8 ft. I could integrate the L/R speakers into these columns if desired/necessary but am not currently planning to do so.

Other Info
I've enjoyed the 5.1 environment for movies in my previous home, but am ready to upgrade. I REALLY liked the expansive sound and the fact that they did such a good job of creating an immersive 3D sound environment during movies. While I enjoy music, I typically don't listen to it in this room...this is pretty much dedicated to watching movies/TV/video games.

I have two autistic children, so typically don't listen at ear-bleeding volumes. I normally keep it louder than what you'd play in your living room, but not so loud as to drive a sane person from the video area. I want speakers that do a good job when listening at more conservative levels.

I have moderate carpentry/DIY skills (I'm a Mechanical Engineer turned programmer, and built my house with my own hands). I'm not skilled at soldering, but know how to do woodworking/gluing/clamping/etc. and can do above-basic wiring.

I don't have a specific budget for the new setup, but I am cost-conscious. I do look for a solid ROI, and believe in the law of diminishing returns - I don't want to pay a huge amount more for a small gain. If I can get an "8" for $100, and a "9" costs $1000, I'd be hard pressed to figure out why to go with a 9.

Now my question(s):
I was thinking of buying new higher-end speakers, but found multiple people saying I could get a better sound at a lower price from building them myself. I don't mind doing the work, but I don't have the knowledge to DESIGN my own speakers. As such, I've been looking at the DIY kits. I'd like to have fairly nice 'larger' speakers up front as my LCR, and wall/column mounted surround/rear speakers. Eventually I may add more/modify for ATMOS setup, but that will be a ways off (if ever).

What DIY kits should I be looking at for the environment outlined above?
  • L/R
  • Center
  • Surround
  • Rear (I'd assume/like it to be the same as the surround)
  • Sub (I'd probably continue using my current sub or go without a sub for a while, if the rest of the system allowed - I'll likely get a sub in the long-term future, but in the short term, I'm looking for speakers that provide the expansive movie experience I want to create)

What suggestions do you have? I've looked at the Fusion-15, the Volt-8/10 with the angled front for my sides/rears. I'm reading, but there are a lot of choices and probably a lot of opportunity to 'overbuy' where it isn't necessary for this small of a room. That being the case, I figured I'd ask people smarter and more experienced to help me know what to look at.

Thanks,
-HC

New build: Cedar Creek Home Theater (working name) Construction Thread
Old Theater from previous home: Starting 'The Underground' Theater - My construction threads - Finishing 'The Underground' Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Start by checking out the "Home Theater Monitors", "Cinema Speakers" and "Fusion Waveguide Kits" from DIY Sound Group. They are currently offering a large number of kits that should give you plenty of options, and they are very well regarded. The new Titan 615 kits may be of interest, depending on cost/availability. I am currently working on one of their HTM-12 builds for my main 3 speakers, and have eight Volt-6 kits ready to go for surround and Atmos duty.
BacHolz likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 59
i have 3 cinema 8, 4 volt 6 , and two martycubes for a room alittle bigger than yours (24x14). They can get crazy loud if i need them to. Sound is very clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
@ the op

nice intro and thinking
solid direction from the 2nd post

other info, looking ahead

consider matching L/VC/R is budget allows.
to help mitigate "upgrade-itis', consider going as large and befitting as you can.

in my own reflection of how i got to where I am . .

If I hadn't built the DIYSG 88 Special first, I'd definitely gone with 3 F15's across the front. they are a very ROI mains investment.
And as you may read, there is a cab mod to the 15 that dig's a bit deeper, which for most music and TV may help you stall off on the need for "killer' woofage,
and height issues got to be a problem wrt how I wanted the TV hanging on the wall . ., but i have more wiggle room in the budget

tho TBH, the deeper digging design of the VBSS . you'll be doing some more homework and it's remarkably high ROI , there are multiple threads, @cuzed2 has been "productive' using that design

in my set up there is a dual 18" VBSS mod for more midbass punch tucked behind the center.
in stereo with just the F15's and that one sub, much clearer, defined, resonanat, blah blah blah, than when I heard all that classic rock, classical , newage, jazz, big band, and more too many years ago. but I've been prolific with room treatment.

and my room is 14 ish by 28' but I put up curtains as a back wall, hopefully to catch mid/high FR and prevent unnecessary interferance.

The Volt 8 or 10's could be very fitting , the seemingly narrow 13' width maybe conducive to hot spotting depending on the EQ and other variables, i'm thinking primarily of the depth and how far out from the wall they may be.

you have a full plate ahead of you.

no doubt others will chime in, so you're to have a roaring success.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #5 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

current picture of the beast,
the bigger subs are else where in the room . .

for surrounds i modded a F4Q4 for a lower profile and used a short full range monitor mount for positioning from the wall to the mlp.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4Q4 ready to play.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	1905705   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4Q4 with monoprice 8098 mount.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1905713  
Attached Images

L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
post #6 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Start by checking out the "Home Theater Monitors", "Cinema Speakers" and "Fusion Waveguide Kits" from DIY Sound Group. They are currently offering a large number of kits that should give you plenty of options, and they are very well regarded. The new Titan 615 kits may be of interest, depending on cost/availability. I am currently working on one of their HTM-12 builds for my main 3 speakers, and have eight Volt-6 kits ready to go for surround and Atmos duty.
I heard good things about the Volt 6, based on a couple reviews. I didn't know if that was an ideal speaker for surround/rear (seemed like it was, but I wanted validation).

I read the Titan 615 Thread and that thing seems like an absolute monster (in the "I gotta have that monster" type of way)! I'd like to have them as my L/R but
based on the initial drawing, I don't know if I could do it as my center (too tall).

I'll check out the Home Theater Monitors and the Cinema Speakers - I've been checking out DIY Sound Group and like what I've seen so far.

Old Theater from previous home: Starting 'The Underground' Theater - My construction threads - Finishing 'The Underground' Theater
post #7 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
@ the op
If I hadn't built the DIYSG 88 Special first, I'd definitely gone with 3 F15's across the front. they are a very ROI mains investment.
And as you may read, there is a cab mod to the 15 that dig's a bit deeper, which for most music and TV may help you stall off on the need for "killer' woofage,
and height issues got to be a problem wrt how I wanted the TV hanging on the wall . ., but i have more wiggle room in the budget

tho TBH, the deeper digging design of the VBSS . you'll be doing some more homework and it's remarkably high ROI , there are multiple threads, @cuzed2 has been "productive' using that design

in my set up there is a dual 18" VBSS mod for more midbass punch tucked behind the center.
in stereo with just the F15's and that one sub, much clearer, defined, resonanat, blah blah blah, than when I heard all that classic rock, classical , newage, jazz, big band, and more too many years ago. but I've been prolific with room treatment.

and my room is 14 ish by 28' but I put up curtains as a back wall, hopefully to catch mid/high FR and prevent unnecessary interferance.

The Volt 8 or 10's could be very fitting , the seemingly narrow 13' width maybe conducive to hot spotting depending on the EQ and other variables, i'm thinking primarily of the depth and how far out from the wall they may be.
That's a lot of really good information, so thanks!

My ideas for the 8/10's (if it plays out) is that they would be integrated into the columns at about 6 ft height or so, angled down at a 25-35 degree angle. I also thought of using the F4s laid horizontally, along the bottom aspect of the soffit (8 ft high, sides and rears). I don't know enough about the performance of these speakers, so was looking for advice/feedback like you gave.

Thanks,
-Scott

post #8 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesamarai View Post
i have 3 cinema 8, 4 volt 6 , and two martycubes for a room alittle bigger than yours (24x14). They can get crazy loud if i need them to. Sound is very clean.
Thanks for the information, @thesamarai
I hadn't heard of the Martycubes or the Cinema 8's, but knew about the Volt 6's. I'll go check out those others, especially if it's filling the room and providing a good immersive experience for you when you watch movies. Loud is good, but I'm focused on just being lost in the sound when watching TV.

post #9 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
You should be considering the angles and distance and width of roommand location of chairs.

You want reflections from side walls, in you narrow room you'll have some challenges.

Fusion 15 can be nice if you can fit it. 1099 as well. But I'd be careful to keep them between 22 and 30 degree angles and promote the good side wall reflections because in your 13 foot wide room that's how you'll make it sound wider than 13ft.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

my F4's had the xo set to 40 by XT32, but I bumped it up. I'm in the center of the room at 14ish+ wide. so they are close. when the mix calls for a noticeable sound from them, or panning things around, they perform.

The volt 6's i use as atmos tops I auditioned as L/R mains in the man cave, <110ft^2 and at a distance of <7' on my denon x4000,
everytjhing you might read about them is true. you'll never use all the amp you will drive them with . .

so depending of the height and angles, distances for the 8' or 10's in the columns , you could be rambling into serious overkill area.

but as advised above, focus on the LCR. it's the "main event"

post #11 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Auto EQ does wacky things

I'd manuall set the xo based on room response. 80hz is a good starting rule. The room should dictate if you need to raise or lower that, not the capability of the speaker.

You should also set phase and double check that prior to doing anything else. The audiotools app for iPhone has a really easy speaker polarity test I like to use. Make sure all your speakers and your subs are wired up correctly in phase and consistent. I know that sounds trivial but you'll be surprised sometimes what you'll find.

Rather than let auto EQ set subs, I'd suggest you set the distances manually based on measure. Then if you have an spl meter you can crank up and down the distance and watch the change on the meter. 7 feet is all you need, that's half a wave of 80hz. Basically adjust one of the sub distances up and down looking for spl read out to go up or down. You want it set at the highest spl. Usually that's the correct distance or near it, but not always. Try it from each seat, and average your results manually if you don't have multiple mic set up and spatial averaging ability. Your subs are in phase when they are the loudest usually so that's a basic way to validate. You can do it only with spl meter.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@ the op

@asarose247 ,
I haven't seen the discussions regarding modding the F15's for a stronger base/sub effect. Can you point me in the right direction?

I haven't ever tried to 'tune' a room or speakers before, so I'm needing to do some learning in that direction. I have the (very) basics down, but don't know what tools to use to find primary/secondary reflection points, nor to figure out where I want dampening vs. scattering, nor if I want to reflect some higher tones while capturing lower (or vice versa).

I know a lot of people use various tools/applications for this, but I don't know much about them...I have some digging to do to figure out how to set the speakers up for a smaller room like this.

I do appreciate your (and everyone else's) help! Thanks,
-HC

post #13 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your shotgun effect of using "big picture" terms looks promising for somebody who understands why people around here simply use the term "rabbit hole".

Tuning a room and it variables could be it's own website / career and for the few here that do and contribute here, we are very happy that they do.

In the beginning, many try to just get the basics wrt optimal speakers, for budget, WAF, room size, intended usage .

you haven't mentioned a receiver or pre/pro amp combo and proposed or available room EQ.

XT32 has many advocates.

cruise on over to the DIYSG website and pose the question about the F15 mod.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

addendum: at the DIYSG site, pose the F15 mod question to mtg90, he's the designer . .,
might be worth the effort

post #15 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

My big focus right now is trying to identify the *types* of speakers to use in the room. Given the speakers have different dimensions, that will lead me to changing my build somewhat (not drastically, but potentially somewhat). Once that's done, I can start working on other room elements such as treatments, diffusers, etc.

I don't expect to build out a crazy room for this, but I'd like it to be as nice as reasonably possible. I didn't do ANY tuning on my previous HT in my basement, and it was very nice (by my standards). With an upgrade in equipment, the room itself, and some basic wall/ceiling treatments, I'm hoping that my movie-watching experience continues to improve.

I'm a nerd (both by inclination and by profession) so I will continue to learn/tweak as I have time. I want to learn what many of the things people are posting about actually mean, and improve my system and room accordingly. I just don't want to make 'Perfect' be the enemy of 'Good' or 'Better' - I have a habit of having analysis paralysis; not being able to move because I'm trying to make the perfect decision. That being the case, I am moving forward with what I DO know, and leaving room for iterative improvement as I learn more.

As for my equipment/receiver/etc.
I have four different receivers in use in different areas of the house. None of them are phenomenal, but all seem to do what I need them to do. The one I'm likely going to use until I upgrade is the Onkyo TX- NR636.
I don't have any pre/pro amp nor do I have any equilizer (that I know of, unless it's included in the Onkyo).
My existing sub is a Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 Crossover & Amplifier (I only ever used it as a sub, so don't know what the crossover/amp means as it relates to this).

The room will have a reclining row of theater seating as the first row (I'd like to have a seat/loveseat/seat config, but seeing if I have enough room for that), and a wider non-reclining couch that will be on an 8 inch riser as the second row, stretching mostly from wall-to-wall. I'll likely have beanbags on the floor in front of the front row of seats also, as children are ever-present in our home.

Last edited by handcuff; 01-20-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have posted a pic of the theater in progress.

This is taken from the back of the room, through the bar window that opens in the back. You can just barely see the window borders around the edges as I'm taking the picture into the room.

...now I've got to change my signature, since I don't have the theater in my old signature line anymore. =/

post #17 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by handcuff View Post
My existing sub is a Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 Crossover & Amplifier (I only ever used it as a sub, so don't know what the crossover/amp means as it relates to this).
It probably just means your sub has speaker lines in which can then be split to the sub and outputted to your speakers. And the amp meaning it's a powered sub with a built in amplifier.

I can also recommend DIYSG speaker kits. Have built Fusion-6, HTM-10, Volt-6, and Cube15 and they are all great kits.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

looking ahead . .a dimension thing

thinking about where the seating may be, , and how that might make an issue of where the left surround would go,
that doorway on the left looks like it's user unfriendly for placement of the left surround, especially if trying think ahead wrt separation of the 7 channel bed lay from any potential "tops' speakers..
should the doors open into the adjacent room?
maybe 1 door could be just left closed wrt more permanent surround placement.

what layout, dimensionally are you planning for seating and speakers, and distance from the front?

as for "types", maybe that can be combined with "budget" for narrowing the focus . ..

since your 636 can do some room EQ, perhaps you want to massage the budget for REW and calibrated mike.
it could prove very useful when thinking about possible future sub upgrade, and room treatments
like a roadmap for a little easier ride further down the road.

post #19 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
looking ahead . .a dimension thing

thinking about where the seating may be, , and how that might make an issue of where the left surround would go,
that doorway on the left looks like it's user unfriendly for placement of the left surround, especially if trying think ahead wrt separation of the 7 channel bed lay from any potential "tops' speakers..
should the doors open into the adjacent room?
maybe 1 door could be just left closed wrt more permanent surround placement.

what layout, dimensionally are you planning for seating and speakers, and distance from the front?

as for "types", maybe that can be combined with "budget" for narrowing the focus . ..

since your 636 can do some room EQ, perhaps you want to massage the budget for REW and calibrated mike.
it could prove very useful when thinking about possible future sub upgrade, and room treatments
like a roadmap for a little easier ride further down the road.
For Door Placement/swing:
The side door here will also be a barn-door style entry, thus it 'rolls' along a track. it will be on the outside of the theater, so no real impact to things within the room (other than the general opening). There will be two 6" deep x 12" wide columns on the left side, three on the right side (the middle column on the left is where the door would be).

The speakers will be in the front, within a foot or so of the front wall.

The Front seats 'head' area (when reclined will be relatively set to the same line as the rear-most columns. The front row will be aprox 8.5-9 ft wide (haven't determined which seats yet)

My thought was to have the upper portion of the column be the speaker, tilted out to point slightly down towards the viewer. A speaker in each of the furthest-back column for surrounds, and two speakers against the back wall for my rears (there are two columns against the back wall also). Alternatively, I was thinking of mounting an F-4 horizontally directly below the soffit, where the column meets the column (also tilted out to a 15'ish degree angle) for my surrounds, and the same for my rears. This would keep them from impacting the width of the room, but would put the sound higher than what I think is ideal.

I don't have a specific budget, as I'm building this over time. The F-15's are well within my budget, as are the F-4s or V8/10s for surround/rears. I could afford another component or two if necessary for the overall system (amp, etc), and could afford a few hundred dollars for tools to help tune the theater. I don't have endless money and don't need the 'high-end' name brand equipment - but I do have a decent income and have saved a fair amount by building my house myself...as such, the wife doesn't mind if I want to throw a few thousand at the home theater. I also don't have the best/most discerning ears. I can tell what sounds good vs. what doesn't, but I don't consider myself to be an audiophile. If comparing two good speakers, I don't know if I could give you an awesome review. If comparing a good speaker to a mid/poor one, I absolutely could. This is part of why I'd be interested in getting digital tools to help me tune the speakers/room (I may not be able to trust my ears completely, but I can use a device to help me replicate 'good' sounds).

I don't know what REW stands for, but am open to getting/using a tool to help me in my efforts. I have a friend with a calibrated mic, but if I need it frequently I wouldn't mind purchasing one for my own use.

I've got ~36 2" acoustical panels (OC-703) that are 2'x4'. They will be covered with fabric and I plan to mount to ceiling/walls as necessary. Additionally, I have about 300 sq ft of 4 inch x 16 inch x 4 ft sound batting (Roxul). I have a huge amount of cedar that I'm going to use to build the pillars and the doors (this is in the basement of a country home, and we like the look of the cedar as a natural wood).

post #20 of 23 Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

REW = Room Equalization Wizard, PC and Mac compatible and an invaluable tool for the dedicated DIY'er especially with a budget and other responsibilities.

many good tutorial and threads here at AVS get you up the learning curve really quick and smart.

the natural cedar will be beautiful no doubt, I'm wondering about ambient light and reflection issues. i suppose the fabricated panels wil be blended in for esthetics and sound control.
that much 703, you have a good start on using some for bass traps , but that's a need REW will be able to reveal . .

and at AVS, many like the pics,

post #21 of 23 Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Think I've decided on the speakers I want to go with, based on some research and reviews. I have a few questions out to Erich, but pending the answers to those, here is what I was thinking:

L/C/R = F-15s (waiting to find out if there is a horizontal/center channel config for this design)
surrounds/rears = Volt 10lx
someday Atmos = Volt 10lx or 8's

Haven't decided on a future sub yet...I have the 15 inch DT PowerField sub, and would like 'more' than what it's been producing for me in the past (it did a great job in my previous theater, so maybe I should wait until I have everything set up before making this decision). As I look at subs, I am guessing I'll end up with two 18 or 21 inch subs. I don't need to be blown through the wall, but I also want to 'feel' the impacts when I'm watching movies.

I appreciate everyone's help and the education. If it seems like I'm making a bad decision with any of these, please feel free to continue my education. =)

Thanks,
-Scott

post #22 of 23 Old 01-25-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

visit the DIYSG site, the F15 is what it is, no horizontal CC version need apply . .

solid all in choices for a high performance system bound to be a good antidote for "upgrade-itis'

subs is another thing . . ,
others will chime in . .

post #23 of 23 Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
For subs 2x18" would be great. Ported would give more output since I'm guessing you're surrounded by concrete, and it'd take silly subs to get low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page