(8) Ported Incriminator Audio Judge 21" build - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 797Likes

post #511 of 528 Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Do you have the updated T/S Specs after the drives was modified for you ? I'm going to build a similar project as these.
They are in post #220.
lukeamdman likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
-StormAudio ISP 3D.32 Elite AVB; Cherry Megaschino amps; JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM's (5), S8's (10), & Captivator S2's (4); JTR NX7; Lumagen 4442; JRiver Media Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 528 Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Do you have the updated T/S Specs after the drives was modified for you ? I'm going to build a similar project as these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
They are in post #2 20.
I also put them in post #2 to make it a little easier to find.
post #513 of 528 Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 163
@lukeamdman , Any further damage... I mean... listening sessions with those bad boys cranked way up there?

Have you played around with the crossover points recently, since the last time we spoke? Or was that finally the sweet spot?

I'm still rather pleased with my IA Judge 21s, even though they are begging for more power. Though I honestly would love to hear how these drivers perform in ported enclosures one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Actually he tracked me down to build 6, so I decided to build 2 more so that I would have 4 for my HT. Hoodcom then asked me if I would make him 2, but I was pretty damn tired of building them so I just gave him 2 of mine since he was pretty pumped up about having them and I didn’t have the heart to tell him no. Othorns and sealed 24 nearfield is still my favorite combo. I should have my new ht dialed in and ready to go with that installed for the next KC HT Crawl next spring
Still pumped anytime I turn them on as well, they're seriously the most impressive subwoofers I've ever heard, although your living room demo still had me a little envious!

Also thanks again, dude. Only thing I'd change, if I could, was listening space that'd allow me to work with placement a lot better than I can now. These things could benefit so much by firing sideways in my space, if I had the room to. From what testing I've done. (Plus I keep wanting to keep them at 28Hz crossover point, even though that's not ideal with phasing/timing with the 21s and 18s in my setup. - But man... the Othorns are still so hard to beat.)
d_c likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 528 Old 03-29-2018, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcom View Post
@lukeamdman , Any further damage... I mean... listening sessions with those bad boys cranked way up there?

Have you played around with the crossover points recently, since the last time we spoke? Or was that finally the sweet spot?

I'm still rather pleased with my IA Judge 21s, even though they are begging for more power. Though I honestly would love to hear how these drivers perform in ported enclosures one day.

Still pumped anytime I turn them on as well, they're seriously the most impressive subwoofers I've ever heard, although your living room demo still had me a little envious!

Also thanks again, dude. Only thing I'd change, if I could, was listening space that'd allow me to work with placement a lot better than I can now. These things could benefit so much by firing sideways in my space, if I had the room to. From what testing I've done. (Plus I keep wanting to keep them at 28Hz crossover point, even though that's not ideal with phasing/timing with the 21s and 18s in my setup. - But man... the Othorns are still so hard to beat.)
I definitely need to re-secure/bolt down the rear wall to the concrete. The longer I wait the more noisy it gets.

Current crossover settings

Ports 21s: 14hz BW3 HPF, 26hz BW3 LPF
Othorns: 40hz BW3 HPF

I'm still experimenting to find the right balance between the two. I think I'm almost there.
Hoodcom likes this.
post #515 of 528 Old 03-31-2018, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I think I am staying with sealed.

Mixing subwoofer types takes effort. I have tried to mix cheap 12" ported with my sealed 21s. It takes a good deal of effort, and I am starting to seal back up my recording / workout / theater / editing room . It is L shaped and with the current subwoofage the walls add too much to the theater mix. Funny that with recording even the kick drum is sounds good.

ULF is harder to get right than live band recording for sure. I find it a whole new area to explore / the mix between recording live single instruments and experiencing the occasional ULF movie.
post #516 of 528 Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Quoted: 3892 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarnoise View Post
I think I am staying with sealed.

Mixing subwoofer types takes effort. I have tried to mix cheap 12" ported with my sealed 21s. It takes a good deal of effort, and I am starting to seal back up my recording / workout / theater / editing room . It is L shaped and with the current subwoofage the walls add too much to the theater mix. Funny that with recording even the kick drum is sounds good.

ULF is harder to get right than live band recording for sure. I find it a whole new area to explore / the mix between recording live single instruments and experiencing the occasional ULF movie.
you tried to mix a not good sub, with good subs, and it didnt work. scrap the entire project!

Or just convert everything to ported
post #517 of 528 Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 163
One thing's for sure, you definitely can't just throw a system together and expect it to work perfectly from the get go. I'm still working on learning how to understand R.E.W. and it's measurements, then having to experiment with the best crossover points, crossover filters, phasing/time delay.

Especially when dealing with the likes of the Othorns in the system. While it may seem like a pain in the butt, in the end, once everything's configured properly, you'd be really pleased with the final results.

In my case, I think I'm in the right direction but I still need to re-check and experiment further, and measure again. @lukeamdman has been pretty inspirational as far as that goes, and while I've never got to hear his system, I certainly trust his judgement and experience. I can certainly appreciate the work and effort I've seen in threads like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I definitely need to re-secure/bolt down the rear wall to the concrete. The longer I wait the more noisy it gets.
Any plans for when you'll be able to get that done?

Quote:
Current crossover settings

Ports 21s: 14hz BW3 HPF, 26hz BW3 LPF
Othorns: 40hz BW3 HPF

I'm still experimenting to find the right balance between the two. I think I'm almost there.
Looking pretty good, luke!

So does it take roughly eight IA drivers to keep up with the Othorns on the lower end? (I can't recall what you did with them when they were sealed, vs the Othorns.)
post #518 of 528 Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #519 of 528 Old 05-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
@d_c

Sometimes when the wife isn't home you just have to play Jail Bait:

https://youtu.be/63W6DCxDyXc

Im glad Im not the only one that has to wait for the wife to leave! Im just worried one of these says something is going to break upstairs and then im all done.

Luke nice job!! Im going in a similar direction with 18MBMs crossed to SI24s at around 40ishHz as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #520 of 528 Old 05-04-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Im glad Im not the only one that has to wait for the wife to leave! Im just worried one of these says something is going to break upstairs and then im all done.

Luke nice job!! Im going in a similar direction with 18MBMs crossed to SI24s at around 40ishHz as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Me too.... its the best way to get everything out of the system!
beastaudio likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #521 of 528 Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
@d_c

Love it! I have found that I can get pretty loud in the ht as long as the basement door is closed, my bedroom door is closed, 2 box fans are on high in the bedroom, my wife is sleeping, she drank 4 glasses of wine before going to bed.
Steve Kuester and lukeamdman like this.
post #522 of 528 Old 05-06-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
@d_c

Yes! You are definitely showing that cereal bowl who's boss!

That kind of headroom must be really nice to have.
lukeamdman likes this.

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #523 of 528 Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Yes! You are definitely showing that cereal bowl who's boss!

That kind of headroom must be really nice to have.
It's really fun, and that's the whole point of this hobby for me
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #524 of 528 Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Having stumbled across your thread again while I'm contemplating what's next for me, I was wondering if you would change anything about your drivers. You originally designed them for a sealed application correct? Would you make any adjustments now that you have moved to ported?
post #525 of 528 Old 05-07-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
Having stumbled across your thread again while I'm contemplating what's next for me, I was wondering if you would change anything about your drivers. You originally designed them for a sealed application correct? Would you make any adjustments now that you have moved to ported?

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the only thing Luke would change is going sealed in the first place. I could be wrong. But having been in that room dozens of times myself, I for one would say that the IA drivers in those LLT cabs are simply effortless. And, while the DO boxes before sounded great, they don’t even come close to the LLTs.

Forgive me if I’m wrong Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carp and lukeamdman like this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #526 of 528 Old 05-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the only thing Luke would change is going sealed in the first place. I could be wrong. But having been in that room dozens of times myself, I for one would say that the IA drivers in those LLT cabs are simply effortless. And, while the DO boxes before sounded great, they don’t even come close to the LLTs.

Forgive me if I’m wrong Luke.

Perhaps I mis-read something but I thought he had some adjustments made to the standard Judge driver. I believe triple dust caps was mentioned at one point as well as something else. I wasn't sure if this was done specifically because he went sealed first or if it was just a general tweak to achieve what he wanted. I don't doubt his room sounds awesome and wish I lived closer to be able to hear it for myself.
lukeamdman likes this.
post #527 of 528 Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Perhaps I mis-read something but I thought he had some adjustments made to the standard Judge driver. I believe triple dust caps was mentioned at one point as well as something else. I wasn't sure if this was done specifically because he went sealed first or if it was just a general tweak to achieve what he wanted. I don't doubt his room sounds awesome and wish I lived closer to be able to hear it for myself.

Ah, I see. I misread. He had the driver built specifically to be used in a HT. IA will build a driver to any spec. Which, is what Luke did.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #528 of 528 Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Overall I'm very happy with the driver, and for LLT I think it does great.

When I originally went sealed I was well aware of the compromises for that alignment, but with the MLP on a riser and now with a finished HT room I was curious. Even though the SPL numbers were very impressive, the concrete slab prevailed in negating almost all tactile feedback below 20hz.

I think the very day I powered up the Crowsons I started some sims in WinISD for LLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page