DIYSG Titan-615LX Build Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 166Likes

post #181 of 195 Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Got mine "finished" and ready to install

I "finished" my build on Friday, but like some others they need finishing but I wanted to get them connected to hear them!

I had to take my screen down to get access to the speaker wires, but thankfully my Anthem MRX-1120 has multiple speaker configs and so I could create a config with no LCR crossover, no subs, no surrounds/ceiling leaving just the LCR configured. I also disabled ARC room correction since it would be incorrect. The PSA MTM-210 are very efficient themselves, but I had to trim down the Titans by a further 3dB to hit 75dB at the MLP on the SPL meter. I didn't take down the PSA yet and fully install the Titans as I want to try and do a comparison, and the kids wanted to watch a movie while we were out last night and so I had to move the Titans back out of the way and put the screen back up.

Initial impression though is very impressed. The imaging is crazy good. I'd forgot to switch the Anthem from using AnthemLogic-Music mode for 2 channel sources, and didn't realize the center wasn't on until I got up and moved right next to it. Switching modes turned it on, with not much difference in the sound even though all of Adele's voice on Hello was now coming only from the center. I then left them playing Heather Nova for a few hours to break them in while I had other things to be done. After I got back, I sat down for about 30 minutes and listened to my girlfriend (I wish). The listening distance was only 11' (and so will be pushed back a further 15" once I get them behind the screen wall) but it sounded like Heather's voice was coming from about a foot above the center speaker, with the sound stage being wider and deeper than the layout too. I hope moving them back doesn't regress that, though I haven't finished building out my custom acoustical plan which calls for some of the insulation to be stripped foiled for diffusion on the front side walls (and elsewhere).

Hopefully I get some more time today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_094634.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	2170722  

Last edited by dlinsley; 06-04-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Whoops, I just realized this is your build thread. Sorry I've added this to the general thread.
post #183 of 195 Old 07-18-2017, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey Vic, question for you sir. Did you line just the upper portion of the cabinet with insulation or all of it? I know we shouldn't block the ports but didn't know if I should line that area with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 195 Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
Hey Vic, question for you sir. Did you line just the upper portion of the cabinet with insulation or all of it? I know we shouldn't block the ports but didn't know if I should line that area with something.
Just the portion above the ports. No need to line the lower portion.
post #185 of 195 Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
My shipment of 615LX components came in last week.. Already built my x-overs, time to start cutting wood!

I ended up fabricating my own x-over boards, been a fun project thus far.
post #186 of 195 Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerumas View Post
If you have the deeper cabinet you can line the back wall of the bottom section as well but if you have the shallower/wider cabinet there is no need to do that.
post #187 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey, All the Titan owners, trying to see if I get a response since this thread has been dormant for a while. Now that you folks have been enjoying the Titans for sometime, can you provide some feedback on how much more you are loving the experience? Also, I'm planning on building my HT in a 25'x15'x7' room and wondering if the Titans would be an overkill. But ever since I saw the Titans I keep going back to it..My other option is to go with the 1099's. Please advice. I have them both added to the cart and need some sanity check before I bite the bullet.
post #188 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilsinma View Post
Hey, All the Titan owners, trying to see if I get a response since this thread has been dormant for a while. Now that you folks have been enjoying the Titans for sometime, can you provide some feedback on how much more you are loving the experience? Also, I'm planning on building my HT in a 25'x15'x7' room and wondering if the Titans would be an overkill. But ever since I saw the Titans I keep going back to it..My other option is to go with the 1099's. Please advice. I have them both added to the cart and need some sanity check before I bite the bullet.
I think jk 7.2 room is around that size maybe a tad shorter and his titans sound great in there

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #189 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
I own the 1099's and have heard the Titans numerous times. They are both great speakers but if you can properly fit the Titans and your subs up front without compromising performance and they are within your budget, I would get the Titans over the 1099's. The difference that have have heard is a more smooth midrange and top end on the Titan without giving up anything in dynamics.
Jk7.2 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #190 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Overkill.... AVS DIY Subsection....

You're insane to be able to afford/build the Titans, and not do it. Get some LX's. Do you know how much overkill that would be? Who cares. No one here. We live for overkill.

Titan LX. It's not even a question. Have you not read Blazar's posts? Seen the multitude of good things about the Titans?

Does the name alone not explain it to you? To call something a "Titan" online, you bring your A game, or you get ridiculed away, this is the internet after all. Something that calls itself the Titan LX, brings its A game.

Build your dream speakers... don't screw around.
post #191 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
post #192 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I think jk 7.2 room is around that size maybe a tad shorter and his titans sound great in there

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Have been going through JK's thread all evening..Great inspiration..
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #193 of 195 Old 05-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Overkill.... AVS DIY Subsection....

You're insane to be able to afford/build the Titans, and not do it. Get some LX's. Do you know how much overkill that would be? Who cares. No one here. We live for overkill.

Titan LX. It's not even a question. Have you not read Blazar's posts? Seen the multitude of good things about the Titans?

Does the name alone not explain it to you? To call something a "Titan" online, you bring your A game, or you get ridiculed away, this is the internet after all. Something that calls itself the Titan LX, brings its A game.

Build your dream speakers... don't screw around.
HEHEHEH..I came here for this exact motivation..I was thinking along the same lines when I was asking that question..If we would all be content, this forum wouldn't exist..Thank you, guys..Placing the order as soon my items are in stock..I don't want to mess around with the XO board and waiting on the assembled unit to be in stock..
post #194 of 195 Old 05-20-2018, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
With that size room, I'd go with the Titans. Your room is about the same width as mine and deeper. I had the 1099s, which I really liked, but swapped them out for the Titans.
post #195 of 195 Old 06-25-2018, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want to build these ...but uncertain as I don't know if I will like the sound quality. Anyone kind enough to "host"a listening session in the Central NJ area? ...beers and dinner on me!

Last edited by patels922; 09-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page