what to do with dayton rss390hf sealed - f20? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bgtighe23
  • 1 Post By ja00

post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
what to do with dayton rss390hf sealed - f20?

i have a pair of dayton rss390hf sealed around 3.5cf each on a crown xls1500 in my small HT that i only run for movies and am interested in a change. thought about rebuilding them ported but dont really wanted complicated dsp. I run a mfw15 on a bash300 for watching tv and music and turn on the amps for the other 2 for movies. all subs are up front.

main question is: would one cinema f20 with the 390hf in a corner give more satisfying output than two sealed 390hf up front between the mains?

also, could an f20 be mounted in the adjacent room under my stairs firing into the room through a custom vent? It might make the mouth 4-5 inches longer i guess.

any suggestions would be great. I know i could someday just build 2 18" martys but interested in using what i have.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craigs HT layout.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1980097  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiscoDuck View Post
i have a pair of dayton rss390hf sealed around 3.5cf each on a crown xls1500 in my small HT that i only run for movies and am interested in a change. thought about rebuilding them ported but dont really wanted complicated dsp. I run a mfw15 on a bash300 for watching tv and music and turn on the amps for the other 2 for movies. all subs are up front.

main question is: would one cinema f20 with the 390hf in a corner give more satisfying output than two sealed 390hf up front between the mains?

also, could an f20 be mounted in the adjacent room under my stairs firing into the room through a custom vent? It might make the mouth 4-5 inches longer i guess.

any suggestions would be great. I know i could someday just build 2 18" martys but interested in using what i have.

thanks
no need to be scared when you hear the word DSP. A single HPF is really easy to apply and this forum is full of people willing to help with that.
not all amps have DSP capabilities and the vast majority of ported subs aren't supplied with DSP.

a HPF is a relatively cheap investment applied for ported cabs to protect the driver so you can use the driver to its full potential without ripping it apart under the tuning point of the cab.

i forget the exact dB gain, but you can potentially gain around 8-12dB going from sealed for ported around tune.
I would say use what you have. so if you already have two 390hf drivers, port them.
Brazle likes this.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 150
What do you feel is missing in your current setup? Do you have some way to measure the response of your existing subs - REW or something similar?

It may be all you need is to reposition your existing subs, corners like you mentioned or nearer like behind the couch as nearfield.
wvu80 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
What do you feel is missing in your current setup? Do you have some way to measure the response of your existing subs - REW or something similar?
That was my first thought as well. I have a single RSS390HF in a Reference 15 kit w/Yung SD 500 plate amp. It is fantastic for music and with movies it rattles the walls in my living room. With two subs you get a theoretical 3 db gain and more even sound distribution.

If you want more low end the Ultimax digs deeper, and of course if you want more horsepower, you can get a bigger horse. Is there something your current dual subs aren't giving you?

Last edited by wvu80; 02-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
An F20 will beat two sealed HF15s. But it's 3x the size. Putting the F20 in that wall probably won't be great.

You could lay the F20 down where your subs are now, and move the mfw behind the couch for a nearfield effect.

Or put the mfw in the F20, and move both HF15s behind the couch.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
nearfield not for me

I tried a jbl 4648a behind my couch and although i liked the tactile sensation, it just gave me a killer headache. Maybe i should consider some tactile transducers in my seating. Having my room on a concrete slab with front and side concrete foundation walls seem to make satisfying bass more difficult.

I do want to try something different so i may build an f20

thanks for the advice

Craigs Basement Mancave
Marantz Sr7009 jbl 5.3.4
2x rss390f on 2x xls1500
mfw15 on bash300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page