DIYSG Volts for Surround & Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtg90

post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DIYSG Volts for Surround & Atmos

I am working on getting details together for my new theater build and I was hoping for some feedback on surrounds. I have been chatting with Erich via email to get some more guidance on speaker choices, but don't want to bombard him with all my questions.

The basics are that I have a 16' x 25' x 8' rough framed area for the theater with one partially open side wall (8ft). I plan to place the screen at about 28" from the front wall to allow using 3 Titan 615LX's for Front Sound Stage. I have a Emo XMC-1, XPA-2 & XPA-5. I plan to purchase another XPA (or 2 to run Atmos ceiling speakers). This brings me to my next questions.

In an effort to maximize seating space I am hoping to inset the surrounds into the walls and place the atmos in the ceiling. Right now my preliminary plan is using (4) Volt-8 LX's for surrounds and (4) Volt-6 LX's in the Atmos flat packs for the ceiling. So do I use regular boxes or angle for the surrounds. I have free range to mount them at nearly any height. Why angle if you can place at ear level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 601 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
The reason for placing surrounds above ear level is to prevent say the right surround speaker from blasting directly into the ear of the right most listener and their head blocking the sound from reaching the others to the left. Positioning the surrounds a bit above head level and angling them down gives better coverage for all the listeners.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
The reason for placing surrounds above ear level is to prevent say the right surround speaker from blasting directly into the ear of the right most listener and their head blocking the sound from reaching the others to the left. Positioning the surrounds a bit above head level and angling them down gives better coverage for all the listeners.
When you throw ATMOS into the mix dolby suggests putting the listener level speakers at ear level to create a separation between the height or ceiling speakers unlike if you were just running 5.1 or 7.1. How important do you think that is?

I'm asking because I am about to do the same thing build some volts for rear surrounds and atmos. To compliment these awesome F-15's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 601 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
I still think having the side/rear surround speakers slightly above head level is a good idea unless you are planning to be the only one in the theater. Look at how the speakers are positioned in any dolby atmos mixing or screening room, surround speakers are well above ear level.

You are far less likely to notice the side/rear surrounds being 1-1.5' above ear level then you would having the person next to you block the high frequencies from the speaker if placed at ear level which would tend to kill the sound field.

This is not unlike listening to stereo music and having someone block your view of one of the speakers, totally kills the sound and imaging.
zillerr likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I still think having the side/rear surround speakers slightly above head level is a good idea unless you are planning to be the only one in the theater. Look at how the speakers are positioned in any dolby atmos mixing or screening room, surround speakers are well above ear level.

You are far less likely to notice the side/rear surrounds being 1-1.5' above ear level then you would having the person next to you block the high frequencies from the speaker if placed at ear level which would tend to kill the sound field.

This is not unlike listening to stereo music and having someone block your view of one of the speakers, totally kills the sound and imaging.

I knew there would be a great explanation! This makes perfect sense. Above the ear and angled it is I plan to partially recess them into the wall or a hallow column to prevent people from hitting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
diysb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page