seeking suggestions about B&C sub. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
The B&C stuff is meant to play loud in pa type scenarios.
Great point. This did not occur to me and it makes a lot of sense! That's why I like posting on Avs.. So many experts and suggestions!
I like your comment.. I would rather buy something with higher fidelity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Great point. This did not occur to me and it makes a lot of sense! That's why I like posting on Avs.. So many experts and suggestions!
I like your comment.. I would rather buy something with higher fidelity!
As notnyt and some others suggested, I'd recommend some sealed subs around the room in the right places. Either the Acoustic Elegance (out of Green Bay) TD-15, TD-18+ or PE/Dayton's reference 15 or 18" (aluminum cone models).

Does your LS10 have Dirac? You have tons of calibration options with that processor to dial in what you are after. What area of WI are you located in?
audvid likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #33 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Are you looking to DIY or buy a ready made off the shelf sub? What is your budget? Size/power restrictions?

Also are you looking for the sub to contribute upto 300Hz or operate strictly in the 40-80Hz band?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Are you looking to DIY or buy a ready made off the shelf sub? What is your budget? Size/power restrictions?
I am open to DYI or ready made. I will look into the green bay company. I am only 1.5 hours away and just might drive up there. I am located in Milwaukee.
Budget would be in the $700 to $1000 range.
Size would be 15" cone max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Also are you looking for the sub to contribute upto 300Hz or operate strictly in the 40-80Hz band?
I don't know the answer to this question. I was looking for something that is very good in the 40-80 hz band but am open to suggestions - if for example, you tell me that I should get a sub which is very tight and good to 300 hz.
post #35 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 182
What I meant by size was if there were any restrictions on the enclosure size. If you can accommodate large boxes and are willing to take on the project then you could try to build a straight FLH, similar to these -

http://www.funktion-one.com/products/ds15/

http://inlowsound.weebly.com/diy-80hz-midbass-horn.html

http://www.hennesseysounddesign.com/mid-bass/

These are not long enough to reach 40Hz though so such a horn will be large, particularly long. Such horns are usually not sold as off the shelf, so you would need to design/build it or get someone to design/build it for you. You could try folding it as well but it does detract from the "snappy" sound. Are you looking for 1 sub or multiples?

On a more practical note, I think that since the B&C driver works for you in a ported enclosure then just buy/build more of that if space is an issue. It should not be too difficult to build or get someone to build an enclosure for you and you could use the 14" driver you use or the PLB76 or the Beyma/RCF I linked previously. As I understand the primary purpose is to redirect the bass so these should work fine for you. As for ready made commercial cabinets, there are quite a few which use a 15" driver in a ported box however the driver used is not always listed, if you want to use a particular driver then it might be best to build it yourself or get it custom built. You could ask SLS as well if they could supply you with such a cabinet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

The AE drivers are well regarded for their low inductance, if they have some stock you could have a listen and decide if its for you.

Personally I think your best bet is to get someone to custom build you a cabinet or build it yourself, if space is an issue I would copy the SLS cabinet, if you have space then try the FLH. Inlow sound does build their own designs and possibly custom, you could try speaking to them about their designs and costs, hennessey sound designs seems to do custom jobs, you may find someone closer to you locally who is willing to take on the jobs too. John at AE used to take custom jobs as well, I do not know if he still does.

All IMO of course.
audvid likes this.
post #36 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
I wouldn't use a horn if fidelity is a concern.
audvid likes this.
post #37 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Good point. Horn is too big anyway. I did not realize they would be that big.
I will look at the green bay company and the other one suggested.
post #38 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
As notnyt and some others suggested, I'd recommend some sealed subs around the room in the right places. Either the Acoustic Elegance (out of Green Bay) TD-15, TD-18+ or PE/Dayton's reference 15 or 18" (aluminum cone models).

Does your LS10 have Dirac? You have tons of calibration options with that processor to dial in what you are after. What area of WI are you located in?
I do not have dirac. Between AE and PE (aluminum cone), is one preferable to the other? Aluminum cone is faster?

Thanks
post #39 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Buy at least two Dayton reference series 15“ drivers, a sealed flat pack box (or build your own sealed) for each, get a USB mic and learn to use REW or similar to adjust the location and settings for each sub.

I think you will be pleased.
audvid likes this.
post #40 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Neither of those are exactly high fidelity. The aurasound posted earlier was a better suggestion, but it lacks efficiency compared to others and is designed to dig lower. You might also want to look at the 2216nd, 2265G-1, or 2265HPL from JBL. Other options are the AE TD15X or similar.
I like the idea of 2216nd.. because it is being used in their $20k speakers
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System
And also in their synthesis speakers (which is their top of the line).
How ever, I am unable to find the 2216nd.
I can find 2226h, easily.. but it looks different (shallow)
Is 2216nd an older model?
Tempting to find and buy the jbl 2216nd.. probably around $500, which is ok.
Not sure whether the 2265hpl or 2265g-1 are almost the same, or as good.. or what the differences, if any are.. Can you please comment?

My next choice is probably going to be the AE TD15x. around $350, which is ok.
I am hesitant to buy the Dayton Audio's $135 speaker.. frankly, because price is so low.

Last edited by audvid; 03-16-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #41 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of 2216nd.. because it is being used in their $20k speakers
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System
And also in their synthesis speakers (which is their top of the line).
How ever, I am unable to find the 2216nd.
I can find 2226h, easily.. but it looks different (shallow)
Is 2216nd an older model?
Tempting to find and buy the jbl 2216nd.. probably around $500, which is ok.
Not sure whether the 2265hpl or 2265g-1 are almost the same, or as good.. or what the differences, if any are.. Can you please comment?

My next choice is probably going to be the AE TD15x. around $350, which is ok.
I am hesitant to buy the Dayton Audio's $135 speaker.. frankly, because price is so low.
I wouldn't recommend the 2226h, the technology is ancient compared. The 2265G-1, 2265HPL and the 2216ND are all modern and better drivers and fairly similar. 2216nd is what's used in the M2, it's a modern driver. 2265G is used in many of JBL's subs as is the 2265hpl. Different impedances. 2216nd, 2265g-1, 2265hpl, or the ae td15 are all excellent drivers.
audvid likes this.
post #42 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
OK - it seems like you are not really sure what you want. That is not a criticism, it is an observation.

Seriously consider two of these (they are among those recommended earlier) - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--295-469

While there are other subs that might be better with different priorities, this meets your criteria for a small box.

They are also available bundled, with an easy-to-assemble enclosure: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ndle--300-7093

And, although I am sure you will like them, if you don't I will buy them from you at a tragically large discount.

That last part was me kidding.

Mostly.
audvid likes this.

Last edited by Jungle Cruiser; 03-16-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #43 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Seriously. The AE and JBL are great drivers. The Dayton reference series are no slouch, and at the low listening levels desired would be indistinguishable from other great drivers level and frequency matched. The Parts express flat pack kit is a no brainier. Buy two or more, they are cheap. It isn't about having lots of output, but smooth response, and smart people long ago figured out that several subs strategically placed around a room and independently adjusted is the route to optimum bass regardless of listening level.
audvid likes this.
post #44 of 67 Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The B&C stuff is meant to play loud in pa type scenarios. They're not bad, there are just better options if fidelity is your ultimate goal without requiring lots of SPL. Drivers like the JBLs I listed have lots of tech to improve linearity and reduce distortion. They're very low inductance and have differential drive motors with shorting rings. The AE is similar to JBL, also low inductance and very linear. I've heard all of the drivers mentioned but not the lower end B&C you linked.
Does SPL say anything about actual distortion?
Maybe, just maybe, these pro drivers have to play loud with very acceptable distortion, and once you use them for home alplications, with lower SPL and excursion, the distortion goes significantly lower...

15PLB76 and 18SW115 is like night and day.
PLB76 has curved cone, paper-ish look. 18SW has straight, heavier, stiffer, better impregnation.
PLB76 has ceramic ring magnetic structure, older motor structure and smaller coil. SW115 has neodymium magnet, newer motor structure with significant amount of optimalisations, larger beafier coil. It is not only more powerfull driver. It's more rugged and refined device. Less distortions, especially for excursions over 4mm.
audvid likes this.
post #45 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the 2226h, the technology is ancient compared. The 2265G-1, 2265HPL and the 2216ND are all modern and better drivers and fairly similar. 2216nd is what's used in the M2, it's a modern driver. 2265G is used in many of JBL's subs as is the 2265hpl. Different impedances. 2216nd, 2265g-1, 2265hpl, or the ae td15 are all excellent drivers.
I can find the 2265hpl easily at parts express. only $330.. I would like to find a 2216nd but am not able to do so. Is it not sold anymore? I like the idea of 2216nd, because it is a part of the $20k speaker pair. Any ideas for sources.. Google search is not getting me any.. other than "reconing".. whats with this reconing.. why are there so many reconing options for this? My 20 year old speakers have never needed reconing.
post #46 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Berka View Post
Does SPL say anything about actual distortion?
Maybe, just maybe, these pro drivers have to play loud with very acceptable distortion, and once you use them for home alplications, with lower SPL and excursion, the distortion goes significantly lower...

15PLB76 and 18SW115 is like night and day.
PLB76 has curved cone, paper-ish look. 18SW has straight, heavier, stiffer, better impregnation.
PLB76 has ceramic ring magnetic structure, older motor structure and smaller coil. SW115 has neodymium magnet, newer motor structure with significant amount of optimalisations, larger beafier coil. It is not only more powerfull driver. It's more rugged and refined device. Less distortions, especially for excursions over 4mm.
Good points.
post #47 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Speaker Exchange sells the 2216. BUT before you go and just spend money try listening to some of these. Some are better for the application and not just overall.
post #48 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
because my preference is to de-emphasize the explosions and augment/suppliment, for example, male vocals (just an example).
Ok I m going to ignore the rest of what your looking for and focus on the above part. If that is the part of the frequency range you are wanting to hit give or take a little higher and a little lower, what you are most likely wanting is a midbass module.
post #49 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
I do not have dirac. Between AE and PE (aluminum cone), is one preferable to the other? Aluminum cone is faster?

Thanks
No woofer cone is "faster" than another. The whole idea that one subwoofer is faster than another is totally misguided. "Faster" is not the right word to describe whatever it is that you are looking for. The speed of the woofer only describes the frequency it is reproducing. When playing 50Hz, the cone is moving in and out 50 times a second. You would not want a subwoofer that moved faster than 50 times a second when playing 50Hz.

You may be looking for low distortion. Perhaps someone else knows what people mean when they say they are looking for a "faster" subwoofer. A 21" sub is not slower than a 15" sub. I read something recently that struck me as a good rule of thumb. If it moves, it distorts. It is an extreme simplification and generalization but the less movement needed to reproduce the sound, the lower the distortion. So a 21" sub with it's larger surface area has to move less (excursion) to reach the same volume. On that basis, a 21" sub has a significant advantage in achieving lower distortion compared to a 15" sub. The same result can be achieved with multiple drivers.
post #50 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks to all the suggestions.. I have ordered the JBL 2216ND. There were great suggestions.. So many good choices. It was difficult to choose..
Finally, I made the decision on JBL, because - reaching the green bay company was difficult. They would not answer the phone. Speaker exchange people answered the phone..
I was concerned about buying a new speaker from a place which recones speakers but based on the conversation, I became comfortable (enough!).
And the convincing point for me was that the 2216ND was used in the M2s.
And thanks notnyt, for being so informative on so many models of jbl!
post #51 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I am very pleased that there are so many knowledgeable people here, like notnyt, Peter Berka, Jungle Cruiser, Bigus, Decadent_Spectre, Mark Seaton and eng_ have offered useful advice. And notnyt - your comment that B&C are meant for loudness, stuck with me.. that's another reason I went with JBL 2216nd - because the M2 speakers are not concert speakers..

Last edited by audvid; 03-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #52 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Another question: Now that I have ordered the JBL 2216ND, how do I find a cabinet.
Here is my criteria:
1. I am not particularly concerned about the aesthetics for this 1st sub. I would probably hide it.
2. I don't mind DYI. I will probably just spray paint it black.
3. I hate handling fiber glass. which is needed to fill the sub. I will seek a cotton alternative. Any others options?
4. I was told that I should seek a sub designed for this particular driver.. How does that work?
Thanks
post #53 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Anyone build using the 21SW152? It's pricey but curious if given its huge magnet and capability if anyone's modeled it or better yet did a build? The newer DS is 9db more sensitive so it'll reach Xmax with less power, but if power is available, and this has incredible power handling capability wondering how it will perform down around the 20s? It's FS is around 30-35 iirc.

Where are the Seaton curves? The other BC thread? I'd like to see those.
Thx
post #54 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Anyone build using the 21SW152? It's pricey but curious if given its huge magnet and capability if anyone's modeled it or better yet did a build? The newer DS is 9db more sensitive so it'll reach Xmax with less power, but if power is available, and this has incredible power handling capability wondering how it will perform down around the 20s? It's FS is around 30-35

Thx
Strike that it's only 3db more sensitive. Manufacturer data shows at 35hz tune it'll reach Xmax at appx 1500watts and output appx 127db. 93 db at 1w/1m at 35hz. That means at a lower tune it will most certainly reach Xmax at much less power so probably going to lose 3db from that 93 if I had to take a stab at it.
post #55 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Another question: Now that I have ordered the JBL 2216ND, how do I find a cabinet.
Here is my criteria:
1. I am not particularly concerned about the aesthetics for this 1st sub. I would probably hide it.
2. I don't mind DYI. I will probably just spray paint it black.
3. I hate handling fiber glass. which is needed to fill the sub. I will seek a cotton alternative. Any others options?
4. I was told that I should seek a sub designed for this particular driver.. How does that work?
Thanks
If you don't mind DIY just pick up some MDF, most everyone uses it, and build a box to the desired volume and tuning (port depth if your going ported) as for fill go to home depot or lowes and pick up some of the shredded denim or that egg crate mattress pad stuff. Those seem to be the most common. You could also check the DIYSG pages they have a selection of pre cut DIY flat pack sub boxes.
post #56 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 5004
Quote:
Anyone build using the 21SW152? It's pricey but curious if given its huge magnet and capability if anyone's modeled it or better yet did a build? The newer DS is 9db more sensitive so it'll reach Xmax with less power, but if power is available, and this has incredible power handling capability wondering how it will perform down around the 20s? It's FS is around 30-35 iirc.

Thx
@steve morgan has these in boxes tuned to 19 hz., his dad just bought my LCR set up a month back. Hopefully he sees this and can tell you more about the box he has these drivers loaded into.
post #57 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM

post #58 of 67 Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:

Thx
Got 21DS115.
21SW115 is better suited for real PA usage in 35Hz range. Has little more coil area, and the coil is made of copper. The driver should be better for more accoustical loading.

21DS115 has longer voice coil, and will hold its own when you are excursion limited. I.E. home usage. It has tiny bit more motor strenght than 21SW115, but less voice coil area and the coil wire is made of Al, so it will not stand the last decibel torture as well as 21SW115.

Both drivers are newer generation and well optimized and cooled. I highly recommend these. Also, it has very wide working range. From about 150l box tuned to 35-40Hz to home usage 200+l tuned under 25Hz. Can do it all.
It can replace two medium 18"s with the same output. No problem. Coil size, motor strenght and displacement volume is the same.

If you're about putting most power into the most compact box, this is it. Next stop is 2x 18IPAL, next stop is M-force. ;-)

Last edited by Petr Berka; 03-18-2017 at 12:13 AM.
post #59 of 67 Old 03-18-2017, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
@notnyt Why not? Explain please. Thanks

Last edited by redliner140; 03-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #60 of 67 Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I spoke to the guy at Speaker exchange. Seems knowledgeable. He says, he has been selling speakers for 40 years.. No reason for me to not believe him.
He did suggest Eminnence definimax 15 being as good (at half the price) but I decided to buy the JBL 2216nd from him instead - assuming that, even if Emminnence is good enough and he is correct, he probably has a profit motive on the eminence.
He did seem to know what he is talking about.

He told me that I should not get a sealed cabinet and that a sealed cabinet would make it sound exactly opposite to my desire of avoiding boominess!

DYI sound group said that jbl 2216nd is not a subwoofer and that they have no cabinet for it.. Its fine..

I ordered this cabinet:
Here is the link

I believe the jbl 2216nd would work fine. and if it does not... notnyt is going to hear from me! . I bought it, because of you notnyt. And you better not say that "its the cheap cabinet"!
Thanks.

Last edited by audvid; 03-18-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page