Here we go again! After another break where we moved to a different town and bought a way bigger house and immediately discovered it was a money pit and are now just getting our heads above water again after 6 months of killing ourselves, I am finishing these subs! Lots of good news with the new house, one thing is that the garage is quite a bit bigger than the one in our last house. This means more room for tools.
Also, we are on enough land now that building a pole barn at some point in the future is an actual possibility. One day, I will have a dedicated shop.
Anyway, just before we moved, I made a big push to get the subs veneered with the veneer I had bought like 2 years earlier. The original idea was to have these subs front facing, like they were in my livingroom for the last 3+ years, but for the new house, they will be upfiring end table types. The veneer for the body of the subs is called Ziricote. You should look it up as it is super cool with lots of character. I am also using the rest of the birch veneer that I had from my curvy 1099's and picked up some walnut as well. Always mix your woods!
Just like for my 1099's, I used the traditional contact cement method. It's fast, secure and produces great results. No fooling around with an iron necessary.
The first photos continue progress from 3 years ago where I finished up trimming the curved layers, adding two more layers of 3/4" MDF onto the baffle side and cutting out the woofer hole.
Following that, the subs were put to use in their bare form for a few years until this spring. That's when the veneering process started.