Looking for feedback on Fusion 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By Erich H
  • 1 Post By STL D
  • 1 Post By chadsmith013
  • 1 Post By STL D
  • 1 Post By 18Hurts
  • 1 Post By 18Hurts

post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for feedback on Fusion 8

Hello eveyone,

We're working on upgrading our existing setup. It's an Onkyo HT520. Had it since 2004. Now looking for diy setup.

Been researching and many people indicate to start with sub first. Ordered a Dayton UM18 along with Inuke 3000DSP. Will be building a sealed enclosure. Got them last week.

Room type: living room
Room size: 18x18x8
Distance from TV: 16'
Front L/R speaker distance: 7'

Furniture under TV is 7' wide. 24" high. Fusion 8 speakers on it would place them close to ear level.

We mainly watch TV and movies. Music on occasion. My favorite is action. Explosions, race cars, fire fights. And listen to it pretty loud, when I can get away with it. I'm asked "do you think this is an imax theater". I say "no, maybe one day"

Because of size, I was checking out fusion 8 lcr. 10' might be too big. Needs to pass wife's approval.

What other diy speakers other than fusion should I consider, if any?

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love my Fusion-8 LCR setup, but I'm only sitting 8' back. Doubt they'd suffice at double the distance.

Took a look at the Onkyo HT520 specs ... if you're OK with them, & just looking for an upgrade, the Fusion-8's will be a definite step up.

For a few bucks more ... I'd suggest you look at the Cinema-8's for LR, and either an 88-special or a Fusion-8 Alchemy center.

Last edited by scotthal; 04-12-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
They would do okay at that distance, just add more power. I've heard two Volt-8's with a few hundred watts and most people will leave the room due to how loud they are.
chadsmith013, Rowan611 and STL D like this.

Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am in the process of finishing up 3 Fusion 8's for L/C/R duty in our basement home theater. It may be a week or so before they are ready, because life and children don't allow for finishing them quickly. I'm happy to provide feedback.

However, my listening position will only be about 10 feet from the Fusion 8's, so your experience may be different.

-Chris
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 600
The Cinema 8 is more efficient than the Fusion 8, and will give more volume with less power. Probably cheaper to build those than to get an external amp for your LCR. Pair with the Fusion 8 Center as well. All are Jeff Bagby designs, never heard a bad thing about them.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
The Cinema 8 is more efficient than the Fusion 8, and will give more volume with less power. Probably cheaper to build those than to get an external amp for your LCR. Pair with the Fusion 8 Center as well. All are Jeff Bagby designs, never heard a bad thing about them.
He stated that size is a factor here, unfortunately.

Although, the fusion 10's may be the answer to his situation. Not a whole lot bigger than the fusion 8, but 4dB louder at the same power level. That'd easily make up for the difference in space.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post

Although, the fusion 10's may be the answer to his situation. Not a whole lot bigger than the fusion 8, but 4dB louder at the same power level. That'd easily make up for the difference in space.
I love my Fusion 10's!!!!
18Hurts likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP
Nearfield: 2 Dayton HO 15's w/Inuke 6000DSP
post #8 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll look into fusion 10. May have to put them on a stand next to the funiture instead of on top of it. Going to che k it out tonight.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
I love my Fusion 10's!!!!
Same. It's a shame there isn't more people using them on this forum. Such an unsung hero.

First time I haven't been planning out future sound upgrades in awhile.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
I was in your situation about 15 months ago

I wanted something really efficient so I could hit reference with a simple AVR (my wife won't put up with racks of equipment) She also wanted something that was not huge, she did like the size of the Fusion 8. I fashioned cardboard mock-ups of the Fusion 8 and 10 and she liked the 8 better. Informed her that I would need a more powerful AVR to get my specs but the larger Fusion 10 did not require that level of power.

The Fusion 10 it was, she did not want Fusion 8 towers so I now have them done and am content with the sound quality, dispersion, imaging etc. so consider it a win.

One of my quirks is when deciding between two speakers, I tend to go for the more efficient one. If you don't want/need reference from an AVR, the Fusion 8 or upcoming HTM 8 will do it for you. Very curious about the HTM 8, it uses the same horn as the Fusion 10 so might fit perfectly between the two. Throw in the Concentric 8 in the mix also, another great option so I'm glad I can help by adding even more choices.

Good luck!
STL D likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post

Oh, absolutely true. Depends on how size matters, the Cinema 8 has a slightly smaller footprint, but is taller than the F10. Both have about the same sensitivity. Waveguide should sit slightly lower on the 8. Cost is in a similar ballpark. There's also the Fusion 8 towers which would be floorstanding.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My Fusion-8's spec at 94 dB sensitivity; 300W suggested max yields ~25 dB headroom; 5m listening distance (OP's choice) causes ~14 dB attenuation. Pencils out to ~105 dB max SPL (== THX req) at the specified listening distance, using the speaker's maximum rated power & more juice than you'll get out of a typical AVR. Room gain may add a few dB, distortion at max levels (speaker, amp) may reduce the usable dynamic range.

Q: What am I missing? Eric H sez "They would do okay at that distance" ...
post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking into slightly larger speakers on stand. Looking into fusion 10 and others.

For tv and movies, which other speakers other than fusion 10 should I also check out? I'll power them with external amp if needed in the future.

Budget: $250 - $275 for each lcr.

Concentrating on mains for now. Will work on surrounds in the future.

Thanks.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If the Fusion 8 just isn't enough for you for mains duty (I suspect they will be fine), they are pretty easy to repurpose as surrounds or another room in the house. Build two and run a phantom center channel if you really want to minimize your up-front costs. Good advice even if you go bigger to start. (Hint: LCR budget increases by 50% if you only build LR and run phantom center which is quite reasonable for constant directivity designs).

With all due respect, most of the folks here are nucking futz regarding performance "needs" It is all about want
post #15 of 15 Old 04-14-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post
With all due respect, most of the folks here are nucking futz regarding performance "needs" It is all about want
I resemble that remark!

Another way to look at it is you require less power which saves on electricity, keeps the load down during hot days to help the grid. That helps prevents brown outs and protects the environment. Saving the planet one efficient speaker at a time, for the children!

Time to take my meds...
nlpearman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page