Cheap 2.1 Amps off eBay - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cheap 2.1 Amps off eBay

Not sure if this is more an amp question? or if in the DIY speaker section... but it is a DIY project so posting here.

I'm not building anything high end, I'm actually building an Arcade Cabinet, and was looking at either gutting a 2.1 set of PC speakers, or jumping on eBay and buying something like these

Both pretty cheap, and for an arcade cabinet I'm sure will do the trick.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these? and how to power them?

One says "DC 12-24V, wide input voltage" the other says something about not using a transformer? Ideally, not sure if possible, I'd like to use PC Power Supply, and run the power off of it (outputs are [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]).

Same as if I get PC speakers like Logitec Z313 speakers. No AC adapter, all done in the amp in the sub so, idea was chop the plug off, chop the end off one of the power outs on the PSU and solder together. Try to reduce the number of wires and plugs and adapters inside the cabinet basically.

Not the typical Home Theatre question I know, but hoping someone has some feedback/direction about the eBay amps and/or the idea of running the power direct from the PSU.

Thanks

Last edited by rboster; 07-13-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: ebay links removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Many people use a 19V laptop power supply for the TPA3116. I have a couple of them

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #3 of 17 Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be using something like this for the Arcade build

Corsair CX430 PSU

Though still debating between a full PC based arcade system, or a raspberry pi based system. RaspPi is definitely cheaper and I already have one, but more limited on games (ie no PS2 games or arcade games newer than around 1993).

With a full PSU, I'll have a few extra cables coming off it for sure since I'll have 1 drive and a GPU, no extra drives, DVD drives, etc...

if I go RaspPi... well... I have a hub to power stuff like the arcade button lights, but will need something like that laptop power supply for the amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone else used the TPA3116's?

Any thoughts on powering with the power supply unit of a PC?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 391
there's a 10k post thread about the TPA3116 on diyA forum

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #6 of 17 Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
Has anyone else used the TPA3116's?

Any thoughts on powering with the power supply unit of a PC?
TI makes good stuff, I'm sure the chips perform well but 2 of the chips would cost you about $8 cheapest, so I'm gonna have to pull a skeptical hippo on getting that and the whole board for under $8.

It's generally a good idea to stay away from buying electronic components from ebay.

If you want a really cheap PSU, look at MPJA's site:
http://www.mpja.com/24-Volt-Power-Su...info/16015+PS/
post #7 of 17 Old 05-24-2017, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 97
post #8 of 17 Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
TI makes good stuff, I'm sure the chips perform well but 2 of the chips would cost you about $8 cheapest, so I'm gonna have to pull a skeptical hippo on getting that and the whole board for under $8.

It's generally a good idea to stay away from buying electronic components from ebay.

If you want a really cheap PSU, look at MPJA's site:
http://www.mpja.com/24-Volt-Power-Su...info/16015+PS/
Thanks, but I think what I was saying may have been missed... it's not for anything high end, it's for an arcade cabinet for playing old NES games and arcade games from the '80s, maybe SNES, N64 Playstion 1 and 2 games. The cabinet will have a PSU in it for running the computer board.

I'm wondering if

1) The $12CAD 2.1 amp will be good enough or if known to be very bad amps and basically unusable for anything
2) Can I run the amp from the power of the computer's PSU vs having to buy another PSU and adding to all the wires and plugs and heat etc...

The computer PSU will have a lot of free plugs/wires because not adding extra hdd drives or dvd drives etc... if it will work, I'd rather use one of the free cables, add a cheap $1 dongle and strip the wires, save the warranty that way.

If I can get a similar but better amp for not much more, I'd of course go for it... but I suspect this with 2x4" speakers and a 6" sub on an arcade cabinet would probably work well enough.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, but I think what I was saying may have been missed...
Nope, I get it.

Quote:
I'm wondering if
1) The $12CAD 2.1 amp will be good enough or if known to be very bad amps and basically unusable for anything
Sounds like a good question to ask the seller.

Quote:
2) Can I run the amp from the power of the computer's PSU vs having to buy another PSU and adding to all the wires and plugs and heat etc...
Yes, at the cost of power output. See Datasheet.

Quote:
The computer PSU will have a lot of free plugs/wires because not adding extra hdd drives or dvd drives etc... if it will work, I'd rather use one of the free cables, add a cheap $1 dongle and strip the wires, save the warranty that way.

If I can get a similar but better amp for not much more, I'd of course go for it... but I suspect this with 2x4" speakers and a 6" sub on an arcade cabinet would probably work well enough.
K, gotcha -cheap cheap and some more cheap. All I'm pointing out here is that there are many negative stories about getting electronics through ebay. Will the amp make noise come out of your speakers when you first buy it? Likely. Will it really have 2- 3116's under that heat sink? Possible. Will the heatsink be sized properly for 2 chips? Hahahaha, sorry I mean probably not. Will the design be something that will last more than 6 months? Anyway, do whatever I just don't think you caught my drift.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Sounds like a good question to ask the seller.
Ha... ya, I'll email the non-English speaking eBay seller in China and ask if the amp is any good.

Thing is, I see stuff like FriscoDTM saying he has a few, so, of course, I think they can't be that bad else why own a few? I am also on the DIY Audio site asking about the same thing, and apparently a lot of people own them. Though not getting much in terms of reviews on them, just that lots of people have them.

I agree, eBay electronics from China are often more junk than good... but then again, buying from Canada/USA for stuff like this often isn't any better, because half the time they're selling the exact same item, just charging more.

But, sometimes... the stuff is pretty good.

If there is a better class D, 2.1 amp option under $25CAD I'll happily take a look at that instead... I'm not someone who deals with audio very much, or DIY stuff with amps/speakers... I just want to build an Arcade Cabinet with some audio that doesn't suck, but at the same time, doesn't cost more than the cabinet is worth. It's an Arcade Cabinet, not a HiFi... 80% of the games are 8-bit audio tracks.

Project after this though, I'll be looking for audiophile quality... looking to build a clock for my nightstand with a headphone jack (since it's where I listen to music most) with a high quality DAC/AMP attached to my RaspberryPi board, running probably RuneAudio. For that, no eBay China stuff at all, except maybe the LCD screen.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

So... bought an amp, and month later still waiting for it. Any longer and I may grab a Lepai LP-2020A+ or Pyle PFA300 or something off Amazon.

Anyways... recently bought a pair of Samsung 204B monitors for my arcade build, both had identical issues. 6min to power on and very dim. Known issues with the capacitors, and $10 per monitor and I replaced all the caps for about $12 each monitor and they work great. Will have the one for the arcade build and a backup.

When researching amps and researching the monitors, I came across a lot of posts and threads about recapping amps with audio quality caps.

Do they make that much of a difference? Would they make much of a difference in a $15 eBay amp?

Amp I finally went for is the one below, because within budget, plus all the input/outputs are at the back, so I can have the volume knob external on my arcade cab, and all the wires inside.

DC 8-25V TPA3116 2X50W HIFI Digital Amplifier Board Dual Channel 2.0 Stereo AMP
post #12 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When researching amps and researching the monitors, I came across a lot of posts and threads about recapping amps with audio quality caps.

Do they make that much of a difference? Would they make much of a difference in a $15 eBay amp?
You would not hear or be able to measure a difference for the amp shown.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Cheap 2.1 Amps off eBay

The differences I find in these cheap amps is the noise floor. It's either from the input or output filter. Regardless of where it occurred it's almost always poor QC and hard to fix on your own. The amp itself is fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Trimlock; 07-13-2017 at 01:21 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

What diff would changing caps make anyways? in amps that are worth it.

I always see posts where people do it to improve the amp, but never really gets detailed as to how.... clearer sound? less distortion? more volume? less tinny?

Again, this is for an arcade cabinet, so, hopefully works fine. Most of it will be 8-bit deeps and boops... I mean, PacMan doesn't need a $100 amp to sound good I don't suspect. But I will have a few modern ones and one day may decide to double it as a juke-box... at which time I may upgrade. But like I said, that amp was ordered over 5 weeks ago and 0 tracking so, no idea if it's still coming.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
THRobinson, I'm sorry, but I had to removed the ebay links from your first post. Posting ebay links is against forum rules.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 364
People upgrade the caps with ones that are rated for the actual voltage that the device is advertised for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 17 Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
Many people use a 19V laptop power supply for the TPA3116. I have a couple of them
Just curious, which laptop PSU are you using?

I have 2 here, and the amp (finally) arrives this week (54 days later)... went to connect the Compaq e500 PSU I had, and too small. 4.8mm instead of 5.5mm. So I grabbed the PSU off an HP I have sitting here, and of course, too big (not sure the size)... so, I need to order a few small items off DigiKey, figured cut the end off the e500's PSU and get one the right size, but all I can find is that the amp has a standard 5.5mm jack, no mention of inside diameter though. Annoying because says standard 5.5mm jack and seeing about 4 inside diameters listed for that size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
amp , arcade , diy , power supply , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page