Getting these things dialled in now...
I had some issues in the last few days with imaging... Obviously these are VERY large, and I sit very close to them, so with the front subs where they were, I was limited in the toe-in I was able to achieve, and I was never quite happy with the imaging of the towers while listening to music... I also did calibrate it, but still wasnt happy, I felt like things were being pushed and pulled in too many directions to account for the imaging issues. I also tried calibrating only to around 500hz to see if that helped, maybe a little, but again, imaging was the issue.
Well, I pulled out the front subs for now, the rear ones are oddly seeming to be more powerful now, the couch seems to vibrate more... interesting. Anyway, now I am able to toe-in the towers more to image better across the middle seat. Now it sounds a lot better. As for the front subs, I will need to build slightly smaller enclosures for them to reinsert them in the system, I completely maxed out any possible width the way things were, so the new enclosures will need to be about 2-3 inches less wide... no probs. good opportunity to go truly nuts with bracing, and actually I really loved the look of the bass bins on these new towers, so I think I will design the front subs to look like that now, and the front stage will look a little more matched there.
Today I set out to calibrate hopefully once and for all the towers in their current position.
REW 6 point averaging was used, it made the process very easy, and I am pretty happy with the results now. That middle seat (lets face it, the only one I care about in my small room) now has a smooth frequency response.
Here is the pre-calibration averaging for both speakers across 6 positions in the middle seat. Now that the imaging is fixed (roughly 20 degrees toe in) this is actually not a bad average considering the only EQ on these is based on outdoor driver measurements!
Here is the Calibrated Averages, measured in 6 positions again after Eq to the summed averages above. Really good!
Here is the center channel, since thats being fed through one of my DSP Channels now too, may as well throw this in there. this speaker is on the floor, which is far from optimal, but it is what it is in my room.
Pre Cal 6pt Average
Calibrated 6pt Average
The towers have a tweeter roll off at 18khz which I have done myself, I noticed they don't like to really play above there, they naturally want to roll off, so in the X-Over settings for the DSP I simply created a 48db/Octave filter to roll off at 18k. You will clearly see that on one of the tower measurements above, I did the other tower after the measurements. I also added a 25hz roll off also 48db to save the driver from any over excursions since I am going to run these full range in my AVR.
I have heard the potential of these towers, there were a few troublesome tracks with my previous towers that seemed to have resonances which these new towers don't exhibit, so it seems I did succeed in increasing the rigidity of these.
Its actually been a pretty hard last few days trying to get these to sound good, imaging turned out to be the major issue, nobody would realistically use these in a room this small, so it wouldnt normally be an issue
Hopefully these things start sounding better today, I am going to kick back and listen to a bunch of music now.