How much "breathing room" do 1099s need? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
*tl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How much "breathing room" do 1099s need?

I built a set of L/R/C 1099s last year, with much help from this forum. The sound great, and are a huge upgrade from my prior setup.

I'm currently in the process of installing a front projector system and am considering building some sort of shadowbox around the screen, similar to what is in the attached picture, with the L and R channels elevated. (courtesy of @YW84U 's thread here). The frame around the speakers would be covered with acoustically transparent fabric.

Is this setup advisable with 1099s? It would place the L and R fairly close to the back wall, and about a 1 foot from the side walls. Is this enough space?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2189657  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I run my 1099 only a few inches away from the front wall, I do have alot of toe in so the outer corner is maybe a foot away. My front wall is fully covered in acoustical panels which helps alot. I was very surprised by how close I could move the speakers towards the wall, but it didn't have any meaningful impact on the measured performance so I was happy to reclaim more space in my room.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
*tl

Many thanks for sharing your experiences, HFGuy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
In theory... it would best best to flush mount with drywall or mdf. Including the center.
I strongly suggest putting the LR behind the screen if you are mostly movies. Otherwise the sound won't match. Many people enjoy wall-to-wall projection so don't be affraid of making the screen too big (there is no such thing).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
*tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
In theory... it would best best to flush mount with drywall or mdf. Including the center.
I strongly suggest putting the LR behind the screen if you are mostly movies. Otherwise the sound won't match. Many people enjoy wall-to-wall projection so don't be affraid of making the screen too big (there is no such thing).
When you say flush-mount, do you mean that the fronts should be flush with the drywall?

Unfortunately, my setup isn't really ideal for an AT screen. The room is multi-purpose with a lot of ambient light during the day, so the screen is going to drop down in front of a 65" flat panel for evening use. A behind the screen placement would make me have to put the screen too close to the seating position, and require a configuration that's unlikely to meet a spouse-approval factor.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2229
Can you butt them up against the sidewall to make it like an extension to the baffle?

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Movies and TV are 60% center channel, 35% subwoofer, 4% mains+ surrounds, 1% everything else.
So as long as the center and subwoofer are beefy and optimized flat, then the overall experience should be pretty good.
For the center channel you may be worried about floor and/or ceiling reflections, sidewalls are unlikely to impact the front row.

As far as 2-ch music goes, sure... restricting the mains is probably the last thing you'd want to do from a soundstage/imaging perspective, but it won't really impact the SQ too much.

You are probably worrying about it more than you should be.
For movies, you'll be the only person that notices it... trust me when I say: the wife, kids, and friends probably won't notice (so don't make it known, ignorance is bliss...)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
*tl

Much appreciation for the advice. I am probably overthinking it too much, although where would this forum be without overthinking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page