Wealthy Friend Wants a Killer theater in his new home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Wealthy Friend Wants a Killer theater in his new home

I have a friend who is building a new home and wants a killer theater. He knows I'm all into that kinda thing and wants my help. I feel like he should probably go all JTR and get stupid with it rather than DIY since he has no problem dropping serious money. The only thing that bugs me is that he won't get 5hz out of those designs.

I currently have nowhere to cut wood, etc or I would build him enclosures for 24" subs...

Any input? There really is no budget limit. (The dude is currently shopping for a jet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For a high end cost no issue theater look at Seaton Sound. I am sure will come out to your space and tune the system. Any great system is only as good as the set up t hat goes into it. Seaton would be my only choice if I could go 35k on a theater set up.
post #3 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 841 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked: 3652
the stuff that folks spend the most on in diy is likely the area where he will spend the least (relatively).

the architecture, the style, the overall plan and presentation is where he could probably use the most assistance.
rboster and siddforuall like this.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
There are people that will do the full theater and custom enclosures if/where needed. There is a theater on here I came across recently that had 12 or something crazy 24". I would guess that Mark or Jeff will build custom stuff too for the right $$$. I know I have seen people post before about Jeff said he would build custom enclose for people.

I think this is the build that has the multiple 24". If you have the money you can have whatever you can imagine or dream(more or less).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Equipment list https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post45534729

Subwoofers:

Behind the screen - 12 24" UberSubs (custom designed). There are also 2 more 24" UberSubs, one below each center seat in row 2 & 3 (there are 3 rows of 5 seats each).
More subs - 8 JL SHOC-24 subs behind the side & rear walls. (So 22 Subwoofers total...)

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #5 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
I have a friend who is building a new home and wants a killer theater. He knows I'm all into that kinda thing and wants my help. I feel like he should probably go all JTR and get stupid with it rather than DIY since he has no problem dropping serious money. The only thing that bugs me is that he won't get 5hz out of those designs.

I currently have nowhere to cut wood, etc or I would build him enclosures for 24" subs...

Any input? There really is no budget limit. (The dude is currently shopping for a jet)

Chasing after 5hz at usable output levels in a decent size room is a fool's errand. Especially since there is very little content that low.

JTR products are highly recommended and won't disappoint. The 4000ULF sub has ridiculous output down to 10 hz. Give Jeff (JTR) a call. You won't regret it. IIRC, the 4000ULF has the highest 10hz output of anything tested at Data-Bass. The measurements can be seen here: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=s...d=135&mset=151

As someone else mentioned, Seaton also has very good products.

If you are dead set on 24s, give David a call at Deep Sea Sound.
thaipham likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Have him check out this site:
http://bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html

He can have furniture quality subs fine tuned and be able to hit single digits no problem.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #7 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
If he's "wealthy" he needs Keith Yates or Dennis Erickson or someone with their experience. He'll get nothing short of a stellar experience every time he walks in his room. The Rob Hahn build is cream of the crop, great read that thread
post #8 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I will say that it's not just the equipment that makes the theater...it's the design, build and implementation on how the theater is built.
Anybody(rich people) can throw money at equipment to fill up a room, but may have to spend tonnes more and settle for less than stellar quality then if the room was designed for it's purpose.
Nothing worse then sitting down to watch a movie and you can't hear the dialogue properly or the delay to the rear speakers is set wrong.
A proper theater room built from the ground up is nowhere near the same as a regular room in a house.
Everything from building materials, to HVAC, to electrical, to the shape of the room is different.

Now, if he can't tell the difference between a HTIB or a proper system, or maybe doesn't really care and it's all just for eye candy then it's a different story.
TuteTibiImperes likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
I will say that it's not just the equipment that makes the theater...it's the design, build and implementation on how the theater is built.
Anybody(rich people) can throw money at equipment to fill up a room, but may have to spend tonnes more and settle for less than stellar quality then if the room was designed for it's purpose.
Nothing worse then sitting down to watch a movie and you can't hear the dialogue properly or the delay to the rear speakers is set wrong.
A proper theater room built from the ground up is nowhere near the same as a regular room in a house.
Everything from building materials, to HVAC, to electrical, to the shape of the room is different.

Now, if he can't tell the difference between a HTIB or a proper system, or maybe doesn't really care and it's all just for eye candy then it's a different story.
This. If I had private jet money and was looking for the ultimate in HT my first step would be constructing a dedicated addition to my home. Multiple huge subwoofers and amplifiers are going to require multiple high-amperage dedicated circuits. High powered amps and projector(s) are going to require an additional AC unit (or more than one depending on the size of the room and its level of isolation from the rest of the house). If high output at ultra-low frequencies is desired you'll want the room isolated from the rest of the house so that you are't rattling things off of the shelves and/or disturbing other people when watching movies.

Hitting meaningful SPL at 5hz is going to require something like the Eminent Tech TRW-17 rotary subwoofer in addition to normal subwoofers covering the traditional sub range, and that requires an IB setup with its own dedicated space.

If cost is no object there's no reason to limit yourself to plain old 7.x.4 surround when Trinnov and JBL Synthesis processors exist that can handle 32 or more channels.

When it comes to video he may want multiple projectors to get the best 3D and HDR performance, or may want to go with a direct-LED video wall. There are even home versions of commercial projectors, some requiring dedicated liquid cooling setups that bring their own room, electrical, and HVAC requirements.

JTR and Seaton make excellent products, especially for the bang-for-the-buck, but the JBL Synthesis and pro audio lines are also worth a look (I'd love JBL M2s all around in a dream theater scenario) as are professional theater speakers from QSC and Klipsch, or options from Procella, James Loudpseaker, PMC, Danley Sound Labs, or a variety of other options.

It comes down to how 'ultimate' and 'cost is no factor' he really wants to go, spending $50,000, $500,000, or $5,000,000 will all lead to very different design decisions. Regardless he'll want to sit down with a professional who will create a holistic design so that there are no weak links, who has the experience to know all of the little (and big) details and issues that need to be addressed so that there are no surprises, and who can create the proper documentation and long-term support plan that he'll need to enjoy the system for many years.
thaipham and RobertChicken like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #10 of 40 Old 06-25-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
He will also need an adjacent apartment for the live-in Projectionist/Popcorn Steward (I am available if given six months notice).
bimmaguy likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #11 of 40 Old 06-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This could be fun.

Most of the wealthy .0001% that I have worked with, and a wealthy enough for a private jet, will hire an architectural firm that will hire the specialty designers. The theater is no exception. There is so much mentioned previously that have cascading consequences and dependencies.

The first thing is to define a goal. If there really is an open canvas, the number of seats should be a good place to start. Knowing if you a planning for 2 or 100 makes a big difference. Cooling, AC power, makeup air, doors, fire/life safety, emergency exists, and zoning laws are just a few.

Consider underground. It would be kind to any neighbors. 5Hz at any substantial level will be cost prohibitive to contain above ground.

Bottom line is, hire an expert.

I have never seen a truly unlimited budget theater. I suppose the most expensive I have personally seen in a home was about $10M, and that was a number of years ago. Even with that one, there were compromises due to size limitations and limits of technology at that time.
If you really want to impress, historic commercial theater renovation costs can exceed $350M.

Working on the next one...
post #12 of 40 Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Perfect job for a pro designer and then hire a pro builder, with acoustic considerations taken into account from the start.

That would be my advice to him .....

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #13 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
I went through the same thing, my friend, who now owns a private jet, wanted to replace his speakers and gear in his current room. He still did not want to spend that much as he liked his speakers and thought that price point was fine. He already had a professional installer design and build the theater so he asked me what was wrong with his setup. Well, he kept blowing up his speakers and this installer recommended more power. I laughed because his paradigms could not handle the power he had and kept frying his tweeters. I installed JTR and a new processor to update his theater. I told him if he fries these speakers then he will be deaf.
Dbuudo07 and eng-399 like this.

Nothing right now
post #14 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
There are people that will do the full theater and custom enclosures if/where needed. There is a theater on here I came across recently that had 12 or something crazy 24". I would guess that Mark or Jeff will build custom stuff too for the right $$$. I know I have seen people post before about Jeff said he would build custom enclose for people.

I think this is the build that has the multiple 24". If you have the money you can have whatever you can imagine or dream(more or less).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Equipment list https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post45534729

Subwoofers:

Behind the screen - 12 24" UberSubs (custom designed). There are also 2 more 24" UberSubs, one below each center seat in row 2 & 3 (there are 3 rows of 5 seats each).
More subs - 8 JL SHOC-24 subs behind the side & rear walls. (So 22 Subwoofers total...)
If money is no object i cant think of a theater I have seen here that approaches that Rob Hahn build. If he wants a killer theater and has money to spend that.s the person you need to talk to lol. But as others have also said Will with Seaton Sound and JEff form JTR as good folks to talk to as well. But if you have never seen Rob Hahn's theater build drop what your doing and check it out. That is about as close to full blown REAL movie theater as I have seen here.
UK Dreamer likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked: 4978
Wealthy Friend Wants a Killer theater in his new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I went through the same thing, my friend, who now owns a private jet, wanted to replace his speakers and gear in his current room. He still did not want to spend that much as he liked his speakers and thought that price point was fine. He already had a professional installer design and build the theater so he asked me what was wrong with his setup. Well, he kept blowing up his speakers and this installer recommended more power. I laughed because his paradigms could not handle the power he had and kept frying his tweeters. I installed JTR and a new processor to update his theater. I told him if he fries these speakers then he will be deaf.

I would of recommended the same thing. After going to Axpona JTR, Seaton,JBL and Leagcy were my favorite but JTR really stood out. IF the OP can copy the setup in the JTR room at Axpona and use the same amps they used it would be a killer setup. I would have High Impact Av also do the calibration like Jeff did.
MKtheater likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 06-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #16 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
If money is no object i cant think of a theater I have seen here that approaches that Rob Hahn build. If he wants a killer theater and has money to spend that.s the person you need to talk to lol. But as others have also said Will with Seaton Sound and JEff form JTR as good folks to talk to as well. But if you have never seen Rob Hahn's theater build drop what your doing and check it out. That is about as close to full blown REAL movie theater as I have seen here.
Even in the Rob Hahn theater he eventually ran out of money and just wanted to get it finished. There will always be a point most will say "that's just silly." Most of us aren't able to consider going to that extreme, but I've seen ultra quiet HVAC systems that are about $125k that are channeled below the floor of the theater and then routed to the side walls and dumping out at the top of the wall for maximum sound isolation.

Even for the most wealthy, it ultimately is a matter of determining what represents an appropriate value to the owner. Value is very subjective, but few are looking to blow money on a proverbial titanium dipstick.

Quote:

I doubt you want to be on the hook if you order DIY woofers and amps and stuff happens to break if someone just keeps cranking the dial past what most of us would know to be bad noises.

5-8Hz output is certainly available. I'd start helping him to make sure he has the space and height in a room to work within. Then discuss bringing in an expert like Nyal Mellor, Dennis Erskine, or even Keith Yates ($). This 20 x 32 x 12' theater easily delivers single digit performance, and it's easy to double that performance at a justifiable cost in such a system. A few of the other companies mentioned can also help with comparable solutions which will all be well below the cost of any big JL Audio or Wilson Audio solution, with much better performance than any of the JBL/Synthesis subwoofer offerings. The JBL M2's are worth considering in the mix of speaker options with their matching in-wall/ceiling options. I would say don't look much further than the Trinnov processor for a room such as this, as all of the processing is done in software, and continuously upgraded. They can implement and render up to 32 of the Dolby Atmos Cinema channels if desired.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #17 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Even in the Rob Hahn theater he eventually ran out of money and just wanted to get it finished. There will always be a point most will say "that's just silly." Most of us aren't able to consider going to that extreme, but I've seen ultra quiet HVAC systems that are about $125k that are channeled below the floor of the theater and then routed to the side walls and dumping out at the top of the wall for maximum sound isolation.

Even for the most wealthy, it ultimately is a matter of determining what represents an appropriate value to the owner. Value is very subjective, but few are looking to blow money on a proverbial titanium dipstick.
you are of course absolutely correct, no surprise there lol. But as far as I have seen on here Hahn's is about as close as I have seen to a full blown movie theater. But like you said money always runs out at some point, what that point is varies of course. Personally I would kill to have a home theater even a 10th of what Hahn accomplished. But I have neither the means to afford it or the room to do it, unless I magically win the lottery. He should as you and others had said direct his wealthy friend to someone who builds these professionally, since fixing a mistake can sometimes cost more than doing it properly in the first place. Not to mention if your dropping serious money into a project like this start with the experts and work from there.
eng-399 and Mark Seaton like this.
post #18 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Agree with many posts.

Ask the guy what his budget really is. Wealthy is a relative term. Ask him what he is willing to add to construction costs and what he is willing to spend on furniture/equipment. Some people would add a wing to a house for this. Is this that guy? Or is this the guy that will allocate X sqft of basement space?

Point being, if you start telling the guy that he needs $200K in equipment that he might say that's not what he meant.

efforts to minimize reflections in a room and isolating from the rest of the house can go a long way. AS can $30K in equipment/furniture.

Just saying, I'd be very content with that even if ultra wealthy. More money would just mean more square footage and seating for the room. Not necessarily a crazy equipment budget.

Denon 4300 receiver. Infinity speaker setup (SM line which is SM-122 up front an SM-82 in the rear and ceiling) along with a center channel (not SM line but maybe I should swap it out). Xbox One S source for Blu Ray and 4K blu Ray. Sony XBR850B.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-24-hours.html

Last edited by kfh227; 06-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #19 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 3704 Post(s)
Liked: 4213
I highly suggest he make it underground and not physically attached to the siding of the main house.
Underground as-in: the roof is at least 1ft buried i.e. not in a basement and not at ground level.

There is almost too many variables to get into here, but the above posters have hit on the important/key aspects... re: HVAC, breakers, projection requirements.
If he goes with a 120+ OLED then he could save some hassle, depending on screen size desired and ambient light.

If it was my money I'd make sure the power is up to "Data Center" quality if he is serious. 1 megawatt Diesel genny + 3 phase UPS with enough VA reserve for a zombie apocalypse.

A dedicated business-quality fiber drop just for the internet in that room should be standard. Don't want your premium streaming service(s) interrupted!

The theater doors are critical, if he wants to contain nuclear bass to 1Hz...(rotary woofers etc) then they need to be as thick as a bank vault (no joke).

Depends on how serious or nutty he wants to get with it.

I only spent 110k on my Theater 1.0 build
...and that was doing things on the cheap!
unretarded likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 06-26-2017 at 05:55 PM.
post #20 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone rate IMAXprivatetheatre for such an installation?
post #21 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Not enough low bass in an IMAX theater.
post #22 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Not enough low bass in an IMAX theater.
Totally agree. There is so much missing below 20Hz.
post #23 of 40 Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
I'd start helping him to make sure he has the space and height in a room to work within. Then discuss bringing in an expert like Nyal Mellor, Dennis Erskine, or even Keith Yates ($).

^^^ this !

Cheers,
post #24 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Quote:
Yes, find out what his budget actually is. Just because someone is willing to spend millions on a plane doesn't mean they're going to be willing to spend millions on a theater. He might think $10k for a theater is totally reasonable. Or he might think $500k is reasonable. Until you know which it's hard to formulate advice.

If his budget is high, get a professional expert to design the room, like the names already mentioned.
post #25 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Yes, find out what his budget actually is. Just because someone is willing to spend millions on a plane doesn't mean they're going to be willing to spend millions on a theater. He might think $10k for a theater is totally reasonable. Or he might think $500k is reasonable. Until you know which it's hard to formulate advice.

If his budget is high, get a professional expert to design the room, like the names already mentioned.
I agree with this. My brother in law has serious money, but when he asked me to help with his media room, he said 25k was the budget. Ended up spending close to 75k, but he hadn't learned of all the possibilities when he told me the budget.

Chris
post #26 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
Point being, if you start telling the guy that he needs $200K in equipment that he might say that's not what he meant.
QFT

Wealth is relative. I have friends who could easily afford the $200k (or even million dollar) theater, but ask me when they get a $1,000 quote for adding streaming to their WHA system if they are getting ripped off or not. It isn't a matter of whether they have it, it's a matter of what they want and how much they want to spend on it. MOST wealthy people have a better sense for spending money than people without wealth. They didn't get to be wealthy by being stupid with their money.

That being said, if what they want is a theater that you (the OP) will help build, then just have fun with it but be up front in what your actual abilities are. And charge accordingly, because believe me, if you have a hand in doing anything for this guy, you will be the "go to" guy for any issues down the road. Establish your fees now or you will be doing this stuff for free forever.
post #27 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
QFT

Wealth is relative. I have friends who could easily afford the $200k (or even million dollar) theater, but ask me when they get a $1,000 quote for adding streaming to their WHA system if they are getting ripped off or not. It isn't a matter of whether they have it, it's a matter of what they want and how much they want to spend on it. MOST wealthy people have a better sense for spending money than people without wealth. They didn't get to be wealthy by being stupid with their money.

That being said, if what they want is a theater that you (the OP) will help build, then just have fun with it but be up front in what your actual abilities are. And charge accordingly, because believe me, if you have a hand in doing anything for this guy, you will be the "go to" guy for any issues down the road. Establish your fees now or you will be doing this stuff for free forever.
Personally if his buddy is looking to spend above $10k or $20k I think the OP is better off leaving it to a pro unless he has fairly extensive knowledge of the HT world and what it entails, including things like room treatments, noise isolation etc. I think his friend would probably not be to happy dropping $20k on equipment only to have other issues arise, like bass nulls, poor room setup to account for reflections, etc. Otherwise he might lose his wealthy friend over something like a poorly done HT. As you said wealthy people didn't get wealthy by spending it just because. OP please understand I mean no offence and you may well have a background or experience doing HT or the like, but if your friend is dropping serious change best bet for you is to step aside and let a pro handle it and just help your friend by advising where you can.
sigpig likes this.
post #28 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Personally if his buddy is looking to spend above $10k or $20k I think the OP is better off leaving it to a pro unless he has fairly extensive knowledge of the HT world and what it entails, including things like room treatments, noise isolation etc. I think his friend would probably not be to happy dropping $20k on equipment only to have other issues arise, like bass nulls, poor room setup to account for reflections, etc. Otherwise he might lose his wealthy friend over something like a poorly done HT. As you said wealthy people didn't get wealthy by spending it just because. OP please understand I mean no offence and you may well have a background or experience doing HT or the like, but if your friend is dropping serious change best bet for you is to step aside and let a pro handle it and just help your friend by advising where you can.
I don't disagree at all. But I also don't know the OP's level of experience or knowledge.

Here's my similar situation (the long story, lol):
I feel like I am pretty competent when it comes to building a home theater. I was a professional car and home audio installer for about a decade in the 90's, since exiting that career I have pre-wired several homes and businesses for friends and family, and even put together some pretty decent home theaters over the years. 18 months ago I dove back into this as a hobby when a simple $500 sub upgrade turned into a $15k theater. That led to word getting out through some friends that I knew what I was doing, and soon local builders were coming by asking for a demo. That turned into being paid to consult from start to finish on a $35k theater (mostly in the room and labor) and in the end the customer was very happy.

I am now in the process of building myself a new home which I pretty much designed around the new theater space. The budget on my new theater is $50-70k, and will be mostly DIY (paying to have mudding and taping done, and of course carpet will be installed professionally, but the rest will be me). But as competent as I feel I am, I am still hiring a professional to help with the design. The bottom line is I want no compromises. Or rather, I want no regrets. I know I have limitations, and while I spent considerable time studying acoustics when building my last theater, I am still an amateur hobbyist, and a pro can do it better every time.
post #29 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I don't disagree at all. But I also don't know the OP's level of experience or knowledge.

Here's my similar situation (the long story, lol):
I feel like I am pretty competent when it comes to building a home theater. I was a professional car and home audio installer for about a decade in the 90's, since exiting that career I have pre-wired several homes and businesses for friends and family, and even put together some pretty decent home theaters over the years. 18 months ago I dove back into this as a hobby when a simple $500 sub upgrade turned into a $15k theater. That led to word getting out through some friends that I knew what I was doing, and soon local builders were coming by asking for a demo. That turned into being paid to consult from start to finish on a $35k theater (mostly in the room and labor) and in the end the customer was very happy.

I am now in the process of building myself a new home which I pretty much designed around the new theater space. The budget on my new theater is $50-70k, and will be mostly DIY (paying to have mudding and taping done, and of course carpet will be installed professionally, but the rest will be me). But as competent as I feel I am, I am still hiring a professional to help with the design. The bottom line is I want no compromises. Or rather, I want no regrets. I know I have limitations, and while I spent considerable time studying acoustics when building my last theater, I am still an amateur hobbyist, and a pro can do it better every time.
Your absolutely correct. I think OP would be better off helping his friend work with a pro, since we don't know his level of experience or lack thereof, and keeping said friend, than trying to be the go to guy to do the theater and possibly lose the friend. Id rather help a friend work with someone and get the see the final result than take it all on myself work hard and never get to see the end result lol. Wish I could afford a $50k theater I'm just limping along with my $1100 in AVR and speakers LOL Buy being on the outside it is crazy to see what some of you all have done.
post #30 of 40 Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
Quote:

IMHO, mod hat off.....if you friend is wealthy, then as others have said (over and over) he/she should hire a consultant. Coming to the DIY forum and ask for advice is not a plan.

Members have supplied some names (both of members with high-end thearters and consultants). You would be best served by getting the contact information from those sources and provide their names/numbers to him. Maybe your role would be as a sounding board for their overall plan....

but you serving as the consultant (in reality seeking advice from AVS members) for your wealthy friend would be an exercise in frustration for all involved.
Ericglo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page