The next thing to do was build the crossovers. I opened up one of the boxes and laid out all of the parts for each speaker.
Once I was fairly certain where everything belonged, I assembled everything for a dry fit.
This was easy but took longer than I thought because I had to make sure all of the wires were in the right place so that when I glued down everything I wouldn't be fumbling as the glue dried. Next, I took everything apart and got the glue gun heated up.
Then I glued everything in place on the PCB.
After gluing everything down to the PCB I had to use a zip tie for the big rectangle looking thingy (technical term) to make sure it doesn't come loose. It is heavy for its size.
Now here comes the hard part (for me) - soldering for the first time ever. I watched a ton of YouTube videos but you can't get good at something without actually trying! So I dove right in. I heated up the soldering iron, flipped the PCB upside down (the glue was holding!) and started to solder... Here's the first one:
It was kind of messy but all of the connections seem solid. There is definitely an art to it and by the time I got tot he last one my solder points were much cleaner. Next up was snipping all of the long wires so that just the solder points remained.
Here is a close-up of the mess so people don't get discouraged if your solder points aren't coming out perfect:
The last thing to do before completing the crossovers was to solder on the speaker wire to the IN(+/-), HI(+/-) and LO(+/-) connections. I went red wire to + and black wire to -.
All of the connections seem very tight and for the first time at this I'm pretty happy with how they came out (assuming they actually work!).
Next I'll be mounting the crossover inside of the speaker box and prepping them for paint. Easy peasy!