NU6000DSP Amp Rundown... - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 580Likes

post #391 of 423 Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked: 11396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
So at least for me (and my cable), I don't need to set the NU6000D to 180 phase. I've been running with 180 phase for a while so it's kind of a mind-blow. I'm off to change phase and go through the whole deal again....
IIRC, those using XLR with the iNukes did not have the 180 phase issue, only those using 1/4".

Of course, my memory could be failing me.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 423 Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for some answers you guys could maybe enlighten me. I have built two mini Marty’s with the ultimax 18 and the amp is a behringer nx6000d.

I have the avr set too 0 on the sub trim. Ran Audyssey. (Denon 4500h) I have the amp knobs two clicks past half. And these sound so awesome. But here is my question since I am new to this. On most movies there is one too two green lights on the front lit up but in some super heavy bass it will go up and flicker the limit red light. I have been told this is ok and also in the behringer manual they say it’s ok to tickle the red light. Downloaded the wotw pod emergence scene as that is so loud and stays read for part of the scene. This is with my avr at 72 about where I usually listen.

I also have the 20hz highpass butterworth 12 then in the peq 20hz hs -3db and added +3 dB back on the internal gain.

Anyway am I ok cranking these so it bumps the red limit light on heavy bass scenes. Cause if I turn it down so the red never comes ok it doesn’t sound as loud as I want it.

Also I have a usb cable coming tomorrow so I can watch the input and output on the software to see what is going on. Other than the red light coming on on the super loud bass it sounds awesome!!

Thanks I advance
post #393 of 423 Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
Here's a more accurate test: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post51012305

4 ohm, 1211 watts per channel (1529 burst) at 40Hz.
Actually none of those tests are of any use. Real useable power for music in general requires a minimum of 500ms burst, and real power to sustain a long duration edm bass signal is at least 3 seconds. So far the only SMPS amplifier to do this is the Speaker Power brand. The smps standard testing method is based on 22 ms burst. This will not even reproduce a high hat symbol. Not much point in measuring AIR POWER, that will not even reproduce a music signal. Looks better on paper though.

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=459.60
A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 09-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 423 Old 09-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
Here's a more accurate test: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post51012305

4 ohm, 1211 watts per channel (1529 burst) at 40Hz.

Actually none of those tests are of any use. Real useable power for music in general requires a minimum of 500ms burst, and real power to sustain a long duration edm bass signal is at least 3 seconds. So far the only SMPS amplifier to do this is the Speaker Power brand. The smps standard testing method is based on 22 ms burst. This will not even reproduce a high hat symbol. Not much point in measuring AIR POWER, that will not even reproduce a music signal. Looks better on paper though. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
As long as you're comparing numbers retrieved using the same methods, the data is useful for sure.

LG OLED55C6P calibrated
Denon X4400H 5.2.4
Denovo HTM-10
HSU Research surrounds
2x18" Dayton Ultimax sealed < Pro-LITE 7.5 amp < MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #395 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
There have been amps tested for 5 seconds with over 4000 watts on a sine wave which is harder load than music.

Nothing right now
post #396 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmx24 View Post
Looking for some answers you guys could maybe enlighten me. I have built two mini Marty’s with the ultimax 18 and the amp is a behringer nx6000d.

I have the avr set too 0 on the sub trim. Ran Audyssey. (Denon 4500h) I have the amp knobs two clicks past half. And these sound so awesome. But here is my question since I am new to this. On most movies there is one too two green lights on the front lit up but in some super heavy bass it will go up and flicker the limit red light. I have been told this is ok and also in the behringer manual they say it’s ok to tickle the red light. Downloaded the wotw pod emergence scene as that is so loud and stays read for part of the scene. This is with my avr at 72 about where I usually listen.

I also have the 20hz highpass butterworth 12 then in the peq 20hz hs -3db and added +3 dB back on the internal gain.

Anyway am I ok cranking these so it bumps the red limit light on heavy bass scenes. Cause if I turn it down so the red never comes ok it doesn’t sound as loud as I want it.

Also I have a usb cable coming tomorrow so I can watch the input and output on the software to see what is going on. Other than the red light coming on on the super loud bass it sounds awesome!!

Thanks I advance
How many different threads are you going to ask the same question and get it answered?

Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
post #397 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Quote:
Looking for some answers you guys could maybe enlighten me. I have built two mini Marty&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;s with the ultimax 18 and the amp is a behringer nx6000d.

I have the avr set too 0 on the sub trim. Ran Audyssey. (Denon 4500h) I have the amp knobs two clicks past half. And these sound so awesome. But here is my question since I am new to this. On most movies there is one too two green lights on the front lit up but in some super heavy bass it will go up and flicker the limit red light. I have been told this is ok and also in the behringer manual they say it&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;s ok to tickle the red light. Downloaded the wotw pod emergence scene as that is so loud and stays read for part of the scene. This is with my avr at 72 about where I usually listen.

Anyway am I ok cranking these so it bumps the red limit light on heavy bass scenes. Cause if I turn it down so the red never comes ok it doesn&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t sound as loud as I want it.

Thanks I advance
How many different threads are you going to ask the same question and get it answered?
Well first before I ever post a question I read everything I can that is why I asked the question in a couple threads because I’ve red so many things that contradict each other. Some say it’s ok to hit the limit lights on the front and Some problem say it should. Ever hit the red lights on the front. So just trying to learn. No worries man I won’t ask the questions I have any more I’ll just figure it out my self. By the way I appreciate your advice and see yours as the best advice I’ve gotten so far. Thanks
post #398 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
Actually none of those tests are of any use. Real useable power for music in general requires a minimum of 500ms burst, …
Please post a link backing up that statement

Quote:
So far the only SMPS amplifier to do this is the Speaker Power brand. The smps standard testing method is based on 22 ms burst. This will not even reproduce a high hat symbol. Not much point in measuring AIR POWER, that will not even reproduce a music signal. Looks better on paper though.
I believe the standard testing method (CEA-2010) specifies 6.5 cycles, which will mean different times for different frequencies. Again, from which hat are you pulling these numbers?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #399 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well first before I ever post a question I read everything I can that is why I asked the question in a couple threads because I’ve red so many things that contradict each other. Some say it’s ok to hit the limit lights on the front and Some problem say it should. Ever hit the red lights on the front. So just trying to learn. No worries man I won’t ask the questions I have any more I’ll just figure it out my self. By the way I appreciate your advice and see yours as the best advice I’ve gotten so far. Thanks
There's no reason not to ask other questions as you have them.

Where are you reading that you should never hit the limit lights?

post #400 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well first before I ever post a question I read everything I can that is why I asked the question in a couple threads because I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;ve red so many things that contradict each other. Some say it&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;s ok to hit the limit lights on the front and Some problem say it should. Ever hit the red lights on the front. So just trying to learn. No worries man I won&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t ask the questions I have any more I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;ll just figure it out my self. By the way I appreciate your advice and see yours as the best advice I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;ve gotten so far. Thanks
There's no reason not to ask other questions as you have them.

Where are you reading that you should never hit the limit lights?
I have read through so many threads about setting this up and from I have read it seems most people say to play a loud movie clip at reference levels with either speakers unhooked or hooked up and watch the amp and Adjust the input gain so the lights are not coming on. I don’t recall the exact threads. Also maybe I am confused. I think I’m the software there is the lights but also a clip light. I have a long usb cable coming today so I can watch the software while setting it up. You sound like you are experienced in this so if I adjust it so it’s just bumping the limit light in the loudest scenes then I should be ok. How long can that limit light be lit and still be ok? Say in the war of the world pod scene it is super loud bass and it lights up the light more than other stuff I have tried.i am looking forward to getting the pc connected so I can see the lights in more detail and see what both input and output are doing.
post #401 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have read through so many threads about setting this up and from I have read it seems most people say to play a loud movie clip at reference levels with either speakers unhooked or hooked up and watch the amp and Adjust the input gain so the lights are not coming on. I don’t recall the exact threads. Also maybe I am confused. I think I’m the software there is the lights but also a clip light. I have a long usb cable coming today so I can watch the software while setting it up. You sound like you are experienced in this so if I adjust it so it’s just bumping the limit light in the loudest scenes then I should be ok. How long can that limit light be lit and still be ok? Say in the war of the world pod scene it is super loud bass and it lights up the light more than other stuff I have tried.i am looking forward to getting the pc connected so I can see the lights in more detail and see what both input and output are doing.
Since you listen below reference, you can use the Live, Die, Repeat opening sequence at reference to set it up to hit the red lights, then you will be pretty much safe for any content.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #402 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Quote:
I have read through so many threads about setting this up and from I have read it seems most people say to play a loud movie clip at reference levels with either speakers unhooked or hooked up and watch the amp and Adjust the input gain so the lights are not coming on. I don&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t recall the exact threads. Also maybe I am confused. I think I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;m the software there is the lights but also a clip light. I have a long usb cable coming today so I can watch the software while setting it up. You sound like you are experienced in this so if I adjust it so it&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;s just bumping the limit light in the loudest scenes then I should be ok. How long can that limit light be lit and still be ok? Say in the war of the world pod scene it is super loud bass and it lights up the light more than other stuff I have tried.i am looking forward to getting the pc connected so I can see the lights in more detail and see what both input and output are doing.
Since you listen below reference, you can use the Live, Die, Repeat opening sequence at reference to set it up to hit the red lights, then you will be pretty much safe for any content.
Sounds good I will check that out.
post #403 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Be careful, and turn your amp down first. That sequence is about 10 dB hot. Because of that, I would turn your sub trim in the AVR down to -5 dB as well, and make it up with the amp.

post #404 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Be careful, and turn your amp down first. That sequence is about 10 dB hot. Because of that, I would turn your sub trim in the AVR down to -5 dB as well, and make it up with the amp.
Thanks for the heads up.
Man I wish this was easier like the store bought plate amp. But I’m sure I will get it al figured out
post #405 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This method of gain setup has never made sense to me. Why would someone set their sub level in order to not/only hit the limiter on a worst case scenario signal, instead of setting their subs to the level they actually want them at?

There's nothing wrong with hitting the limiter on the hottest transients, and there's no safety issue in doing so. I feel like this method comes from a time when amps didn't have modern limiters and they had to be protected against hard clipping.

If a nice low sub trim is used, it protects against AVR clipping and input clipping on the amp. Other than that, set the gain so that the sub level is where you want it. If it doesn't hit the limiter on the hottest transients, why would you turn it up so that it does? Now you're just running the subs hotter than you even want them. Likewise, if it does hit the limiter on the hottest transients, that's not necessarily a reason to turn it down. If you do, you're turning the subs down lower than you want them 99% of the time, just for the sake of avoiding a perfectly safe limiter 1% of the time?

Of course, if you set them to where you want them and you're absolutely hammering the limiter constantly on normal content, you're just asking way too much of your subs and you need to turn things down or add more subs, but that's an extremely rare case and a different animal.

Last edited by aron7awol; 09-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #406 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This method of gain setup has never made sense to me. Why would someone set their sub level in order to not/only hit the limiter on a worst case scenario signal, instead of setting their subs to the level they actually want them at?

There's nothing wrong with hitting the limiter on the hottest transients, and there's no safety issue in doing so. I feel like this method comes from a time when amps didn't have modern limiters and they had to be protected against hard clipping.

If a nice low sub trim is used, it protects against AVR clipping and input clipping on the amp. Other than that, set the gain so that the sub level is where you want it. If it doesn't hit the limiter on the hottest transients, why would you turn it up so that it does? Now you're just running the subs hotter than you even want them. Likewise, if it does hit the limiter on the hottest transients, that's not necessarily a reason to turn it down. If you do, you're turning the subs down lower than you want them 99% of the time, just for the sake of avoiding a perfectly safe limiter 1% of the time?

Of course, if you set them to where you want them and you're absolutely hammering the limiter constantly on normal content, you're just asking way too much of your subs and you need to turn things down or add more subs, but that's an extremely rare case and a different animal.
I was just trying to make setup simpler for him until he gained more experience. And for the record, that opening sequence almost destroyed my subs, even with the limiter engaged. I'd hate for that to happen to a newbie.

post #407 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was just trying to make setup simpler for him until he gained more experience. And for the record, that opening sequence almost destroyed my subs, even with the limiter engaged. I'd hate for that to happen to a newbie.
I'm guessing that was due to excursion, which is why the limiter couldn't fully protect you?

Honestly, that EoT intro is just beyond ridiculous and should be flat out avoided by anyone who isn't sure their system is capable of it. There's nothing else out there that even comes close to it, and I think it's irresponsible that they would even put it on a disc for people to buy and play on their systems without crazy warnings. In any case, I don't see any reason for someone to cripple their system based on it.

post #408 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that was due to excursion, which is why the limiter couldn't fully protect you?

Honestly, that EoT intro is just beyond ridiculous and should be flat out avoided by anyone who isn't sure their system is capable of it. There's nothing else out there that even comes close to it, and I think it's irresponsible that they would even put it on a disc for people to buy and play on their systems without crazy warnings. In any case, I don't see any reason for someone to cripple their system based on it.

Agreed. My next step was to see if he came back with "now I don't have enough bass in other movies", and go from there.
aron7awol likes this.

post #409 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 03:36 PM

Should I put the nx6000d on dual mono in the amp or stereo?

I have two sub outs on the Denon and two ultimax 18”. One on each channel and sub input on each channel
post #410 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

I have two sub outs on the Denon and two ultimax 18”. One on each channel and sub input on each channel
If your subs are co-located, then there is no reason not to use a rca splitter and run them out of the some avr sub out. Also, I believe you're confusing comments being made in regards to limiter and clipping LEDs. If you set a limiter of 1000w and you hit 1001w, the limiter LED will light up...which is ok. Clipping on the other hand, is bad.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #411 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Quote:

I have two sub outs on the Denon and two ultimax 18&#226;€. One on each channel and sub input on each channel
If your subs are co-located, then there is no reason not to use a rca splitter and run them out of the some avr sub out. Also, I believe you're confusing comments being made in regards to limiter and clipping LEDs. If you set a limiter of 1000w and you hit 1001w, the limiter LED will light up...which is ok. Clipping on the other hand, is bad.
My subs are left and right in the front. So I have a separate rca for each. I have a laptop and long cable now so I can watch the lights in the software. From what I am hearing I should set it up so the heavy bass scenes like war of the world can bounce off the limiter but not stay lit for too long. And in the software it shouldn’t hit the clip light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A918D0C-ED8F-4AFD-A8F3-B6DE203AB76D_1568341899531.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2614504  
post #412 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 PM

So in the software the input has the clip light and the output has the limiter light. I don’t ever want to see the clip light come on is that right? But I can have the limiter hit a bit. I do not have a limiter set for the subs as some recommended not too
post #413 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Since each channel of the nx6000dsp can be eq'ed and high-passed independently, there is no need to have them on separate sub outs...just use a splitter from one of the sub out to both channels of the amp

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #414 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So in the software the input has the clip light and the output has the limiter light. I don’t ever want to see the clip light come on is that right? But I can have the limiter hit a bit. I do not have a limiter set for the subs as some recommended not too
You don't want to ever clip the inputs, and you won't as long as you have a nice low sub trim. The limiter will protect you from clipping the outputs hard, even if it's "disabled" and set to 0dB. Seriously, man, just lower your sub trim as much as you can while hitting your desired output levels, set the gain to a level you like, and then play some demanding content and just watch the meters. I can almost guarantee you the limit lights won't get hammered, because the only way they would is if your room is huge and you are trying to run them super-hot, but just keep an eye on it on the hardest bass hits and you'll know very quickly if there's an issue or not. I don't know what else to tell you other than what I keep telling you. It's perfectly okay to hit the limit lights. Mine get hit every day for years. If you're still this worried about damaging your subs, just build two more and you probably won't ever hit the limit lights, then you can just sit back and enjoy a movie without worrying so much.

Edit to add: You can run 2 sub outs from your AVR, one with -5 sub trim or whatever you said you can't go below in order to get your shakers to the level you want them at, and the other at -10 or so and then you don't have to worry about ever clipping your amp input.

Quote:
Since each channel of the nx6000dsp can be eq'ed and high-passed independently, there is no need to have them on separate sub outs...just use a splitter from one of the sub out to both channels of the amp
You don't even need the splitter if you run in BIAMP mode. You can run both outputs off a single input. That's what I do with all 3 of mine.

Last edited by aron7awol; 09-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.
post #415 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So in the software the input has the clip light and the output has the limiter light. I don&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t ever want to see the clip light come on is that right? But I can have the limiter hit a bit. I do not have a limiter set for the subs as some recommended not too
You don't want to ever clip the inputs, and you won't as long as you have a nice low sub trim. The limiter will protect you from clipping the outputs hard, even if it's "disabled" and set to 0dB. Seriously, man, just lower your sub trim as much as you can while hitting your desired output levels, set the gain to a level you like, and then play some demanding content and just watch the meters. I can almost guarantee you the limit lights won't get hammered, because the only way they would is if your room is huge and you are trying to run them super-hot, but just keep an eye on it on the hardest bass hits and you'll know very quickly if there's an issue or not. I don't know what else to tell you other than what I keep telling you. It's perfectly okay to hit the limit lights. Mine get hit every day for years. If you're still this worried about damaging your subs, just build two more and you probably won't ever hit the limit lights, then you can just sit back and enjoy a movie without worrying so much.

Edit to add: You can run 2 sub outs from your AVR, one with -5 sub trim or whatever you said you can't go below in order to get your shakers to the level you want them at, and the other at -10 or so and then you don't have to worry about ever clipping your amp input.

Quote:
You don't even need the splitter if you run in BIAMP mode. You can run both outputs off a single input. That's what I do with all 3 of mine.
sitting down to play with it now with the laptop. Thanks for the advice I will do what you said and get it tuned! Just hooked this up Monday and have learned a lot and feel pretty good about what I am learning. Thanks!
post #416 of 423 Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So in the software the input has the clip light and the output has the limiter light. I don&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t ever want to see the clip light come on is that right? But I can have the limiter hit a bit. I do not have a limiter set for the subs as some recommended not too

Quote:
Ok so I took all the advice I have learned. Here is what I did. First i connected the laptop.
Then I turned all speaker trims down all the way so I could run at reference levels then I disconnect the subs. With the speakers down al the way I could set the avr at 80/0.0 volume. Then ran war of the worlds pod emergence scene. I started with the knobs on the amp at half way.

I find like you said keeping the sub trim lower reduces input clipping. So I found a good balance and worst case scenario using wotw and ready player one scene. If I run the volume at 80 I need the knob on the front of the amp and one click past half. Can run both scenes with no clipping. I usually watch between 70-72
Then I set the volume at 75 and three clicks past half on the amp and can pass all without clipping the input signal. Ended with sub Trim in the avr at -11 and -9. On output two it’s split with the shakers this kept the two input lights side by side pretty much. With the amp on three clicks over half and ready player one race on volume 74/-6db on the avr it sounds awesome and doesn’t clip the input.

I think I should be good now. The TRex stop on the race scene actually made it clip the input where wotw scenes didn’t.

My next question is when I put the avr on test tone and set it to 80 and use my spl meter both subs actually were level but one at a time they were 71 then together they were 75 dB.
So on to the question. Where I have my highpass on 20hz butterworth12 then I put the peq on 20hz -3 and hs12 for tuning to my box then I have added +3 dB back on the gain in the software

Question if I want too boost the subs so they are a few dB up can I add more than the 3 dB gain I added to make up for the -3db for the lower tuning work around. And if I add gain will that make it possibly clip or will that just increase the output. I need to test that tomorrow.

Sorry I’m trying to type this too make sense but it is kinda all over the place. But boy I can say this kick butt they sound so much deeper and bigger than my old BIC America f12 subs.

Thanks for your help everyone
post #417 of 423 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...Question if I want too boost the subs so they are a few dB up can I add more than the 3 dB gain I added to make up for the -3db for the lower tuning work around. ...
Just turn up the gain knob(s) on the front of the amp for that.

post #418 of 423 Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...Question if I want too boost the subs so they are a few dB up can I add more than the 3 dB gain I added to make up for the -3db for the lower tuning work around. ...
Just turn up the gain knob(s) on the front of the amp for that.
But I have already found the max I can turn it and not have the input clip. But the output could go up a little more so I wondered if turning the gain up in the software a few dB would keep the input from clipping and add a few dB.
post #419 of 423 Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But I have already found the max I can turn it and not have the input clip. But the output could go up a little more so I wondered if turning the gain up in the software a few dB would keep the input from clipping and add a few dB.
I could be wrong, but the concern on the input side is actually the output of the AVR clipping, which is function of the AVR sub trim. Monitor the input level meter in the software while bumping up the gain knob. If it clips the input, just turn it back down.

Edit: I have the nu3000DSP, and my gain knobs are fully clockwise, to take full advantage of my subs' capabilities.

Last edited by Augerhandle; Yesterday at 07:53 AM.
post #420 of 423 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I could be wrong, but the concern on the input side is actually the output of the AVR clipping, which is function of the AVR sub trim. Monitor the input level meter in the software while bumping up the gain knob.

Edit: I have the nu3000DSP, and my gain knobs are fully clockwise, to take full advantage of my subs' capabilities.
Yes I did that. I played loud scenes at 0.0/80 on my Denon and with the knobs 1click past half the input light never came on. But with the volume at 75/-5db and the knobs 3 clicks past half it never comes on. Any more on the knobs and the input clip light will come on in the software and that sounds like you shouldn’t let that happen. But when I put my volume at reverence I cannot go over 1 click past half. And don’t get me wrong the bass is good and I am loving it! Just wondering if I can crank them a bit more without clipping the input light by turning the gain up in the software but I haven’t tested that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page