My SEOS-12/TD12M/DNA-360 Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 2 Post By Zach_J
  • 1 Post By filtor1
  • 1 Post By JohnDean
  • 1 Post By Zach_J
  • 3 Post By Zach_J
  • 2 Post By michael hurd
  • 2 Post By pgwalsh

post #1 of 25 Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My SEOS-12/TD12M/DNA-360 Build

Well, first off many thanks to @JohnDean , who was super cool to work with and very patient with my situation. I actually contacted him around Christmas last year while I was deployed in the Middle East and offered to buy his components. I've done a ton of reading and lurking around this site, and when his AE drivers and the rest of the stuff came up for sale I couldn't resist.
The stuff I got from @JohnDean included the drivers, wave guides, and crossovers assembled by @mtg90 , which are a work of art by the way.
Also, since I'm still in the Army, and don't currently have the facilities to build the boxes, John whipped up some pretty sweet boxes for these bad boys.
They are double baffled 3/4" MDF in 24"x14.5"x10.75" outside dimensions Using a 1H"x13W"x5.25D" slot port. It gives the drivers about 1.2 cu ft. and a tune right around 60hz after the window pane brace and drivers/ wave guide.

I'm in the process of finishing these now, and have a couple questions.
1.) As you can see, the satin black I used is coming out pretty splotchy. Granted, this was the first coat, but I'm not sure if I should keep adding coats, or if I should just scrap it and spray bedliner (rustoleum or duplicolor) over the top of it. They were primed, with a couple pretty heavy coats of Kilz, and then sanded with 400 grit until I thought they felt pretty smooth. The finish is still kinda rough though, and I'm not sure what the best way to address that would be. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2.) In two of the attached pictures, I have the crossover placed in different spots. Is there an advantage or benefit to having it in one place or another? I'm mainly worried about the magnets from either the compression driver or the TD12m interfering with the crossover. Once the TD12m is in the box, there is about 2.5" or 3" between it and the crossover, but I'm curious if it's enough to avoid interference.

3.) John suggested I line the box with a mattress topper, is there a particular one that would be best suited? Also, what is the best way to attach it to the inside of the box. Staples, glue?

Anyways, that's what I've got so far. This site and community are pretty awesome, and even though I'm just getting started in this whole hobby, the people seem pretty cool, and that has been super encouraging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170826_190534.jpg (1.92 MB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20170826_190529.jpg (1.71 MB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20170826_190513.jpg (1.96 MB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20170826_190508.jpg (1.72 MB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 20170826_181333.jpg (1.84 MB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20170826_150009.jpg (1.72 MB, 154 views)
pgwalsh and eng-399 like this.

Last edited by Zach_J; 08-26-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-27-2017, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Looking great! Thank you for your service and keep us posted on your listening impressions.

-Peter
post #3 of 25 Old 08-28-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Looking great! Thank you for your service and keep us posted on your listening impressions.

-Peter
Thanks for your support! I'm pretty stoked to hear these. I will need to pick up either a receiver or an amplifier though. Currently my setup is the JBL LSR308's and LSR310S getting a signal from my computer, and processed through an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_J View Post
Thanks for your support! I'm pretty stoked to hear these. I will need to pick up either a receiver or an amplifier though. Currently my setup is the JBL LSR308's and LSR310S getting a signal from my computer, and processed through an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.
I think you're going to love them. bwaslo did a great job with the crossover on these. I had a pair of Klipsch RB-75's and these were so much better I was really surprised. They're very neutral and sound good with just about everything. Get a good clean amplifier and you're set.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 240
1. I wish I could help here. Finishing is my weakest area.

2. I don't see any issue with either spot, but I used the top of the port to mount my crossovers. Never had any issues located there.

3. This is what I used to line my cabs. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/bonded-dacron/

Here is the link for my build for reference. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...m-project.html

Looking forward to your impressions. I really have enjoyed mine.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-29-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post
1. I wish I could help here. Finishing is my weakest area.

2. I don't see any issue with either spot, but I used the top of the port to mount my crossovers. Never had any issues located there.

3. This is what I used to line my cabs. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/bonded-dacron/

Here is the link for my build for reference. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...m-project.html

Looking forward to your impressions. I really have enjoyed mine.
Sweet! Thanks for the link, I'm gonna order some up.

Speaking of linings/ dampening material, I have some leftover CLD tile from when I redid the stereo in my car, would there be any benefit to lining the boxes with it? (Its basically non asphalt dynamat) I was thinking of throwing about 25ish% coverage over the interior.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Currently my setup is the JBL LSR308's and LSR310S getting a signal from my computer, and processed through an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.
What you currently have is no slouch either. I just bought the 305's and have been enjoying them. My acquisition is opposite of yours, though. I started with the Fusion-12's (still my favorite large speaker) first and bought the LSR speakers for work, even though they haven't left my house yet until I get tired of playing with them here first.

I would also like to thank you for your service.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
YES!

If you continue adding coats, the finish should even out. Did you do anything to hide the seams? They were tight but will still possibly show through if you didn't use any filler or such to cover them.

I can't wait to see what you think.

Glad you finally got to pick them up. I wished it hadn't been so crazy at my house when you were there.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoat View Post
What you currently have is no slouch either. I just bought the 305's and have been enjoying them. My acquisition is opposite of yours, though. I started with the Fusion-12's (still my favorite large speaker) first and bought the LSR speakers for work, even though they haven't left my house yet until I get tired of playing with them here first.

I would also like to thank you for your service.
Thanks for your support! Yeah I really love the 308's and plan on keeping them, but I've always really wanted some big mains, and when I move in to a house soon, I'm planning on utilizing them in a dedicated space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
YES!

If you continue adding coats, the finish should even out. Did you do anything to hide the seams? They were tight but will still possibly show through if you didn't use any filler or such to cover them.

I can't wait to see what you think.

Glad you finally got to pick them up. I wished it hadn't been so crazy at my house when you were there.
Cool, I'll just keep spraying them and see what happens. I sanded them with the 220 and 400 as you suggested, then hit them with the KilZ primer, then sanded them with 400 again. I only did one so far as a trial, and I think for the next 2 I may do more coats of primer, especially on the seams. They aren't very visible on the first one, but I think if I do a couple good coats on the next 2, I can hide them completely.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-31-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please don't forget to predrill all of the screw holes.
pgwalsh likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-02-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Please don't forget to predrill all of the screw holes.
Yeah I won't forget. Ill be using the m5 hex screws you recommended, so I just picked up a new 5/32 drill bit.

I shot the other 2 speakers with two heavy coats of KilZ yesterday, and just finished sanding them. I actually sanded between the coats as well, but based on how the second coat of primer laid down, I probably could have skipped that part. Now I'm just waiting for the wind to die down before I set up my makeshift paint booth and hit them with the satin black.

Here's the pic of them before I sanded them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170901_211615.jpg (416.1 KB, 361 views)
filtor1 likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-02-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I won't forget. Ill be using the m5 hex screws you recommended, so I just picked up a new 5/32 drill bit.

I shot the other 2 speakers with two heavy coats of KilZ yesterday, and just finished sanding them. I actually sanded between the coats as well, but based on how the second coat of primer laid down, I probably could have skipped that part. Now I'm just waiting for the wind to die down before I set up my makeshift paint booth and hit them with the satin black.

Here's the pic of them before I sanded them.
Looking good!
post #13 of 25 Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Zach , I don't have much to offer on this build , but to address your lack of building space while you are in the Army . Have you done a google search for makerspaces in your area? They are clubs or groups of tinkerers that have workshop spaces that you can join or often pay a few bucks to use the space and equipment . Great resource for those without space , equipment or knowledge of how to on building all sorts of stuff .

Have you poked around on base where you are stationed? 100 years ago at Ft Bragg they had an automotive shop space that we could pay a couple bucks an hour for a bay and use of tools , some might have a wood shop , I didn't have need of woodworking in my sweet communal barracks so I never looked into that.

Best of luck with your build and future adventures

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #14 of 25 Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Zach , I don't have much to offer on this build , but to address your lack of building space while you are in the Army . Have you done a google search for makerspaces in your area? They are clubs or groups of tinkerers that have workshop spaces that you can join or often pay a few bucks to use the space and equipment . Great resource for those without space , equipment or knowledge of how to on building all sorts of stuff .

Have you poked around on base where you are stationed? 100 years ago at Ft Bragg they had an automotive shop space that we could pay a couple bucks an hour for a bay and use of tools , some might have a wood shop , I didn't have need of woodworking in my sweet communal barracks so I never looked into that.

Best of luck with your build and future adventures
Thanks for the advice!

Last time I checked the wood shop here on post had shut down. There was a fantastic one on base when I was in Italy, but I didn't really have a use for it then. So far I've been able to manage, and was able to cobble together some 18" sub enclosures from DIYSoundGroup. I would have actually liked the opportunity to build enclosures for these too, but when we came to the agreement, John offered to build them for me. I felt like that was a win/win.

If I do get the space to put these in a dedicated theater, I will definitely look into the makerspace thing. I was an Audi tech before I came into the Army, so I've got a butt load of hand tools, but not much in the way of wood working. That's a great suggestion I hadn't thought of before.

Last edited by Zach_J; 09-02-2017 at 05:53 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-07-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Done yet?
post #16 of 25 Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Zach_J I'm not sure we discussed it, but you'll want some "weatherstripping" to seal the waveguides to the cabinets.

Updates?
post #17 of 25 Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@Zach_J I'm not sure we discussed it, but you'll want some "weatherstripping" to seal the waveguides to the cabinets.

Updates?
I sprayed 5/6 sides this past thursday, but left town for the weekend. The satin black turned out well, save for the initial can of leftover Krylon colormaster that I used as a base coat. about 20% through the can, the damn tip shot out and caused the crappy atomization and spray pattern you can see below. Luckily I had the Rustoleum ready to go, and it covered the affected areas nicely. Definitly not going to use Krylon paint that has that tip in the future though. Due to Irma, I haven't been able to spray the backs of the speakers yet, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be warm and not humid, so I can finish up that portion at least. Then I just have to install the foam lining, crossovers, and drivers/horns, and they should be done. I am house sitting this weekend, so it will probably be into next week by the time they are done.

I am actually going to use Ensolite, which is a leftover from my car stereo upgrade. It's an adhesive backed closed cell foam that should do the trick nicely, and is about 1/8" thick. Do you think I need to use something more substantial (like Ensolite) on the woofer gasket as well? Or is the rubber one sufficient?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seos12.jpg (327.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Krylon Crap.jpg (365.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg ensolite.jpg (560.5 KB, 270 views)
neo_2009, pgwalsh and filtor1 like this.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I sprayed 5/6 sides this past thursday, but left town for the weekend. The satin black turned out well, save for the initial can of leftover Krylon colormaster that I used as a base coat. about 20% through the can, the damn tip shot out and caused the crappy atomization and spray pattern you can see below. Luckily I had the Rustoleum ready to go, and it covered the affected areas nicely. Definitly not going to use Krylon paint that has that tip in the future though. Due to Irma, I haven't been able to spray the backs of the speakers yet, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be warm and not humid, so I can finish up that portion at least. Then I just have to install the foam lining, crossovers, and drivers/horns, and they should be done. I am house sitting this weekend, so it will probably be into next week by the time they are done.

I am actually going to use Ensolite, which is a leftover from my car stereo upgrade. It's an adhesive backed closed cell foam that should do the trick nicely, and is about 1/8" thick. Do you think I need to use something more substantial (like Ensolite) on the woofer gasket as well? Or is the rubber one sufficient?
That looks like it will work. You shouldn't need anything on the woofers.

I'm jealous.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-14-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Before you start again spraying the boxes, my suggestion is to shake all of the cans up and place them in hot water to raise the pressure in the can. Not boiling... just real warm water for about 10 minutes prior to spraying. You will get better atomization and it will lay down nicer.
pgwalsh and EarlK like this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Before you start again spraying the boxes, my suggestion is to shake all of the cans up and place them in hot water to raise the pressure in the can. Not boiling... just real warm water for about 10 minutes prior to spraying. You will get better atomization and it will lay down nicer.
This is very good advice in my opinion. I didn't use hot water, but the sun and it makes a difference. Spray painted my outdoor lights and it went on extremely smooth.
michael hurd and EarlK like this.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
This is very good advice in my opinion. I didn't use hot water, but the sun and it makes a difference. Spray painted my outdoor lights and it went on extremely smooth.
Yup, that's standard operating procedure for me anytime I use spray paint for anything. The crappy atomization of the Krylon wasn't due to it not being up to temp, it was because it blew out the tip. Rustoleum has the tip built in, whereas with the Krylon, you can rotate it to potentially change the "fan" of paint coverage from a vertical to horizontal dispersion pattern. It just wasn't very tightly in there, and shot off to who knows where about 25 sprays in.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Between my language refresher course, night time classes for college, and having to do my own job to also do, I didn't get any time to work on them during the week. However, I was able to spray the backs finally last night, and put some pretty heavy coats of satin black down. I let them dry and cure overnight in my room and they turned out like this:

So, I'm not entirely happy with how they came out. Were I to do them over again, I would use some sort of sanding sealer, bondo, 4 or 5 heavy coats of primer, and a lot more sanding, then spray the black out of a HVLP gun. Alas, current living situation in the barracks precludes that, and as such, I'm ok with how they turned out. If I end up putting them behind a screen in a future room, no one will see them anyway, so whatever. I may refinish them if I get some space, or one of the houses I've been eyeing.

Moving on, I decided that since the big TDM12 driver doesn't leave much room for bracing, I would put some leftover RAAMAT CLD tile I had leftover from my car stereo install to help deaden the walls of the box a little more. It may be completely worthless, but I had it on hand, so I figured why not. I used 4 sq ft in each box, and tried to dampen the port shelf as well. Here's pics of that:

Above you can also see why I'm not super enthused about the finish. Oh well.

Below is how I mounted the crossover:

Once they were mounted, I added the convoluted foam mattress topper as a further dampening layer, as was recommended. These things are $10 at walmart, and coincidentally the perfect size to do three of these speakers. Turned out like this:

I didn't add any of the foam to the shelf (upper port mdf piece) but the interior is covered about 95% or so, which I'm hoping is enough.

aaaaaaaand Voila!

Then it was just rinse and repeat.

And again!

I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to use to drive them. I was originally just thinking about a 2.1 system, and using a Behringer A500, but then I realized I wouldn't have any DSP, or even a way to set a cutoff. Currently my speakers are active, and the JBL LRS308s have crossovers built into the amps, and get a full range signal from my Emotiva DAC that is passed through the JBL LRS10 sub. Should I just bite the bullet and pick up a receiver for these? I'll have to figure out a creative way to utilize the center channel (placement wise), but if I did get the receiver, I would at least have that option, plus the ability to set the speakers to not play a full range signal. Once they were painted, It really only took me a couple hours to assemble them, which was way faster than I thought. I figured I would have more time to finalize an amplifier situation. Any thoughts on this from the people on this site would be most appreciated.

P.S. Yes @JohnDean , I pre-drilled all the holes hahaha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170923_235025.jpg (324.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_204530.jpg (323.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_201018.jpg (343.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_194320.jpg (301.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_191334.jpg (370.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_191326.jpg (330.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_191317.jpg (389.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_183027.jpg (332.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_183023.jpg (300.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 20170922_201026.jpg (316.9 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Zach_J; 09-24-2017 at 11:35 AM.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
My SEOS-12/TD12M/DNA-360 Build

What is that reflective stuff inside the box?

I don’t think that’s going to do what you want insulation to do which is knock down reflections. I would consider removing that and using 2” recycled denim or a open cell foam

Edit: I see the mattress topper now sorry. It does look thin though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #24 of 25 Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
What is that reflective stuff inside the box?

I don’t think that’s going to do what you want insulation to do which is knock down reflections. I would consider removing that and using 2” recycled denim or a open cell foam

Edit: I see the mattress topper now sorry. It does look thin though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reflective stuff is the foil backing to the dynamat type CLD tile product. The foam on top is 1.5", which looks to be what other people have used.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice work!

I think a receiver is probably the easiest option.

Have you heard them yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page