Originally Posted by JohnDean
Take all that stuff out down there close to the ports. It looks good bring them over and let me listen 😁
Originally Posted by carlthess40
Yes You really only need it on the sides and top and some on the rear right behind the magnet
Thanks guys - this is very helpful! How much polyfil should I use to fill the cavities once I'm closing everything up? Does it need to be on the dense side of things or just loosely fill the void?
Next thing I managed to get done was mounting the crossovers. I chose the back wall of the center chamber - just seemed like the logical place for it. The first thing I did was drill holes so that I could get wires to the other chambers from the center so that I could wire the woofers and also for the binding posts, which I decided to put in the bottom chamber sticking out of the back. I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill all of the holes - my drill would not fit inside perpendicular so each hole had to be drilled on an angle. It doesn't matter. I also used a 1/4" bit for the binding posts on the back panel spacing them 1" apart.
When it came time to actually mounting the crossovers, the PCB made it somewhat easy because they came pre-drilled with holes in each corner for feet/standoffs (not sure what they are called). When I was at Home Depot for like the 4th time over the weekend I noticed some rubber washers in the plumbing section and thought they would work perfectly.
I ended up using 2 of these in each corner to offset the board from the rear panel and used a 1" #8
screw to secure the board in place. The first thing I did was position the crossover where I wanted it to be mounted. Due to the wire lengths I shifted the boards up a little bit instead of centering them exactly. This would give me about an inch of extra wire to play with when it came time to connect the woofers, which I think will make all the difference.
Next, I used a pencil to mark where the screws would go through the hole in the board. Then I removed the crossover and drilled out the 4 holes making sure to not poke out the back (I put a piece of tape on the drill bit to tell me how deep to go). Finally, I placed 2 rubber washers on each pre-drilled hole and then placed the crossover on top and screwed it in place. This took a little bit of messing around to line everything up due to the tight space but I eventually got it.
You can see 2 sets of wires going into the bottom chamber (input and lows) and one set of wires going to the top chamber (lows).
Finally, I used some leftover caulk to seal up the holes I drilled for the wires. Not sure if this is necessary but I figured the woofers are separated for a reason so it couldn't hurt.
Next up is lining the insides with some 1" foam.
EDIT: forgot to post this: