post #1 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Aze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
sub idea for multi-marty

Hi all,
I have perused the marty builds a fair bit, and am planning to build 4 eventually. My thoughts recently have been about doing 2 full martys, and 2 mini martys. I was pondering the ability to direct the desired frequencies to either the full or mini marty by using a crossover, turning it into a kind of stereo 2-way sub arrangement with maybe below 60Hz to the full marty, and 50-120Hz to the mini as a rough idea. Firstly is there another way to manage bass frequencies to different subs? I was thinking then I could run them both off an inuke 6000 or similar. I may be over simplifying things, but I assume its possible to build a crossover with the relevant frequencies.
Any input or ideas during this planning stage is most appreciated.
Thanks, Are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
What you're describing sounds like a midbass module. Where midbass frequencies, let's say 150-80hz go to one driver(s) and 60hz and below go to the full marty.
The most efficient was to go about this is to get two different drivers (a subwoofer for the marty and a PA style speaker like the PA460 from Parts Express).

A couple ways you could go about this, one would be to get a miniDSP 2x4
And some DSP amps which seems you are looking at the iNukes.

Basically you would just a HPF, high pass filter, to apply to the midbass module to avoid excessive excursion and distortion.
Aze likes this.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #3 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Aze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
What you're describing sounds like a midbass module. Where midbass frequencies, let's say 150-80hz go to one driver(s) and 60hz and below go to the full marty.
The most efficient was to go about this is to get two different drivers (a subwoofer for the marty and a PA style speaker like the PA460 from Parts Express).

A couple ways you could go about this, one would be to get a miniDSP 2x4
And some DSP amps which seems you are looking at the iNukes.

Basically you would just a HPF, high pass filter, to apply to the midbass module to avoid excessive excursion and distortion.
Thats what I had in mind, say an ultimax 18" for the full marty and a 12" for the mini. Can an inuke set the range for the 12" while setting the 18" at the same time and for each channel? If so, it would make the crossover unnecessary which makes things easier. Then I just have to model drivers to find one which gives the response from each cabinet I want and I can join the league of bassheads
Aze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aze View Post
Hi all,
I have perused the marty builds a fair bit, and am planning to build 4 eventually. My thoughts recently have been about doing 2 full martys, and 2 mini martys. I was pondering the ability to direct the desired frequencies to either the full or mini marty by using a crossover, turning it into a kind of stereo 2-way sub arrangement with maybe below 60Hz to the full marty, and 50-120Hz to the mini as a rough idea. Firstly is there another way to manage bass frequencies to different subs? I was thinking then I could run them both off an inuke 6000 or similar. I may be over simplifying things, but I assume its possible to build a crossover with the relevant frequencies.
Any input or ideas during this planning stage is most appreciated.
Thanks, Are
A mini marty wont work no matter what driver you use because is tuned at 18hz, if you want more mid bass you need to build a custom box tuned at no less than 40hz.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pacheco Vasquez View Post
A mini marty wont work no matter what driver you use because is tuned at 18hz, if you want more mid bass you need to build a custom box tuned at no less than 40hz.
check out this thread

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...gn-thread.html

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
post #6 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
He mentioned the idea of setup a HPF at 50hz for the minimarty and that will negate all the port advantages of the mini marty.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats what I had in mind, say an ultimax 18" for the full marty and a 12" for the mini. Can an inuke set the range for the 12" while setting the 18" at the same time and for each channel? If so, it would make the crossover unnecessary which makes things easier. Then I just have to model drivers to find one which gives the response from each cabinet I want and I can join the league of bassheads
Aze
I'm not sure of the extent of the DSP capabilities per channel of the iNukes. I'm not sure if they are able to set a separate HPF for only a single channel.

The line of Marty cabs is for the common 18" drivers such as the UM-18/UXL, etc. there isn't really an official 12" mini marty. That would basically just be a 12" ported cab.

Either way, you can get the Dayton Audio PA460 and put it in a cab either sealed or tuned to around 40ish hz. That's an 18" PA style driver with super high sensitivity and midbass capabilities (output), more than any similarly priced 12".
You can search that driver on here and get tons of feed back and results from people using it in tons of ways.

Another thing to invest in is a program called REW. It's basically the ability to see your room, and how your subs are responding in your room with visual graphs. That way you can see peaks and nulls, etc.

If you're just starting out, I would personally see if you had the budget for 2 full Marty's. It's going to make things much easier starting out, and the UM-18 is a great driver.

Also, if you're wanting to use two different ported cabs each with a different tune, you're going to need some type of HPF (high pass filter) for the higher tuned cab.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
The DSP models of iNukes have exactly the crossover capability you're looking for.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #9 of 11 Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Aze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The DSP models of iNukes have exactly the crossover capability you're looking for.
So would I need one inuke for the full marty and a second for the mid-bass because they need different filters set on each?
Aze
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
So would I need one inuke for the full marty and a second for the mid-bass because they need different filters set on each?
Aze

Each channel (A and B) can be set separately. Here's an example at around 115 Hz. Adjust the settings for your crossover point. Also (shown turned off), the high pass for channel A and Low pass for channel B can be set as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture crossover 1.JPG (59.1 KB, 119 views)

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aze
Don't forget you'll need a platform other than MAC to get this interface. The DSP iNukes come with a supplied USB cable to connect your amp to PC/laptop to make better visual adjustments.

Also you should download REW, it's free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page