Some basic questions about subwoofers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 09-09-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Where did you manage to get stoneheges...I thought they were discontinued???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehlinge View Post
Where did you manage to get stoneheges...I thought they were discontinued???

If you email Erich he may be able to get them. He has a guy who builds them and they come fully assembled now but I'm not sure how many of these he is cranking out on a regular basis.
post #33 of 37 Old 09-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Music and movies have different dynamics. Have to be careful of over achieving. When a manufacturer posts Xmax, the speaker driver or woofer is in control up to the Xmax value. If going past this value, distortions are heard more compared to being below the Xmax value. Sure you can put 700 watts into RSS460HO-4, but sound quality will suffer. Sure you can put 1800 watts into the woofer, but sound quality will suffer even more. The mechanical limit of the RSS460HO-4 is probably 34 mm. I got this value from a matched passive radiator RSS460-PR which actually has 34 mm. In this case, 70% of mechanical limits is 23 mm for RSS460HO-4. javeryh have to decide which is preferred. Sound quality or SPL. If preferred sound quality, have to keep the excursions to 12.8 mm as the maximum. If preferred SPL, 23 mm is the maximum at a cost of 50% distortion.

I recommend going with a different pro-amplifier that has connectors that are familiar. I don't recommend going to eBay to get products unless you know what product you are buying hasn't been abused.

I don't recommend 2000 watt amplifier for this woofer. It's way over the limit and the mechanical limit is easily reached with one peak of output.

The following pictures show the results of my WinISD. I don't like WinISD because I believe it's not accurate. Think WinISD as a very rough draft for an estimate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	525watts.png
Views:	28
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2280334   Click image for larger version

Name:	700watts.png
Views:	19
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2280336   Click image for larger version

Name:	1400watts.png
Views:	19
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2280338   Click image for larger version

Name:	1650watts.png
Views:	20
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2280340   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000watts.png
Views:	18
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2280342  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
Music and movies have different dynamics. Have to be careful of over achieving. When a manufacturer posts Xmax, the speaker driver or woofer is in control up to the Xmax value. If going past this value, distortions are heard more compared to being below the Xmax value. Sure you can put 700 watts into RSS460HO-4, but sound quality will suffer. Sure you can put 1800 watts into the woofer, but sound quality will suffer even more. The mechanical limit of the RSS460HO-4 is probably 34 mm. I got this value from a matched passive radiator RSS460-PR which actually has 34 mm. In this case, 70% of mechanical limits is 23 mm for RSS460HO-4. javeryh have to decide which is preferred. Sound quality or SPL. If preferred sound quality, have to keep the excursions to 12.8 mm as the maximum. If preferred SPL, 23 mm is the maximum at a cost of 50% distortion.

I recommend going with a different pro-amplifier that has connectors that are familiar. I don't recommend going to eBay to get products unless you know what product you are buying hasn't been abused.

I don't recommend 2000 watt amplifier for this woofer. It's way over the limit and the mechanical limit is easily reached with one peak of output.

The following pictures show the results of my WinISD. I don't like WinISD because I believe it's not accurate. Think WinISD as a very rough draft for an estimate.
The amps are brand new from Authorized dealers and come with the factory warranty and a Speakon connector is not that difficult to use. @javeryh has designed and built his own theater from the looks of it. I think he can handle a Speakon connector, I am sure of it. I have faith in you @javeryh

You realize you can set a limiter, it is not like you are feeding the sub 2000watts no matter what?

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #35 of 37 Old 09-10-2017, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post

What does mechanical limit mean? Is that how much the woofer can vibrate while in use? I wish I knew what I was even looking at with those WinISD graphs...

The theater room will be mainly for movies/TV/video games - listening to music (as much as I'm a music nut) is probably way down the list. So whatever I end up doing should be geared towards that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
The amps are brand new from Authorized dealers and come with the factory warranty and a Speakon connector is not that difficult to use. @javeryh has designed and built his own theater from the looks of it. I think he can handle a Speakon connector, I am sure of it. I have faith in you @javeryh

You realize you can set a limiter, it is not like you are feeding the sub 2000watts no matter what?
I am 1000% comfortable drilling a hole and installing the Speakon connector.

By setting a limiter, do you mean that I can control the maximum wattage the subwoofer will receive from the amp no matter how loud someone turns up the volume? Is that done via software somehow?
post #36 of 37 Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
What does mechanical limit mean? Is that how much the woofer can vibrate while in use? I wish I knew what I was even looking at with those WinISD graphs...
Mechanical limit is just that. The max a woofer can go mechanically before it hits the back of the spider and eventually tears itself apart. There is also a THERMAL limit, which is the max the spider can take before overheating which causes the coil over time to de-laminate and come apart.

The Excursion WinISD graph is a indication of the amount of movement the driver will make in your box at the different frequencies. The X axis is the amount of movement, the Y axis indicates the frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
By setting a limiter, do you mean that I can control the maximum wattage the subwoofer will receive from the amp no matter how loud someone turns up the volume? Is that done via software somehow?
Yes, thats exactly what it means. You are limiting the max wattage (separate from the gain knobs on the front). It is done via the software in the iNuke.
javeryh and bscool like this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #37 of 37 Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Mechanical limit is just that. The max a woofer can go mechanically before it hits the back of the spider and eventually tears itself apart. There is also a THERMAL limit, which is the max the spider can take before overheating which causes the coil over time to de-laminate and come apart.

The Excursion WinISD graph is a indication of the amount of movement the driver will make in your box at the different frequencies. The X axis is the amount of movement, the Y axis indicates the frequency.

Yes, thats exactly what it means. You are limiting the max wattage (separate from the gain knobs on the front). It is done via the software in the iNuke.
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone - I placed the order for the parts and everything should arrive by Wednesday. I painted the Stonehenges this weekend (Kilz + 2 coats of Duratex) and they look nice so I'm excited to finish them up. I'll start a build thread soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page