Originally Posted by bgtighe23
Any picture updates?
Here we go... I managed to completely finish the subs this weekend.
The first thing I did was wire up the chassis mount. This was pretty easy to do - I used 3/8" crimp connectors and some leftover 16 gauge wire from my 1099 project. I wired both to the "1" connections on the chassis mount (the "2" will not be used).
Once that was complete I needed to drill the holes in the back of the cabinets for the chassis mount. I wasn't sure what size hole to drill so I tested a 3/4" bit and a 1" bit in some scrap wood.
The 1" hole was a little big but the 3/4" hole was way too small so I went with the 1" hole (I used a Foerstner bit to drill). I decided to drill the hole dead center 4" up from the bottom but I suppose the connector could go anywhere.
The bit cuts through the MDF like butter but there is some blowout on the back side you have to be careful of. I didn't really care but maybe some of you do.
Once the hole was drilled, I threaded the wired chassis mount through and set it in place. Then, using my awl, I marked the locations of the screws and drilled out the holes.
Finally, before screwing the chassis mount in place (using 1" wood screws - #8)
I put some gasket tape around the hole to seal it up. Not sure if this is necessary but I figured it can't hurt.
Here is what it looks like screwed into place:
And finally, here is a shot from the inside:
Next up was lining the inside of the cabinet with mattress foam and installing the drivers!