The PBJB (Portable Bluetooth Jam Box) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 11-08-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 593 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
The PBJB (Portable Bluetooth Jam Box)

Not affiliated with peanut butter jelly & bananas.

I built this for my Sister as a Christmas present last year and recently brought it to Mike's (eng-399) GTG. A few people expressed interest in it and it is pretty overdue for a thread.

The design is basically a stereo pair of 5.25" two way speakers crammed into a single enclosure and uses a Dayton Audio KAB Bluetooth enabled amplifier board for power.

It measures 11.5" high x 10" deep x 18" wide. That does include 5/8" for the lip/grill on the front. I built it out of 3/4" thick edge glued Baltic Birch boards:
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...5116081&ipos=1

I wanted to build something that sounded better then the tiny cheap plastic single driver bluetooth speakers that my sister had at the time which didn't sound much better then her phone's built in speaker. I also wanted it to put out decent bass and get pretty loud without ending up with some massive unwieldy box that would be too large to easily move or carry. While the term portable might be a little bit of a stretch for the one I built a handle could easily be placed on the top making it a little easily carried in a single hand and so I think it qualifies. The Dayton KAB Bluetooth amplifier boards were perfect for this project and actually seeing the new product announcement for them got the wheel turning for this design. I picked the Dayton DC130B-4 woofers as they looked to be the best value for a 4 ohm woofer in order extract the most power from the amp and had the right T/S specs for the box size I was looking to use. I went with the ND25FA-4 tweeters as they looked to provide a good match for the woofers and didn't break the bank. The enclosure is about 0.7cuft internal and uses a single 2.5" flared port cut at 5" long, tuning ends up about 55hz. Assuming power from the amp is correct the speaker should be capable of 100dB+ from 50hz on up, (105dB+ between 60-200hz). Not many Bluetooth speakers can touch that.

The difficulty with the design was finding a way to mount the amplifier and the inputs, LED's and controls. I ended up using a 5" x 7" blank panel and drilling out holes to mount all the stuff on the back and mounting the amplifier board to the l-bracket inside the enclosure. Since it was too difficult to get it in through one of the woofer holes I had to make the back panel of the box removable which is why you see all the screws around the perimeter. I probably spent a good $10+ on hardware just for that and recessing those flat head screws was a pain. I also had trouble with my amplifier board not providing power to the 18650 batteries on the battery extension board when the AC adaptor was plugged in. Not sure if it was a fluke with just my board or what but I had to add a separate regulator circuit that would feed 12v to the battery board when I plugged in the AC adaptor. The complexity and difficulty of mounting everything is why I really didn't post the design right away. Though I recently developed a very nice solution for all the mounting troubles.

Here is the BOM from parts express for this design:

Crossover Schematic (two needed for design, one per channel):

Last edited by mtg90; 11-08-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 542 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 4987
This box sounded great I heard this along with a few guys at my house anyone who builds this will be happy with the sound quality. Great work Matt the cabinet and build is really nice!
post #3 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 281
The Jam Box looks amazing Matt!

I wish I lived closer to your area so I could attend the GTG's Mike puts together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
@mtg90

I request you rename the thread and the build to The PBJ. The reason being I will chuckle to myself everytime I see it.

I am disappointed I was unable to here this thing in action. That said I may just have to build one for myself for around the house.

Any idea on the runtime of this off a single charge? And would adding a larger battery pack be something that could be done?

I'm sure you've thought of all of these things, but since I didnt get you ask you directly I will just throw 50 million questions at you at once

And lastly, thats some really nice machinery in the background of those pics. Now I'm jealous lol...

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #5 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it could be called the PBJ Box as well as I have it named in the schematic. I didn't really have a name for it until yesterday when I was creating the thread and had to think of something to call it.

Run time off a single charge depends on the volume level, if you are really cranking it the batteries (the ones PE sells and I have listed in the BOM) might last about an hour or so if you figure they are about 9WH each giving about 27Wh total. If you have the volume lower they will likely last far longer I'd say 6-12+ hours at more reasonable levels. You can find 18650's with higher capacity and you can also connect multiple battery boards in parallel for extended run time.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Well it could be called the PBJ Box as well as I have it named in the schematic. I didn't really have a name for it until yesterday when I was creating the thread and had to think of something to call it.
Thats what I personally will forever call it

Quote:
Run time off a single charge depends on the volume level, if you are really cranking it the batteries (the ones PE sells and I have listed in the BOM) might last about an hour or so if you figure they are about 9WH each giving about 27Wh total.
So basically an hour .

Quote:
If you have the volume lower they will likely last far longer I'd say 6-12+ hours at more reasonable levels.
*Gasp* HOW DARE YOU USE THAT LANGUAGE HERE. "REASONABLE LEVELS". I AM OFFENDED BY THE NOTION WE DO ANYTHING AT REASONABLE LEVELS HERE

Quote:
You can find 18650's with higher capacity and you can also connect multiple battery boards in parallel for extended run time.
Good to know about multiple batteries.

PS: Please tell me your sister was super pumped about your gift, cause that's a really thoughtful one for sure.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #7 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 449
MTG90 will this perhaps be sold in a flat pack or perhaps a baffle, finished XO's and all other parts?

I ask because I am looking at building one of these but not sure how much actual time I will have to do this. So a "kit," with a baffle cutout board would be perfect and huge time savour I think.

Either way another great build again. Thanks
bubbrik likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 621
This is a really impressive build. Do you have any pictures of the inside?
post #9 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 362
The PBJB (Portable Bluetooth Jam Box)

Where did you mount the battery bank?

My wife saw this and now wants me to make it. Lol you achieved WAF.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Trimlock; 11-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
MTG90 will this perhaps be sold in a flat pack or perhaps a baffle, finished XO's and all other parts?

I ask because I am looking at building one of these but not sure how much actual time I will have to do this. So a "kit," with a baffle cutout board would be perfect and huge time savour I think.

Either way another great build again. Thanks
I have to talk with Erich about that. I want to have these available as a kit of some kind as I do feel these would be rather popular perhaps reaching a larger and or different crowd then your normal DIY speaker kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
This is a really impressive build. Do you have any pictures of the inside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
Where did you mount the battery bank?

My wife saw this and now wants me to make it. Lol you achieved WAF.
Thanks, I don't have pictures of the inside but I'll try to get some tomorrow. The batteries are mounted above the amplifier board which in centered on the bottom of the box mounted with the L-bracket. They are actually accessible just by removing the port so the entire back does not need to be removed to get to them.

However I noted that I had designed an even easier/simplistic mounting solution for everything, this is what I came up with:

So basically turn it all into a nice little and easily mountable plate amp.
post #11 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Awesome!
post #12 of 34 Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s a very elegant design.

Did you also design the metal plate?

post #13 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@mtg90

Thats an awesome design. Can I throw out an idea if this goes to mass market. Instead of having the battery pack mounted to the crossover board, lengthen the height of the box a couple inches and then add a false bottom that's easily accessible from underneath that you can add more battery packs to. So it say comes with 2 battery packs, but the added space built in to expand to X number of battery packs just by removing the false bottom and connecting in more.

So kinda like taking your existing box, adding 2" to the height, and a removable bottom piece like you did for the back of the box you have now, where all the batteries are stored. Or conversely, you could do this exact same thing just with one or both sides, making the screws part of the design if you wanted.

Kinda like in a computer only using 2 RAM slots, but having 4 more open if you need to take advantage of it.

Just not sure if thats feasible, but it would be a good way to allow for battery run time expansion without the headache of taking anything out of the main box. Just unscrew a panel, pop in additional battery packs, connect them to whats there, and BAM your done.

If my idea doesnt make sense, I can mock it up on my computer later tonight and post a pic.

post #14 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Would there be a way to connect a subwoofer?
post #15 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
That’s a very elegant design.

Did you also design the metal plate?

Yes the aluminum mounting plate is the part I designed to hold the amplifier board, battery extension board and connectors/inputs/LED's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
@mtg90

Thats an awesome design. Can I throw out an idea if this goes to mass market. Instead of having the battery pack mounted to the crossover board, lengthen the height of the box a couple inches and then add a false bottom that's easily accessible from underneath that you can add more battery packs to. So it say comes with 2 battery packs, but the added space built in to expand to X number of battery packs just by removing the false bottom and connecting in more.

So kinda like taking your existing box, adding 2" to the height, and a removable bottom piece like you did for the back of the box you have now, where all the batteries are stored. Or conversely, you could do this exact same thing just with one or both sides, making the screws part of the design if you wanted.

Kinda like in a computer only using 2 RAM slots, but having 4 more open if you need to take advantage of it.

Just not sure if thats feasible, but it would be a good way to allow for battery run time expansion without the headache of taking anything out of the main box. Just unscrew a panel, pop in additional battery packs, connect them to whats there, and BAM your done.

If my idea doesnt make sense, I can mock it up on my computer later tonight and post a pic.
I really don't see the need to have more then 1-1/2 hours of runtime off batteries at FULL VOLUME which should be achievable with 3400-3500maH 18650's. You also realize you can use it while it's plugged in and charging right? Adding a large removable panel is what I was trying to avoid, though it would not be difficult to make up another aluminum plate like the one I have for the amplifier board but blank and onto which 2 more battery boards could be attached. However that would require an extra cutout on the box and extra cost for the additional aluminum panel and hardware even if someone didn't need the extra battery boards just because the box still needs to be sealed up. Right now someone doesn't even need to buy the battery board/batteries if they don't plan on using that functionality and save nearly $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9woofer View Post
Would there be a way to connect a subwoofer?
No real easy way to do that as their isn't a line level output from the amp. You would have to add some kind of stereo speaker level output terminals and connect them to speaker level inputs on the sub if it has them.
Trimlock likes this.
post #16 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 585
post #17 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really don't see the need to have more then 1-1/2 hours of runtime off batteries at FULL VOLUME which should be achievable with 3400-3500maH 18650's. You also realize you can use it while it's plugged in and charging right? Adding a large removable panel is what I was trying to avoid, though it would not be difficult to make up another aluminum plate like the one I have for the amplifier board but blank and onto which 2 more battery boards could be attached. However that would require an extra cutout on the box and extra cost for the additional aluminum panel and hardware even if someone didn't need the extra battery boards just because the box still needs to be sealed up. Right now someone doesn't even need to buy the battery board/batteries if they don't plan on using that functionality and save nearly $20.
When you put it that way, your right, it makes more sense your way .

post #18 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the aluminum mounting plate is the part I designed to hold the amplifier board, battery extension board and connectors/inputs/LED's.

You don’t happen to have some notes or close up photos of it do you?

post #19 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the inside of the box with back taken off:
BllDo, eng-399 and chrapladm like this.
post #20 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I want to build one (or more) of these!!! I can think of a dozen uses for something like this, and I also really don't like most of the commercially available BT speakers that are out there. Even if you don't make these a kit, I think I am gonna have to build one one of these days. Great job Matt!

Sean
post #21 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:

That looks great

post #22 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Of this were a kit I'd buy one
post #23 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looks Great

Quote:
Hey Matt,

Name is Jared and I sent you a private msg. jws66m is my user name. If you wouldn't mind reading it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
post #24 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 449
MTG90 not asking for this to be added but is there a way to add a LED battery level bar or something showing battery level?

I dont mind doing this myself just curious if there was. Would be fine if it didnt have one as I could always have an extra battery on hand when not near wall power.
post #25 of 34 Old 11-10-2017, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Something like this could likely be wired to the battery board output and show remaining power level. Would need to get the 3 cell version:
https://www.banggood.com/3_7V7_4V-11...4aAoxNEALw_wcB

Would probably be best to have it wired up to some kind of small momentary switch so it's not draining power all the time.

Though based on the specs they give it's not likely to represent true level from the batteries as lipo/li-ion batteries don't normally follow a linear discharge curve. 90% of the power is likely consumed before the cells drop to 3.6 volts assuming they are not under heavy load. So by the time it shows 2 bars left the batteries will probably be close to empty and it will quickly drop down to the last bar.

Edit, another option:
https://www.banggood.com/2S-3S-4S-Li...r_warehouse=CN

Seem to be a few option like that out there.

Last edited by mtg90; 11-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-12-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does this amp have protective power charging for the 18650’s? Or do I need to buy the ones with the protective circuits already?

post #27 of 34 Old 11-12-2017, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The protection circuits are on the battery board itself not the amplifier board so you have to use either their battery extension board or something else that has overcharge/discharge and cell balancing circuits built in.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-12-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The protection circuits are on the battery board itself not the amplifier board so you have to use either their battery extension board or something else that has overcharge/discharge and cell balancing circuits built in.
oh duh, I didn't notice that the battery pack also had a charging protective circuit.
post #29 of 34 Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
I would buy a kit for this thing in a heartbeat. Loved it at the gtg.
Kits would be awesome. These would make fantastic gifts, and mean so much more than anything from big box stores.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #30 of 34 Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How were the labels put on the aluminum plate? Decals or laser engraved or some other method? Also, what did you make the front grill out of? Thank you.

Last edited by Talbert101; 01-24-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page