12" JBL speaker $29 on black friday at Bestbuy - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1409Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3601 of 3612 Old 03-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
BP1Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Talking

Eu eqs slaps-m12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 JBL CX1200 + 1 EU SLAPS-M12 3ft3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2701728  

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
BP1Fanatic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3602 of 3612 Old 03-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
BP1Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Cool

Here is a model with the supplied 255g mass for the M12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 JBL CX1200 + 1 EU SLAPS-M12 + 255g @ 3ft3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1,012.0 KB
ID:	2701874  

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
BP1Fanatic is offline  
post #3603 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Arv
Senior Member
 
Arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Here is a model with the supplied 255g mass for the M12.
Thanks so much for doing all this work! Much appreciated BP1Fanatic! Sorry been busy lately. I think I know what is going on, @Chris Popovich , @Nalleh and who ever know about PRs, please correct me if I am wrong. As we have suspected the SLAPS really needs a very stiff air spring so I think 3 cubes is just too big of an enclosure that is why we are not seeing a "flattening of the curve" and the FR still looks like a sealed box. The SLAPS is just not putting out much SPL so there's no increase in the 20-50Hz -ish range.


Smaller box? Or 2 JBLs is just not pushing it hard enough, I know that the Sd of 3 JBLs is too much but could 3 JBLs + 1 SLAPS work? After all this thing has a huge Xmax!
Arv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3604 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 287
In my (unpopular) opinion the JBL's are the wrong tool for the SLAPs. Can you make it work, absolutely, but you'll be doing nearly as much eq as the sealed guys are doing. It should give you more headroom, but not a ton. Earthquake really spills the beans (IMO) when they say "no additional box volume over sealed". If you make the box smaller, you'll get more output from the PR and less from the driver. Again, you can cook up an alignment that'll sound good, especially near field (IMO easier to get to sound good primarily since SPL requirements are so much lower and room issues don't really come into the picture).

Let me finish my little monster box and I'll have some more info. Dual slaps and dual 10" drivers in less than 1.5cuft.

Chris
Chris Popovich is offline  
post #3605 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Arv
Senior Member
 
Arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
In my (unpopular) opinion the JBL's are the wrong tool for the SLAPs. Can you make it work, absolutely, but you'll be doing nearly as much eq as the sealed guys are doing. It should give you more headroom, but not a ton. Earthquake really spills the beans (IMO) when they say "no additional box volume over sealed". If you make the box smaller, you'll get more output from the PR and less from the driver. Again, you can cook up an alignment that'll sound good, especially near field (IMO easier to get to sound good primarily since SPL requirements are so much lower and room issues don't really come into the picture).

Let me finish my little monster box and I'll have some more info. Dual slaps and dual 10" drivers in less than 1.5cuft.

Chris

I kinda suspected that the distortion that Michael was getting was due to all the boost on the low end because technically distortion should be lower with a ported/PRd compared to sealed. But what you just said confirms it I guess.


How about a 3rd JBL? I think I'm going to try it unless you think it ain't going to work. It's not ideal but might be worth a try?


Yeah get that little monster done!
Arv is offline  
post #3606 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 287
It'll work (kinda) but it's a pain in the ass to drive. 3 driver is either 1.33 ohms or 12 ohms. If you do 6 drivers it's either 2.66ohms or 6 ohms... I did 6 ohms when bridging amps into them.

Little monster sneak peek attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8296.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2702954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8295.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	2702956  
Chris Popovich is offline  
post #3607 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 06:50 PM
Arv
Senior Member
 
Arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
It'll work (kinda) but it's a pain in the ass to drive. 3 driver is either 1.33 ohms or 12 ohms. If you do 6 drivers it's either 2.66ohms or 6 ohms... I did 6 ohms when bridging amps into them.

Little monster sneak peek attached

It's a Sunfire! 😁 That IS a little monster!

I was originally planning on 3 of 2jbls+slaps for a 6 ohm load but 3 of 3jbls+slaps will be better for a 4 ohm load! So is there another issue that you can see with a triple?
Arv is offline  
post #3608 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Not really, now you're getting into the box volume arena of those who have had good luck with slaps.
Chris Popovich is offline  
post #3609 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Arv
Senior Member
 
Arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ok, I'll do the 2+1 then add the 3rd for comparison. Thanks for all your input Chris!
Arv is offline  
post #3610 of 3612 Old 03-28-2020, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,464
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3047 Post(s)
Liked: 4401
Adding more SLAPS is like adding more ports, you increase the tune, which sounds like the opposite of what is wanted.

I would rather put more mass on the two that is used.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
Nalleh is offline  
post #3611 of 3612 Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 AM
Arv
Senior Member
 
Arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Adding more SLAPS is like adding more ports, you increase the tune, which sounds like the opposite of what is wanted.

I would rather put more mass on the two that is used.
Nalleh
I was going to add a 3rd JBL not a SLAPS, sorry if I wasn't clear. I know the Sd of one SLAPS is not enough for 3x12s but per the models it doesn't look like the SLAPS is not being pushed that much so I m going to try to see if 3rd JBL would do the trick. What do you think? Unless you've tried this already?

Last edited by Arv; 03-29-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Arv is offline  
post #3612 of 3612 Old 03-29-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,464
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3047 Post(s)
Liked: 4401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv View Post
Nalleh
I was going to add a 3rd JBL not a SLAPS, sorry if I wasn't clear. I know the Sd of one SLAPS is not enough for 3x12s but per the models it doesn't look like the SLAPS is not being pushed that much so I m going to try to see if 3rd JBL would do the trick. What do you think? Unless you've tried this already?
LOL, my bad, you actually said JBL

Well, the sim above show the SLAPS at 44mm, which is pretty close to its 50.8mm Xmax(one-way), but that is before the HPF is added.

I don’t use HPF, as i want the TR from the SLAPS, so 2 is the limit

BTW i use 1cf per JBL.

But again, you can add mass to tune it lower. Put on 1 Kg of mass and let it ripp
Chris Popovich likes this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
Nalleh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off