12" JBL speaker $29 on black friday at Bestbuy - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 838Likes

post #91 of 2277 Old 03-29-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
@LastButNotLeast , you said the inside diameter of the 8" Quik-Tube you got from Home Depot was a little too large for your 8" driver so the speaker flange wouldn't rest on the tube wall. It's my understanding that the 48" x 12" Quik-Tubes have .125" wall thickness and come nested in sets, with the inside diameter of each identical to the outside diameter of the one nesting inside of it.

The 12" JBL drivers are 12.25" diameter measured at the outside of the flange, so the ideal for getting full support of the speaker flange on the tube wall would be if the inside diameter of the 12" tube is exactly 12" and the exterior dimension exactly 12.25". That's what I'll be looking for when I go to measure at Home Depot (and Lowes and Menard's if they have different brands of concrete form tubes).

One thing I found out is that the shipping weight of a 48" x 12" Sonotube is just 3.5 lbs., and I assume the other brands are equally light. That is just a stunningly light weight for a ~3 cu. ft. subwoofer enclosure that's both strong due to the cylindrical shape and inert due to being made of fiber. The added benefit of vibration-cancelling opposing drivers is the final touch that makes this project so intriguing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2277 Old 03-29-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
I know I'm certainly intrigued.
I thought I saved a link to sonotube modeling software (similar to winisd), but I didn't. Maybe you can start a new build thread and get input there.
Please post the link here!
Have fun.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #93 of 2277 Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@LastButNotLeast , there's a free software called Sonosub at subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm . But the creator was only interested in ported Sonotube subs so I don't really see anything that applies to dual opposed sealed optimization. Since the optimum sealed enclosure volume for these JBL drivers has already been determined it's simply a matter of selecting the proper size tube and properly screwing it together with no further need for modeling software.

I will warn you that I tend to move at a snail's pace on projects like this so don't expect quick results. I enjoy the research as much as anything else. I've already been thinking about it a long time and I keep coming up with new ideas on how to do it, so it will take me awhile to collect the hardware and start actually screwing it together. I'm just happy right now to have found the right driver for the project.
LastButNotLeast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 2277 Old 03-29-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I don't see drivers like these hitting $29 again any time soon, you're the only guinea pig.
I wait with bated breath.

post #95 of 2277 Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Best current pricing seems to be WalMart where the CS1214 is $42.06 each with free shipping so ~$90 a pair with tax. From what I've read no performance difference between the CS1214 and CX1200.
post #96 of 2277 Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@LastButNotLeast , one of my concerns about mounting 12" drivers in 12" diameter Sonotube has been how to properly attach the drivers to the tube. Most sonosubs use larger diameter tubes than driver diameter, so 12" drivers in 14" or larger diameter tubes. This requires producing a ring to cover the end of the tube with an appropriately sized inside diameter to fit the driver. Without woodworking tools I didn't see how I could do this.

Your use of long threaded steel rods through the interior of the tube to attach the two drivers gave me hope. But it would require exactly the correct inside and outside tube dimensions to match up with the driver's outside flange diameter and the speaker mounting holes matching up with the tube's interior diameter. Additionally the end caps used on most sonosubs add a little structure and stiffness that would be lacking if the drivers were mounted directly to the tube. Whether or not this would make a difference in sub performance is open to question.

As it turns out my further research into car speaker drivers has led me to the discovery of car speaker mounting and spacer rings. There are many different options available for 12" speakers made from materials such as MDF and ABS. Most can be purchased for ~$20 a pair which isn't much more than you paid for your threaded steel tubes. Of course it would require the use of glue which you avoided, but glue is one DIY process I can handle.

I'm in the process of searching for what I think might be the the optimum 12" mounting/spacer rings but will include an image below just to give you one example of what's available for those of us who lack woodworking tools.

post #97 of 2277 Old 03-30-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Outstanding!

post #98 of 2277 Old 03-31-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

QUESTION: Could someone who owns a CS1214 or CX1200 please measure and confirm the spec that shows the outside diameter to the edges of the flange is 12.25" and also measure the exact distance from the outer edge of the flange to the center of one of the mounting holes? Knowing these exact dimensions will really help me as I consider various methods to mount the drivers to a tube as discussed below.

I visited both Lowes and Home Depot today and they had the same Quik-Tubes at the same price ($11.50 each). They were nested in groups of four with a maximum OD of 12.5", minimum ID of 11.5" and wall thickness of .125". So, from biggest to smallest the four tubes in each nest ran 12.5"/12.25", 12.25"/12", 12"/11.75" and 11.75"/11.5". I did not yet visit the local Menards. They advertise theirs for $10.75 and as Sonotube though the included image shows graphics on their exterior saying Menards Concrete Forming Tube. I would expect them to be virtually identical to the Quik-Tubes but I'll have a look next time I'm down there.

In addition to use for DIY subwoofers these tubes are also popular with amateur astronomers as DIY telescope tubes. According to their forum the various brand 12" diameter tubes are available with .125", .250", .375" and even .5" wall thickness. The lightest duty models are available at the big box stores while the heavier duty commercial ones are available from construction supply houses. For telescope use the .125" wall is borderline for rigidity so if using the lighter weight ones they either glue two nesting sizes inside one another and/or coat the tube with a finish like shellac, varnish or polyurethane. This doesn't seem as critical for subwoofer use as the forces are more evenly dispersed than with a telescope that can become distorted from the pressure of hanging heavy attachments on mounting rings.

For a sub I could see some value in nesting two tubes of the appropriate size together. They slide together quite easily and I think they still would if given a light coat of slow-drying adhesive such as Titebond. If they could be sized such that the driver mounting holes aligned with the gap between the two tubes it might be possible to secure eight threaded inserts in the gap aligned with the eight mounting holes in the driver and fasten the drivers to the ends of the tube with machine screws. That's why I asked the measurement question at the top of this post.

Still thinking this project through and appreciating all the good input from others.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 03-31-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #99 of 2277 Old 03-31-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two tubes sliding = variable volume!
Now THAT would be a fabulous experiment.
I'm hoping to look at winisd; IIRC it has an option for two speakers in one enclosure. I'm not familiar with the program, so I don't know if it has a dual-opposed option.
You're making progress.

Michael

post #100 of 2277 Old 03-31-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
... I'm hoping to look at winisd; IIRC it has an option for two speakers in one enclosure. I'm not familiar with the program, so I don't know if it has a dual-opposed option. ...
I don't think it matters how the two drivers are oriented in a single enclosure. Should be the same results for the same drivers in the same size sealed enclosure whether they're opposed or pointing in the same direction.

Right now I'm leaning toward a 12"/11.75" tube inside a 12.25"/12" tube for .25" wall thickness. That would give me an OD of 12.25" to exactly match the 12.25" OD of the drivers and an ID of 11.75". A 48" cylinder with 5.875" radius calculates to a volume of 3.01 cu. ft. I don't know how much internal volume the drivers will take up, but I think I can at least offset that by maximum stuffing with polyfill.

So if you do play with WinISD it would probably be safe to calculate for 3.0 cu. ft. or 1.5 cu. ft. per driver. That's slightly less than the 1.7 cu. ft. optimum I've seen on this forum but well over the 1.0 cu. ft. recommended by JBL for car use.
post #101 of 2277 Old 04-02-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on the above: I found an estimate that the JBL drivers take up ~.1 cu. ft. volume each, so subtract .2 cu. ft. from the calculated cylinder total of 3.01 cu. ft. leaving 2.8 cu. ft.

For stuffing with polyfill I stumbled across a great experiment done many years ago by the late subwoofer guru Tom Nousaine. He experimented with various stuffing densities in different sized sealed and ported enclosures. For my use with 2.8 cu. ft. after subtracting driver volume, the following should be most applicable:

Quote:
Stuff small enclosures – those with up to about 3 cubic feet of internal volume or less – with 1.5 pounds of fiberfill for each cubic foot of internal volume and you should get about a 30-percent increase in box volume without seriously affecting other performance variables.
So 130% of 2.8 cu. ft. = 3.64 cu. ft. Let's say 30% is a best case scenario and we only get a 20% effective increase in volume. That would give us 3.36 cu. ft., which is right on top of the recommended 3.4 cu. ft. for a pair of these JBL drivers. The more I tap into the accumulated experience and expertise in the DIY and subwoofer community the more confident I am that this is a valid concept.
LastButNotLeast likes this.
post #102 of 2277 Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #103 of 2277 Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

More research: While Sonotube no longer lists wall thickness on their website you can go back in web time with the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) to the last year they posted a document called fibreforms.pdf which did list wall thickness. A lot of the confusion about different wall thicknesses comes from the fact that there was not only standard and heavy duty Sonotube but wall thickness increased with the diameter of the tube.

What I found is that for 12" Sonotube standard walls were listed at .15" and heavy duty walls were .19". While it's not certain that they remain the same today at least one supplier lists standard 12" Sonotube with .14" wall thickness. The Quick-Tube 12" walls I measured at Lowes and Home depot were roughly 1/8" on my tape measure so I estimated .125" but that could be slightly high or low. Based on this research I'm almost positive that one 12" Quik-Tube nesting section glued inside one of the next larger size would closely approximate or possibly exceed the strength and stiffness of heavy duty 12" Sonotube as specified in 2005.

For those who might be interested I'll include a link to the old fibreforms.pdf document:

web.archive.org/web/20050527191333/http://www.sonoco.com:80/resources/fibreforms.pdf
post #104 of 2277 Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
QUESTION: Could someone who owns a CS1214 or CX1200 please measure and confirm the spec that shows the outside diameter to the edges of the flange is 12.25" and also measure the exact distance from the outer edge of the flange to the center of one of the mounting holes? Knowing these exact dimensions will really help me as I consider various methods to mount the drivers to a tube as discussed below.
Crap sorry @Dave in Green I forgot to grab that for you when I went home. I'll set an alarm to remind myself tonight.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #105 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM

Yah @Dave in Green it's exactly 12.25" from edge-to-edge and .25" from the edge to center of the mounting holes.
post #106 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1445

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (so ignore any typos grammatical errors because my iPhone predictive text stinks)

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #107 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Madaeel , thank you for the independent measurement. I hadn't seen the technical drawing before, but it seems to create a little confusion. All the other literature says the outside diameter to the edges of the CS1214/CX1200 basket is 12 1/4" (12.25") as you measured. But the technical drawing shows a diameter of 12 1/16" (12.0625"), so a difference of 3/16" (.1875").

It really helps to know the exact diameter is 12.25" and the mounting hole centers are .25" from the edges. That would make the diameter of the mounting hole centers 11.75", which means the threaded rod solution could work in a tube with an 11.75" inside diameter. Having the rods run through both sets of speaker mounting holes pressing tight against the interior walls could give good structural support in place of the heavy MDF end caps typically used to mount speakers on the ends of sonosubs of larger diameter than the drivers. I haven't settled on the optimum method of mounting the drivers to the ends of the tube and am still considering various options.
post #108 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Well enders was for the 1214 and my measurements were for the 1200 hence the discrepancy. Now if there's a technical drawing of the 1200 showing 12 1/16 then that's wrong. Also the mounting holes are a decent size and give you some wiggle room.
post #109 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave, don't you HAVE the speakers?

post #110 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
12" JBL speaker $29 on black friday at Bestbuy

Quote:
I hadn't seen the technical drawing before

Well there's a reason you've never seen that drawing before lol.... I made it in Visio for myself hehehehe. It doesnt exist anywhere as I looked all over for it. Its one of few things I love about Dayton and Eminence because they give you those measurements lol.

I do see the diameter is listed as 12 1/4". Apparently my measurement snapped to the wrong vertices that was 3/16ths off. My apologies. The rest of the measurements are accurate, and in my case I was mainly concerned about the depth, pole vent and magnet as I'm spec'ing out a super skinny angled wedge build so I needed to ensure the pole vent had air to breathe.

Here is one of the other builds I've got slotted at some point (after I finish the Organ Donor and 2 Sonotubes)

It will be replacing this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub jpg.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	2384980  
LTD02 likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Last edited by EndersShadow; 04-04-2018 at 05:20 PM.
post #111 of 2277 Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Dave, don't you HAVE the speakers?
I told you I move with great deliberation. Besides, a sale could happen at any time.

@Madaeel and @EndersShadow , I appreciate the additional explanation and data.

Further research has finally convinced me that using threaded rods through the 8 speaker mounting holes may just be the best solution. From all I've read I now believe that there would be a benefit from slightly compressing the paper cylinder between the two speakers to put it under tension. I just need to pick the right size interior diameter to match the outside of the speaker mounting holes so that the 8 threaded rods are actually touching the interior sides of the cylinder to act as structural elements.

Assuming the 12.25" exterior diameter and .25" distance from the edge of the flange to the center of the mounting holes is correct, when I look at a closeup image of a CX1200 it appears that the mounting holes might be .25" in diameter and the outer edge of the mounting holes .125" from the edge of the flange. If this is all correct then the OD of the array of rods running through the cylinder would be exactly 12".

If the above is all correct then one of the Quik-Tubes with an OD of 12.25" and ID of 12" would be a perfect fit. The 8 rods would be a snug fit around the inner perimeter of the tube and nuts on the threaded rods at both ends could be appropriately tightened to put just the right amount of tension on the whole unit to make it taut and robust. I'm thinking a full pack of polyfill would help contribute to the inert properties of the cardboard tube.

I've been thinking the fine details through so much I've got a headache but all of the above is making more sense to me than any other options. If anyone sees any holes in this strategy please share your thoughts.
post #112 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Buy the speakers first. Take one with you when you shop for the tube.
Take two aspirin now.

Michael

post #113 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I can just see me now walking into a Lowes with a 12" subwoofer driver in hand.

Ouch! Best Buy price on the CX1200 has gone back up to $129. The price had been in the $60s when I first looked and I just assumed the $129 was msrp and street prices would remain in the $60s. While even the $60s is double the price of the Black Friday bargain it would have been tolerable for just the two I need. The only place still advertising the CS1214 is Caraudio Closeout (caraudioco.com) which sells through places like Amazon, Newegg and Walmart. Current pricing is in the $40s. Looks like the bottom of the barrel for the CS1214 supply.
post #114 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I can just see me now walking into a Lowes with a 12" subwoofer driver in hand.
Been there, done that.

Or you can make a TEMPLATE of the drive and take that.

Michael

post #115 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@LastButNotLeast , I trust the dimensions that have been given here. But of course the speakers would be the first purchase and would allow me to take my own measurements before heading to Lowes, Home Depot or Menards to pick out the cylinder with the proper diameter from the 4 available sizes. I think all of my homework is done and I just have to justify to myself spending the money to essentially replicate the performance of my TN-1220HO that's still performing like new.

I think I'll let this stew for awhile and see if anyone else decides this recipe is worth trying. Between your "Sonotube proof of concept - no cuts! no glue!" thread and the research I've done on replicating your effort with 12" JBL drivers there's not much left to do but buy the pieces and put them together.

By the way, I found a better deal for the threaded rods. You used (4) 1/4 - 20 x 6' threaded rods ($15.88) on your project, using only 4 of the 8 mounting holes in the speaker. You would need to double that budget to $31.76 for 8 rods to use all the speaker mounting holes. Lowes has 1/4 - 20 x 10' threaded rods for just $4.47 each and you'd only need 4 to make 8 of just over 48" in length, cutting the threaded rod budget almost in half.
post #116 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I returned almost everything after the experiment, my net cost was almost nothing. I knew, at 8 inches, I wasn't going to be shaking any walls. Had I seen the deal at $30, I probably would have done this already.
Looking forward to your taking the plunge.
Michael

post #117 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have been following this thread closely. I am attempting to build a dual opposed sub using the CS1214s with a 16 inch diameter sonotube. I do move at a slow pace, but once I get going, I will post pictures.

Dave In Green! A couple of suggestions. Watch Walmart for a sale on the CS1214's. I picked up 3 in mid February for less than $33 each. My only concern is the Walmart website shows that they don't have many left. Who knows, that could certainly change.

As far as the Sonotube goes, I was not impressed with the quickcrete tubes at Lowes or Home Depot. They were pretty flimsy. Menards did actually have Sonotubes in stock. These tubes were heavier than the tubes at Lowes and Home Depot, but I would have to purchase the entire tube. I think the tube was either 12 or 16 ft long.

Try contacting a local concrete supply store. I visited a local concrete supplier here in Cincinnati, and they had endless supplies of Sonotubes in various diameters. When I told them what I was trying to build, the sales guy let me visit the warehouse and pick a "scrap" piece. I selected a 4 ft piece of 16 inch sonotube. He gave it to me for free, just asked for me to stop by and show him a picture of the finished product.

Good luck with your project!

tom
post #118 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@4anaudionut , thanks for your input. From what I've seen the CS1214 speakers currently offered by Walmart are actually from Caraudio Closeout which seems to be the source for the last few vendors advertising it for sale.

The only thing that concerns me about the heavier Sonotube is being able to get exactly the right interior diameter for the threaded rods to be able to fit against the inside edge of the tube while leaving enough of the speaker flange to rest against the end of the tube for support. I believe there's only .125" of flange outside the edge of the mounting holes available to support the speaker against the end of the tube, which is the only way to get it to work without adding end caps. But since I'm moving slowly anyway I have plenty of time to check around for local concrete supply stores. I'll just be sure to take my measuring tape and hope I find a place as helpful as you did.

Will look forward to hearing how your project works out.
post #119 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Hey guys I have a question...

I thought the difference between the 1200 and the 1214 was just 1 coil vs. 2 but then I came across this on JBL's site:

https://www.jbl.com/on/demandware.st...lish%20EU).pdf

It shows a driver with 2 magnet slugs instead of one and claims 21mm as one way xmax instead of 12mm. Anyone measure the xmax on one of these in real life and if so, which model number was it? Is the CS a different driver than the CX?
post #120 of 2277 Old 04-05-2018, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 3132
^^ Are you sure? This is a pic of the CS showing double magnets:

And here is the CX:

Looks rather similar.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page