12" JBL speaker $29 on black friday at Bestbuy - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 939Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 489
You dont even need measurements to understand the fundamental rule of this thread -- getting more drivers will almost always create a better and/or more efficient result in your room.

It does not matter really farfield, nearfield, very nearfield, array, ib, ported, sealed, horn (somewhat actually due to design), riser, or if you even know which to choose.

And remember your amp requirements go down with more drivers. I showed the math in an earlier post. So don't buy more amps, buy more drivers and use the same amp.
Chris Popovich likes this.
RoboAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
The B.O.S.S.

^^^Or buy less speakers and less power

Introducing the B.O.S.S. (Baffle Open Sub Shaker)....alright, still working on the trade name but sounds kinda catchy.

Open baffle for infinite volume and max speaker response efficiency. Less than 80 watts per driver, no DSP. Back wave mitigated by close proximity to one boundary of the room (the floor). ULF response down to 2Hz due to driver response efficiency with infinite cab. Suspended riser for max tactile on concrete using the motion of the subs as a shaker. Only downside is low SPL, but, no biggie...people like to sleep at night while I'm enjoying my music and movies with awesome ULF.

Gotta experience it to truly believe what I'm talking about....all for about $100 (3 JBL's plus $35 for 4'x8' sheet of plywood).....as Emeril likes to say....BAM!

Top of cabinet



Bottom of cabinet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5792.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	913.1 KB
ID:	2521776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5788.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2521780  
trhought is offline  
post #1473 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post

And remember your amp requirements go down with more drivers. I showed the math in an earlier post. So don't buy more amps, buy more drivers and use the same amp.
Just remember, amp requirements only go down when you wire in parallel (+6dB gain in sensitivity). There's no gain in sensitivity whenever you wire in series.

Wait till you see my high efficiency SBA design using these JBL's.....let's just say it will be another one of a kind using the above theorem plus a couple others that are only talked about in OB circles......
trhought is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1474 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Yup, always more drivers, and I think we're all in agreement that there aren't a lot of good reasons to make an existing enclosure smaller by stuffing things inside of it to act as a mechanical high pass filter, when there are much better ways to control the driver. It's a different world now where DSP is readily available.

As for me, I typically go as large as I can on the enclosure with as many drivers as I can afford/shoehorn into my space. If I run into excursion problems down low it just means I need more drivers.
aron7awol likes this.
Chris Popovich is online now  
post #1475 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I wasn't saying there isn't a size benefit to a small box. Of course there is, but that is the only benefit as far as the tradeoffs of small vs. large. I was responding to trhought's statement, "....will be much easier to make the cabinets smaller if you eventually want to DSP the low end down the road and not worry about exceeding Xmax on the JBL's.", referring to making an existing large enclosure smaller, for the sake of being able to push more power into them.
Aron7awol.....we're saying the same thing brother. Read my build thread in my signature below to see how I'm a huge believer of larger cabinets and infinite baffles....posts 10, 11, 12 and 13.

My quote above was to the OP who had already invested in ample power and DSP....way more than he needed for his large cabinet. Before that post, I recommended to the OP to not even seal the bottom of his riser because the pressures inside his large cabinet will be so small leakage won't be a concern. However, my post was too late because he had built the box, probably the same day as my post.

Afterwards, since he already built a sealed cabinet and had purchased plenty of power and DSP, my only comment was related to him experimenting with different volumes if needed since he's trying to induce tactile with a horizontal firing arrangement instead of an underneath arrangement. With an underneath arrangement, the ULF efficiency goes up exponentially as the floor beneath you moves. Clearly I'm a big fan of IB and OB cabinets placed underneath for maximum efficiency and lowest cost to deliver ULF smiles.

By the way......a big Thank you for your contributions in the BEQ thread. Been enjoying that little extra "zing" in our favorite movies with BEQ.....appreciate all you do!
aron7awol likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 03:05 PM.
trhought is offline  
post #1476 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
If I run into excursion problems down low it just means I need more drivers.
I think you mean "MOAR drivers"....
trhought is offline  
post #1477 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11950
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Afterwards, since he already built a sealed cabinet and had purchased plenty of power and DSP, my only comment was related to him experimenting with different volumes if needed since he's trying to induce tactile with a horizontal firing arrangement instead of an underneath arrangement. With an underneath arrangement, the ULF efficiency goes up exponentially as the floor beneath you moves. Clearly I'm a big fan of IB and OB cabinets placed underneath for maximum efficiency and lowest cost to deliver ULF smiles.

By the way......a big Thank you for your contributions in the BEQ thread. Been enjoying that little extra "zing" in our favorite movies with BEQ.....appreciate all you do!
All I've been saying is in his situation, I can't imagine any good reason to intentionally make the volume available to the drivers smaller. I've seen that logic thrown around before, and that's all I'm trying to say I've never understood and totally disagree with.

I also think it's important to note that your application hasn't increased SPL efficiency, and neither does a vertical alignment. In fact, the opposite in the open baffle when the front wave is cancelling the back wave. However, it's essentially a transducer, and like other transducers, it's pretty much 0 SPL but 150 perceived SPL. As a Crowson owner, I wholeheartedly agree with the importance and impact of the linear TR response afforded by transducers, as an additional "dimension", so to speak, of sound perception. So they are certainly amazing, just a separate discussion from what I was trying to initially respond to.

Of course I also agree with more drivers being better, along with more power and more volume. I just feel like my initial response has been taken way out of context (not just by you) at this point, as I was never talking about any of that.

I am really glad to hear you're a lurker in the BassEQ thread. I'd love to see you more vocal in there, more involvement is always welcomed. That's what motivates me to keep cranking them out! I love getting feedback on them!

Anyway, it's fine if we disagree on the volume thing. I'm just speaking my mind, and trying to be respectful while I do so, so hopefully it comes across that way.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #1478 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Maybe not quite what was meant here, but this is the one post that got me sold on more cheaper driver in small sealed boxes, ie 8 vs 4 drivers:

Let’s face it: power is cheap, a NU6K is perfect for running these, and doubling up on drivers and these amp will get serious fast. And cheap
Well, he held total volume constant (8cf) and then compared 4 vs 8 drivers and gave the 8 drivers ~4x as much power as he gave the 4 drivers. Of course the 8 drivers with 4x the power won!

Yeah, different from what I was trying to talk about earlier, but it's all good. Just trying to have a nice discussion on enclosure design

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #1479 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
All I've been saying is in his situation, I can't imagine any good reason to intentionally make the volume available to the drivers smaller. I've seen that logic thrown around before, and that's all I'm trying to say I've never understood and totally disagree with.

I also think it's important to note that your application hasn't increased SPL efficiency, and neither does a vertical alignment. In fact, the opposite in the open baffle when the front wave is cancelling the back wave. However, it's essentially a transducer, and like other transducers, it's pretty much 0 SPL but 150 perceived SPL. As a Crowson owner, I wholeheartedly agree with the importance and impact of the linear TR response afforded by transducers, as an additional "dimension", so to speak, of sound perception. So they are certainly amazing, just a separate discussion from what I was trying to initially respond to.

Of course I also agree with more drivers being better, along with more power and more volume. I just feel like my initial response has been taken way out of context (not just by you) at this point, as I was never talking about any of that.

I am really glad to hear you're a lurker in the BassEQ thread. I'd love to see you more vocal in there, more involvement is always welcomed. That's what motivates me to keep cranking them out! I love getting feedback on them!

Anyway, it's fine if we disagree on the volume thing. I'm just speaking my mind, and trying to be respectful while I do so, so hopefully it comes across that way.
Haha.....yeah, it's funny how things can be perceived when reading these posts....I guess it all depends on one's mood at the time and what fleeting thoughts are going through our brains at the time.

Agreed on the SPL comments with my OB....I even stated that as a downside with my configuration in post 1472 above (The B.O.S.S.) post....lol.

The vertical efficiency comment was related to ULF sensitivity and not SPL.....at least to me, using the VibSensor, 1g of vertical force (z-axis) is much more impactful and "real" than 1g of horizontal force (x or y-axis). Maybe it's just me, but I like that feeling of floating during the music and movies. I don't get that feeling with horizontal arrangements.

Your proliferation of BEQ's is most impressive....I only wish I had access to half that many movies, let alone the time to watch them....lol!

Maybe it was mentioned in the BEQ thread already, but a demo disc remuxed with BEQ would be awesome....I can mention it in BEQ thread if it hasn't been mentioned yet in the ~4500 posts. With all the horsepower in that thread, maybe someone will do it.

Awesome work!

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.
trhought is offline  
post #1480 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11950
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Haha.....yeah, it's funny how things can be perceived when reading these posts....I guess it all depends on one's mood at the time and what fleeting thoughts are going through our brains at the time.

Agreed on the SPL comments with my OB....I even stated that as a downside with my configuration in post 1472 above (The B.O.S.S.) post....lol.

Your proliferation of BEQ's is most impressive....I only wish I had access to half that many movies, let alone the time to watch them....lol!

Maybe it was mentioned in the BEQ thread already, but a demo disc remuxed with BEQ would be awesome....I can mention it in BEQ thread if it hasn't been mentioned yet in the ~4500 posts. With all the horsepower in that thread, maybe someone will do it.

Awesome work!
I don't even consider your lack of SPL a downside Your application is pure tactile response, and it's great at that!


I'm working on it by slowly compiling remuxed demos as I go. There's a link in my post to the ones I've done so far.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #1481 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I don't even consider your lack of SPL a downside Your application is pure tactile response, and it's great at that!


I'm working on it by slowly compiling remuxed demos as I go. There's a link in my post to the ones I've done so far.
The demo disc is going to be awesome. I have your remuxed snips and serve them up through my plex server whenever we have guests over and I don't want to fiddle around with loading BEQ's every 5 minutes. They are incredible....much, much appreciated!

Curious your thoughts. The vertical efficiency comment I made earlier was related to ULF sensitivity and not SPL.....at least to me, using the VibSensor, 1g of vertical force (z-axis) is much more impactful and "real" than 1g of horizontal force (x or y-axis). Maybe it's just me, but I like that feeling of floating during the music and movies. I don't get that feeling with horizontal arrangements I've tried.

Has that been your experience?

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 05:07 PM.
trhought is offline  
post #1482 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11950
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Curious your thoughts. The vertical efficiency comment I made earlier was related to ULF sensitivity and not SPL.....at least to me, using the VibSensor, 1g of vertical force (z-axis) is much more impactful and "real" than 1g of horizontal force (x or y-axis). Maybe it's just me, but I like that feeling of floating during the music and movies. I don't get that feeling with horizontal arrangements I've tried.

Has that been your experience?
I think you are referring to the TR efficiency of your setup, and I agree with that.

Since your riser is much more rigid horizontally than vertically, that vertical feels more impactful than horizontal does make sense to me. I think it would be really difficult to get your seat moving horizontally an equal amount to what it's moving vertically, to be able to directly compare the two dimensions. In my case, my Crowson MAs go under the seat and actually move the seat up and down, so it's also a vertical movement, and the effect is definitely incredible. My guess would be that the TR they produce is more linear than your setup just because they aren't subject to the resonance of your riser. This isn't to say yours isn't amazing, I'm sure it is, just trying to point out that there is likely a particular passband that your riser will transfer movement really well within compared to frequencies outside of it. Still, for the price, it's hard to beat.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #1483 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,189
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I think im sold on the BOSS, my only concern would be if things start shaking too high in frequency. When do you feel it kick in?
SteveCallas is offline  
post #1484 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I think you are referring to the TR efficiency of your setup, and I agree with that.

Since your riser is much more rigid horizontally than vertically, that vertical feels more impactful than horizontal does make sense to me. I think it would be really difficult to get your seat moving horizontally an equal amount to what it's moving vertically, to be able to directly compare the two dimensions. In my case, my Crowson MAs go under the seat and actually move the seat up and down, so it's also a vertical movement, and the effect is definitely incredible. My guess would be that the TR they produce is more linear than your setup just because they aren't subject to the resonance of your riser. This isn't to say yours isn't amazing, I'm sure it is, just trying to point out that there is likely a particular passband that your riser will transfer movement really well within compared to frequencies outside of it. Still, for the price, it's hard to beat.
Aron7awol....Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That all makes sense. Really enjoying the new ULF in our theater. Watched two bass heavyweight titles in our theater this weekend.....Hunter Killer and The Meg. We were smiling ear-to-ear during the entirety of both movies. For other bass junkies on this thread, both movies are highly recommended...awesome ULF from beginning to end.
trhought is offline  
post #1485 of 2557 Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I think im sold on the BOSS, my only concern would be if things start shaking too high in frequency. When do you feel it kick in?
Lol....the BOSS. I have the LPF set at 80 Hz with a LR 12 dB / octave filter. The TR starts around 3 Hz with authority and responds quite linearly up to about 30 Hz. With a reference MV setting, my teeth are chattering between about 11-25Hz. At that point the LR filter starts to kick in and tame responses gently rolling off the response above 40 Hz for a quite natural experience.

I tried other LPF's up to 120 Hz in 10 Hz increments but the feeling starts to get "gimmicky" above a 90 Hz LPF.
trhought is offline  
post #1486 of 2557 Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Uther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since there are a lot of knowledgeable people contributing to this thread and I don't want to pollute it, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the questions I pose for my specification application and chime in with any thoughts, answers, or advice:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...plication.html

Thanks!
Uther is offline  
post #1487 of 2557 Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sirjaymz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston<>Anchorage
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Received the final 4 subs from a fellow AVS'er. Got them installed already. EQ'ing them now.. nearfield is awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 07, 14 22 28.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	964.5 KB
ID:	2522286  
Pradeep2 likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
sirjaymz is online now  
post #1488 of 2557 Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CZ Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 7,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Four of the CS1214 in 3.5 cuft. tuned to 16hz or two of the VBSS tuned to 16hz?

Would be for behind my couch and the only subs in the room.
Home theater!

I'm leaning towards four of the CS1214.
Will all be powered by the Beheringer iNuke 1000W DSP amp.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
CZ Eddie is offline  
post #1489 of 2557 Old 02-14-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Four of the CS1214 in 3.5 cuft. tuned to 16hz or two of the VBSS tuned to 16hz?

Would be for behind my couch and the only subs in the room.
Home theater!

I'm leaning towards four of the CS1214.
Will all be powered by the Beheringer iNuke 1000W DSP amp.
4 JBLs in 3.5cf EACH (14cf TOTAL) or 4 JBLs in 3.5cf COMBINED?

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
EndersShadow is online now  
post #1490 of 2557 Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CZ Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 7,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
4 JBLs in 3.5cf EACH (14cf TOTAL) or 4 JBLs in 3.5cf COMBINED?
3.5 each
I can go up to 24 cu3 total.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
CZ Eddie is offline  
post #1491 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
3.5 each
I can go up to 24 cu3 total.
Will post these graphs later (I'm at work and its too much a PITA).

Suggest different option.

Use all 24CF for 4 CS1214's . Box tuned to 18hz w 2nd order highpass @ 17hz. Significantly better (than either other two options) over the entire spectrum. Only requires 600 watts TOTAL.

~118 db @ 30hz and up
114 db @ 17hz this is the ~3db point
106 db @ 14hz - this is where the 4 JBLS in 14cf catch up
90 db @ 10hz - this is where the dual VBSS in 14cf catch up

Lots of space for a small amount of small drivers.... but.... looks nice on WinISD, and the drivers are cheap (and so is the wood comparatively) lol....
CZ Eddie likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Last edited by EndersShadow; 02-15-2019 at 07:29 AM.
EndersShadow is online now  
post #1492 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
^^^Or buy less speakers and less power

Introducing the B.O.S.S. (Baffle Open Sub Shaker)....alright, still working on the trade name but sounds kinda catchy.

Open baffle for infinite volume and max speaker response efficiency. Less than 80 watts per driver, no DSP. Back wave mitigated by close proximity to one boundary of the room (the floor). ULF response down to 2Hz due to driver response efficiency with infinite cab. Suspended riser for max tactile on concrete using the motion of the subs as a shaker. Only downside is low SPL, but, no biggie...people like to sleep at night while I'm enjoying my music and movies with awesome ULF.

Gotta experience it to truly believe what I'm talking about....all for about $100 (3 JBL's plus $35 for 4'x8' sheet of plywood).....as Emeril likes to say....BAM!
I really like this project.
I live in an apartment (concrete slab) and to get any sort of TR I have to turn the vol. up to uncivilized levels.
Not that that fact is keeping from looking at how I could clone @Nalleh ‘s setup with the most WAF possible (hint: world’s loudest cat tree)...

How would this compare to BKs, Crowsons and their less-expensive cousins (ADX, Aura, etc)?
amcd is offline  
post #1493 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcd View Post
I really like this project.
I live in an apartment (concrete slab) and to get any sort of TR I have to turn the vol. up to uncivilized levels.
Not that that fact is keeping from looking at how I could clone @Nalleh ‘s setup with the most WAF possible (hint: world’s loudest cat tree)...

How would this compare to BKs, Crowsons and their less-expensive cousins (ADX, Aura, etc)?
amcd....Thanks....the BOSS is truly an inexpensive entry into TR....especially on concrete and especially when you don't want to disturb anyone late night and still get great TR.

I've only experienced butt kickers in home theaters and also at AMC Prime theaters. Let me just say, those don't compare at all to the BOSS. The BOSS hits with much more authority and down into single digits all while making you feel like you're floating on air. Never experienced Crowsons or other linear actuators but reading on AVS, it sounds like the experience with linear actuators delivers a similar experience, especially with more Crowsons per seat....think one Crowson under one leg of the chair with the Crowson isolators under the other 3 legs...kind of like a tilting motion. Then add another crowson under a second leg and the tilting motion is less, then add another Crowson and the motion starts to get more linear in an up and down motion. The BOSS is all up and down motion on a stiff 3/4" plywood platform and for every seat on it. Hope this helps.
trhought is offline  
post #1494 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CZ Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 7,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Will post these graphs later (I'm at work and its too much a PITA).

Suggest different option.

Use all 24CF for 4 CS1214's . Box tuned to 18hz w 2nd order highpass @ 17hz. Significantly better (than either other two options) over the entire spectrum. Only requires 600 watts TOTAL.

~118 db @ 30hz and up
114 db @ 17hz this is the ~3db point
106 db @ 14hz - this is where the 4 JBLS in 14cf catch up
90 db @ 10hz - this is where the dual VBSS in 14cf catch up

Lots of space for a small amount of small drivers.... but.... looks nice on WinISD, and the drivers are cheap (and so is the wood comparatively) lol....
That sounds like fun.

Since I'm nearfield though, I think this will affect my tuning and filter.
As I won't be looking for boundry gain with the enclosure facing up against my back.
With it being a behind the couch sub. I can't remember what pi that would be?

I'll probably start a new thread for assistance with port tuning and crossover stuff.
After I've made my decision.
But right now, the JBL is clearly the winner for my needs. Thank you

I briefly considered six JBL's but with the Inuke 1000, I don't think it would be worthwhile.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
CZ Eddie is offline  
post #1495 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,013
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Actually, it appears 9 is the "magic number:"
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post57518464
Ends up 4 ohms to amp.
Michael
CZ Eddie likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1496 of 2557 Old 02-15-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CZ Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin TX, USA
Posts: 7,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Actually, it appears 9 is the "magic number:"
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post57518464
Ends up 4 ohms to amp.
Michael
hah, I'm sure that's an iNuke 3000W amp specialty.
My budget won't allow for that for a while longer.
Good to know though!!

I should make this enclosure with a removable baffle so I can mod it down the road.
24 Cu.Ft. will be an amazing enclosure for many applications.
I'll start with paint-only.
Then somewhere down the road when I have more money, I'll be applying cabinet doors and some very nice veneer.
To make it look like a proper piece of furniture.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
CZ Eddie is offline  
post #1497 of 2557 Old 02-16-2019, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,013
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Refurbs available for $35:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/CS1214-Z...SABEgLHrvD_BwE
Michael
trhought likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1498 of 2557 Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
BOSS update

After several PM's about the BOSS, I just updated my build thread in my signature below to include additional details about construction and configuration of the pieces and parts that make up the BOSS for anyone interested.
Nalleh likes this.
trhought is offline  
post #1499 of 2557 Old 02-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
springs113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm thinking of making a build with these subs...should I go with 2 or 4?
They will complement a set of UM18-22.
springs113 is offline  
post #1500 of 2557 Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,013
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
What kind of build? What do you aim to accomplish? Nearfield? Riser?
Space or WAF limitations?


I need to get rid of some stuff first, but I'm seriously considering 9 CS-1214 refurbs in three of these:
http://www.qpowerinc.com/details.aspx?product_id=20113


So, you see, a little more information would be helpful.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off