12" JBL speaker $29 on black friday at Bestbuy - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1060Likes

post #2911 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
Into the Oban 14, great whiskey, was given a bottle by a friend at work and picked up a couple more after the first taste. Recommended if that's your thing, and still recommended if it's not.

Hope all you wondrous SOB's had a good thanksgiving and picked up some more JBL's. I picked up a few more, nothing big, just enough to round out my planned boxes. I have 36 new in boxes waiting to be used with my new enclosures (should be here end of next week?) 12 behind couch, 4 in computer room, 2 in garage. I'm pretty excited about the test enclosure coming, for those that are new to the game or missed it (or don't care), it's a simple dual opposed quad sealed (pic attached). Dimensions end up being very close to a standard 2 drawer file cabinet. My bud (who let me use his supplier) ordered a bunch of hardware for his aftermarket automotive performance store same time I get my sample, so I won't have a great idea on how much shipping was, I'll have to talk to him and see what he says, but hopefully all will go well with the build and before I place my order for at least 10 of the mofos for personal use, I'll have a rough price and photos of what came my way. Not ideal for extreme nearfield, they'll do (probably) but be subdued compared to having naked (ooooh) woofers firing directly at the back of the couch. I plan on 10 or so for initial order for myself. Have a couple close friends that want a few for themselves too, maybe I can negotiate the price down a bit if I go 30-40 cabinets.... we'll see. First one has to be good before we get too excited.

Chris, may I ask what the radiused flushmount cutout is for?

Looks cool without the drivers, but with drivers wouldn’t that strike a bit odd?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
All other parameters were the same.
That's the part people are overlooking. Now "boost the snot" (sorry, Chris, but you started it) out of the sealed boxes (which is what we're all doing) and you're all smiles, WinISD be damned.
Michael
post #2913 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
@jcmccorm
How are you powering each of your JBL boxes? How much power do they actually end up using normally and during peak action scenes? I just purchased 20 of these and was planning on doing 5 boxes of 4. One odd question I have is if you were to put your head about 2 feet from the speaker how much wind are you getting? I am hesitant to build a vertical box that might put the speakers above my couch and directly at my ear level.
Hi Cotton1. I've got two NU6000D's, both using a subwoofer output (there are two) from the AVR as inputs. I have the AVR setup to drive the subwoofer outputs the same but I can set the delay for them independently. One of the 6000D's powers the 8 JBLs up front (one output channel for 4each of the JBLs). The other NU6000D powers the UM18's (one output channel for each) My plans are to substitute each UM18 for 9 of the JBLs (so 18 total behind the seating).

I'm working on measuring power actually but don't yet have a number. I have one dedicated 20A circuit driving everything; JBLs, UM18's, TV, main and surround speakers, various doodads (network, Raspberry Pi, etc.) and I've demo'd movie scenes louder than I'd ever listen to them with gobs of bass. I've never had the circuit breaker trip.

I wouldn't worry about the wind. I've had the JBLs behind me and the UM18's up front. Now I have the JBLs up front and the UM18's behind. In each case, I've put my head or hands near the JBLs and not felt any wind. Chest slam, but no wind. My experience is that these things really aren't moving much even when things get going. The sheer numbers of them mean that you don't need high cone excursion on each one to achieve high SPL.

With either the UM18's or JBLs behind me and dialed in (delay and level matched with everything else), I *do* notice and feel that some of the bass is coming from behind me and I feel it in my back. It's not unpleasant or "gimicky" feeling when it's set up right. With some of the drivers at head level, you may end up turning down the levels for those towers. (Don't know if that's true, but I think you're right to be concerned). Depending on the placement and symmetry of your setup, it's possible to drive the lower cones and upper cones in the same tower with different signals (if those cones are sealed off from each other) allowing you to set the gain independently. I'm not sure I'd sweat it though at first and just try it out and see how it works first. If you're two feet away as you mentioned, it'll probably be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Optimal Box(s) Config for 4 JBL 12's

I am setting up a secondary Movie/Gaming room for my house. I recently bought 4 of these JBL 12's and am thinking this would be great for this area. I will drive these with 2 channels from a Sinbosen FP10000, so power won't be a problem. This room is a set up like a typical movie room, and is 11x13. I suspect there will be minimal music, and this will be primarily movies/video games. This thread is a bit overwhelming and I have read through most of it, but since I know this community is full of very wise audio engineers I thought I would ask what would be the optimal set up for these 4 JBL 12's?

Thanks
post #2915 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Keep the 18s (somewhere/anywhere) and put the JBLs in a BOSS.
Michael
I do love the 18's. I'll have to decide whether I want them up front or not vs the JBLs. It's not an SPL issue; I'm wondering if the JBLs are more efficient having more coils driving less cone excursion and therefore providing more "punch". Previous comparisons were inconclusive.

BOSS. I've got the pads and a low-power amp for them. Obviously I have the drivers I love the idea of it and feedback here from guys who've done it has certainly been positive. What's holding me back is the chairs; I'll need to build the platform up a bit to provide clearance underneath for the drivers. It's not difficult and it's been done before, I'm just not sure how I'll feel stepping up 2" to sit down.
post #2916 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Raspberry Pi, etc.
Exciting stuff is coming to the Viberry thread. Stay tuned.
Quote:
I'm just not sure how I'll feel stepping up 2" to sit down.
Once you've had the experience, you won't mind stepping up 2" even slightly.
Michael
post #2917 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Chris, may I ask what the radiused flushmount cutout is for?

Looks cool without the drivers, but with drivers wouldn’t that strike a bit odd?
Appearance.

Remember whole box is 20mm material, so front is 40mm thick. A 12mm radius rounding will smoothly transition to driver face (i.e. driver is recessed slightly vs. flush mounted).
post #2918 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:
I do love the 18's. I'll have to decide whether I want them up front or not vs the JBLs. It's not an SPL issue; I'm wondering if the JBLs are more efficient having more coils driving less cone excursion and therefore providing more "punch". Previous comparisons were inconclusive.

BOSS. I've got the pads and a low-power amp for them. Obviously I have the drivers I love the idea of it and feedback here from guys who've done it has certainly been positive. What's holding me back is the chairs; I'll need to build the platform up a bit to provide clearance underneath for the drivers. It's not difficult and it's been done before, I'm just not sure how I'll feel stepping up 2" to sit down.
Just do it. You won't regret it. I was a little hesitant at first too to raise my couch up the couple inches needed for the mini-riser but all doubt was gone after the first demo clip. I don't even notice it now. I'm about to do a new version of mine and I'm going to raise it up about another inch over what I already have for the new design.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2919 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exciting stuff is coming to the Viberry thread. Stay tuned.

Once you've had the experience, you won't mind stepping up 2" even slightly.
Michael
What's the Viberry thread? I've just been running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi for a few years. I play music and movies off the NAS. I'm all about the Pi though so interested in this. I guess vibration measurement? (just a wild guess)
post #2920 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:
What's the Viberry thread? I've just been running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi for a few years. I play music and movies off the NAS. I'm all about the Pi though so interested in this. I guess vibration measurement? (just a wild guess)
Viberry is a RPi, sensor, and software combo for measuring TR in your setup. Here's the thread on it:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...r-viberry.html

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2921 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 02:28 PM

The latest iteration of which has all the software you need in one download (which now works ).
Please join us.
Michael
post #2922 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
"boost the snot" (sorry, Chris, but you started it) out of the sealed boxes (which is what we're all doing) and you're all smiles, WinISD be damned.
Michael
What exactly do you mean by boosting it? How do I do that?
post #2923 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hi Cotton1. I've got two NU6000D's, both using a subwoofer output (there are two) from the AVR as inputs. I have the AVR setup to drive the subwoofer outputs the same but I can set the delay for them independently. One of the 6000D's powers the 8 JBLs up front (one output channel for 4each of the JBLs). The other NU6000D powers the UM18's (one output channel for each) My plans are to substitute each UM18 for 9 of the JBLs (so 18 total behind the seating).
Is how you are powering them overkill? I will have 5 boxes of 4 so I am trying to figure out the best way to power them.
post #2924 of 2955 Old 12-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by boosting it? How do I do that?
One of many ways:
post #2925 of 2955 Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I ended up ordering 4. One for a jukebox project, one of the game room, and two for the garage.
post #2926 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 AM

And back to $130.
For now.
post #2927 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone in this thread designed a box for this sub based off of it's exact specs? Either sealed or ported? I picked up one of the Dayton 250w plate amps for black Friday to pair up with this thing, now I need a box. I thought I'd ask before diving into a rabbit hole of tutorials for WinISD. I'll be adding this to the ELAC's in my home office for music only. The flatpack posted a couple pages back is pretty tempting but thought I'd see if we can optimize this cheaper sub for all it's got.
post #2928 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarkatx View Post
Has anyone in this thread designed a box for this sub based off of it's exact specs? Either sealed or ported? I picked up one of the Dayton 250w plate amps for black Friday to pair up with this thing, now I need a box. I thought I'd ask before diving into a rabbit hole of tutorials for WinISD. I'll be adding this to the ELAC's in my home office for music only. The flatpack posted a couple pages back is pretty tempting but thought I'd see if we can optimize this cheaper sub for all it's got.
To optimize these JBL's ported you need a big box. I've used them in about 6.25 (VBSS), 4 and 3.5 cft ported tuned to 20 hz. The frequency response flattens out the larger you go but sounds pretty good in 3.5 to 4 cft to my ears. Sealed you would need some dsp to boost the low end.
post #2929 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Has anyone in this thread designed a box for this sub based off of it's exact specs?
You are aware this is designed for a CAR? That's what the "exact specs" are for. I did a magic square with 9 of them with great results. That said, I'm about to experiment with four JBLs and two passive radiators. Lots of them sealed and boosted is typical, easy and relatively cheap. Ported is fine but is more demanding (or design skill and available space). They're a major part of the BOSS design because they are very capable and cheap. And they were certainly not designed for THAT!
What are your needs?
Michael
post #2930 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM

I just got the new DATS v3, and I'm giving my two custom made triple 12 enclosures away to a buddy who wants a garage system. Hence, I'll be pulling out my well-broken-in JBL's and can easily measure ts specs. Understand, though, that these will have included the 6" poly dust cap (does add some mass). I didn't really care about garage sub appearance but wanted to test out the durability of the adhesive I was using and practice on centering them. Went well. I'll be doing that this weekend, can measure and post legit broken in ts specs if anyone wants.

Chris
DesertDog and jcr159 like this.
post #2931 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
I just got the new DATS v3, and I'm giving my two custom made triple 12 enclosures away to a buddy who wants a garage system. Hence, I'll be pulling out my well-broken-in JBL's and can easily measure ts specs. Understand, though, that these will have included the 6" poly dust cap (does add some mass). I didn't really care about garage sub appearance but wanted to test out the durability of the adhesive I was using and practice on centering them. Went well. I'll be doing that this weekend, can measure and post legit broken in ts specs if anyone wants.

Chris
Measurements are always good! Love to see how they look after a lot of use

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #2932 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
You are aware this is designed for a CAR? That's what the "exact specs" are for. I did a magic square with 9 of them with great results. That said, I'm about to experiment with four JBLs and two passive radiators. Lots of them sealed and boosted is typical, easy and relatively cheap. Ported is fine but is more demanding (or design skill and available space). They're a major part of the BOSS design because they are very capable and cheap. And they were certainly not designed for THAT!
What are your needs?
Michael
Hah I do realize that but I'm a total noob with diy audio. I assumed one or two of them would be enjoyable in the office or the garage though where they're not being pushed super hard (With the right enclosure). I bought four of them though, worst case I keep one for my gf's car and return the rest for a more appropriate driver for the office. Or maybe I could fit three under the couch without a platform? I hadn't really planned on doing a BOSS but these are so cheap it begs for a project.

So are you saying if I design a box and put it in my office I'm going to be disappointed? I just need some added bass to my office 2.0 system for hiphop and occasional down tempo/edm/death metal double bass haha.
post #2933 of 2955 Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Some disagree with me, but it's ridiculous to do so (haha!); these suckers are going to need eq to sound awesome. Toss them in 1.25+ sealed enclosures and start getting happy with eq and a calibrated mic. By themselves they will be loud as F around 60hz or so, and a bitter, marriage-ending disappointment below that. With some boost via our old friend EQ, all is right with the world, your children will grow up to be successful, you'll live long healthy lives, and the IRS will issue you a refund at least 50% larger than last year.
post #2934 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Ok Team,

After a lot more reading and contemplation on this subject, I want to throw another option out there for what i'm thinking for some feedback. This is similar to what a lot of folks are doing with duel (Or quad) sealed JBL's powered off an iNuke/NX amp.

Here's my thought for my small office.

1x - NX3000D
2x - 1.5f cu ft sealed Separate enclosures (Later possibly expand to 4 separate singles) placed on opposing walls, and possibly later on all four walls/corners of the room if needed. Amazon link to box

Add some polyfill, wire it up, and adjust the EQ to boost the 20hz range (This is what I understand is being done from reading). And call her good. No need to build anything unless I want nicer enclosures or want to go ported. I can test this concept out for pretty cheap, and have a NX3000D to expand with if I want more later on.

I already own an NX6000D that's going into my HT with two UM18's in Full Marty's. Those parts are just sitting waiting for me to get spare time to work on it, so a more plug and play setup sounds appealing as my time is limited. I had thought I wanted to use a plate amp for simplicity of having one of these subs be more portable, but decided it was ultimately not worth the limitation if one sub wasn't enough, plus the added work of building a box with a cutout for the plate amp.

So what do you guys think, can I start with powering only two of these 12's on a NX3000D? I don't know how I'm going to wire that. I've read the NX1000D just doesn't have enough power for sealed subs to be EQ'd down low like that. I like the idea of having single 12's in each corner for even
coverage to start with. Again, my room is 10x10x11 with two open doorways into the rest of the house floor plan.

EDIT: Also, I have a Dayton Omnimic and REW to play with this along with the built in DSP in the amp. Given, I'm a total noob and will be learning all the way.

Last edited by jstarkatx; 12-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #2935 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 270
You might as well start with four since they can be wired to a 4 ohm load which the Inuke likes. One channel of the Inuke will power them nicely. That should hold until you upgrade to 9 of them when they go on sale again. Ask me how I know...

Judging by your other subwoofers you may be better off placing these JBLs in a BOSS platform. The BOSS adds a level of tactile response that is just great for movies.
post #2936 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Here's my thought for my small office.

Is this for a single computer chair? If so, you might be better off co-locating them in the same spot based on the best response for the one chair. Placing on opposite walls is great in a theater for smoothing out the response to all seats, but for your one chair you could get a few extra dB if they are in the same spot instead.
post #2937 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Add some polyfill, wire it up, and adjust the EQ to boost the 20hz range.
One Walmart Deep Pockets pillow per box.
You won't get down to 20Hz with one or two.
Got a budget we can work with?
I'd suggest a triple box
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgJJg_D_BwE
two JBLs and a SLAPS M-12
https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...86&sr=8-1&th=1
If you can wait, I have two SLAPS coming (word to the wise: as Amazon is running out, they're getting more expensive) and plan to experiment with comparing my 3x3 to a 2x2+2. Should be interesting.
Michael
post #2938 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
You might as well start with four since they can be wired to a 4 ohm load which the Inuke likes. One channel of the Inuke will power them nicely. That should hold until you upgrade to 9 of them when they go on sale again. Ask me how I know...

Judging by your other subwoofers you may be better off placing these JBLs in a BOSS platform. The BOSS adds a level of tactile response that is just great for movies.
This will be going into my small office.... But I suppose I could just go all in on four to start. It does sound like wiring them up would be a simpler task among other benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJones View Post
Is this for a single computer chair? If so, you might be better off co-locating them in the same spot based on the best response for the one chair. Placing on opposite walls is great in a theater for smoothing out the response to all seats, but for your one chair you could get a few extra dB if they are in the same spot instead.
Correct. I didn't realize this was the case, so maybe I could rethink this strategy then.

Quote:
One Walmart Deep Pockets pillow per box.
You won't get down to 20Hz with one or two.
Got a budget we can work with?
I'd suggest a triple box
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgJJg_D_BwE
two JBLs and a SLAPS M-12
https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...86&sr=8-1&th=1
If you can wait, I have two SLAPS coming (word to the wise: as Amazon is running out, they're getting more expensive) and plan to experiment with comparing my 3x3 to a 2x2+2. Should be interesting.
Michael
Well if I can't hit 20hz with two I guess i'm going to have to use all four (What a tragedy ).

Budget isn't too much of a concern since I already have the four JBL's, and I'm factoring in the cost of another Behringer already. If we're talking about the difference in cost between different pre-built enclosures or adding a passive radiator I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Can you tell me a little more about what you expect to get out of the SLAPS? Space is the only issue now that we're talking four of them in the room. I could probably hide a couple of them if they were singles. Probably fine with two duel cabs as well. But if we're talking about a quad cab, or two triple cabs. Space is starting to get a little tight in here. I'm curious if the additional of the radiator is worth the trade of in cost and space. Two duel cabs sounds like the most reasonable option.
post #2939 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
This will be going into my small office.... But I suppose I could just go all in on four to start. It does sound like wiring them up would be a simpler task among other benefits.

Correct. I didn't realize this was the case, so maybe I could rethink this strategy then.

Well if I can't hit 20hz with two I guess i'm going to have to use all four (What a tragedy ).

Budget isn't too much of a concern since I already have the four JBL's, and I'm factoring in the cost of another Behringer already. If we're talking about the difference in cost between different pre-built enclosures or adding a passive radiator I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Can you tell me a little more about what you expect to get out of the SLAPS? Space is the only issue now that we're talking four of them in the room. I could probably hide a couple of them if they were singles. Probably fine with two duel cabs as well. But if we're talking about a quad cab, or two triple cabs. Space is starting to get a little tight in here. I'm curious if the additional of the radiator is worth the trade of in cost and space. Two duel cabs sounds like the most reasonable option.
Where are you located? I have two dual enclosure boxes I don't need anymore now that I upgraded to the 3X3s. I'll make you a good deal!
post #2940 of 2955 Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Where are you located? I have two dual enclosure boxes I don't need anymore now that I upgraded to the 3X3s. I'll make you a good deal!
Ahh man I'm in Austin. Did you feel the upgrade to 3x3 was worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page