Pioneer TS-M800PRO's for full-range surrounds? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pioneer TS-M800PRO's for full-range surrounds?

I am nearing a point where I will be remodeling my basement theater to provide actual sound attenuation. My current LCR and surrounds will not work for the new design: I have Polk Monitor 70 II's for fronts, and I love them, but they won't fit behind my new screen so I'll be trying to replace them with similar performing DIY monitors. I also have 4 SI HT-15's subs that my brother gave to me, and I love them as well. It's my surrounds that have always been the weak link - 4" JBL control monitors I bought like 20+ years ago.

I don't really have a big budget for surrounds, especially since I also plan on adding 4 additional speakers for Atmos and DTS:X. I have considered Overnight Sensations, but my fear is that they really won't bring the full range of sound I'm looking for, and the enclosure is a little deeper than I want.

As a newb, I know my best bet is to stick with "tried and true", but I'm looking for something a little more adventurous. So I came across these Pioneer TS-M800PRO full range car speakers. I love the unique look they'd bring to the table, and maybe pairing them with the same PRO series 12" sub from pioneer would make for great matching LCR's...but with no T/S parameters, I wouldn't have the foggiest if they could even come close to what I'm looking for. Do any of you gurus know how to find this info out? Or have some suggestions for me?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
without info wrt the room . . it depends

many are ok without full range surrounds as that could lead to bass localization , hot spotting, other EQ issues

you seem to have woofage that works so more from the surrounds - meh!

even when my DIYSG F4Q4's were surrounds and XT32 put the xo @40, I bumped it up to 80, just about like everything and everybody else

you have a budget already, mol, but modeling when there are already so many other proven designs, your call,

and on Amazon, the title calls them mid-bass.

not to say they couldn't be better if modeled for HT

but why don't you track down the T/S specs and get the ball rolling . .

which REQ do you have?

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
without info wrt the room . . it depends

many are ok without full range surrounds as that could lead to bass localization , hot spotting, other EQ issues

you seem to have woofage that works so more from the surrounds - meh!

even when my DIYSG F4Q4's were surrounds and XT32 put the xo @40, I bumped it up to 80, just about like everything and everybody else

you have a budget already, mol, but modeling when there are already so many other proven designs, your call,

and on Amazon, the title calls them mid-bass.

not to say they couldn't be better if modeled for HT

but why don't you track down the T/S specs and get the ball rolling . .

which REQ do you have?
My room is about 14 ft wide 18 ft deep and 8 foot high. I don't want full range surrounds to add to bass or anything, just so that I can set them to full range and not blow them out. The speakers only go down to 50 hertz so it's not like I was looking for LFE or anything, just something that could take a beating from the occasional bass note in a surround Channel.

Of course I have tried to track down the parameters for myself but I couldn't find them anywhere, I've even tried to contact Pioneer but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

That's why I'm asking here I thought maybe one of the gurus would know how to track them down or think of something I haven't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1091

if 1 row of seating, given the narrow room, mine is only 14.5',

for not much more than the speakers and headache of buying wood etc. and then building the boxes

Volt6LX, probably getting an EQ setting of 100 or so,

it depends

and not likely to have to many bass notes in the SS

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page