1Likes
  • 1 Post By asarose247

post #1 of 11 Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
DIYSG: Fusion vs HTM

I tried searching on this topic, but didn't really find much conversation on the subject.

A buddy came over and I demoed my 1299 LCR with Concentric 8 surround setup, so now he wants big speakers too! We got to talking about budget and the fact I like to make sawdust and I think we're going to build a setup for him. I was thinking Fusion until I saw the HTM lineup. So I'm a little torn on what to build.

So the question is what's the gain when moving from HTM to Fusion? Looks like the CD xover is about 1k lower on the Fusion and the woofer digs a little deeper. (I was comparing HTM12 to Fusion12, Fusion 15 is on the table too) Then there's the consideration of driver quality between the kits and their impact on SQ.

DNA325 vs DNA360 (I can't find any info on the 325 so what's the difference on these? Are they fairly interchangeable?)
DeltaLite vs DeltaPro

Thoughts?

This would likely be paired with either Volt6/8 surrounds and a single ported SI HST18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-25-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1103

i built my 88 first and then the f15's cause I liked the look of the 15" SEOS horns aligned horizontally and vertically and at the time it all fit just under the then 80" TV.

The HTM line was still in the works but as announced the design theory was the consistency of voicing for the entire line, for those to whom this could be a factor.

a higher or lower xo is a matter of the electronics and is applied science - if anything it is the room / lack of treatments that's going to screw things up

my F15's are "small" per the AVR and the xo is 80 hz.

for the HTM12's, no doubt, the xo will be in that range, the 15" horns are going to command attention if not behind the screen

maybe Erich can discern the difference between the CD's but after processing thru the crossover, it's close to a moot point, IM no-nothing O.

the F15's are slightly more sensitive per the DIYSG notes

if anything, matching LCR for HTM 12's and the money not spent on a triplet of F15's could be used for a second (and generally recognized as needed (mandatory) sub.

waiting to see what you do - - and of course , the pics .

Happy Sawdust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 x 15 SEOS F0775.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	2320958   Click image for larger version

Name:	82 in place.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2320960  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 11 Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That thread is also pretty much dead. In general I feel that this forum is more about subs than speakers.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I bought some fusion 10's off a member, he upgraded to htm 12's, from what I gathered he liked the fusion 10's a lot, and he likes the htm 12's alot. I think its safe to say Erich would say the htm10 or htm12's are better in a home theater then the fusions are since they were designed for home theater use. They are shallower and dont weigh as much with the flat packs he sells.

My impression of the fusion 10's is great! Looking on the website the fusion is 216$ vs 267$ for the HTM. So knowing what I know and hearing what ive heard, I dont think the htm10 is worth the 300$ upgrade over what I paid for the fusion 10's. However if I were buying new, id probably spend the extra 150$ and get something designed for home theater use.

But like I said, not to put words in his mouth, but I bet if you asked him which is better for home theater use, you would be told the "home theater monitor" is better, since it was designed to be.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX3ST View Post
I tried searching on this topic, but didn't really find much conversation on the subject.

A buddy came over and I demoed my 1299 LCR with Concentric 8 surround setup, so now he wants big speakers too! We got to talking about budget and the fact I like to make sawdust and I think we're going to build a setup for him. I was thinking Fusion until I saw the HTM lineup. So I'm a little torn on what to build.

So the question is what's the gain when moving from HTM to Fusion? Looks like the CD xover is about 1k lower on the Fusion and the woofer digs a little deeper. (I was comparing HTM12 to Fusion12, Fusion 15 is on the table too) Then there's the consideration of driver quality between the kits and their impact on SQ.

DNA325 vs DNA360 (I can't find any info on the 325 so what's the difference on these? Are they fairly interchangeable?)
DeltaLite vs DeltaPro

Thoughts?

This would likely be paired with either Volt6/8 surrounds and a single ported SI HST18.

The Fusions were some of the first SEOS waveguide speakers designed. The sizes are all kind of different and don't really share much in common because they were done by different designers. Each one is good though.

The HTM's were designed more as a complete 'series'. So they share the same basic look, compression driver, neo magnet woofers, light weight, shallow box design. They were all designed and voiced by the same person, so they all sound similar. They're geared more towards home theater for behind the screen use or with a resistor modification if not used behind the screen. The were made smaller because they don't need to produce much bass under 60hz because the subwoofers will take care of that.

The 360 compression driver uses a polyimide diaphragm and the 325 uses a Mylar diaphragm. Woofers and compression drivers are not interchangeable on any of the designs without changing the crossover design.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If it is mainly for 2ch music which would be better HTM10 or Fusion10. I believe both have the SEOS waveguide right? So they both should sound a lot smoother than a regular horn like Klipsch. I like the Fusion look as it is slimmer and looks like a traditional bookshelf speaker.

My main interest in HTM10 or Fusion10 is because they have the high sensitivity like Klipsch so I dont need a powerful amp but they would sound a lot smoother than the Klipsch. Can I expect the highs from HTM10 or Fusion10 to sound like that of a dome tweter? If not I could use some EQ and reduce the 2kHz by a coule of db as I am not using them for movies i.e conversation intelligibility is not important for me.

I am really on the fense between HTM10 and Fusion10 and dont know which one to pick. I am also waiting to see what finished speaker cabinets would be available.
Crossover is another issue even if Fusion10 finished cabinets will be sold at DIYSG as the Fusion10 assembled crossover is not sold at DIYSG.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ crossover issues especially wrt expert assembly / expert testing are probably easily fixed by some shipping and writing a check.
18Hurts likes this.

L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
The brighter sound in Klipsch also has to do with the compression driver they use and how they designed them to sound.

If you're not using a subwoofer, then neither the HTM or Fusion-10 would be recommended. If you want a dome tweeter and need full range, you might be better off waiting for one of the new designs using the Anarchy woofers.

Crossovers can be assembled for any kits, one of the speaker designers will do that.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Will adding a separate amplifier to the fusion or htm have much benefit for the bass reproduction?

I plan on getting either a Denon x4400h/x6400h and they're rated at 125/140. But I will do a 9 speaker setup and this might be a little too much for the unit to handle.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^

"All That" is going to depend very much on the room, treatments, placement, room gain, REQ, listening levels for music and movies

the AVR's should have no issues running the speakers as the expectation is that LF duty will be taken care of by at least a pair of subs with their own amps, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page