AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Considering a DIY sub and need some help (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2937312-considering-diy-sub-need-some-help.html)

bcabes 11-27-2017 10:54 AM

Considering a DIY sub and need some help

Right now I have a 5.2.2 system all with the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. The bass feels like the most lacking part of that setup. I was initially thinking of just buying a better sub-woofer, but I think that the DIY route would be fun for me. Hopefully I will get a better bang for your buck too. I have a been looking over some DIY forums but I have a few questions if someone can help me out.

1. It seems like the iNuke power amplifiers are favorites around here. I wanted something that could have remote control through bluetooth, but all that power amplifiers with bluetooth control seem to be for speakers and not subs. Is this something that exists?

2. Given a $500ish budget is a single 15" the best option? I could the potentially add a second later in the future.

3. Is it even worth trying to build a system that matches with the cheap Pioneer subs that I have (SW-8MK2).

Thanks for any help.

EndersShadow 11-27-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcabes (Post 55209636)
1. It seems like the iNuke power amplifiers are favorites around here. I wanted something that could have remote control through bluetooth

Why? The volume control on your receiver handles volume for the sub, you just use the gain knob on a DIY sub the same as you'd use on a regular sub.

Quote:

2. Given a $500ish budget is a single 15" the best option? I could the potentially add a second later in the future.

Depends. Is that 500 for subs + amp to drive them? If so, a single 15 (as long as you REALLY PLAN to add a second) is ok. Otherwise, you may find dual or quad 12's may be more up your alley.

The JBL CS1214 is under 40 bucks a driver, and looks REALLY GOOD in a 5 cubic foot ported box with a tuning of 19hz. Since each driver is a 4 ohm load, you could use 2 of them connected to a 2 channel amp like a iNuke (and likely have to limit the wattage to not blow the driver), or hook up 4 of those boxes (for an 8 ohm load) with 2 boxes wired to one channel of your amp, and the other two to the other folder and be even more happy.

Alternately, you could just buy 2 of them, buy a decent stereo iNuke, buy 2 1.5 or 2 cubic foot sealed flatpacks and then call it a day. That would likely to better than what you have now...

Quote:

3. Is it even worth trying to build a system that matches with the cheap Pioneer subs that I have (SW-8MK2).

Nope, move that sub to a secondary system and replace it. With 500 bucks you can DIY a sub setup thats 5x better IMHO.

bcabes 11-27-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndersShadow (Post 55210034)
Why? The volume control on your receiver handles volume for the sub, you just use the gain knob on a DIY sub the same as you'd use on a regular sub.

Anything that I get I would like to put behind my AT Screen. I live in a condo and the HT room is in the basement. It is decently insulated but the thought was to manually turn down just the bass late at night would be a nice feature to have. You are right that I could do this through my Denon 3200 receiver but the app does not work well for me to do anything more complicated to change channel or adjust volume. It is not necessary and looking like it may not even exist for a reasonable price point.

I looked at the JBL CS1214 that you recommended. That seems like a nice option. Should I be okay to put 4 of those on a 15 Amp circuit?

EndersShadow 11-27-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcabes (Post 55210142)
Anything that I get I would like to put behind my AT Screen. I live in a condo and the HT room is in the basement. It is decently insulated but the thought was to manually turn down just the bass late at night would be a nice feature to have. You are right that I could do this through my Denon 3200 receiver but the app does not work well for me to do anything more complicated to change channel or adjust volume. It is not necessary and looking like it may not even exist for a reasonable price point.

I looked at the JBL CS1214 that you recommended. That seems like a nice option. Should I be okay to put 4 of those on a 15 Amp circuit?

Depending on the amp you choose, that should be fine. I doubt a iNuke would trip that, but it also depends on what else in on that circuit.....

And your solution to late night listening is either to turn the amp off manually or with a 12v trigger (but I haven't figured that out yet, so I cant help you). There also may be settings in your Denon to decrease the sub levels easier than going in and screwing with the level of the sub every time (but again haven't done that myself).

To wit, if your concerned about your neighbors hearing your subs, and they are in a basement with a slab floor, they likely wont. Concrete absorbs bass very good, so your neighbors may not ever have a clue you have 2 subs. If however its an issue with rattling things in YOUR condo, that say a significant other, kids dont like.... that may not be as easy to solve :)...

bcabes 11-27-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndersShadow (Post 55210034)

Depends. Is that 500 for subs + amp to drive them? If so, a single 15 (as long as you REALLY PLAN to add a second) is ok. Otherwise, you may find dual or quad 12's may be more up your alley.

The JBL CS1214 is under 40 bucks a driver, and looks REALLY GOOD in a 5 cubic foot ported box with a tuning of 19hz. Since each driver is a 4 ohm load, you could use 2 of them connected to a 2 channel amp like a iNuke (and likely have to limit the wattage to not blow the driver), or hook up 4 of those boxes (for an 8 ohm load) with 2 boxes wired to one channel of your amp, and the other two to the other folder and be even more happy.

Alternately, you could just buy 2 of them, buy a decent stereo iNuke, buy 2 1.5 or 2 cubic foot sealed flatpacks and then call it a day. That would likely to better than what you have now...

Nope, move that sub to a secondary system and replace it. With 500 bucks you can DIY a sub setup thats 5x better IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndersShadow (Post 55210442)
Depending on the amp you choose, that should be fine. I doubt a iNuke would trip that, but it also depends on what else in on that circuit.....

And your solution to late night listening is either to turn the amp off manually or with a 12v trigger (but I haven't figured that out yet, so I cant help you). There also may be settings in your Denon to decrease the sub levels easier than going in and screwing with the level of the sub every time (but again haven't done that myself).

To wit, if your concerned about your neighbors hearing your subs, and they are in a basement with a slab floor, they likely wont. Concrete absorbs bass very good, so your neighbors may not ever have a clue you have 2 subs. If however its an issue with rattling things in YOUR condo, that say a significant other, kids dont like.... that may not be as easy to solve :)...

Thanks again for all the help. I think I will get 4 of these https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-cx-...?skuId=8480035 with an iNuke 3000DSP. Any of the 5 cubit ported box designs that you recommend?

EndersShadow 11-27-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcabes (Post 55210488)
Thanks again for all the help. I think I will get 4 of these https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-cx-...?skuId=8480035 with an iNuke 3000DSP. Any of the 5 cubit ported box designs that you recommend?

Yup, that one is basically a redone version of the CS1214 with a new dust cap. Spec's are the same.

Honestly, if you can follow the i-clops build spec's, your golden. 16 x 16 x 36 IIRC with a slot port. 4 of those would do some damage. Just ask @Broke EF