• 1 Post By Raylon

post #1 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Basement Blaster - Hi-Fi!

So I started this initially as wanting to build a VBSS with a Titan on top as a Stereo setup for my basement. It eventually warped into just a pair of VBSS with a pair of PA speakers on top. Still plenty loud, still tons of authority. Loving the setup almost every day.

So here is where it all started, borrowed a set of Peavey PA speakers from a friend and used a real old radio to power them. Didn't sound half bad, but I needed more!

And next I added an iNuke3000DSP, an old TV I had laying around, and a Slimline Marantz I bought for this setup

I finally got around to then building the VBSS. Tuned to 30hz with slot ports. Used the setup this way for probably 8 months.

And then I wanted to give back the Peaveys so I bought a set of cheapo Monoprice PA speakers and then got around to finishing the VBSS. I painted them with Duratex, added handles, added rubber feet, and then put grills on the protect them in the basement environment. I also added a Crown X1000 to power the Monoprice speakers and bought a shelf for the Marantz.

Really love how the VBSS came out, they look really good!

A friend recently had a birthday party so I hauled the setup over to his house. Sounded fantastic outside. Can't imagine moving all that stuff around anytime again soon though!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-17 10.10.36.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	2348614  
eng-399, Fabricator, bebb and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Raylon; 09-09-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 5019
Awesome! Titan and VBSS great idea and as crazy as this sounds when Matt (mtg90) was over this past Monday we did some measuring and the titans in my room reached down to 17hz by them selves they dig pretty deep. I don’t see anything wrong with what you want. The Titan 15” driver has a neo magnet and doesn’t has to much weight to the driver but the rest of the enclosure would. What if you built the vbss and the Titan into one big box? Separate the Titan of course to the vbss but have them all in one big mdf baffle. Just an idea. Once I get my new amp since I blew the last inuke up you can always swing by and hear my two vbss to get an idea of tuning for your setup. We can play around with crossover settings in it and see what you like.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Awesome! Titan and VBSS great idea and as crazy as this sounds when Matt (mtg90) was over this past Monday we did some measuring and the titans in my room reached down to 17hz by them selves they dig pretty deep. I don’t see anything wrong with what you want. The Titan 15” driver has a neo magnet and doesn’t has to much weight to the driver but the rest of the enclosure would. What if you built the vbss and the Titan into one big box? Separate the Titan of course to the vbss but have them all in one big mdf baffle. Just an idea. Once I get my new amp since I blew the last inuke up you can always swing by and hear my two vbss to get an idea of tuning for your setup. We can play around with crossover settings in it and see what you like.
I thought about doing one big box but after building those boxes behind my couch for the ht18s I like the idea of everything being individual. Those boxes have to weight 200+ each and are just a pain in the ass to move or do anything with.

I had no idea you still had VBSS I thought you sold them so yea I can definitely swing by at some point and see how different crossover sounds. I will probably bring my baffles too and I may need to use your router quick to cut holes for the vbss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 5019
Basement Blaster - Hi-Fi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
I thought about doing one big box but after building those boxes behind my couch for the ht18s I like the idea of everything being individual. Those boxes have to weight 200+ each and are just a pain in the ass to move or do anything with.

I had no idea you still had VBSS I thought you sold them so yea I can definitely swing by at some point and see how different crossover sounds. I will probably bring my baffles too and I may need to use your router quick to cut holes for the vbss.

Cool sounds good, where were you going to put these in the nook in the center of your basement having the stairs behind you or in the corner on the same side as your work bench.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Cool sounds good, where were you going to put these in the nook in the center of your basement having the stairs behind you or in the corner on the same side as your work bench.
Actually kind of on the other side of basement. Between my furnace and my sump pumps I have an open area of 10 feet with nothing there, so I figure I can rig up a wall mount and set everything up there and you can see it from whole 'entertaining side' of the basement with the pool table, darts, and air hockey table.

Would love to hear what @mtg90 thinks about this setup considering he designed it all!

Last edited by Raylon; 12-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Personally I would skip the VBSS and just use the Titan's with a beefy amp and DSP. The ported 615 with DSP would be more capable on the low end then the dual 12" magnum titan design I brought to Mikes GTG. You could extend the ports on the titan and push tuning down to 30hz or so and likely have great output down into the mid 20's. The woofer in the titan615LX is actually capable of displacing more air then the PA460 in the VBSS (xmax is nearly twice that of the PA460).

I'd look at using an inuke 6000DSP or AX6240 to get the most out of the titans or perhaps a Crown XTi, DSi or CDi 2000 if you can find a good deal on a used one.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-16-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Personally I would skip the VBSS and just use the Titan's with a beefy amp and DSP. The ported 615 with DSP would be more capable on the low end then the dual 12" magnum titan design I brought to Mikes GTG. You could extend the ports on the titan and push tuning down to 30hz or so and likely have great output down into the mid 20's. The woofer in the titan615LX is actually capable of displacing more air then the PA460 in the VBSS (xmax is nearly twice that of the PA460).

I'd look at using an inuke 6000DSP or AX6240 to get the most out of the titans or perhaps a Crown XTi, DSi or CDi 2000 if you can find a good deal on a used one.
Interesting! That's exactly why I wanted to ask you! Now since I already have a 3000DSP and the VBSS boxes halfway built, would it make sense to maybe keep them focused on the low end and tune them to say, 20hz and then keep Titan tuning where it is 'stock'? Does that free up the titan to make it have to do less work? I really want to have maximum 'chest slam' so 50hz region, so I'm not sure if Titan or VBSS would be better in that range. I don't want to tune Titan lower and lessen its impact in the higher ranges, if that makes sense.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What would you be using for the pre/pro or AVR?

If you already have the Amp and started on the VBSS then another option I would consider is doing a double bass setup where Titans are running full range and the VBSS are covering up to 80hz+ as well. I would still tune the Titans down around 30hz, if powered by another 3000dsp you should be able to high pass them around 20-24hz without issue. You won't really be giving up anything in the mid bass running the Titans full range and actually get some benefits using multiple sources covering the bass range rather then crossover the Titans to the subs somewhere between 40-80hz.
bebb likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What would you be using for the pre/pro or AVR?

If you already have the Amp and started on the VBSS then another option I would consider is doing a double bass setup where Titans are running full range and the VBSS are covering up to 80hz+ as well. I would still tune the Titans down around 30hz, if powered by another 3000dsp you should be able to high pass them around 20-24hz without issue. You won't really be giving up anything in the mid bass running the Titans full range and actually get some benefits using multiple sources covering the bass range rather then crossover the Titans to the subs somewhere between 40-80hz.
Got a Marantz NR1607 for AVR. I liked it because it's got pre-outs for the Front L/R and subs which is all I need but is still a full AVR.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KBCe2a...tz-NR1607.html

That sounds exactly what I want! Should I only go for 3000 for the Titans or should I get the 6000? And what is easiest way to get tuning to 30hz for the Titans?
post #10 of 24 Old 12-17-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You only need the 3000 for the titans if you will be mixing them with the VBSS.

To drop the tuning you will need:
2x https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-382
4x https://www.parts-express.com/precis...-tube--268-380

The 12" port tubes should be cut in half so you have four 6" tubes to add to the ports on the titans.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 12" port tubes should be cut in half so you have four 6" tubes to add to the ports on the titans.

Awsome! So now I just need to somehow convince myself to spend the $1500 to buy the Titans. It was easy to buy the VBSS, so cheap. Titans, not so much.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thread update time!

Well stage one of this project is done. I got a pair of Peavey SP2X from my friend for free. I am storing them at my house because they are gigantic and he has no storage and while I 'store' them, they are gunna get used! I then built my VBSS and got those up and running. I have another iNUke3000 on the way to power the Peaveys. They sounded great with power from the iNuke so I want to get them off receiver power and back on iNuke power!

This will satisfy me for a while. Painting will come in the spring when I have more free time. Titans will probably come eventually, but for now, this setup sounds great.
muzz, Blorton, asarose247 and 2 others like this.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Get that MDF cabinet away from the sump pump and water source!!!
Blorton likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Get that MDF cabinet away from the sump pump and water source!!!
Nah! I have a battery powered backup pump so I'm not too worried about my $21 MDF cabinet that took about 2 days to build being ruined if both my pumps fail!
post #15 of 24 Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 522
I don't mean if the pumps fail. I mean water in the well, and moisture in general that close to the MDF.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
I don't mean if the pumps fail. I mean water in the well, and moisture in general that close to the MDF.
Ooohh I gotcha. I have a newer house and all our sump pits have to be sealed for radon, so not fears of that!
post #17 of 24 Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:

mtg90, with the shallow flat pack cabinets looks like a 6" extension will have the rear of the port basically flush against the rear wall. I don't play anywhere near reference so I dont see any danger in hitting excursion limits, can i do a shorter extension inwards and then a 90 degree turn upwards? What would you suggest for port length if I was trying for 20 Hz or as low as physically possible?

Edited to add:

Found another thread where you mentioned that one port plugged would drop tune to 28Hz, I'm thinking a 4" extension to the other would still leave 2" of clearance at the back of the port.

Last edited by Pradeep2; 05-06-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Adding info
post #18 of 24 Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #19 of 24 Old 09-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Which Monoprice speakers are those, and what do you think of them?
post #20 of 24 Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
Which Monoprice speakers are those, and what do you think of them?
They are the $99 ones, linky below. To me they don't sound bad. They sound about the same as the Peaveys but don't go near as deep, have to be crossed at 80hz. They sound great though, can't believe they are only $99. There were some pretty good reviews on them I found on the forum that recommended them.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604470
post #21 of 24 Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
They are the $99 ones, linky below. To me they don't sound bad. They sound about the same as the Peaveys but don't go near as deep, have to be crossed at 80hz. They sound great though, can't believe they are only $99. There were some pretty good reviews on them I found on the forum that recommended them.

Thank you. Wow $99 each.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

Out of curiosity, why did you choose these instead of the 150Watt bi-amped speaker https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2? Looks to me the same speaker but with an amp included. Looking to buy 7 for an outside setup and would like to hear your thoughts about the two speakers.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you choose these instead of the 150Watt bi-amped speaker https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2? Looks to me the same speaker but with an amp included. Looking to buy 7 for an outside setup and would like to hear your thoughts about the two speakers.
I did look at it but can't remember why I didn't pick it besides I already had an amp so I had no reason to buy powered. Something had to go down in quality to make the price stay the same. The powered speaker only puts on 115w RMS while the passive can handle 500RMS. It looks a little beefier too, the cabinet appears to have more volume for the passive(and looks way better IMO). But if you need 7 for something outside I can't imagine going wrong with the powered setup.
BCRSS likes this.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Thanks for your thoughts. Don't need 7 but at that price I am thinking why not. Build a couple PA's to match it all up and I think it should sound pretty good for movie nights next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page