Wiring Check for Cyclopses...Cyclopsi... more than one! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-28-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wiring Check for Cyclopses...Cyclopsi... more than one!

Hi all. I am putting the finishing touches on my two Cyclops subs and want to make sure I am square on the wiring. First a big thanks to the forums and especially LTD02 for his design and hand holding early on in my build.
I didn't take very many pics of my build because I just followed the cut list/ instructions in the Cyclops build thread. Also, you know the folks around here who build beautiful furniture looking stuff? Well, lets just say mine are not that...
Now I am ready to add them to my system. I have a Marantz AV7703 preamp that is feeding a iNuke 6000dsp. The Marantz has two sub outs, Audyssey XT32, and claims to be able to treat each sub individually. (I do plan on getting on the REW wagon, but for now I really just want to let Audyssey do its thing, get my theater finished and watch some movies). I am using um18-22 drivers.
So, I believe I need to:
1) Connect each sub output from the Marantz to a channel of the iNuke.
2) Configure the iNuke for dual mono.
3) Setup the filter to drop the high pass filter below 20hz. I need some help with the db gain to set- The build target is 17hz... so do I adjust the filter to 17hz, and if so what gain setting do I need?
4) Let's see if I can successfully post a pick of my wiring scheme:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iNukeWiring.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	2336694  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by argent65 View Post
Hi all. I am putting the finishing touches on my two Cyclops subs and want to make sure I am square on the wiring. First a big thanks to the forums and especially LTD02 for his design and hand holding early on in my build.
I didn't take very many pics of my build because I just followed the cut list/ instructions in the Cyclops build thread. Also, you know the folks around here who build beautiful furniture looking stuff? Well, lets just say mine are not that...
Now I am ready to add them to my system. I have a Marantz AV7703 preamp that is feeding a iNuke 6000dsp. The Marantz has two sub outs, Audyssey XT32, and claims to be able to treat each sub individually. (I do plan on getting on the REW wagon, but for now I really just want to let Audyssey do its thing, get my theater finished and watch some movies). I am using um18-22 drivers.
So, I believe I need to:
1) Connect each sub output from the Marantz to a channel of the iNuke.
2) Configure the iNuke for dual mono.
3) Setup the filter to drop the high pass filter below 20hz. I need some help with the db gain to set- The build target is 17hz... so do I adjust the filter to 17hz, and if so what gain setting do I need?
4) Let's see if I can successfully post a pick of my wiring scheme:
... and one other question- I was able to add the thumbnail, but can't find how to add "full size" photos to a post. There must be thread around here that explains it. If anyone could point me to it I would appreciate it.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-29-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 835 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked: 3624
congratulations on your primordial giant subs! who cares if they aren't pretty...vanity wasn't a sin that i ever heard associated with cyclops. :-)

wiring is correct. -3db will get it to approx. 17hz.

if both subs will be co-located, then a single cable can be run from the AVR to the inuke channel A.

inuke set to bi-amp1 (this takes the input from channel A and outputs it to both the speaker outputs).

that method just saves a cable, which doesn't really matter for most folks.

how to insert a picture here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...mage-post.html

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Guess I have been able to absorb some of the info around here.

Not sure if I will eventually co-locate or not. I have room behind the rear row for this form factor and I can see adding two more down the road. I plan to start with both behind the screen wall, probably at 1/4 width.

Hopefully I will make some noise in the theater with these this weekend.

Looks like I did get my pic loaded correctly... It displays fine on my tablet/ Tapatalk.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 12-29-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Thanks! Guess I have been able to absorb some of the info around here.

Not sure if I will eventually co-locate or not. I have room behind the rear row for this form factor and I can see adding two more down the road. I plan to start with both behind the screen wall, probably at 1/4 width.

Hopefully I will make some noise in the theater with these this weekend.

Looks like I did get my pic loaded correctly... It displays fine on my tablet/ Tapatalk.

I bet they will sound great. For the rear seats, many folks went nearfield sealed or ported right behind the seats. See @eng-399 nearfield sub builds.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #6 of 12 Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah- I'm putting a pin in those type of thoughts for phase two of my build... "Optimizing". I found the Cyclops because I was looking for a form factor that would be placement flexible in my room and allow up to four. I could comfortably fit two behind the screen and two more in back if... Excuse me, when I decide I need more!

post #7 of 12 Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Yeah- I'm putting a pin in those type of thoughts for phase two of my build... "Optimizing". I found the Cyclops because I was looking for a form factor that would be placement flexible in my room and allow up to four. I could comfortably fit two behind the screen and two more in back if... Excuse me, when I decide I need more!

Yup and dont forget the smaller version that uses a 12" the i-clops....

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #8 of 12 Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to get the subs in the theater this afternoon and get them initially placed (pic is pretty washed out):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171230_151439860.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	812.9 KB
ID:	2337516  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I have not been able to get much sound out of them yet. Not sure what I am doing wrong... hopefully someone can show me the error of my ways:
1) I went ahead with a dual mono config since I have the cables. So my inuke config screen looks like:

2) Then I followed the instructions in the How to extend the high pass filter below 20hz in DCX2496 thread. Everything looked good when I did that.

3) I then went into my preamp setup and added the subs, and ran through a channel check. I was only getting sound out of one sub...

4) Connected to the inuke again, and the filter settings now appear to be out of whack. I tried to reenter the correct values and as soon as I tab out of a field, it reverts back to these values...

Any ideas on what I screwed up here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	config.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2337518   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2337520   Click image for larger version

Name:	parametric eq.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2337522  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 389
adjust your channel B high pass filter?

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #11 of 12 Old 12-31-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the problem is somehow I have locked out the software... It will let me click in the fields and enter a new value but as soon as I leave the field it reverts back to the values shown.

I have not been able to figure how I managed that, or how to reverse it.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-01-2018, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

So I downloaded the iNuke software again and rebooted my laptop... voila. I was able to set the correct values. That problem is so 2017...

Both subs are now making noise! I clearly have more setup to do as their output is pretty low compared to the HTM-12 mains, but that will have to wait till I finish my screenwall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page