Mini Marty: Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax (Build Thread) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #91 of 186 Old 02-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Sounds like you've got the finishing process nailed, looks good!
I didn't paint my box, but used Minwax stain. Then I used a satin polyurethane aerosol like yours and it turned out really good. I did quite a few coats, keeping them pretty light. I had to do a lot more coats than I was expecting, and did some light sanding by hand between each coat, waiting 6-24hrs for each coat to harden.
One of my neighbors does wood working and he says the polyurethane is a great finish because it is sort of self-healing if it gets small nicks. A little sanding and re-application to repair it.

Nice job on the box! When will you get to listen to it?
mkohman likes this.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 186 Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The box looks really nice I bet your glad you spent the time sanding and applying all the coats of paint. I need to get me but downstairs and continue with my project to. Everyone in my house is sick ugh...
Cheers brother.. I wish the family well and a speedy recovery !!!
eng-399 and monty6400 like this.
post #93 of 186 Old 02-03-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazle View Post
Sounds like you've got the finishing process nailed, looks good!
I didn't paint my box, but used Minwax stain. Then I used a satin polyurethane aerosol like yours and it turned out really good. I did quite a few coats, keeping them pretty light. I had to do a lot more coats than I was expecting, and did some light sanding by hand between each coat, waiting 6-24hrs for each coat to harden.
One of my neighbors does wood working and he says the polyurethane is a great finish because it is sort of self-healing if it gets small nicks. A little sanding and re-application to repair it.

Nice job on the box! When will you get to listen to it?
Thank you for your kind words.. I will probably get to completely finish it next week sometime.. I want to sand it down with 320 grit very lightly and apply 1 or 2 more light coats of polyurethane then use the 0 grit steel wool before bringing it back into the house to install the internal cabling and the actual driver... Probably after Tuesday it should be back in doors.. I want to give it another coat or 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 186 Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 PM

Yea I think I ended up doing about 10 coats of poly. What is the purpose of the 0 grit steel wool? Does it leave a certain finish?

This is your second sub with the UM18 right? Where will they both be placed in room?
mkohman likes this.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
post #95 of 186 Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea I think I ended up doing about 10 coats of poly. What is the purpose of the 0 grit steel wool? Does it leave a certain finish?

This is your second sub with the UM18 right? Where will they both be placed in room?
I think the 0 grit steel wool smooths it out completely.... This is my first um18-22 18.. I can only have one of these beasts in my room lol.. I will hit it with 320 grit then the 0 grit steel wool tomorrow that would be approximately 48hrs drying time and if I'm happy with the finish I'll leave it at that (4 x coats of polyurethane) if not then I'll hit it one or two more times but I think 4 coats is enough.. I don't want to over do it and ruin it...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
post #96 of 186 Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Looking forward to seeing completed pictures with the driver installed.

And obligatory video of it playing Bass I love you.
mkohman and monty6400 like this.
post #97 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Teaser :

Sanded (light strokes) with sprayed soapy warm water and 320 grit sand paper, then used 0000 grit steel wool in circular motions to complete and buff it up... Result is beautifully crafted and finished matt black mini marty .. All that's left now is internal wiring and installation of the actual driver.... To follow shortly but for now here are some pics of the final finish....

LTD02, OJ Bartley, DrDyna and 2 others like this.
post #98 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Great job, looks awesome

I gotta look into sanding down through grits and steel wool, I usually just lazily paint stuff and let it be, but I really like how consistent that looks, I'm gonna have to try it
mkohman likes this.
post #99 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Completed.. Just under a months of hard work and all completed.. I quickly tested a couple of movie scenes and the bass is mental.. Proper tight and loud, feeling in your chest type of bass.. Initial thoughts are.. Awesome

I need to get REW up and running and see what the graphs show also need to do setting on the inuke 6000dsp and anthem calibration.. Won't be for a few days though as I'm working till Thursday... Here are some more pictures showing the subwoofer last stages and the subwoofer in place...

post #100 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Awesome job! I really like the recessed speakon port, haha.
mkohman likes this.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #101 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4963
post #102 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
“You taking”

Hahah
Hahaha that's brilliant

eng-399 and biga6761 like this.
post #103 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post
Awesome job! I really like the recessed speakon port, haha.
Cheers dude much appreciated

post #104 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@eng-399 would it be OK if I never limited the power within the inuke 6000dsp and just turned the gain knob on the front to 3 o'clock? I feel that if I limit it it may not be sending enough power to the subwoofer.. What's your thoughts.. What would you advise me to limit it to? Also shall I do the high pass filter to 17hz or 18hz, the Dayton is shown as maximum 20hz,I don't want to cause any damage? Thanks

apexgrin and biga6761 like this.
post #105 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 138
That looks fantastic! Great job on the finish.
mkohman likes this.
post #106 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dTorC4 View Post
Thank you @dTorC4 I really gave it my all and didn't try and cut corners with it.. I wet sanded between each coat of polyurathane and the end result really did pay off.. Definitely reccomend taking the extra steps .. It is a real pain but it really makes a difference!
post #107 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Quote:
Thank you @dTorC4 I really gave it my all and didn't try and cut corners with it.. I wet sanded between each coat of polyurathane and the end result really did pay off.. Definitely reccomend taking the extra steps .. It is a real pain but it really makes a difference!
What grit did you wet sand with between polyurethane coats?
mkohman likes this.
post #108 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Great build!
Beautiful!
mkohman likes this.
post #109 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #110 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What grit did you wet sand with between polyurethane coats?
@dTorC4 as mentioned in post #97 , 320 grit sand paper by hand and very light strokes very gentle and light just to get the imperfections and possible dust off it, then hit it with 3 more coats allowing a day to dry inbetween and repeating the above.. when fully dried with 4 coats of polyurethane, I did the same only this time with a spray bottle full of soapy warm water.. lightly sprayed onto the section i would sand (ie: first top, then front then sides and finally the back..) I would do the 320 grit again and then hit it with 0000 steel wool which will smooth it out completely and buff it up.. If you want you can go one step further and apply clear wax with the 0000 grit steel wool then after 5 mins of allowing it to dry you hit it again with the 0000 grit steel wool or even a good quality dry cloth will do and as a result you will get a high gloss finish, however I do not like this and prefer the Matt Black Finish hence why I skipped this stage
post #111 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Turn that baby up like your saying just make sure your not clipping the signal which are the red lights on the amp. The inuke 6,000 dsp shouldn’t give that sub any problems driving it all the way up.
mkohman and biga6761 like this.
post #112 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Turn that baby up like your saying just make sure your not clipping the signal which are the red lights on the amp. The inuke 6,000 dsp shouldn’t give that sub any problems driving it all the way up.
Thank you my brother.. So you mean not to limit it internally with the inuke? Just set the HPF and be done? I mean if I did that I will leave the gain knob at 3 o'clock at the front of the panel or I could limit it via inuke to lets say 2000w and then turn the gain knob at the front to full? What you think?

Also I notice the Dayton is showing max 20hz in the specs, will it not cause harm if I did the trick and tuned it to let say 17hz? Thanks Mike
post #113 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mini Marty: Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax (Build Thread)

You got it right don’t set the limiter but also at the same time be aware of that. Kind of like playing the EOT clip with Tom cruise the very low bass could damage the driver but besides that movie clip I really don’t think you will ever have a problem. Do the hp work around like your saying to 15-16 hz and you should be all set.
mkohman likes this.
post #114 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You got it right don’t set the limiter but also at the same time be aware of that. Kind of like playing the EOT clip with Tom cruise the very low bass could damage the driver but besides that movie clip I really don’t think you will ever have a problem. Do the hp work around like your saying to 15-16 hz and you should be all set.
Cheers Mike.. Definitely will keep an eye on those lights.. I am going to send the Noctua fans back to amazon for a refund as I haven't opened them and don't see the point in changing either because it will 1 - void the warranty and 2 - as it's in an enclosed unit I don't even hear it especially when watching a movie ... so it will be a waste of money and effort.. Will request a return from Amazon later today...

I will set the HPF to17 hz and that should be it. I have the inuke on a power surge plug as mentioned before so when I press the off button on my Harmony remote everything shuts down and when the Anthem turns off all my power amps including the inuke goes off automatically, however I hear a little thud sound coming from the Dayton when it goes off is this normal? I mean is it ok or is that not supposed to happen? Thanks
post #115 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I have the inuke on a power surge plug as mentioned before so when I press the off button on my Harmony remote everything shuts down and when the Anthem turns off all my power amps including the inuke goes off automatically, however I hear a little thud sound coming from the Dayton when it goes off is this normal? I mean is it ok or is that not supposed to happen? Thanks
Hey @mkohman ,

I have an iNuke6kDSP as well, and the UM-18. I hear the same thud or thump whenever I turn mine off by a switched power source. (the amp is plugged into a wall outlet which is controlled by a light switch to turn it off and on - pretty convenient for my sub setup actually).

I did read up on this issue too, and everybody seemed to say that it's no big deal.
mkohman likes this.

post #116 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey @mkohman ,

I have an iNuke6kDSP as well, and the UM-18. I hear the same thud or thump whenever I turn mine off by a switched power source. (the amp is plugged into a wall outlet which is controlled by a light switch to turn it off and on - pretty convenient for my sub setup actually).

I did read up on this issue too, and everybody seemed to say that it's no big deal.
Thanks a lot @Brazle really appreciate your input.. I will stop worrying now I guess.. Did you set a limit to the power out from the inuke 6000dsp control software or left on full power? Also what's the gain knob at the front showing on yours out of interest and what did you set your HPF to? Thanks, it would be nice to compare notes

post #117 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot @Brazle Did you set a limit to the power out from the inuke 6000dsp control software or left on full power? Also what's the gain knob at the front showing on yours out of interest and what did you set your HPF to? Thanks, it would be nice to compare notes
Yes, absolutely, I saw your question about that but was waiting for @eng-399 to respond, but I can definitely try to tell you what I think mine is set to.
I can't be absolutely certain without pulling out the cable and connecting to the amp again, but I THINK ... I did set the peak limiter by choosing 4 Ohm in the ohm setting under Peak Limiter on the Configuration tab. This doesn't do anything, it just gives you the correctly calculated Voltage/Watts going to that channel. Then I am pretty sure I just set it to 1000 watts or just under. This gave me some peace of mind, especially when I had the cabinet first set up and was testing and tuning.
I don't remember if I added any gain in the Filter/Crossover tab for that channel. I don't think so.
Then I would make changes using the dial on the front to get the level I wanted. I am pretty sure I have it set to 15 (the 15th notch from 0, there are 20 notches on the knob), about 3 o'clock.
I did also set a highpass filter at around 17 Hz using the "trick" with a PEQ.

So I am probably running a bit less than the full 1000 watts to the sub, but it seems just about right to me. I can really get that thing moving when I get up to about -5 Master Volume with a healthy +10dB house curve below 100Hz. It's pretty much loud enough and it feels like I'm using as much of the subs capacity as I need to.
mkohman likes this.

post #118 of 186 Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, I saw your question about that but was waiting for @eng-399 to respond, but I can definitely try to tell you what I think mine is set to.
I can't be absolutely certain without pulling out the cable and connecting to the amp again, but I THINK ... I did set the peak limiter by choosing 4 Ohm in the ohm setting under Peak Limiter on the Configuration tab. This doesn't do anything, it just gives you the correctly calculated Voltage/Watts going to that channel. Then I am pretty sure I just set it to 1000 watts or just under. This gave me some peace of mind, especially when I had the cabinet first set up and was testing and tuning.
I don't remember if I added any gain in the Filter/Crossover tab for that channel. I don't think so.
Then I would make changes using the dial on the front to get the level I wanted. I am pretty sure I have it set to 15 (the 15th notch from 0, there are 20 notches on the knob), about 3 o'clock.
I did also set a highpass filter at around 17 Hz using the "trick" with a PEQ.

So I am probably running a bit less than the full 1000 watts to the sub, but it seems just about right to me. I can really get that thing moving when I get up to about -5 Master Volume with a healthy +10dB house curve below 100Hz. It's pretty much loud enough and it feels like I'm using as much of the subs capacity as I need to.
Cheers dude, really appreciate your input.. 1000w does seem like very little as I don't believe the inuke rating lol.. however I think I will probably set it to 1500 first and control it from the front gain knob as you say.. also set my HPF to 17hz too. Thanks alot for your help
post #119 of 186 Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
From the WINISD of this box that I did for you oh so long ago it took 1700w to take the driver to 25mm excursion with a 17hz 4 order HPF in place. This is still useable excursion from this driver. Its doubtful that the inuke will ever give the driver 1700w so Id just leave the limit off and set the HPF!

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk
mkohman likes this.
post #120 of 186 Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Now that you are done with the build, do you mind sharing the total expenses? Like the sub + amp + building costs. I am asking since I am interested in making a diy sub myself and want to how much money should I be ready to spend.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
mkohman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page