iNuke 6000dsp Setup with Dual 15" Sealed Ultimax Subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig S King
  • 2 Post By Shreds
  • 2 Post By IAH
  • 1 Post By IAH
  • 3 Post By Erighan
  • 1 Post By Brazle

post #1 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
iNuke 6000dsp Setup with Dual 15" Sealed Ultimax Subs

Hello all. I just finished putting together my dual Ultimax 15" subs and I'm about to begin painting and then hook up all the wiring and amp.

This is my first ever DIY build and I've never used pro amps before, so looking for some guidance. I've done a bunch of Google searches, but can't find a comprehensive guide (may not exist).

I need help with the iNuke settings as well as a guide on tuning. Also, started reading about REW but got overwhelmed quickly.

If anyone can provide some basic guidance for a complete noob, that would be awesome. In the meantime, I'll keep reading up.

If it helps, the subs are going into a room that's roughly 3500cf. AVR is a Denon X2200W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 522
This thread is useless without pictures of the subs!
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
This thread is useless without pictures of the subs! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Touche. I'll get right on that when I get home later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erighan View Post
I need help with the iNuke settings as well as a guide on tuning. Also, started reading about REW but got overwhelmed quickly.
You need to get REW working with a mic and post a graph of the frequency response at your listening position first before anyone can help you here.

Use the amp's front knobs to set sub levels with a test tone as a coarse adjustment and then fine tune with the AVR's sub trim control. You'll need an SPL meter for that. REW has an SPL meter built into it if you have a mic.

Also yes, post many pics.
RobertChicken and Mike Butny like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
You'll need an SPL meter for that. REW has an SPL meter built into it if you have a mic
Thx. Do you have recommendation on SPL and/or mic for someone starting out? And just for clarification, is it best to use the built in SPL with REW, or is there a better option?
post #6 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Depends on the quality of your mic vs. the quality of the SPL meter. What is your budget for a mic?
post #7 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You should definitely check out the REW beginners guide if haven't. I have just started using REW and this guide has helped immensely! It's in post #275 in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...et-graphs.html

The microphone to get is either a UMIK-1 (most popular), or a Dayton UMM-6.
RobertChicken and cardoski like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Depends on the quality of your mic vs. the quality of the SPL meter. What is your budget for a mic?
Cost isn't a huge concern, but don't want to spend too much on something I won't need. Just looking for necessary tools/gear to get me started.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 10:15 AM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This is also a very basic/easy to use guide for using REW to apply eq to your subs with an inuke amplifier:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...rew-inuke.html

And, of course, there is mtg90's guide for integrateing your subs with your mains, once you have learned the basics of REW and the inuke:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ow-thread.html
talon95tsi likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-14-2018, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAH View Post
This is also a very basic/easy to use guide for using REW to apply eq to your subs with an inuke amplifier:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...rew-inuke.html

And, of course, there is mtg90's guide for integrateing your subs with your mains, once you have learned the basics of REW and the inuke:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ow-thread.html

Much appreciated. Will read through those posts.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Here are pics as promised
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0522_1516019635752.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2345810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0525_1516019662369.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2345812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0526_1516019689175.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2345814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0523_1516019705009.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2345816  
post #12 of 23 Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am considering a similar setup, but have the same lack of experience as you. Please let us know how it turns out.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 489
dont forget to use fill for the sub, with sealed it helps lower the qtc and smooth response

with a umik and rew....about 90 delivered i think for the umik from madisound, you will have it tuned up in no time sealed is easy. finding out where to put it in the room takes much longer, and the mic is indispensable in helping locate and fine tune where they go.

finish the sub, then find the placement that gives the best response averaged across your couch or listening area, then use dsp to fine tune. placement takes the longest but is well worth it. having multiple seats sound great and similar is really amazing
post #14 of 23 Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all.

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my subs. Had some issues with the t-nut screws, see here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...timax-box.html

Ok, so I don't have REW or a mic yet (coming in a few weeks), but would like to at least hook them up and make sure there are no air leaks or other unforeseen issues. Before I hook them up, I want to make sure I'm doing everything the right way.

I have the Denon AVR-x2200W receiver with 2 sub connections. This is a 7.2 channel receiver, so I'm assuming I should connect the inuke to both sub channels? Or am I better off using the bi-amp1 mode, so both subs use the same settings?

Now, what about the initial inukes settings without using REW? Are there any threads with a step-by-step guide?

Sorry for the noob questions, just overly concerned with doing something stupid and damaging the subs.

Thanks all
post #15 of 23 Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Yea! Hook them up. You don't need REW or a Mic to get some good bass going, though it doesn't hurt.

If your subs are on top of each other or next to another, you can use one sub out and just bi-amp to use the same settings. But if they are in different locations, I would use both sub outs, and use separate channels and settings on the amp. (I would use two separate channels all the way)

Your sealed setup is nice and easy because you don't need a High Pass Filter or anything like that. You might not really need a limiter, but if you are unsure you can just set the limiter in the I nuke settings for 800watts or whatever it is the subs are rated at.

If you are a bit careful, just set it up and go. If you tend to push things and like pile driving bass, then just take it easy, listen to the subs for any noise or smells out of the ordinary, if you do hear something, back it off.
smcmillan2 likes this.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
post #16 of 23 Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Hello all.

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my subs. Had some issues with the t-nut screws, see here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...timax-box.html

Ok, so I don't have REW or a mic yet (coming in a few weeks), but would like to at least hook them up and make sure there are no air leaks or other unforeseen issues. Before I hook them up, I want to make sure I'm doing everything the right way.

I have the Denon AVR-x2200W receiver with 2 sub connections. This is a 7.2 channel receiver, so I'm assuming I should connect the inuke to both sub channels? Or am I better off using the bi-amp1 mode, so both subs use the same settings?

Now, what about the initial inukes settings without using REW? Are there any threads with a step-by-step guide?

Sorry for the noob questions, just overly concerned with doing something stupid and damaging the subs.

Thanks all
Personally I would only connect Sub-1 out from the Denon to the inuke. You'll be using the inuke's DSP for the subs so Audyssey won't be of any benefit.

Turn the "gain" knobs all the way clockwise (these aren't gain, they're input signal attenuators). Assuming the inuke's settings are still at default, run Audyssey and adjust to taste.

Not much more you can do until you have taken REW sweeps and understand what you're getting from the subs.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #17 of 23 Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazle View Post
Yea! Hook them up. You don't need REW or a Mic to get some good bass going, though it doesn't hurt.

If your subs are on top of each other or next to another, you can use one sub out and just bi-amp to use the same settings. But if they are in different locations, I would use both sub outs, and use separate channels and settings on the amp. (I would use two separate channels all the way)

Your sealed setup is nice and easy because you don't need a High Pass Filter or anything like that. You might not really need a limiter, but if you are unsure you can just set the limiter in the I nuke settings for 800watts or whatever it is the subs are rated at.

If you are a bit careful, just set it up and go. If you tend to push things and like pile driving bass, then just take it easy, listen to the subs for any noise or smells out of the ordinary, if you do hear something, back it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Personally I would only connect Sub-1 out from the Denon to the inuke. You'll be using the inuke's DSP for the subs so Audyssey won't be of any benefit.

Turn the "gain" knobs all the way clockwise (these aren't gain, they're input signal attenuators). Assuming the inuke's settings are still at default, run Audyssey and adjust to taste.

Not much more you can do until you have taken REW sweeps and understand what you're getting from the subs.
So it sounds like either option would work?
post #18 of 23 Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So it sounds like either option would work?
Yep, either will work. As Brazle mentioned you probably want to apply a limiter (I don't know the UM-15 RMS), and just go easy on them initially. If Audyssey has trouble picking up the subs you'll probably need to boost the gain in the inuke (not the front knobs, but in the software or on the front LCD panel).

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

post #19 of 23 Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I finally have everything working! Speakers sound great for my mortal ears. However, I'm still perplexed about this iNuke thingamajig

Some questions...

1. Should I care about the limiter lights on the front OTHER than the red one. The 3 orange lights are obnoxious and I want to cover them up. Any reason why I shouldn't?

2. I've tried accessing the DSP software, but I can't get it to connect to the amp. I've tried all my USB ports and downloaded the firmware, but nothing seems to work. And yes, I've restarted and unplugged cables multiple times...any thoughts?

3. Since I can't access the DSP at this point, what setting on the LCD screen allows me to set the power limits?

4. Do you guys leave the amp on 24/7? This thing is loud (still need to do fan mod) and I rather power it off when not being used? Is there an elegant way to power cycle the amp using a remote? I have Alexa...so would a wemo type power plug work?

Thanks again
post #20 of 23 Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Ok, so I finally have everything working! Speakers sound great for my mortal ears. However, I'm still perplexed about this iNuke thingamajig

Some questions...

1. Should I care about the limiter lights on the front OTHER than the red one. The 3 orange lights are obnoxious and I want to cover them up. Any reason why I shouldn't?

2. I've tried accessing the DSP software, but I can't get it to connect to the amp. I've tried all my USB ports and downloaded the firmware, but nothing seems to work. And yes, I've restarted and unplugged cables multiple times...any thoughts?

3. Since I can't access the DSP at this point, what setting on the LCD screen allows me to set the power limits?

4. Do you guys leave the amp on 24/7? This thing is loud (still need to do fan mod) and I rather power it off when not being used? Is there an elegant way to power cycle the amp using a remote? I have Alexa...so would a wemo type power plug work?

Thanks again
For number 4....
I used to turn mine on and off manually.Now I use a smart power strip.Works great, the Inuke comes on and goes off with the AV receiver via remote.

Do the fan mod as soon as you can.It makes a world of difference.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-03-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
Get the CSL UMIK-1, not the miniDSP UMIK-1, and don't get the Dayton UMM-6 at all.

I mean, you can... but it won't be as good.

A sweep at 90db should be enough for subs, perhaps 75db for speakers just to save your hearing.

REW has a help file with step by step instructions. Or ask Dr. Google.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-03-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Some questions...

Have you tried other cables? I've run the software on a Virtualbox VM on my HTPC using USB passthrough and on my laptop, haven't had an issue. Are all your ports USB 3? That may have something to do with it. What version of Windoze are you running?

Quote:

Thanks again
Like markg35 I use smart power strips. I have read here in the forums that the 6000[DSP] don't deal with the smart strips as well (loud "thump" when they turn off). I haven't experienced that with the 1000DSP or 3000DSP that I use.

ETA: Congrats on your first builds, glad to hear you like them so far!

post #23 of 23 Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Thanks again
1. don't worry about those other 3 lights, the orange ones. They are only level lights to show what level of power the amp has outputting. They're not limiter lights, only the red one is. Get all your levels set before you cover those lights though.

2. Keep trying. it is a bit finicky. Maybe there is something in the software you can click on like "connect to device" or something

3. The amp should have come with a manual, if not you can download the PDF that should tell you how to do that.

4. I leave mine on most of the time, it's a bit loud. I'll get around to the fan mod sometime

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page