Fusion 8 or Fusion 6? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
The designer of the HTM-8...
I was really hoping Eric would chime in.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3904 Post(s)
Liked: 3078
The HTM-8 is intriguing for a fairly compact speaker with roughly the same internal volume as the Fusion-8. For those who prefer having the compression driver handling more of the frequency range the use of a DNA-325 and SEOS-10 crossed over at a relatively low 1300Hz might be preferable to the Fusion-8's DNA-205 with EOS-8 crossed over at a much higher 2500Hz. In addition to the comparison photo with the HTM-10 and HTM-12 we actually know the following details thanks to Matt's post in the DIYSG forum:

Quote:
Cabinet is 12.5" wide x 16.75" high x 7.5" deep

Sensitivity is 94dB @ 2.83v

Crossover is 1300Hz approximately 24dB/octave electrical

+-3dB from 60Hz to 18.5kHz
post #33 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
I hope the new site has a write up for each speaker by the designer, measurements and recommended use. The site should make now assumptions about the end user other than they are a hobbyist wanting to diy speakers. It should be able to sell kits without word of mouth/forum activity. Just my .02 of unsolicited advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
My friends and buddies love the sound of my Fusion 10's--but they always ask that typical question that "normal" people ask: "Does it come in anything smaller?"
It would be nice to see a Fusion 6 Quad for the ultimate WAF speaker. I think 4 6.5s would be as good as we can get while accommodating most people in a tower format. Not sure how much interest there would be in it. I think it'd be good option for a lot of people although I don't know how the core group would feel about that.
post #35 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
I hope the new site has a write up for each speaker by the designer, measurements and recommended use. The site should make now assumptions about the end user other than they are a hobbyist wanting to diy speakers. It should be able to sell kits without word of mouth/forum activity. Just my .02 of unsolicited advice.
I can only put stuff up on the site if I have it. From the beginning it was supposed to be community driven for ideas, word of mouth, and forum activity. If that wasn't there, the site would never have been started. I've mentioned that I'm not a web guy, a writer, or a photographer. Basically we have ideas for speakers, if they get done, I put them up on the site. If they don't get reviewed or get ordered, they come down from the site. When kits are priced low the incentive to continue them doesn't come from profit, it comes from people reviewing them and word of mouth.

Right now the new site isn't going to have more write ups and measurements for each speaker than the current site has unless I can get or find the info pretty easy. Anyone can help with that because I barely have time to take photos of kits and write up a quick blurb about them......which is why there's still no picture of a 1299 kit or Titan kit or Alchemy with new woofers, etc. If you know where to find more info on any kit listed on the site, save the photos, write a quick sentence about it and send it my way and I'll upload everything to the product page.

I have a feeling some people are going to be disappointed with the new site if they're expecting kits to have new never before seen data. The new site just looks cleaner overall. Heck, I'm still changing categories because I'm not 100% sure how to organize it. But because it doesn't matter that much, it's getting moved over this weekend no matter what. Things can get ironed out and improved later.
BBrinkman and Saber008 like this.

post #36 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
It would be nice to see a Fusion 6 Quad for the ultimate WAF speaker. I think 4 6.5s would be as good as we can get while accommodating most people in a tower format. Not sure how much interest there would be in it. I think it'd be good option for a lot of people although I don't know how the core group would feel about that.

A Quad-6 has been on the list for a few years. The issue is size versus efficiency, cost, and bass response. Not sure what people want. Maximum speaker depth? Rear ported? 80hz okay for a cutoff? Target cost? 99db or 91db efficiency?

post #37 of 43 Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
A Quad-6 has been on the list for a few years. The issue is size versus efficiency, cost, and bass response. Not sure what people want. Maximum speaker depth? Rear ported? 80hz okay for a cutoff? Target cost? 99db or 91db efficiency?
Target Goal would be a WAF speaker that still delivers great performance at a cost that we can easily recommend people for those who refuse to do things like buy big woofers! The 4 6.5s would deliver on the woofer cone space in a compact "tower" "WAF" design.

80 hz ok for cut off I think but I mean generally the way these speakers are designed I don't think that's ever a real issue
efficiency anything above 94 if possible while still being "budget" like the Fusion 4 Quad.

Max Speaker Depth Err Overthinking this =D
Rear Ported? Depends on how the flat pack design is. If it's easier/more cost effective to do front port, then front port.

Hope that helps and if anyone else agrees with what that speaker should entail.

I think the Fusion 4 Quad is clearly an amazing speaker, so a slightly larger version of it in a TWWWW if possible.

$450 max, but I mean, like you've said before, this is dependent on the drivers you find. If you find drivers that make it $460 then I mean.... do it....
If you find drivers that make it work at like $300 a pair, then why would we want to pay more!

All about whether it's something you want to invest time in, and I completely understand if there are more interesting things on the horizon to do.

I don't know your process of course.
post #38 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding the site, should we email you proposed changes? I'd like to try to explain the driver/speaker selection thing once I see the new site in a FAQ.

A lot of newcomers, myself included, get analysis paralsys and try to optimize between extremely similar choices. Fusion 8 / HTM 8 vs Cinema 8 vs 893 or something.

A larger, "better" speaker may use a "cheaper" driver because that's the best choice for the speaker design.

Things like this need to just be on the site in a spot where people can read it, so that your time isn't wasted.

That's the main thing I'd want to see out of a site design. Changes in which questions you frequently answer are on the site, so you can focus on the parts of your project you enjoy. If you need help with doing that, I'm happy to email my noob FAQ attempt, and have you clean it up and proof it.

Finally, if you don't mind, I think we can get more "reviews" of speakers on the site by quoting posts from AVS Forum and linking to the thread/relevant topics. I don't mind submitting some of those to you like the one for the Fusion 4 Quad where in the GTG it'sin the upper room and is critically accalimed as an amazing choice. Even reading that again, I know you aren't a marketing type, but the Fusion 4 Quad should be the first speaker we recommend to a person who is looking to come from a WAF Consumer choice.
Take a Fusion 4 Quad at $300 vs Polk Monitor 70s or any other $300 pair of speakers (and the monitor 70s are that price on a great sale) and the Fusion 4 Quad will dismantle them thoroughly no questions asked. Although I'm sure you're loath to make such a claim, I think the reviews on the site from here should speak to that and I'm sure I can find those to create a "testimonials" page.

Just some food for thought @Erich H
post #39 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 913
@Erich H

Would you consider an incentive to leave a review? Maybe a $5-10 coupon code? Or possibly a less popular option of charging an extra $5-10 that you would get credited back after leaving a review?

People love coupon codes.
EarlK likes this.
post #40 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Buying reviews is a slippery slope and I wouldn't go down it. A small coupon code for a review is one thing, but a deposit requiring a review for return doesn't seem like a good idea.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #41 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Quote:
I can only put stuff up on the site if I have it. From the beginning it was supposed to be community driven for ideas, word of mouth, and forum activity. If that wasn't there, the site would never have been started. I've mentioned that I'm not a web guy, a writer, or a photographer. Basically we have ideas for speakers, if they get done, I put them up on the site. If they don't get reviewed or get ordered, they come down from the site. When kits are priced low the incentive to continue them doesn't come from profit, it comes from people reviewing them and word of mouth.

Right now the new site isn't going to have more write ups and measurements for each speaker than the current site has unless I can get or find the info pretty easy. Anyone can help with that because I barely have time to take photos of kits and write up a quick blurb about them......which is why there's still no picture of a 1299 kit or Titan kit or Alchemy with new woofers, etc. If you know where to find more info on any kit listed on the site, save the photos, write a quick sentence about it and send it my way and I'll upload everything to the product page.

I have a feeling some people are going to be disappointed with the new site if they're expecting kits to have new never before seen data. The new site just looks cleaner overall. Heck, I'm still changing categories because I'm not 100% sure how to organize it. But because it doesn't matter that much, it's getting moved over this weekend no matter what. Things can get ironed out and improved later.
As a product manager it is my job to look what it will take for a business I'm managing to succeed (max revenue). My comments were without emotion and came from that perspective. Hope you didn't take my comments as negative criticism.
post #42 of 43 Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@Eric H

I'm a photographer and I do all the product photography for LensProToGo.com maybe we could work something out where I could shoot some product photos for you?
post #43 of 43 Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Fusion 8 or Fusion 6?

Quote:
The Cinema-8's were put up on the site about 4 years ago. It took that long for a very small run of flat packs/baffles to get depleted. They rarely got built by anyone and with only 4 reviews I'm just not sure if it makes sense to do another run of them. The cabinet company doubled their minimum order, so at the current rate it would take 8 years to sell the next run. That's a gamble when there are only 4 reviews. To me it makes sense to guess why it didn't get ordered very often and make changes. But it's all a guessing game without input from other people. Too big? Too heavy? Funky look? The designer and I just weren't sure.

None of the Karma models did good because they were priced so low and people just went with the Fusions instead. There were probably 4 or 6 Karma-10's ever built, probably 4. The Karma-12 and 15 were done but never got introduced because the 8" and 10" didn't get ordered enough. Kind of a bummer.

I built a pair of Fusion-8's in 2014, ordered the Cinema-8's Sept-2014 for RCL in family room.

Well, life git busy and I finished them in veneer over summer/fall 2017, some pictures here.

A) The Fusion-8's were my RL for 3 years, they played loud and clean, now they are the rear surrounds.

B) The Cinema-8's and Fusion-8's take my family room HT to a level it's never been at. Clean, clear, high spl , awesome imaging.

Kudos to the designer and DIYSG for these.

Build link here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1617026-combo-family-room-outdoor-ht-diy-speakers-2.html#post55195866

It’s easier to upload photos directly via Tapatalk, here’s some
View of fusion-8’s as rear surrounds, they are angled down and toed in

Front view of cinema-8’s.... yea corner layout trade offs here, but it works

View behind rear LH surround

Rear right surround

Cinema-8, but they were called fusion-8 MTM I believe back in 2014

Btw, I’m at 5.1.2 here, using some old Atlantic Technology 350’s rewired as bi-poles for the TM’s hanging off that tie beam.
Plan is volt-8’s there next few months.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 01-22-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page