Time for GIANT boxes - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #31 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 342
It's official, this build is starting! I am having the MDF cut down by a local lumber yard to make my life a little easier. This will cut down slightly on the dust, but also assure that everything is 100% square. Plus since my project car is still in the garage (and not driveable) it would be a real pain in the ass working with the full sheets by myself out there. So I dropped off my cut list to the shop last night, and hope to pick it up tomorrow (maybe today). I also ordered another port, and an extension so I can have 4 ports that are the proper length. That should all be here tomorrow.

I decided to make this slightly more complicated, and am doing a rabbet edge on both joining edges. It will make like a step at all of the seams, and means I need to router every edge. The end pieces will be a normal rabbet just to keep it a little less complicated. Anyway, the plan is to take the piece into the garage, router the appropriate step into each edge, and then bring it into the basement for assembly. This should come together rather quickly, I want it up and running this weekend!

Stay tuned for the good stuff soon!!!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
post #33 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Buy some Walmart pillows!
So I can rest comfortably after I build it?

But seriously, how/were do I stuff them? What about poly fill since I have a whole box of that already? Remember I have two 4" ports on either side pointing left and right.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Time for GIANT boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
So I can rest comfortably after I build it?

But seriously, how/were do I stuff them? What about poly fill since I have a whole box of that already? Remember I have two 4" ports on either side pointing left and right.

Sean

Polyfil is fine but if you have ports on each end then I don't think you can use it. Can't block the path to the ports. I think if you do get that resonance you treat it with EQ.

Edit. Actually I'd pack it in around the ports, depending on the port length that could work.
post #35 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 548 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 5006
Lay a pillow inside it to break up the standing waves. Don’t block the air flow inside that’s why I’m suggesting to Kay the pillow down. I would first have it at the 1/4 points inside to start. Design your bracing around that or staple the pillow down.
post #36 of 94 Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Plus since my project car is still in the garage (and not driveable)

Sean
I know what that's all about too! Looking forward to the build. Out of curiosity, which 21" do you have?
post #37 of 94 Old 05-09-2018, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am saying. He is a drawing of the box showing the ports (minus the flares, but you get the point).

What I am asking is would I put a pillow below the ports, above the ports, between the ports? If I did polyfill I could actually fill the whole space all around the ports. If I go with a pillow, or with polyfill, how do I know where along the box it should be? I have never built a box that had a standing wave I needed to worry about before, so I am concerned and lost. HELP!

@drewp29 , I am actually not sure who makes it. It was a prototype for DIY Sound Group that they gave away at a get together a while back. My buddy won it, we built it a box, and then his wife said no so now I have it.

Sean
post #38 of 94 Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #39 of 94 Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That was kind of what I was thinking. Should I just jam as much as I can in those areas?

Sean
post #40 of 94 Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
@drewp29 , I am actually not sure who makes it. It was a prototype for DIY Sound Group that they gave away at a get together a while back. My buddy won it, we built it a box, and then his wife said no so now I have it.

Sean
Ah, alright, I know that thread!
post #41 of 94 Old 05-09-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:
I'd pack the area's I scribbled in red with polyfill.

I think even the best materials are only truly effective down to about 125 Hz. Don't sweat it too much, and hope for the best.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #42 of 94 Old 05-10-2018, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I hate to disappoint, but the wood wasn't ready yesterday. My dog was not feeling well, so I actually left work early to check up on him. I was hoping I was also able to grab the wood and get a better jump start on everything too, but I called and it wasn't ready. They said it will be done today, so I will grab it after work. By the way, my dog seems much better today.

Since everyone always loves pics, I will throw some up of another side project that goes along with this. I decided to paint the iNuke amps black since the silver looks way out of place to me. This is just the new one that is destined for the 21. Once this one is done I will do the same to my other amp that is powering the infinity's.

Guts! (iNuke 3000 DSP)

I am going to remove the handles too while I am at it since mine are not in a rack.

I went with a satin black finish

It isn't the best paint job ever, but it should do the trick. It looked a bit better after the initial coat, but I missed the ends just a bit so I had to spay it again. I think amp number 2 will be better overall, and that one will go on top

I got my port parts yesterday too, not too exciting but here they are.

I also installed my dust collector onto my router base just to see how that goes together.

It is super nice, but I will be taking it on and off to swap it between my bases and when swapping the circle jigs. I am doing quite a bit of routering on this project. Speaking of, here is a pic showing how I am planning the joints along the long edges of the box.

That's all for now. Hopefully we will have some sawdust tonight!

Sean
post #43 of 94 Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I would be a little concerned with that 1/4 inch lip on MDF. Once glued it will be very strong, but you will need to be very careful with those edges while storing and moving those panels.
post #44 of 94 Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
I would be a little concerned with that 1/4 inch lip on MDF. Once glued it will be very strong, but you will need to be very careful with those edges while storing and moving those panels.
The last few boxes I have built I have done one rabbet down the edge that is 1/2" deep X 3/4" wide. That leaves a 1/4" X 3/4" lip on that piece, and (knock on wood) its been fine. On this box I am going to router and then bring it inside for assembly right away. I wont be moving them around a bunch, I will do them as I go to cut down on the risk of breaking an edge. That is a very good point though, and you do need to be careful with it.

On to some pics! I did not get a chance to do any routering last night since I got home later than I expected, but you can at least see everything all ready to go!

Everything all loaded up!

Here is everything unloaded. The three big pieces on the horses are the top/bottom/double baffle, the two smaller pieces are the front/back. On the ground the two pieces to the left are the ends, the four next to them are the braces, and the scrap is behind the jack.

Here is where it is going in my basement.

It will be just as far out into the room as the current boxes, but will be tight against the wall. The box will be the same height as the current boxes, but will be raised up 4". It will also be a about a foot wider than both of those.

All of the cuts seem to be spot on dimension too!

And last up, here is the amp all painted waiting for reaseembly

Plan is to start on it tonight and get it at least partly glued up. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. A friend of mine may swing by to give me a hand which would be great. Stay tuned!

Sean
eng-399, Boxozaxu and unretarded like this.
post #45 of 94 Old 05-11-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Just a quick thought, but while the amp is apart, if you wanted to add a bit of Window Tint to the LEDs to make them less bright, it would be a good time. Also same with the LCD screen.
Boxozaxu likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #46 of 94 Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Just a quick thought, but while the amp is apart, if you wanted to add a bit of Window Tint to the LEDs to make them less bright, it would be a good time. Also same with the LCD screen.
I would, but they are in a different room so its not an issue for me. Same goes for the loud fans, I only ever hear them when I am calibrating and sitting in the office where they are located. I kind of looked at changing out the LED's to get rid of the orange, but also not really worth it. I like the tint idea, as well as the O-ring to cover the light from around the knobs that I have seen before. My brother in law should look into that since his is located at the front of his room next to the screen.

Sean
post #47 of 94 Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
I would, but they are in a different room so its not an issue for me. Same goes for the loud fans, I only ever hear them when I am calibrating and sitting in the office where they are located. I kind of looked at changing out the LED's to get rid of the orange, but also not really worth it. I like the tint idea, as well as the O-ring to cover the light from around the knobs that I have seen before. My brother in law should look into that since his is located at the front of his room next to the screen.

Sean
Yeah, switching the color is a lot bigger pain than just adding window tint to the existing ones. They make little dots and whatnot you can use for super cheap, or you can buy a small piece and cut to your specific size

Also from a noise perspective, you can (in addition to the fan mod), likely add some dynamat to the top cover, maybe the sides, and fan shroud (if you dont just remove it entirely) to help reduce the noise even further.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #48 of 94 Old 05-12-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WHEW, what a damn day! First up, the dog is still sick so I had to take care of him today and also run to the vet for some meds. He doesn't seem as uncomfortable now that I got him eating rice and pumpkin and he's taking some meds.

Moving onto the sub project, lets just dive right in. I started by having the new dust collector on the plunge base thinking I could just use that the whole time. That failed miserably almost right away. I started on the end rabbet's and only one was the proper depth it lifted just a bit each successive cut. No big deal right, just swap over to the fixed base and keep it moving. WRONG! I spent over an hour trying to get the router out of the base!!!

I had to use a prybar and the pictured mallet to get it out. I almost just cut it out it was so bad. That was right around the time the pup was having some trouble and I had to call the vet and run over there. Not a great start to the day.

So once that was all sorted I ran a quick test to make sure everything was figured out right.

Once I knew it was all good, I ran all of the edges of everything. Then I needed to clear off my bar so I assembled my new black iNuke

Then I started moving everything inside and getting everything laid out for assembly.

Before I could start the glue up I had to cut the holes and the countersinks for the ports (I am not routering MDF in the house )

Those annoying little nibs from having to plunge the router down with the fixed base

And now comes the glue up! I just used wood glue and brad nails. I will probably run some PL along the seams just to really make everything solid and sealed.

Fits up pretty well

The strips on the top are the same dimension and routered the same as the bottom piece that will go in there. Just something to make sure that the front and back pieces don't bow in.

So far I am really happy with how its coming together. I am probably going to glue the baffles together tonight and then do the counter sink and the hole with them together. I just need to make sure my bits are long enough to make it though it all with no issue. I am 99% sure that is how we did the last box though, so I should be good to go. That is enough pics for you guys for one night. Stay tuned for more tomorrow! I still have to do the braces, two of which will probably also act as supports for the ports. Might see some fancy router work as long as things are going smoother.

Thanks for following along!

Sean
eng-399, Jk7.2, unretarded and 1 others like this.
post #49 of 94 Old 05-12-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice progress Sean! You completed in a few days what took me over a month to accomplish with my subs!
post #50 of 94 Old 05-12-2018, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nice progress Sean! You completed in a few days what took me over a month to accomplish with my subs!
Thanks! Its a lot of planning and prep work to make this part go fast. It would have gone quite a bit faster with a second set of hands, but oh well. I had really wanted to test it tomorrow, but that doesn't look likely.

Sean
post #51 of 94 Old 05-12-2018, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow lots of progress today on these the box is going to look great when it’s done. The router bit you used should make it strong with a few sides glued together. Looking forward to seeing more! Hope your dog gets better soon to
post #52 of 94 Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 137
if the amp is in another room, why did you paint it ?

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #53 of 94 Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Wow lots of progress today on these the box is going to look great when it’s done. The router bit you used should make it strong with a few sides glued together. Looking forward to seeing more! Hope your dog gets better soon to
Thanks! I ended up gluing up the double baffle as well before I called it quits. That took up all of my glue, so I am gonna have to make a run to the store for more today. The edges are just a rabbet bit set up two different ways. I just wanted to give it a bit more surface area for the glue to grab onto.

The dog seems much more normal today so far. It sucks having a sick dog because they cant tell you whats going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
if the amp is in another room, why did you paint it ?
Because I am a crazy I usually spend too much time making things that wont be seen super nice. I do this a lot on cars where I try really hard to make it look like nothing has been done. Its hard to explain, I just cant leave well enough alone. Also the equipment is in our office, so it isn't totally hidden away never to be seen.

Sean
post #54 of 94 Old 05-13-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Because I am a crazy I usually spend too much time making things that wont be seen super nice. I do this a lot on cars where I try really hard to make it look like nothing has been done. Its hard to explain, I just cant leave well enough alone. Also the equipment is in our office, so it isn't totally hidden away never to be seen.
fair enough
Broke EF likes this.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #55 of 94 Old 05-13-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
If you're assembling and gluing indoors, how are you going to paint it?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #56 of 94 Old 05-13-2018, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its update time!

I glued the baffle last night

Lined up pretty well

And today it was ready for work!

Chalk lines didn't work out, oh well thats why you double check

The came laying out the bracing

Then the big boy came out to do the counter sink and the hole for the driver

First pass

Countersink done. Its 1" wide, and 1/2" deep

Then, like magic it was a hole

Just a little 1/4" roundover on the inside edge

Almost killed myself trying to test fit it

Then it was time to make the braces

They are not 100% perfect, but they are inside the box so I can live with it. I knocked out the other two, rounded over all of the edges, and slapped them in

Then just for my own sanity I cut the ports to length and test fit them on each end

That's all for today. The garage is an absolute disaster area! There is still a lot to do, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping that I will be able to get the ports 100% installed tomorrow, then I can stuff the ends with polyfill. Then I can get a second set of hands to help put on the top (actually the bottom. I will probably put it on the ground for that to help make my life easier later on. I am not sure what I want to do for feet yet. I have some ideas, but I probably wont do anything until I take it outside to finish it. For the person who asked, I am planning on taking it back out to the garage to finish it. I was working by myself and had limited space in the garage that is why I built it in the room. With two people I will be able to move it around.

Thanks for following along!

Sean
post #57 of 94 Old 05-14-2018, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That's a piece of art! Are you sure you want to close the box?
post #58 of 94 Old 05-14-2018, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan3 View Post
That's a piece of art! Are you sure you want to close the box?
I wouldn't go that far, I have seen way WAY nicer builds on here. It is coming out pretty good though. I wish the braces were a bit cleaner, but it was my first time making them that way so it was a learning experience.

Sean
post #59 of 94 Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So who wants to come help clean this disaster area!?

It is amazing that is that bad considering I got this much dust with the collector.

For anyone wondering, I just have a dust deputy on a bucket with a small shop vac. I need to get a better hose setup with adapters so I can use it more. It worked great on the router when I was doing the rabbet along the edges. Doesn't get 100% of everything, but got most of it for sure. I didn't use it when I was doing the braces or the holes, and that is where all that mess came from

Anyway, for a bit of an update. I need to order another port extension, which is annoying. Two things happened, one it moved a bit when I went to make the last cut, and two the one piece is quite a bit shorter somehow. Not really the end of the world, but I wish I would have just gotten two from the start. The wife also got back last night, so now Ill have someone to help move it. Tonight I want to move it to the floor and get PL on all of the seams. I can do two of the ports for now until I get the new extension. Hopefully I can be bumping it later this week, this weekend the latest!

Sean
corradizo, eng-399 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #60 of 94 Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Crazy how much sawdust you get when cutting wood and using the router. Don’t get any of that saw dust on the LS you’ll be cleaning that engine for a while.
Broke EF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page