Time for GIANT boxes - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #61 of 93 Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Crazy how much sawdust you get when cutting wood and using the router. Don’t get any of that saw dust on the LS you’ll be cleaning that engine for a while.
Its insane, the router really makes the mess. I am going to invest in another dust collector so I can have it on both bases at all times. I am also going to get longer screws so I can have it mounted with the circle jig.

The LS (and everything else in my garage) is already covered with dust. It needed a good cleaning anyway though, so no worries there. I really need to get that thing together so I can pull it out of the garage when I do **** like this

Sean
Jk7.2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I use my leaf blower to clean off the cars. It's not a good idea to wipe sawdust off your car's paint.
Fabricator likes this.
post #63 of 93 Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is pretty much the plan. Suck up as much as I can with the dust collector, then leaf blower/air compressor blow off the rest. The car is going to get painted, so I am not overly worried about it, but I also wont wipe it down.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 93 Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
yeah, just wait for a windy day when the neighbors are not out, and a dust mask. then have at it.
i do all my cutting outside. i even roll my tablesaw out in the drive.
1st Cav, corradizo and Boxozaxu like this.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #65 of 93 Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
yeah, just wait for a windy day when the neighbors are not out, and a dust mask. then have at it.
i do all my cutting outside. i even roll my tablesaw out in the drive.
I actually built the last two boxes I did in the driveway. This was going to be way too much dust for that (there was at least 1/4" on everything), and it was raining both days. Before I do the other giant box I am going to get my dust collection set up sorted out better. It helped immensely, when I was actually using it. More importantly, before building the other box I need to get my garage "finished" so I can have way less clutter on the floor. Mudding and taping sucks, but it sucks a lot more when you have to move everything around to even get at a wall

Sean
post #66 of 93 Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not much of an update, but I did get it moved down near where it is going to live.

It is massive, but I think once its actually placed back against the wall and painted black it wont be too bad. I will say I am a bit disappointed that I will have to raise my screen up. I may not need to go the whole 4", but we were watching Westworld last night and I was thinking I have it at a really good height now. Oh well, it needs MOAR BASS!!!!

Sean

P.S. For anyone wondering, the dog made a miraculous recovery once my wife got back home. All hes done since she got back was cuddle with her, and he is back to his normal goofy self.
JCJetta, corradizo and Pradeep2 like this.
post #67 of 93 Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
Mudding and taping sucks, but it sucks a lot more when you have to move everything around to even get at a wall

yeah, i know. i gutted my whole house, plaster & lathe. new everything, then the drywall.
try doing it in the place where you live, while you are living there.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #68 of 93 Old 05-17-2018, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
yeah, i know. i gutted my whole house, plaster & lathe. new everything, then the drywall.
try doing it in the place where you live, while you are living there.
I have done some of that, but not gutting it like that. Ill pass on doing that while living there. A good friend of mine bought a 104 year old house and gutted it down to the studs everywhere except one bathroom, one bedroom, and the kitchen. Then they had a kid shortly after that. Two Chicago winters without any insulation in any of the walls...

Sean
post #69 of 93 Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Small update while I am here. I went over all of the seams last night with PL. I ended up using an entire tube for just that! My other extension should be here today, so I will be able to glue up and install those. I guess as soon as I have those in I can close it up I may be able to make some noise tonight!!!!

Sean
corradizo likes this.
post #70 of 93 Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Can't wait to hear your impressions!
post #71 of 93 Old 05-18-2018, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
Can't wait to hear your impressions!
I can't wait either!! Unfortunately I thought I had glue for the ports at home and I did not. It was too late by the time I realized it though so nothing got assembled last night. I did cut the new port extension down, and dry fit the baffle which went right into place

The sub looks small in the box. The wife says it looks like I built a coffin, and she wants to get a pic of me laying next to it when its done. That's all for now, should have a few pics tonight for you guys.

Sean
post #72 of 93 Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
I can't wait either!! Unfortunately I thought I had glue for the ports at home and I did not. It was too late by the time I realized it though so nothing got assembled last night. I did cut the new port extension down, and dry fit the baffle which went right into place

The sub looks small in the box. The wife says it looks like I built a coffin, and she wants to get a pic of me laying next to it when its done. That's all for now, should have a few pics tonight for you guys.

Sean

Coffin sub! Great for funeral homes when the dead loved their bass!
Broke EF likes this.
post #73 of 93 Old 05-19-2018, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It is almost time to test thing thing out!!! Last night I got the ports all glued up and installed

Then I stuffed pollyfill on both ends between the outer most brace and the sides. Unfortunately I totally forgot to snap a pic of that Then I used an entire tube of PL on all of the edges and put the baffle on!

The old subs helping to keep some weight on it all while it sets up. This morning I already scraped off the excess glue. Next up I need to wire up the new amp, wire the sub, and move it back into position. I haven't built legs for it yet (maybe today/tomorrow) so for now its going to be how it is sitting currently (up firing), just pushed back toward the wall. I am also going to put the other two boxes in the back of my room and run all 4 in their current boxes for now.

I sure hope it sounds good!
Sean
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #74 of 93 Old 05-20-2018, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wasn't able to get over here to give you guys an update yesterday, it was a pretty busy day. I was actually able to make some noise yesterday, but that is getting ahead of myself. Lets start with moving the box into is actual home

She's big and heavy, but sturdy After I got it moved, and wired up I spent pretty much the rest of my time fighting issues. First I was thinking that the amp wasn't putting out the right power. There was a lot of checking and messing around. Just as I was about to swap the amps to see if it was a bad amp I decided to try EoT and see what it did with a actual movie. The wife freaked out, I grabbed the camera and convinced her I had to do it again...

Yes, I know it was over doing it (by a lot) but its OK so no harm. Anyway, after I knew the amp was working right and I was just overthinking (as usual) I tried to set up for some REW. That is when I ran into an issue with the mic and my HTPC not wanting to work together. I have always done it the same way, so not sure why it suddenly didn't want to work, but I spent a bunch of time on it before I abandoned all hope and grabbed the lap top. This was my first sweep with just the 21, no filters or EQ.

I am fairly sure this was the 21 with my two rear subs turned on (with whatever EQ they normally have)

That was all, I was out of time. I had cookies to bake, and I was bouncing between that and moving/wiring the other two subs to the back of the room. I got it all done just in time to leave for the night.

On to today where I spent the morning getting things a little more finalized. Nothing too exciting, just cleaning up some wiring, and whatnot. It was then time to start getting this flattened out. I decided to work on the the rears first. Here is the before, with no filters or EQ, just all 4 subs on.

This was the after (the second time, more on that in a sec)

Like I said, I started on the rear and I had gotten it really good. I moved to the front got that decent and then tried to do both. That was when I realized that all of the settings the amp cleared out! I spent another hour dialing it all in again (the chart above) and saved it all (and took pics). It all got wiped out AGAIN, but it was saved this time so it was OK. No idea why it did that, but now it seems fine so whatever I guess. I also rolled the 12's off at 20hz since the 21 was so strong on the low end. I figured that was probably a good way to go about it?

Moving on, lets look at the front (21") before

And here was the after.

I actually tweaked this quite a bit after I brought the rears back into the mix. Unfortunately I never ran it alone after I had it dialed in, but you get the idea.

Here is the final result of hours of sweeps

Here is my before and after for all of the sub

I am not thrilled with the drop off down low, so I will probably try to get that back next time I mess with it but it is good enough for now. Here are a few pics of everything before I give my opinion.

(so beat looking)

The black is SO MUCH better! I am going to pull apart the other one and paint it soon

I still need to make feet for the new box so it can down fire (and screw up all my settings), which I will probably tackle this week/weekend since I want my center back! Overall its BAD ASS!!!! It is adjusted pretty close to how loud I ran my old subs, so it isn't drastically different for a lot of things. When it gets low though, watch out! So much more authority down low, and a LOT more tactile response across the board. I have a lot more headroom, so one of these days I will really crank it up and see what it can do. When I made that EOT clip the screen was going crazy, and my wife heard the neighbors say "What the hell was that?!" I need to get my demo settings to that level.

Thats long enough for now, thanks for following along! There is still more to come with this box, and the new box for the 12's in the back of the room!

Sean
Fabricator, eng-399 and Jk7.2 like this.
post #75 of 93 Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Awesome
Broke EF likes this.
post #76 of 93 Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Awesome
Thanks!

Man, one response eh guys? I guess Ill have to turn it all up and get a nice flat response at 120+db!

Sean
post #77 of 93 Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Thanks!

Man, one response eh guys? I guess Ill have to turn it all up and get a nice flat response at 120+db!

Sean
I'm waiting to feel it in IN.... then I will comment

But it looks awesome! And your graphs look quite nice. Glad you got the response you wanted. Waiting to see what you do with the 1260's

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #78 of 93 Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
post #79 of 93 Old 05-22-2018, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I'm waiting to feel it in IN.... then I will comment

But it looks awesome! And your graphs look quite nice. Glad you got the response you wanted. Waiting to see what you do with the 1260's
Thanks!

This isn't Mikes system, I only have 1 large sub

I need to play around with everything more, but it seems like I will be able to build a box for them with a bit higher tune. If I can build them into a box with a port tune of around 30hz I think that would work well. It would make the box smaller than what LTD02 had come up with originally. Regardless it will be nice to gain some space behind the bar. Whatever I end up doing, it will only be ~12" deep instead of the 16" they are now.

I really need to figure out how I am going to finish both boxes. I am guessing I will end up doing duratex which I have never used before. Ill have to keep my eye on some of the finishes Ill see at Mikes G2G.

Sean
post #80 of 93 Old 05-22-2018, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 248
The measurements look fantastic. Are you not planning on going with a house curve?
post #81 of 93 Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
The measurements look fantastic. Are you not planning on going with a house curve?
Well two things. One, I still need to flip the sub over (it's meant to down fire) after I build the legs for it. I haven't spent a lot of time tweaking it because of that. The bulk of my time was spent on the rear subs since they will stay like that for a while. Two, I have never really had a house curve. I usually get it as flat as I can, and will just turn it up a bit if I want more. I guess that is kind of a house curve, but I never really boost anything just bring it all up some. I usually have my "normal" settings which is what you see there. Then I have my "action movie" settings which are just turned up a couple clicks. Then I have my "Demo" settings, which is everything turned all the way up.

I should have the feet made up this weekend, but not 100% sure how much time I will have to mess with everything. Believe me, there is a LOT more left in this setup. It is barely doing anything right now, and you saw the EOT clip

Also, I pulled apart my old iNuke last night to get it painted up today.

Not too exciting, but something I guess. I really need to figure out where these guys are going to live as well.

Sean
post #82 of 93 Old 05-29-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Long weekend means updates! Started by finishing painting the amp and getting it back together.

Then I got back to making a mess in my garage!

I made up all the pieces that would become the feet for the box

Dry fitting them real quick

My table saw isn't 100% square, so they were all very slightly off which is annoying. Really once I finish everything and paint it nobody will ever know though, so oh well.

Checking the surround to floor clerence

Figuring out the layout

First row done! I got better as I went for sure

Here is a close up of one of the later feet (on the first row) all done

All 8 in place! You can see two of them needed a bit of help

Got it flipped over, this thing is HEAVY!!!

And moved back into place. I actually didn't end up having to raise my screen! I am super pumped about that since I was really happy with the height.

That was all for home audio this weekend. I was busy building other things, and cooking to be able to get the mic out for any measurements. If I don't get to that this week, I will for sure do that over the weekend. It sounded great though, not really sure it changed much. That's all for now!

Sean
BCRSS likes this.
post #83 of 93 Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its update time! My wife decided to throw a Halloween party, so that kicked me into gear to finally finish this sub 100%. Lets just dive right into the pics.

I tricked my scrawniest friend to help carry this thing out to my garage after a failed attempt at sanding it in the room.

Wasn't the worst thing ever, but got it out to the garage and set up on some horses. My garage was also under construction throughout this whole process so you will see things moving around a lot.

All ready to sand! I bought this sander just for this project since my Makita sander has a crappy dust collector hookup. I have to say this setup worked fantastic!

Filled and primed. It needed very little filler (which I am proud of) and probably didn't need any primer.

First coat of DuraTex on the bottom. I ended up getting some 4" rollers to do the feet. I ended up with just one coat on the bottom with some touch ups where needed.

Probably should have done this sooner, but drilled the countersink for the speakon connector.

(Yes, I painted over this with the DuraTex)

Flipped it over for sanding on the top

First coat

Second coat

The next day I started building the cables for my front speakers. I didn't have enough of the right size cable pants, so I ordered more and they should be here tomorrow.

Those last two pics make me angry about having paid someone to mud/tape and paint my basement. Live and learn I guess. Anyway, it was then time for the wife and I to bring this thing back inside. We took a break in the kitchen.

And down into the room!

I got two rows of gasket tape put on.

And dropped the sub in after wiring up the speakon and pressing it in place.

So as I said I am waiting on the cable pants to make the wire for the sub and the center. I am also waiting on some black #6 screws for the speakon connector even though its pressed in. Hopefully all of that comes tomorrow and I have some time tomorrow or the following day to get everything done and get some measurements. It should be good as is, but I want to verify everything is the same and also see if I can make it any better.

Next home theater project is likely going to be some sound panels. I really want to build the new enclosure for the rear subs, but I have no idea when that may happen. I am a little upset that we are going to have people over with them looking how they do right now. Oh well, at least it all sounds good

Sean
post #84 of 93 Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep it flipped up like that and do some fun stuff w the driver for the party (put popcorn or candy on it then run test times through lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #85 of 93 Old 10-23-2018, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Keep it flipped up like that and do some fun stuff w the driver for the party (put popcorn or candy on it then run test times through lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats more fun, bouncing **** with the driver, or blowing stuff around with the ports?!

Sean
post #86 of 93 Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whats more fun, bouncing **** with the driver, or blowing stuff around with the ports?!

Sean
Well you gotta impress them to start with the size of the driver and make it bounce stuff around.... then get them (before the "beverages" kick in) to help you flip it and then rotate it and blow paper/sleeping bag with the port air lol......

post #87 of 93 Old 10-24-2018, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got her back into place last night.

Made up a new cable

Installed the screws in the terminal

Almost a bit short on the cable!

And back in place with my center (also made up a new cable for the center as well last night)

I didn't really have time to do much after I got everything back in. I did listen to a little of the race scene from Ready Player One, and MAN did I miss my sub!!! I love how it looks now as well. It disappears when the lights are off, but looks really nice when the lights are on. I REALLY want to build the new box for the back subs now!!

Sean
4fit?, michael hurd, mtg90 and 2 others like this.
post #88 of 93 Old 10-24-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Nice build!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #89 of 93 Old 10-25-2018, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 146