DIY with a large midrange horn - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
DIY with a large midrange horn

Is there anyone here who has built main speakers with a midrange horn that dips down to the 150hz range? There used to be a JBL cinema loudspeaker with a very large horn but I don't believe they still sell it.

Curious if there is any intent from DIYSG to produce such a beast. Horn systems sound great when they dip down low as possible in the frequency spectrum.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
@Scott Simonian built something that may interest you.
JohnDean is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Is there anyone here who has built main speakers with a midrange horn that dips down to the 150hz range? There used to be a JBL cinema loudspeaker with a very large horn but I don't believe they still sell it.

Curious if there is any intent from DIYSG to produce such a beast. Horn systems sound great when they dip down low as possible in the frequency spectrum.
Have you looked at the Titan 615? It has a large midrange horn but I don't know how low it is goes. @Eng 99 could probably fill you in.
liffie420 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
FriscoDTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 389
JShadzi had the SEOS24 three way build a while back that used a mid horn down around 150 Hz iirc. It was not a kit though.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
FriscoDTM is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Have you looked at the Titan 615? It has a large midrange horn but I don't know how low it is goes. @Eng 99 could probably fill you in.
we ordered a pair of titans actually for a different project so I can't wait to test those out. Those horns can't possibly be big enough to get down to 150hz. my avantgarde acoustics trios have a horn that drops down to 150hz and it is quite large. Having all your midrange come out of one cohesive drivers/horn does have a really smooth overall effect that I like. I was just wondering if I can replicate that experience with a pre-conceived DIY package.

Shipping and producing big horns is a pain in the ass... the closest thing that most of us look at are the Danley SH50's but they are pricey.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 10,632
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
The most elite coaxial you can find, placed in the biggest waveguide you can make. JTR style.
BassThatHz is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
we ordered a pair of titans actually for a different project so I can't wait to test those out. Those horns can't possibly be big enough to get down to 150hz.
According to the specs the crossover points are 350 and 1900 hz.

Not 150, but pretty darn low.
dorri732 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 10,632
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
"Ideally" one would not have a crossover in the 400-12khz region, as that is where the ear is MOST sensitive.

It's hard to find a driver or a design that can do that, except for giant horns like the SEOS-30 http://horns-diy.pl/en/horns/seos/seos-30/
BassThatHz is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
"Ideally" one would not have a crossover in the 400-12khz region, as that is where the ear is MOST sensitive.

It's hard to find a driver or a design that can do that, except for giant horns like the SEOS-30 http://horns-diy.pl/en/horns/seos/seos-30/
interesting, will keep those concepts in mind.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I can only imagine that anything under the seos 30 shocks.....
Too bad I need to build custom him-12s to even fit in my dedicated but small space. I need to save for a new house.

It would be interesting to hear from others their experience with those wacky large designs in real rooms!
cellarnoise is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Member
 
jujuman200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 86
@blazar
here you go...... someone here built these but I can't remember the username... they say that they are awesome.

Here is the horn..... https://inlowsound.weebly.com/135-hz-mid-bass-horn.html

EDIT: Found it... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...a460-18-a.html

Enjoy

Juju

Wish List: LLT Sub Dual UM-18, 25 cuft 12Hz tune. Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html
DIY so far: LCR (RCF H100 3way) 2 - Full MARTY 460HO ( PIX from OLD profile) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post39937738
2- VBSS and a DIY Bass Shaker

Last edited by jujuman200; 02-06-2018 at 12:32 AM.
jujuman200 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 02-06-2018, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
@blazar
here you go...... someone here built these but I can't remember the username... they say that they are awesome.

Here is the horn..... https://inlowsound.weebly.com/135-hz-mid-bass-horn.html

EDIT: Found it... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...a460-18-a.html

Enjoy

Juju
phenomenal, that really looks impressive. I wonder if I can replicate that... definitely some work, no flat pack!

That is pretty cool and the -3db is nearly exactly the same as my avantgarde trio omega speakers. I bet it would get most of the sound quality for dramatically less money... Curious how those would work out in a media room baffle wall area.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off