Would this crazy subwoofer idea work? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just had a great conversation with the guy at Stereo Integrity, and he only laughed at first. But he said that he thought that the idea of a six-foot tube with opposing HS-24 at each end was a fabulous idea. He confirmed that the 16-20 cubic feet is the recommended internal air space for each driver, but he said that the HS-24 is so flexible that it works in tighter spaces. He said that he has never had anyone actually set up a pair of HS-24 in a container with the recommended space and would really like to know the results.

So now I seem to have an unusual but not so crazy idea. Unless anyone knows of other subwoofers that were made with 40 cubic feet of internal space. And $1,279 times 2 plus $250 for the laminate tube is less than I expected for the starting costs. I know there will be more, just have to itemize and figure it out. This now seems doable, but am I going to need a second when it is done?
johnson636 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDavis View Post
I just had a great conversation with the guy at Stereo Integrity, and he only laughed at first. But he said that he thought that the idea of a six-foot tube with opposing HS-24 at each end was a fabulous idea. He confirmed that the 16-20 cubic feet is the recommended internal air space for each driver, but he said that the HS-24 is so flexible that it works in tighter spaces. He said that he has never had anyone actually set up a pair of HS-24 in a container with the recommended space and would really like to know the results.

So now I seem to have an unusual but not so crazy idea. Unless anyone knows of other subwoofers that were made with 40 cubic feet of internal space. And $1,279 times 2 plus $250 for the laminate tube is less than I expected for the starting costs. I know there will be more, just have to itemize and figure it out. This now seems doable, but am I going to need a second when it is done?
After you build 2, you will want two more 2 6ft HS24 sonosubs would be crazy, 4 would be just plain stupid...in a good way

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #33 of 34 Old 02-09-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well @johnson636 now that I have some idea what to make, I just need to get some idea how to do it. But if this really works out, it might actually be something that other people would want to consider. I assume that really large woofers are not used much in part because of their space needs. I am assuming that if a 3 foot tower is OK, then a 6 foot tower should be too, especially if it looks nice. Just seems like a good alternative to trying to cram more and more subwoofer into less and less space.

When I am ready to start, I will create a build thread and lean as heavily on people here for advice as they let me. But I want to carefully document the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 02-09-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDavis View Post
Well @johnson636 now that I have some idea what to make, I just need to get some idea how to do it. But if this really works out, it might actually be something that other people would want to consider. I assume that really large woofers are not used much in part because of their space needs. I am assuming that if a 3 foot tower is OK, then a 6 foot tower should be too, especially if it looks nice. Just seems like a good alternative to trying to cram more and more subwoofer into less and less space.

When I am ready to start, I will create a build thread and lean as heavily on people here for advice as they let me. But I want to carefully document the whole thing.
And I'll be looking forward to that build. I need more subs for my 2nd FP10000Q

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page