ButtKicker LFE and the Nearfield Subwoofer Project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
  • 4 Post By mkohman
  • 1 Post By monty6400
  • 3 Post By SBuger
  • 1 Post By mkohman
  • 2 Post By unretarded
  • 1 Post By mkohman
  • 1 Post By mkohman
  • 5 Post By mkohman
  • 3 Post By OJ Bartley
  • 5 Post By mkohman
  • 4 Post By mkohman
  • 2 Post By SBuger
  • 3 Post By mkohman
  • 2 Post By humbland
  • 3 Post By mkohman
  • 2 Post By SBuger
  • 3 Post By mkohman
  • 1 Post By monty6400
  • 2 Post By mkohman
  • 1 Post By Craig S King
  • 1 Post By mkohman
  • 1 Post By alextr75
  • 1 Post By pdasterly
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
ButtKicker LFE and the Nearfield Subwoofer Project

Hey Guys,

Now that I have completed my Mini Marty Build and integrated it into my system (I love that subwoofer ). I wanted to totally complete my setup with a few extras that I hope will add to the whole experience...

Basically, I have always had my eye on the ButtKicker LFE, however it would have meant that I would have needed to purchase the dedicated power amp to power it which would have added to the overall cost..

Fast forward on to today...now that I have a spare channel on the inuke 6000dsp, it only makes sense to make use of it (i.e either with a ButtKicker or a nearfild subwoofer).

This project will be a work in progress for a couple of months I think as and when finance situation permits... The plan is to first integrate the Buttkicker LFE to blend into my setup and work along with the Mini Marty / Dayton Ultimax 18" subwoofer combination for a while and then add a nearfield subwoofer behind my sofa to give me that final punch in the chest feel from behind..

For the nearfield subwoofer I have been speaking with @biga6761 who is doing some research into which driver and size will be best suitable (thank you ) and more of that will come to light in the near future as and when we decide which route to take..

Finally, yesterday I ordered the ButtKicker LFE from partsexpress.com (USA) and including delivery vat and tax it has come to a total of £258.00 and should be with me sometime next week.

In the meantime, I have ordered 38mm x 25mm rubber feet (x16) to install under my corner sofa and also Vandamme Blue Series Pro 2x2.5mm speaker cables along with speakon connection.. I will run both wires for the ButtKicker and the nearfield subwoofer just to have them ready to hand.

During this week/weekend when the rubber feet arrive, I will flip the sofa upside down and screw in the rubber feet. I will also unstaple the sofa (middle seat area/MLP) and screw in a very dense hard board in preperation for when the ButtKicker LFE arrives.. I will try to keep this thread alive and will update with pictures as and when I have more information and more to add.. I hope this thread will assist others who are in the same or similar position as me and as always, I always welcome and appreciate any advice and tips along the way you may have to offer.. Thank you
SBuger, monty6400, bubbrik and 1 others like this.

Last edited by mkohman; 02-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
mkohman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Looking forward to see what you do next, the builds keep on coming!

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk
mkohman likes this.
monty6400 is online now  
post #3 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
oh yeah, the sickness continues

Nice! I think you'll love the combo of the Buttkicker LFE and Nearfield sub to go with that Mini Marty. It'll most definitely add to the whole experience. I know I love mine and wouldn't give'em up for anything.
unretarded, biga6761 and mkohman like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
Looking forward to see what you do next, the builds keep on coming!

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk
Hey @monty6400 the ButtKicker is happening and is an easy and quick integration in terms of connecting it and mounting it to the sofa. The extra channel on the inuke has triggered me to purchase this to be honest with you .. Just makes sense

The nearfield subwoofer will follow.. How long after ? I don't know yet but won't be long I am guessing.. The only issue with that is I would need another amp and I already have 2 x huge beasts (Emotiva XPA-5 and the Nakamichi AVP-1 along with the inuke 6000dsp) and no other place to really install another amp so my options are limited.. I would either need to by an inuke 3000dsp (maybe your one ) or the actual buttkicker amplifier and use that with the buttkicker then use channel B of the inuke 6000dsp for the nearfield.. Who knows .. Let's see what time will show but for now the ButtKicker is happening and is on route to me stay tuned bro

PS: Whenever you decide to flog the 3000dsp make sure you message me first

Last edited by mkohman; 02-14-2018 at 06:43 PM.
mkohman is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
oh yeah, the sickness continues

Nice! I think you'll love the combo of the Buttkicker LFE and Nearfield sub to go with that Mini Marty. It'll most definitely add to the whole experience. I know I love mine and wouldn't give'em up for anything.
Truly is a sickness @SBuger lol thanks for the comment
biga6761 likes this.
mkohman is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unretarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ventura Ca
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
unretarded is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
mkohman is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Yesterday evening I had some time.. So I managed to flip the sofa over and open up the cover to find a good spot to mount the ButtKicker...

My sofa is a huge corner sofa and it comes in 3 parts which lock into each other.. Last night I separated all 3 parts and installed the rubber feet on all the legs..

I used 13 rubber feet in total.. Looking at the picture attached there is a triple layer plywood right in the middle but I need to mount the ButtKicker on a board which is horizontal to my seat not vertical so I will cut a plywood board and screw it in somehow in the next few days..

I also had to remove the skirting board which hides the current cables under it in a channeled section of the wall and install 2 x new cables.. (1 for the ButtKicker and the other for the nearfield subwoofer).. I then screwed on the speakon connection on the amp end for the ButtKicker in preparation for when it arrives next week.

The cleaning up was the hardest part lol I re fillered the screw holes on the skirting board and today I'll give them a light sand and quick paint and will all be back to as before...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
unretarded likes this.
mkohman is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 02-24-2018, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
mkohman is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Finally arrived.. It's slightly larger than I thought but it's no problem.. Looking forward to getting it setup and ready

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OJ Bartley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Welcome to the Buttkicker club!! I still love mine, though I think I may have bottomed one out and I have to do some troubleshooting with it. I think my couch was similar to yours, and what I did to mount it was build a base with 2 walls, and that way I was able to use all 4 bolts to attach the BK to the base, and I used the 2 walls to firmly screw to the frame of the couch... I don't have any pics handy, but basically this is an overhead view:

|
|___

With the 2 sides screwed into the back and middle board like you have on your couch. It worked really well. Let us know how this goes!
mkohman, biga6761 and SBuger like this.
OJ Bartley is online now  
post #12 of 29 Old 02-28-2018, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hey guys... Quick update from yesterday.... Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare in terms of trying to mount the ButtKicker into the sofa.. As can be seen in the pictures below, I have mounted the ButtKicker on a piece of timber (1 inch thick and 6 inches wide).

I used a bit of extra off cut timber where the ButtKicker is mounted in order to give is extra grip for the screws to get into...

On first installation I thought it was all good but when I flipped the sofa back over and sat down I could feel the timber underneath me and wasn't comfortable. I took it apart and then used little blocks under the timber to separate it further in order for me not to feel it beneath me.

Also I placed the ButtKicker slightly off centre and not bang in the middle of the timber.. It's more towards the front of the couch.. This was recommended by @biga6761 who also was extremely kind and helpful to guide me setting it up within inuke after the installation (Thank you ) .

After installing the timber in the sofa the second time round I noticed that there would probably be some rattling caused by the springs under the seating so thought it would be a good idea to put some left over polly filling I already had in between the springs and the timber in order to prevent any possible rattling.. Also note that I placed a little rubber mat directly under the ButtKicker between the timber and the ButtKicker in order to also prevent any kind of rattling..

I can't feel the timber like before when fully sat down but I think because I know it's there, psychologically I can still very slightly feel it beneath me.. What I'm intending on doing is removing it and placing a piece 4 x 2 timber on the main sofa strips and then installing the flat board with the ButtKicker on.

Also instead of having the timber dead centre of where I sit, I am going to move it to the right hand side and mount it directly under the join of where the two seatings are.. That way I can screw the 4 x 2 timber into the side plywood of the sofa as well, as can be seen in the pictures... I hope this makes sense but if not I will upload more pictures once I have changed the configuration again...

So.... After I had spent a good few hours installing it into the sofa which I have now decided to change again probably tomorrow lol.. I finally got to the setup stage.. As mentioned above, credit and my gratitude goes out to @biga6761 as he was very kind in taking the time to call me and go through the inuke settings.. Basically we used BI-AMP 1 mode and set a delay in Channel B for the ButtKicker along with applying a HS12 filter etc..

I understand and appreciate this will be a long process in getting the delay bang on to match my subwoofer and what's on the screen, however so far it seems to be in sync already.. I will no doubt spend a lot more time tweaking and learning things along the way however first impressions were WOW lol

In all honesty for the first couple of minutes it took me out of the movie.. This was only because I was aware and paying full attention to the ButtKicker.. After the initial stage, I was blown away with how much detail was present (especially under 20hz) in all the movie demo scenes I am familiar with...

I only had very little time to demo after setup as I had to be up early today for work but the couple of scenes I demoed were as below :

The Incredible Hulk - NYC scene, Hulk Smash Scene and the whole of Hulk vs Abomination.. Lost for words.. The thumping of both Hulk and Abominations foot steps when running at each other in the NYC scene.. All the fighting, punches etc.. Absolutely blew my mind.. So powerful and the sense you get is so much more fulfilling it's hard to explain...

Jurrasic World - Scene with Indominus Rex attacking the two boys in the pod.. Again absolutely crazy.. The feel of the Dinasour thumping it's way around then sticking it's nail into the pods glass, smashing it up and down into the ground... It sounded awesome with the mini marty anyway but with the ButtKicker it added a dimension, a feeling which was absolutely mind blowing lol..made me smile and feel that the Indominus Rex was literally in my room lol..

Kong: Skull Island - Scene where they make first contact with Kong.. Brilliant.. This is where I felt that the ButtKicker has dynamics like any other normal speaker/subwoofer .. What I mean is there were parts where it was very subtle and other parts when it completely shook me which was a crazy feeling..also a little scary lol..

John Wick - Red circle club scene... My god.. I have never experienced this scene like this before.. Those of you who know or read my write ups will know that the red circle scene in John Wick is probably one of my favourite demo scenes.. I literally felt every single bullet fired out of his gun.. It was a sensational feeling.. Again had a huge smile on my face lol..

Overall, please remember I only had no more than 25 mins for the whole demo so it's all still very new and will no doubt need a lot more tweaking for sure before I get it perfect... However I am already considering another ButtKicker LFE so I guess that says it all really lol

I will try to update in the next few days with some new pictures once fully installed in the perfect location (if that ever is possible lol) within my sofa and write up some more later once the novalty has slightly worn off to give you a full review and share my experience with you guys..

Hope this helps or inspires others to do the same or a similar setup..

If you have any tips on how to better install the ButtKicker into my sofa please do go ahead and let me know.. As always I welcome and appreciate all your help, advice and support..
























Last edited by mkohman; 02-28-2018 at 04:00 AM.
mkohman is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hey Guys, I wanted to share my experience today with you all before I went to bed for the night... After work, late afternoon/early evening, I stopped off at my local timber yard and purchased a new length of 1 x 6 timber in order to re install the BK in a better location..

I must state that for the past 2 days I have been trying to figure out in my head where and how I can best mount this beast into my sofa... I even drew some sketches whilst at work today, planning how to install it in the afternoon lol

Let me just say that today I have learnt that no matter how much thought you put into something, everything can change at the last minute when actually carrying out the job... This is what's happened to me today...

As you can see on the few posts above I tried to explain what I was intending of doing for the re mount of the BK and was asking for your kind help...

After I had opened up the bottom of the sofa and removed the BK this afternoon, I realised that the only way I can actually make this work with my sofa is not trying to integrate it with the sofa but to actually make it part of my sofa lol .. I know that sounds weird but hear me out... No matter where I planned on putting the BK, I knew that when sat down I would ever so slightly feel the timber so I had an idea to do something totally different that wasn't part of my original plan...

So... if you click on the link to my Google Drive shared folder, you can see that the sofa has the little empty area where the seat meets the back.. I thought as the actual BK LFE Kit reccomends mounting the BK at the back of the sofa, I should also do this but instead of the BK Kit to actually mount it in the sofa, better yet make it part of the sofa so what I had to do was cut notches into the frame of the sofa in order to allow the piece of timber to slot in, then support them with 4 x 2 timber which were also screwed into the actual frame of the sofa with 3" wood screws and mount the BK in such away that it would be fully attached to the whole frame of the sofa whilst housed in the little void area of the sofa.

This will make absolute sense if you click the below link to see all the pictures throughout the installation:

ButtKicker Installation - Google Drive

After the initial installation, I have to admit when I first tested it I was disappointed. The reason for this is because it wasn't as strong as the first time round.. Please note, that the first time round I actually mounted the timber directly under my seating area which caused me discomfort when sat down and was also at the front of the sofa which meant it wasn't carrying any of my body weight.. With it now being installed in the back and totally screwed into the whole structure of the frame it obviously needed more power...

Once again @biga6761 came to my rescue (thanks dude)! .. @biga6761 was able to assist me to up the gain from 3db to 8 or 9db and also helped me to apply a Dynamic Filter EQ for 20hz which was a boost of 3db.. These two settings made the world of a difference .. I was shocked at how much difference this made and was immediately satisfied with the amount of punch the BK was giving me...

I must ad that previously when I installed the BK directly under my seating area, I could easily localise it and did take me out of the movie at first but you get used to it.. With how it is mounted now and the power it is supplied with I could feel the same impact, however was completely unable to localise exactly were it was coming from. I mean it's obviously sending vibrations to my body through the sofa but what I mean is where it's exactly located is undetectable when seated which is a big plus and doesn't take you out of the movie..

Another thing.. when in BI-AMP 1 mode on the inuke the Channel B gain knob at the front of the inuke has no effect as its all controlled by Channel A's gain knob. Channel A's gain knob was dialled in at around 17 click so wasn't fully turned up, turning it up the full clicks (20 click) gave the BK all the power it needed which brought it to life.. That and the settings that @biga6761 assisted me with..

All I can say is the BK is an absolutely amazing bit of kit.. I will tell you why lol .. After demoing for a bit I thought .. "OK, let me turn the BK off now and watch the scenes I had been demoing with it"... no word of a lie... I was shocked lol .... I could not believe how much detail , how much depth just gets lost in the mix without it.. Well not lost in the mix but you can actually "FEEL" what's happening in the movie especially that sweet bass from 45 Hz down and that super sweet bass from 20 Hz down.. I instantly wanted to turn it back on so much so that I can not believe that I never bought this little gem years ago..

Now I won't lie.. You will need to get the delay right and the level of gain etc, installation all correct before you can actually fully enjoy and appreciate it.. It's not really a plug and play device which will be brilliant as soon as you connect it.. Well it can be I guess for some but for those of us who wants it's FULL potential, the above mentioned is totally necessary.. This is one of the reasons I love the inuke and didn't opt for the actual BK power amp.. There is so much more flexibility with the inuke and BK working along together..

Here are some screen shots of my setting within inuke for those who may be interested to have a look.. Please bare in mind that my max listening levels are -35 to -30 db so these settings are far from reference levels hence why I am applying the DSP gain in the inuke..

Here is the link to the pictures:

BK and Dayton Settings - Google Drive

Hope you all enjoyed the read and may be useful to others considering.. As always I really would appreciate any advice, tips or tricks and thanks for your time

Last edited by mkohman; 03-01-2018 at 07:40 PM.
mkohman is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Awesome!!!!! Glad to hear you got the BK attached to your couch and enjoying the heck out of it Sounds like biga6761 was a big help as well with it all ...very cool!!

I couldn't agree more about what the BK LFE adds to the experience. Words and descriptions don't even really do it justice to what they can deliver. I've been a long time user of them and just love them. Even though I run VNF (Very Near Field) subs right behind my two seats + Crowsons MAs, the BK LFE's add even more power and dimension, in a way that the VNF subs and Crowson MA's alone don't quite do. Awesome, but still not quite the same. There is just something special/amazing about what the BK's bring to the party when you get it/them mounted to your seat and levels adjusted right, were it's integrated well.

I started out using them on a couch like you, but just recently got two new Home Theater chairs and mounted two BK LFE's in each. Was pretty easy since this is the third set of seats that I've used them in. I've got a few pics HERE (about half way down the post) that may be of interest to you that I posted the other day that can give you an idea if you ever get into HT seating.

Anyway, just awesome, glad to hear your loving the BK so far!! Congrats!! Great job on getting it mounted into your seating! You'll be wanting to add another at some point I'm sure
mkohman and biga6761 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Awesome!!!!! Glad to hear you got the BK attached to your couch and enjoying the heck out of it Sounds like biga6761 was a big help as well with it all ...very cool!!

I couldn't agree more about what the BK LFE adds to the experience. Words and descriptions don't even really do it justice to what they can deliver. I've been a long time user of them and just love them. Even though I run VNF (Very Near Field) subs right behind my two seats + Crowsons MAs, the BK LFE's add even more power and dimension, in a way that the VNF subs and Crowson MA's alone don't quite do. Awesome, but still not quite the same. There is just something special/amazing about what the BK's bring to the party when you get it/them mounted to your seat and levels adjusted right, were it's integrated well.

I started out using them on a couch like you, but just recently got two new Home Theater chairs and mounted two BK LFE's in each. Was pretty easy since this is the third set of seats that I've used them in. I've got a few pics HERE (about half way down the post) that may be of interest to you that I posted the other day that can give you an idea if you ever get into HT seating.

Anyway, just awesome, glad to hear your loving the BK so far!! Congrats!! Great job on getting it mounted into your seating! You'll be wanting to add another at some point I'm sure
Hey @SBuger thanks for your kind words.. Yes indeed @biga6761 was great as usual assisting with setting it up in the inuke. He's very kind and helpful and I very much appreciate all his help and advice

Your room and setup look amazing.. It is my dream to have a dedicated room like that.. I have so much I would like to do if I had a dedicated room ...

Yes lol, I am already looking into purchasing another ButtKicker and thinking of mounting it in the same couch, but this time up front in the middle (right under my bottom) .. Due to work, I haven't even sat and watched a whole movie nor have I tested it for more than an hour at the most so I am super excited to fully experience and see what it can do. In saying that I am already super impressed and delighted with what I did experience in that little time I had setting it up and testing it Thanks for your post and look forward to see your finished room
biga6761, SBuger and unretarded like this.
mkohman is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,493
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I posted this in another thread, but thought I would share our journey down the Great BASS Rabbit Hole:
If you are looking for great bass response, each room set up is unique and different. We have actually downshifted through the years and ended up with better bass. By that, I mean that I used to lust over the biggest baddest subs. At one point we had twin 13" SVS that would shake the entire house. Somehow, it just did not feel right and accurate. Sure, it would impress friends when showing off the HT, but for movies things got "lost in translation".
Solution: more, but smaller subs. I sold the moster subs and we now have four different 12" subs from HSU, Paradigm and Velodyne x2. AND we added two Buttkicker LFE kits to the seating.
First I did a rough "ball park" adjustment with our Pioneer SC-97 MCACC Pro. Then, I spent about 4 hours with a series of bass demo discs and carefully tuned the entire system using LFE sweeps. The multiple subs, in different locations, allow you to balance out the inevitable nulls and get an even/satisfying room response. The Buttkikers in the seating need to be adjusted to come on at just the right level (about 30 hz) to add the last bit of tactile "feel". There is an interplay between the subs and the LFE transducers that really takes some playing around with. After the final tweaks, I played some bass heavy movies (ie London is Falling, Blackhawk Down).
Bottom line is that the end result is worth the hassle of the set up
biga6761 and mkohman like this.
humbland is online now  
post #17 of 29 Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I posted this in another thread, but thought I would share our journey down the Great BASS Rabbit Hole:
If you are looking for great bass response, each room set up is unique and different. We have actually downshifted through the years and ended up with better bass. By that, I mean that I used to lust over the biggest baddest subs. At one point we had twin 13" SVS that would shake the entire house. Somehow, it just did not feel right and accurate. Sure, it would impress friends when showing off the HT, but for movies things got "lost in translation".
Solution: more, but smaller subs. I sold the moster subs and we now have four different 12" subs from HSU, Paradigm and Velodyne x2. AND we added two Buttkicker LFE kits to the seating.
First I did a rough "ball park" adjustment with our Pioneer SC-97 MCACC Pro. Then, I spent about 4 hours with a series of bass demo discs and carefully tuned the entire system using LFE sweeps. The multiple subs, in different locations, allow you to balance out the inevitable nulls and get an even/satisfying room response. The Buttkikers in the seating need to be adjusted to come on at just the right level (about 30 hz) to add the last bit of tactile "feel". There is an interplay between the subs and the LFE transducers that really takes some playing around with. After the final tweaks, I played some bass heavy movies (ie London is Falling, Blackhawk Down).
Bottom line is that the end result is worth the hassle of the set up
Thank you for your input.. My BK is currently set at 45hz but I will try to lower it a little more, maybe to 40 then even 30 to see what that does.. I am thinking of getting another one and installing it at the front of the same seat in the near future.. Just looking for a good deal on one.. Cheers
mkohman is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Another night shift at work and I have down time.. What better to do then search for the new driver for the near field subwoofer ... After having a lengthy discussion with @biga6761 .. we narrowed it down to 2 drivers...

First up was the Dayton PA 465S-8 18" Pro Subwoofer.. This would have been an order from the states (parts express) and including delivery and vat would have totalled around £300.00...

Second option was the FaitalPRO 18" HP1010 Pro Driver which costs £179.00. This driver seems to be very similar to the Dayton and is infact almost double price on the parts express website. This was the final option and I placed the order for the 4ohm version which says delivery 2-3 weeks. They had the 8 ohm in stock but went for the 4ohm version of this speaker.
@biga6761 has kindly offered to model me a cabinet and once that is done I will then start the build.. It won't be big.. Something small and reasonable which will fit in the space behind the sofa..The approximate measurment would be (40" length, 22" high and 10" deep). I think approx 4.7 cubic feet (133 litres).

I am hoping this driver will deliver the punch I would like to achieve from around 30hz - 120hz range..
unretarded, biga6761 and SBuger like this.

Last edited by mkohman; 03-03-2018 at 06:47 PM.
mkohman is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Hey @SBuger thanks for your kind words.. Yes indeed @biga6761 was great as usual assisting with setting it up in the inuke. He's very kind and helpful and I very much appreciate all his help and advice

Your room and setup look amazing.. It is my dream to have a dedicated room like that.. I have so much I would like to do if I had a dedicated room ...

Yes lol, I am already looking into purchasing another ButtKicker and thinking of mounting it in the same couch, but this time up front in the middle (right under my bottom) .. Due to work, I haven't even sat and watched a whole movie nor have I tested it for more than an hour at the most so I am super excited to fully experience and see what it can do. In saying that I am already super impressed and delighted with what I did experience in that little time I had setting it up and testing it Thanks for your post and look forward to see your finished room
Hey thanks Mkohman!

Cool, yeah I know the feeling about getting into a dedicated room, I waited and wanted for a long time. But your room and setup you have know will be great until then. Sounds like you fixing to get that nearfield sub built and going soon too. You'll be set and get a ton of enjoyment out of it all.

Awesome ...keep on going with it!
mkohman and biga6761 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Hey thanks Mkohman!

Cool, yeah I know the feeling about getting into a dedicated room, I waited and wanted for a long time. But your room and setup you have know will be great until then. Sounds like you fixing to get that nearfield sub built and going soon too. You'll be set and get a ton of enjoyment out of it all.

Awesome ...keep on going with it!
Cheers dude.. and to top it all off I just ordered the second ButtKicker LFE lol.. I am done with upgrades for a loooong time now.. Next will be the JVC x5900 to replace my Sony HW40ES Projector but I can't see that happening for atleast another year or so or maybe if the prices drop severly or I find a brilliant offer on a used one
biga6761, SBuger and unretarded like this.
mkohman is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Congrats on the recent builds M. You seem to really enjoy the buttkicker. Also welcome to the Faital Club. That driver is in the same series as mine just slightly less XMAX and should perform very well for you in the midbass range. How are you going to power it, pro drivers don't need very much power at all to get spl. Also will the cab be ported or sealed? If ported will you tune at the same frequency as the Dayton UM Cab? For me if I was to build a nearfield cab I'd want it doing the whole bass range up to about 60 or 80hz. The below 30hz is a really shaky range and could give some nice effects nearfield. Good luck I'm sure it will be great. Excited to hear your opinions!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
mkohman likes this.
monty6400 is online now  
post #22 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty6400 View Post
Congrats on the recent builds M. You seem to really enjoy the buttkicker. Also welcome to the Faital Club. That driver is in the same series as mine just slightly less XMAX and should perform very well for you in the midbass range. How are you going to power it, pro drivers don't need very much power at all to get spl. Also will the cab be ported or sealed? If ported will you tune at the same frequency as the Dayton UM Cab? For me if I was to build a nearfield cab I'd want it doing the whole bass range up to about 60 or 80hz. The below 30hz is a really shaky range and could give some nice effects nearfield. Good luck I'm sure it will be great. Excited to hear your opinions!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
Hey Liam, thanks a lot for your kind words.. The ButtKicker is truly something else on its own.. This is something I would probably always be skeptic about unless I tried it myself.. I love it so much that I had to order the second one last night lol.. I think I will be set with 2 and don't plan on anymore for now...

The nearfield subwoofer I am super excited about too.. I re measured and can go with 55" wide, 24" high and 11" deep.. I hope this will be sufficient for behind the sofa... The FaitalPRO driver seems like a very nice driver and the depth is only 8" which is really good.. Unfortunately I will be waiting a few weeks for it to arrive though as I opted for the 4ohms driver.

I purchased another inuke 6000dsp last week from amazon at a very good price and planning on powering the second ButtKicker and the nearfield with this after I do the fan mod..... Thank you for your assistance and appreciate all your help

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
SBuger and monty6400 like this.
mkohman is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Craig S King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Did you find an iNuke6k on Amazon at a better price than Parts Express?
mkohman likes this.
Craig S King is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Did you find an iNuke6k on Amazon at a better price than Parts Express?
Oh yes.. It was an "Amazon Warehouse" deal and let's just say it was a price that I couldn't miss out on lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hey Guys... wanted to update you with the current situation.. Looks like we are going with a double side ported mini marty type nearfield with 4 ports each side.. 55" wide by 24" high by 12" deep...
@monty6400 was very kind to model this for me in winisd at 30hz (thank you).. and I have attached the graphs below..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30hz.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	2370618   Click image for larger version

Name:	30hz 2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	2370620   Click image for larger version

Name:	30hz 3.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	2370622  
bubbrik likes this.
mkohman is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Fast forward on to today...now that I have a spare channel on the inuke 6000dsp, it only makes sense to make use of it (i.e either with a ButtKicker or a nearfild subwoofer).

This project will be a work in progress for a couple of months I think as and when finance situation permits... The plan is to first integrate the Buttkicker LFE to blend into my setup and work along with the Mini Marty / Dayton Ultimax 18" subwoofer combination for a while and then add a nearfield subwoofer behind my sofa to give me that final punch in the chest feel from behind..
Sorry if I have missed this, have you tried the UM18 sub as a nearfield behind the sofa already ?

I have dual 4cf sealed UM18s behind my sofa, and they provide a great experience, from natural to sometimes visceral. To be honest I lost the better and flatter frequency response I had when I had the two subs positioned in the front of the room (just how my room is), but I EQ-ed as much as I can with my 6000DSP, and just can't really give up the nearfield experience they provide (I have the drivers less than an inch behind each end of our sofa).

I had a BK LFE a while ago, and it was also an extremely exciting experience, but placed in my sofa they were a bit too much for me, always felt like being punched or kicked in the back (or you know where depending where you install them ). Of course I could dial them down, but I could never resist the itch to always bring it up .. so really my fault I could never to a good compromise. Eventually figuring out I can probably try and make use of my subs for a similar experience I sold the BK. Now that I think about it, maybe it was the fault of my sofa and should have tried replacing it instead

That said, the dual UM18 are perfect for me right now, so much so that I now again think about building the big Mini or Full marty boxes, just can never find the time with my newborn, at least not until a couple of more years. Or get two more drivers and move two up front again, and call the insurance company a year later, when my whole room collapses down on me

I am sure the subs you will be working on will work very well too.

Either way, whatever ends up working better, we are really lucky being able to hear and feel what these beasts of equipment can do.
mkohman likes this.
alextr75 is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Sorry if I have missed this, have you tried the UM18 sub as a nearfield behind the sofa already ?

I have dual 4cf sealed UM18s behind my sofa, and they provide a great experience, from natural to sometimes visceral. To be honest I lost the better and flatter frequency response I had when I had the two subs positioned in the front of the room (just how my room is), but I EQ-ed as much as I can with my 6000DSP, and just can't really give up the nearfield experience they provide (I have the drivers less than an inch behind each end of our sofa).

I had a BK LFE a while ago, and it was also an extremely exciting experience, but placed in my sofa they were a bit too much for me, always felt like being punched or kicked in the back (or you know where depending where you install them ). Of course I could dial them down, but I could never resist the itch to always bring it up .. so really my fault I could never to a good compromise. Eventually figuring out I can probably try and make use of my subs for a similar experience I sold the BK. Now that I think about it, maybe it was the fault of my sofa and should have tried replacing it instead

That said, the dual UM18 are perfect for me right now, so much so that I now again think about building the big Mini or Full marty boxes, just can never find the time with my newborn, at least not until a couple of more years. Or get two more drivers and move two up front again, and call the insurance company a year later, when my whole room collapses down on me

I am sure the subs you will be working on will work very well too.

Either way, whatever ends up working better, we are really lucky being able to hear and feel what these beasts of equipment can do.
Hey @alextr75 I couldn't agree with you any more.. Not only are we lucky to be able to experience all this with such high quality products these days, we are also very lucky that we are part of this great community with so much love, knowledge and advice given to us on a daily basis.. I am greatfull to every one who has in one way or another commented , helped or given me some advice and tips in making my HT better than I could ever imagined and those who are still helping me out on a daily basis ( @biga6761 and @monty6400 )... I have also built good friendship with good people thanks to this forum and AVForums in the UK... Thank you

Only 5 months ago I had no idea where to start from or had never built a speaker or subwoofer. 5 months on and I am now the proud owner of my DIY HTM-12's up front taking care of the front sound stage, my mighty "mini marty" with the UM18 dealing with the deep and powerfull bass of movies (between 17-90hz) and the superb ButtKicker (and the second one on the way ) along with the VNF subwoofer which is still a work in progress..

Also big congratulations with the newborn @alextr75 , I know that feeling.. It's the best ever.. I have two girls myself ...

Re the UM18 behind my sofa, unfortunately no I haven't tried it .. Mainly because there is not enough space for that beast behind my sofa and the fact that it weighs almost 100kg (220lbs) doesn't help either lol...

I am super excited about having to build the VNF subwoofer and see what it adds to the game.. I know what you mean with the ButtKicker experience though.. In my opinion the very little time I have had with it, I find the BK best tuned low (40 hz down.. ) and subtle .. I am going to add the second one in the same sofa when it arrives but at the front as I already installed the current one in the back of the sofa.. I still have to tweak alot and experiment no doubt but I love what they bring to the game and dissapointed with myself as to why I haven't purchased them years ago.. No doubt I will now find myself re watching movies with it lol

Thanks for your input and wish you all the very best in your new marty builds.. Please make sure you create a build thread.. Would be interested to follow it All the best....

Last edited by mkohman; 03-04-2018 at 09:41 PM.
mkohman is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 03-06-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Here are the drawings of the very near field subwoofer courtesy of @monty6400 .. Thanks brother

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
pdasterly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 92
hulk was great, guardians of galaxy mine were bottoming out
war of worlds, cloverfield, godzilla, mad max(you see the pattern) only action movies, any other type of movie and it feel's out of place
mkohman likes this.
pdasterly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off