Double checking before build - RSS315HF-4, Vented 5.5 cuft - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RoboAVS

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Double checking before build - RSS315HF-4, Vented 5.5 cuft

Hi all, been reading around here a bunch in a quest to make my first sub. This build is for 75%+ HT, so the lower ranges (20-30hz) are important to me. Due to that, I went with a vented build for the RSS315HF-4 over a sealed.

I chose a reasonable (I think) plate amp that is dual voltage and has a normal feature set in that price range in the Yung SD300. I needed it to be dual voltage, and this amp seemed to fit the bill feature wise.

The build itself will be a 570mm cube on the outside, with a 534mm cube internal volume, around 152 litres, and that'll drop down to just under 150 after bracing and sub are in, give or take. Venting is 4" Precision Ports from PE, stock length of ~17" or so, which I'll use all of. Box is tuned to 25hz.

I've attached a PDF of the model I've made for it along with measurements, so feel free to take a look and critique.

As for the graphs, I've attached all of the relevant ones I'm aware of from WinISD as well. My concerns here are the port air speeds, which are on the high end <30hz, as well as the cone excursion being right on the edge at 20hz. My AV receiver says it supports 20hz - 20khz, so I'm assuming it has a highpass at 20hz, so I'm hoping the excursion will be okay.

The SPL and response are right around what I'm looking for, more or less, so hoping I haven't missed anything.

So, my question to you guys: Is this a good HT build? Is there anything I'm missing here? Any suggestions/critiques/fixes?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS315HF-4-Vented-150Liters-VentVelocity.png
Views:	22
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2361320   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS315HF-4-Vented-150Liters-TransferFunc.png
Views:	35
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2361322   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS315HF-4-Vented-150Liters-SPL.png
Views:	21
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	2361324   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS315HF-4-Vented-150Liters-GroupDelay.png
Views:	18
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	2361326   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSS315HF-4-Vented-150Liters-ConeExcursion.png
Views:	18
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2361328  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RSS315HF-4-Vented-Box-150Liter.pdf (754.8 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 488
You put a lot of thought and time into this. Kudos for a well thought out process. Driver size is more important than you might think...a 15 or 18 will give you a lot more.

Scroll down in this section and read the vbss sub thread. They are super cheap to build, similar in size to what you are thinking of building, use an inexpensive 18 pro driver from dayton, and the design is done completely by a professional designer doing this just to help people out. I have seen and heard them, they are terrific. You can build 2 easily and get a nu1000dsp amp and get extension to 16hz and below...proven.

Just an idea for you!
aron7awol likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Your avr will not high pass the sub. The plate amp likely has a built it high pass that should be good for you but you should check the specs.

You should model with that high pass filter included. It will lower the air speed and excursion. It will also chop off some of the low end spl.

I would suggest tuning at 20hz with that driver in a cab that size.

I have a 315hf-4 and it's a great 12" driver. Mine was in a 4ft3 ported to 20hz and was very flat in room with little eq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post
You put a lot of thought and time into this. Kudos for a well thought out process. Driver size is more important than you might think...a 15 or 18 will give you a lot more.

Scroll down in this section and read the vbss sub thread. They are super cheap to build, similar in size to what you are thinking of building, use an inexpensive 18 pro driver from dayton, and the design is done completely by a professional designer doing this just to help people out. I have seen and heard them, they are terrific. You can build 2 easily and get a nu1000dsp amp and get extension to 16hz and below...proven.

Just an idea for you!
Thanks, I guess I'm a bit obsessive with any of my hobbies, and I really don't want to screw up a $300+ sub.

The VBSS is (obviously) a fair bit of inspiration for the dual port styling I'm looking at, but I'm not positive I need a 15 or 18, let alone 2 of them and a dsp amp and
post #5 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Your avr will not high pass the sub. The plate amp likely has a built it high pass that should be good for you but you should check the specs.

You should model with that high pass filter included. It will lower the air speed and excursion. It will also chop off some of the low end spl.

I would suggest tuning at 20hz with that driver in a cab that size.

I have a 315hf-4 and it's a great 12&quot; driver. Mine was in a 4ft3 ported to 20hz and was very flat in room with little eq.
Understood, I'll look into the amp and see if it has a high pass built in. I will need to update the model, as you said, so I'll do that tonight.

I haven't run the calculations yet, but wouldn't tuning down to 20 hz, all else equal with this cab, drastically increase the length of the vents? Right now they're modeled to 17" long, and thats exactly what the kit comes with on PE, so curious if there's a reason I should change it to 20 hz especially if I have a 20hz high pass?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 904
There's a good chance your tune will come in lower than the model anyhow, so use the ports as they are.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
There's a good chance your tune will come in lower than the model anyhow, so use the ports as they are.
Gotcha, sounds good. Thanks for mentioning the plate amp will likely have a high pass built in - there's none on the spec sheet, but it seems decently well documented that it has a high pass at 30hz with a roll off of 12db/octave below that. I'll have to model what that looks like when I get home, but it seems unlikely it'll be good, so might switch to the spa250 for the same price or bump up to the inuke1000dsp if necessary, considering the spa250 doesn't seem to have a high pass built in..
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I built this driver in a ported 3.2 cu ft enclosure tuned to 28 hz with 4 inch flared port. I have to say it is a great little sub. My SVS buddies are in disbelief on the overall output of the sub. I run it with a Behringer EP2500
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I recently sold my RSS315HF-8 and BASH300 to get a pair of Infinity 1260s and an iNuke3000DSP.

Here are my thoughts:

- the RSS315HF is an awesome driver. Very low distortion, hits hard in a ported box, great for home theatre. As @petethekiller suggested to me, don't bother with a sealed box for this sub. Especially a smaller sealed box. It oil cans really easily. That issue went away completely when I put it in a ported box.

- In a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 19 Hz, this thing played flat to 20 Hz in room. I actually think I have a null around 20 Hz or it would have played lower, because my Infinities tuned to 25 Hz play to almost exactly the same as the Dayton did.

- This sub likes a big box, I personally think 4 cubes with a 19-20 Hz tune is perfect.

- If you can get an iNuke with DSP over the plate amp, I highly recommend it. I held off getting an iNuke for a long time, used a lot of plate amps, and I can tell you I wish I switched earlier. The DSP is a lot of fun to play with and can really help you tailor the sub to the room.

It's not the end of the world if you stick with a plate amp, but if the Yung has a HPF at 30 Hz I would opt for a BASH500 or 300 instead. They have a ~18 Hz HPF. You should also include that in your modeling. It will change some of the other outputs.

My Dayton/300 combo was hitting 110 dB easily in room from 20 Hz and up.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethekiller View Post
I built this driver in a ported 3.2 cu ft enclosure tuned to 28 hz with 4 inch flared port. I have to say it is a great little sub. My SVS buddies are in disbelief on the overall output of the sub. I run it with a Behringer EP2500
Good to know! Everyone seems to be suggesting a significantly smaller box than I was planning on going for - any reason you chose a 3.2cuft ported instead of larger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55 View Post
I recently sold my RSS315HF-8 and BASH300 to get a pair of Infinity 1260s and an iNuke3000DSP.

Here are my thoughts:

- the RSS315HF is an awesome driver. Very low distortion, hits hard in a ported box, great for home theatre. As @petethekiller suggested to me, don't bother with a sealed box for this sub. Especially a smaller sealed box. It oil cans really easily. That issue went away completely when I put it in a ported box.

- In a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 19 Hz, this thing played flat to 20 Hz in room. I actually think I have a null around 20 Hz or it would have played lower, because my Infinities tuned to 25 Hz play to almost exactly the same as the Dayton did.

- This sub likes a big box, I personally think 4 cubes with a 19-20 Hz tune is perfect.

- If you can get an iNuke with DSP over the plate amp, I highly recommend it. I held off getting an iNuke for a long time, used a lot of plate amps, and I can tell you I wish I switched earlier. The DSP is a lot of fun to play with and can really help you tailor the sub to the room.

It's not the end of the world if you stick with a plate amp, but if the Yung has a HPF at 30 Hz I would opt for a BASH500 or 300 instead. They have a ~18 Hz HPF. You should also include that in your modeling. It will change some of the other outputs.

Hope this helps.
It does, thanks!

Why a ported box around 4cuft? I thought larger gave a better response with this driver? I do like the low tune, though.

With the plate vs external, I like the plate amps cause its an all in one thing, I don't need an entire stereo rack to house my gear. I would like to go with the Bash 300, but I need 220v input power. It looks like there's some easy mods people have posted, clip two resistors and solder in a new wire, but I've never soldered on an actual circuit board before, so idk. I'd get the Dayton spa250, but I don't think it has a built in hpf...

edit: Just modeled out the Bash 300 with a hpf at 18hz, it looks awesome there. Vent changes to 8.2cm aka ~3in vent, stays the same length. Only qualm is port air velocity goes up to ~25 m/s at 18-20hz, which may be audible. If it bothers me, I'll just buy new vents probably and mess with it some more.

Looks like the Bash 300w with a voltage mod is the answer! Thanks!

edit2:

Here we go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	order.png
Views:	220
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	2361876  

Last edited by xelauir; 02-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelauir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by petethekiller View Post
Good to know! Everyone seems to be suggesting a significantly smaller box than I was planning on going for - any reason you chose a 3.2cuft ported instead of larger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55 View Post

Here are my thoughts:

Hope this helps.
It does, thanks!

Why a ported box around 4cuft? I thought larger gave a better response with this driver? I do like the low tune, though.

With the plate vs external, I like the plate amps cause its an all in one thing, I don't need an entire stereo rack to house my gear. I would like to go with the Bash 300, but I need 220v input power. It looks like there's some easy mods people have posted, clip two resistors and solder in a new wire, but I've never soldered on an actual circuit board before, so idk. I'd get the Dayton spa250, but I don't think it has a built in hpf...

edit: Just modeled out the Bash 300 with a hpf at 18hz, it looks awesome there. Vent changes to 8.2cm aka ~3in vent, stays the same length. Only qualm is port air velocity goes up to ~25 m/s at 18-20hz, which may be audible. If it bothers me, I'll just buy new vents probably and mess with it some more.

Looks like the Bash 300w with a voltage mod is the answer! Thanks!

edit2:

Here we go!
Glad it helped [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I realized the 8 ohm version I had might have box requirements than the 4 ohm.

Did you order the Bash300? I can have a look at modeling this driver once I?m on my computer tonight.

The thing you have to keep in mind is the BASH has a peaking high pass filter, so modeling with a standard BT isn?t the same.

I also believe the Dayton plate amps have a HPF built in at 20 Hz. Will double check tonight. I think it?s safe to assume all plate amps do.

Are you also set on using the precision ports or are you open to a slot port?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page