32 Inch Subwoofer Driver Dilemma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #1 of 182 Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 35
32 Inch Subwoofer Driver Dilemma

Because of a few past non-audio projects, I have a commercial Alibaba account with a long history and a good reputation. Out of boredom, I went to Alibaba the other day to look at subwoofer drivers. And I stumbled across a few 32 inch drivers, including one made by a company with a deep audio product line. The sell for $850 to $950 plus shipping, which probably puts you at around $1,100. I sent an inquiry for two evaluation units and they responded that they would sell me two for $900 including shipping. That would be 2 32-inch drivers for $450 apiece.

My questions are (1) would I be a complete idiot to buy them, and (2) does anyone have an idea what to do with them?

The subwoofer is here

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...589689045.html

And the company profile is here

https://nbfante.en.alibaba.com/

I have to admit that being the first kid on the block with a 32 inch subwoofer has its attractions but I don't want to be stupid.
Nima likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDavis View Post

I have to admit that being the first kid on the block with a 32 inch subwoofer has its attractions but I don't want to be stupid.

Except that you wouldn't be first.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post54631024

post #3 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want drivers bigger than 18" - with a good ported 18" you can get into the single digits. I suppose you could argue for sealed 24" subs, but 32" is completely unreasonably big.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want drivers bigger than 18" - with a good ported 18" you can get into the single digits. I suppose you could argue for sealed 24" subs, but 32" is completely unreasonably big.
What size barn do they need for a ported enclosure?

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #5 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Just took a look at that thread link. Forget the wife factor lol....

When your singular subwoofer is larger than your TV, you might be a redneck... - Jeff Foxworthy
ceptorman and smithsabom like this.
post #6 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Because of a few past non-audio projects, I have a commercial Alibaba account with a long history and a good reputation. Out of boredom, I went to Alibaba the other day to look at subwoofer drivers. And I stumbled across a few 32 inch drivers, including one made by a company with a deep audio product line. The sell for $850 to $950 plus shipping, which probably puts you at around $1,100. I sent an inquiry for two evaluation units and they responded that they would sell me two for $900 including shipping. That would be 2 32-inch drivers for $450 apiece.

My questions are (1) would I be a complete idiot to buy them, and (2) does anyone have an idea what to do with them?

The subwoofer is here

You will get much more feedback and info in the DIY Speaker & Subs section. One guy took a similar roll of the dice on some 24" woofers. It's common that many of these sorts of drivers aren't very well optimized or are optimized to just dump huge power into them for car audio use. There's not enough info to know what exactly you will get beyond the outward cosmetic. A 32" woofer gives you the cone area of about 3 18" woofers. That's a good reality check to conceptualize what the driver can do. Excursion really matters here, as this woofer has to move cleanly +/- 20mm just to equal two 18" woofers with +/-30mm useful Xmax. The pictured back plate looks really thin, so I'd want to see T/S parameters and how long the coil is vs the thickness of the top plate. It could be fun to play with if you actually have a location to use it in a massive box or infinite baffle, but many of these drivers are just a mix of parts that fit and look cool rather than actually work well together. Buyer beware, and know going in there is a chance it's money wasted. If you're comfortable with the possible risk, definitely check it out and share what you find.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #7 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Except that you wouldn't be first.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post54631024

I realize that and I read about his experience. When I said on the block, I meant in my little world. I a new to this, and I have learned that whatever I may think of has been conceived, produced, evaluated and improved by at least one person here, and usually several. That actually gives me some comfort. At least in this area, I would rather walk in the footsteps of giants and stand on their shoulders than head off into the woods on my own.
post #8 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only reason I can think of is to see what happens. There was a time when no one understood the need for a driver larger than 12 inches. And then is was 15, and so on. But you make a very good point that bigger is not better, and sometimes bigger is counterproductive. Really low soundwaves are unpleasant and cause nausea or worse.

I know it seems strange but I am not trying to make a really great subwoofer, at least as my primary goal. I am goofing off with parameters to see what happens firsthand. I will have to give some more thought to whether that can be done with smaller drivers. Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

The subwoofer is here

BassThatHertz got sample of some 24" driver from different manufacturer with much bigger motor. Similar weight iirc. However he payed quite the price for air freight so make sure you know exact shipping cost. And yeah, as others pointed out, motor looks kinda weakish...but if you got money to spew you might try it out.
Also, you might want to ask if possible to get 4 Ohm version...easier to drive on budget.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
post #10 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
What size barn do they need for a ported enclosure?
Well the SI HS-24 MK II that I have been looking at for my tower sub idea requires 16-20 cubic feet ported. A 32 inch driver would have 78% more surface area. The HS-24 are 2000 watt drivers, while the 32 is 8000. I do not have manufacturer specs yet but I am going to guess that 40 cubic feet would be in the range. I have been working on a tube enclosure for 2 HS-24 that is 6 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. That would have a gross volume of 42.41 cubic feet. Assuming that driver and other internal elements were no more than 2.41 cubic feet,that would leave 40. I don't know for a fact that 40 is the right number. I can get away with that tower in my space. The tower is made from curved 5/8 inch plywood, not a sonotube.

The HS-24 requires 8-12 cubic feet sealed, so that seems like it should be more easily accomplished. I
post #11 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orijen View Post
Just took a look at that thread link. Forget the wife factor lol....

When your singular subwoofer is larger than your TV, you might be a redneck... - Jeff Foxworthy
Ouch, I am from Seattle, and being a redneck would force me to move to Arkansas. At the moment, we have a 60-inch Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, but my intention is to replace it with an LG 86 inch model. I would hope that would dwarf the subwoofer. That or I might never invited anyone over to see it and just try being a redneck every now and then.
post #12 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
You will get much more feedback and info in the DIY Speaker & Subs section. One guy took a similar roll of the dice on some 24" woofers. It's common that many of these sorts of drivers aren't very well optimized or are optimized to just dump huge power into them for car audio use. There's not enough info to know what exactly you will get beyond the outward cosmetic. A 32" woofer gives you the cone area of about 3 18" woofers. That's a good reality check to conceptualize what the driver can do. Excursion really matters here, as this woofer has to move cleanly +/- 20mm just to equal two 18" woofers with +/-30mm useful Xmax. The pictured back plate looks really thin, so I'd want to see T/S parameters and how long the coil is vs the thickness of the top plate. It could be fun to play with if you actually have a location to use it in a massive box or infinite baffle, but many of these drivers are just a mix of parts that fit and look cool rather than actually work well together. Buyer beware, and know going in there is a chance it's money wasted. If you're comfortable with the possible risk, definitely check it out and share what you find.
Thanks, this was really helpful. It actually would take 4 18 inch drivers (254.4 square inches) to equal a 32 inch (1,017.85 square inches), but your point is made. 4 18 inch drivers would not be difficult. I am told that this driver was developed as a home audio subwoofer and not for a car. Who knows if they are telling the truth. I will check into the specs you mentioned, and if they cannot answer, I will assume that the answer would not be good. The idea would be to build a box the right size, although it would be a tube shape. Again, this was really helpful, and I appreciate it.
post #13 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
BassThatHertz got sample of some 24" driver from different manufacturer with much bigger motor. Similar weight iirc. However he payed quite the price for air freight so make sure you know exact shipping cost. And yeah, as others pointed out, motor looks kinda weakish...but if you got money to spew you might try it out.
Also, you might want to ask if possible to get 4 Ohm version...easier to drive on budget.
Thanks, especially for the 4 Ohm advice. I wondered about the motor as well. It seems typical for Chinese models, but there must be a reason they are not dominant in the audio world.
post #14 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Ouch, I am from Seattle, and being a redneck would force me to move to Arkansas. At the moment, we have a 60-inch Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, but my intention is to replace it with an LG 86 inch model. I would hope that would dwarf the subwoofer. That or I might never invited anyone over to see it and just try being a redneck every now and then.
Ouch?? Oh boy.. My post was not intended to offend anyone or have anyone get all butthurt about it. It was more of a "funny"...
post #15 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orijen View Post
Ouch?? Oh boy.. My post was not intended to offend anyone or have anyone get all butthurt about it. It was more of a "funny"...
It was totally taken as funny, and my response was intended to respond with the same humor. At the same time, you seemed to have a point to make about how conspicuous it would be, and that point was well made and well taken. I sometimes wish there were a little more of that in forums.
wvu80 and pdasterly like this.
post #16 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
P.T. Barnum is knocking on your front door with a message for you ...
ceptorman likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 02-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #17 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Thanks, this was really helpful. It actually would take 4 18 inch drivers (254.4 square inches) to equal a 32 inch (1,017.85 square inches), but your point is made. 4 18 inch drivers would not be difficult. I am told that this driver was developed as a home audio subwoofer and not for a car. Who knows if they are telling the truth. I will check into the specs you mentioned, and if they cannot answer, I will assume that the answer would not be good. The idea would be to build a box the right size, although it would be a tube shape. Again, this was really helpful, and I appreciate it.
You're welcome. My relative size numbers come from effective cone area based on what Mach 5 has posted for specs. The cones are always smaller than the nominal diameter, much like a 2x4 is not 2x4". 3:1 is roughly the correct ratio of effective area.
post #18 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Mach 5s 32 has 34mm xmax and an extremely powerful neo motor. It can do great under 15cf box but the shape would be weird to actually get it to fit lol.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #19 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A 32 inch driver would have 78% more surface area. The HS-24 are 2000 watt drivers, while the 32 is 8000. I do not have manufacturer specs yet but I am going to guess that 40 cubic feet would be in the range. I have been working on a tube enclosure for 2 HS-24 that is 6 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. That would have a gross volume of 42.41 cubic feet. Assuming that driver and other internal elements were no more than 2.41 cubic feet,that would leave 40. I don't know for a fact that 40 is the right number. I can get away with that tower in my space. The tower is made from curved 5/8 inch plywood, not a sonotube.
The HS-24 requires 8-12 cubic feet sealed, so that seems like it should be more easily accomplished. I
Can you just sit inside of the enclosure for the 32 ? Maybe put it facing out of one of the listening room walls and use the whole room as the enclosure?

I settled (almost) for two SVS 16 ultra sealed box units but have an old 8 cubic ft enclosure with an 18 inch JBL driver on a 1KW Crown amp I am trying to work into the system for more punch. I guess we should not have to ask how it sounds since we should be able to hear it! Good luck. An interesting endeavor at least!

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #20 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Mach 5s 32 has 34mm xmax and an extremely powerful neo motor. It can do great under 15cf box but the shape would be weird to actually get it to fit lol.
That price tag tho

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #21 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

big sub

Quote:
A 32 inch driver would have 78% more surface area. The HS-24 are 2000 watt drivers, while the 32 is 8000. I do not have manufacturer specs yet but I am going to guess that 40 cubic feet would be in the range. I have been working on a tube enclosure for 2 HS-24 that is 6 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. That would have a gross volume of 42.41 cubic feet. Assuming that driver and other internal elements were no more than 2.41 cubic feet,that would leave 40. I don't know for a fact that 40 is the right number. I can get away with that tower in my space. The tower is made from curved 5/8 inch plywood, not a sonotube.
Can you just sit inside of the enclosure for the 32 ? Maybe put it facing out of one of the listening room walls and use the whole room as the enclosure?

I settled (almost) for two SVS 16 ultra sealed box units but have an old 8 cubic ft enclosure with an 18 inch JBL driver on a 1KW Crown amp I am trying to work into the system for more punch. I guess we should not have to ask how it sounds since we should be able to hear it! Good luck. An interesting endeavor at least!

post #22 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
That price tag tho
Lol, yup but you get what you pay for. There are very few guys willing to spend the money on the 32 but then again, people on here complain when SI raised the price 15$ on the cheapest 18 on the market.... and now its gone and that 15$ has turned into 150$ to get the next cheapest lol
Electrodynamic and wvu80 like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #23 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Sd of an 18 is generally aroud 1200. Sd of all the 32s I've seen is around 3600. Mark was pretty much on the nose there.
kibe29 and wvu80 like this.
post #24 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You called it, I didn't 'Idiot' I'll agree on. Get into some car stereo guys ground pounder and listen to a 18" with a xover below 30Hz to 15 Hz, want to puke or spend the next 3 hours nauseated. Worst audio experience I ever had back in 1993 (right at the time I visited Soundstream Home Audio in Sacramento, their venture beyond car stereo. Stewart Electronics (not filmscreen) was doing all of their audio electronics and experimenting beyond car stereo realms. They had great Home Audio components, 32" drivers isn't one of them.
post #25 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I agree. You can add more if needed and you don't need 3 friends on steroids to help move the cabinets to their locations within the house. More subs in staggered locations is also easier to integrate
post #26 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
Quote:
I agree. You can add more if needed and you don't need 3 friends on steroids to help move the cabinets to their locations within the house. More subs in staggered locations is also easier to integrate
Quite honestly, a well built and designed 18" driver like the Stereo Integrity HST-18 in a nice ported box that's tuned low, or something like the JTR Cap 4000 ULF will do anything you could ever need bass-wise.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #27 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
You're welcome. My relative size numbers come from effective cone area based on what Mach 5 has posted for specs. The cones are always smaller than the nominal diameter, much like a 2x4 is not 2x4". 3:1 is roughly the correct ratio of effective area.
Thanks very much that was helpful and something that I overlooked. That makes a 32 inch woofer less impressive and compelling. It struck me as something and unusual, and something that might be used to gain some insight into the potential for larger drivers. We certainly have the capacity to make larger drivers, although I suspect there would be some technical issues, and there seems to be a reason for the migration from 12 inch to 15 inch and larger drivers over the last 20 years. For me, this is a project, and a project only has value if it produces some useful information.

I have considered both a 32 inch driver in an enclosure and for open baffle. I thought that the increased size might increase the effective bass for open baffle. I would not really expect it to do anything different in an enclosure except to produce more noise, but again it could extend the range down.

There are many smart people here, and my hope is that some of them might have guidance as to whether my project is worth the effort. I realize that advice is limited by the available information, and I am just looking for general notions. If I do this, I will post everything along the way and welcome any advice. I would acquire whatever devices are necessary to measure the results to create hard data.

A huge thanks to all that have responded. It has been very helpful.
post #28 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post

Actually I would be able to. It is made of 5/8 inch plywood in half circles that make a 36 inch diameter circle. They can cut the halves into quarters with a band saw, and the pieces still make a clean circle. My plan is to leave a quarter circle open while I make it so I don't have to climb into the tube. When it is done. I will make the last quarter into a door that seals tight. My purpose for that is to retain easy access to make modifications. I was thinking more of putting one of my kids in it to see what happens. I have ordered the plywood and will pick it up early next week. Will post pictures for everyone's amusement.
post #29 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Lol, yup but you get what you pay for. There are very few guys willing to spend the money on the 32 but then again, people on here complain when SI raised the price 15$ on the cheapest 18 on the market.... and now its gone and that 15$ has turned into 150$ to get the next cheapest lol
$4,000 is over my budget but I would love to see some real-world evaluations of it. Wonder if any have sold.
post #30 of 182 Old 02-17-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
$4,000 is over my budget but I would love to see some real-world evaluations of it. Wonder if any have sold.

How does that evaluate? FYI, all rattling noises are from house falling apart.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page