Small yet Mighty. The tale of the 12's - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
You need to be creative man. Instead of a big black box, do what i did: make the box look like something else ! Search for «3D wall paper» on ebay. There is soooo many cool ways to make that box disseapper with a creative wall paper, like my sonos. I am thinking about something similar on my new boxes

Heck, what about making it look like a aquarium? Ask your wife what she would want

Trust me, been there, not happening lol...

I’ve suggested I make it look like a buffet table, build it like a half wall that was part of the floor plan w the house, just about any possible way and it’s just not worth the fight .

I mean I’m getting 12 drivers as is, not worth the fight for the other 4 in another box.

I’ve thought about converting the Sonotubes fro DO to boxes and then go 2 per side DO. But I’d need bigger boxes and that’s not gonna happen either.

I’m content with what I can do. 4 subs spaced around the corners of the room.

The setup I’ve got will already be amp limited until I buy a third Crown XLS2000 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (so ignore any typos grammatical errors because my iPhone predictive text stinks)

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 349 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3718
Ok then.

How is the project going BTW? Any progress?

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #33 of 74 Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok then.

How is the project going BTW? Any progress?

Not much. Been trying to get my and my buddies schedules aligned and it’s just difficult as we are both super busy (and he’s 3 hours away one way).

Right now my wife has at least made piece with it lol....

Just need to make sure it’s heavy as hell and braced for no vibration......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (so ignore any typos grammatical errors because my iPhone predictive text stinks)
Chris Popovich and Nalleh like this.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 06-04-2018, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Small yet Mighty. The tale of the 12's

Update:

So as I said, I'm a slow burner when it comes to projects. That said I'm due an update.

I've started to order parts for everything to get it together, and also working on the finalized Sonotube plans. I haven't come up with a good name for them yet.

Here is where we stand on parts for both builds:

December 2017: Ordered speaker wire, 60 feet of 14/2 (to connect all three subs to amps) and 15 feet of 14/4 (to internally wire the subs). I am using Furez wire ordered from DouglasConnection. For all you DIY guys out there, I highly recommend Doug. He's based out of Texas, but he's got a lot of good stuff. I like his Furez wire better than the Monoprice stuff I've used in the past, but cables are a sensitive subject around here lol.

Needless to say, take a look at his inventory of connectors and wire, he's a solid fella to deal with and fun to be around (we met at LSAF 2017).

Today: I ordered everything I need from Parts Express. Mainly the speakon connectors, and the quick disconnects for the subs.

I have one remaining order to place, the fasteners. I'm using these ones from @dgage . I prefer them to T-Nuts or Hurricane nuts. I'm going to send some up to @eng-399 to test out as well. I'm going to be placing an order for 120 of them so I can upgrade the entire setup with them and have some left over.

Pics of install from my previous UM18 flatpack build

Then lastly I will be paying my buddy to pick up all the local materials we need for the build, ¾" MDF, Sonotubes, Glue, etc. He will likely do a bunch of the pre work (if not dang near all of it) on the Sonotube subs as he already has possession of 8 drivers and one of my Crown amps to use to test. I will be mailing him some of the fasteners and also some speaker wire/solder and disconnects.

The Organ Donor logo is still a work in progress and I hope to have help from a buddy of mine in 3D printing the logo. I've found a couple cool fonts that are close to what I want, but I still need to draw it out. I will be posting it here once I get it finished. I do not have a time setup to drop the cabinet by my buddy's house yet either.

So that’s where we are for now. I'm hoping to wrap up by summers end, but I'm making no promises.
bubbrik likes this.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 06-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #35 of 74 Old 06-04-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice. I pays to look ahead and have everything ready come assembly time

When i built my sonos, the last ting to arrive was the drivers, so all that was left was assembly

Can’t wait to see how all this ends up, and how it sounds

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #36 of 74 Old 06-04-2018, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice. I pays to look ahead and have everything ready come assembly time

When i built my sonos, the last ting to arrive was the drivers, so all that was left was assembly

Can’t wait to see how all this ends up, and how it sounds

In my case the drivers are here which helps for testing the cuts as we go lol.

Nalleh likes this.

post #37 of 74 Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Sonotubes will be ~3.75 cf and wired to 2 ohms each. In that box I need about 600 Watts to really get em going but I will if all goes to plan, have 1050 on tap per set of drivers so I’m good to go.

I know I said I’d keep the fronts to 3 (so a combined 6), but I need the height to match the mains I’m hoping to do next, and 38” seems to be a decent height for mains, whereas 32 doesn’t cut it lol.

My rear two subs will be about 6cf each and hopefully will each have their own XLS2000 and the fronts driven off a third amp.

Nalleh likes this.

post #38 of 74 Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Necro bump.....

So for those of you who thought I was kidding in my first post about being a slow burn, I obviously wasnt. I do have a spirit animal.

Its obviously been winter, and my buddy and I have been busy with our families and respective work. That said, I was looking at my Organ Donor build and wondering the following:

Should I make it Dual Opposed instead of all 4 drivers front firing? That would help reduce the cabinet vibrations, which is good since there will be a lamp and some other items on top of this.

This is what I'm looking at now (front firing)...

Additionally it would make placing the drivers a bit easier and not nearly as cramped. But I'd likely have to decrease the depth of the build, and I also dont know how the drivers would react to being literally 1-2 inches from the wall. Would that cause response issues?

Thoughts appreciated.

P.S. I'm hoping to get restarted on this build in the next month or so, weather permitting.
eriksells916 likes this.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 03-06-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #39 of 74 Old 03-08-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
....I was looking at my Organ Donor build and wondering the following:

Should I make it Dual Opposed instead of all 4 drivers front firing? That would help reduce the cabinet vibrations, which is good since there will be a lamp and some other items on top of this.

This is what I'm looking at now (front firing)...

Additionally it would make placing the drivers a bit easier and not nearly as cramped. But I'd likely have to decrease the depth of the build, and I also dont know how the drivers would react to being literally 1-2 inches from the wall. Would that cause response issues?

Thoughts appreciated.

P.S. I'm hoping to get restarted on this build in the next month or so, weather permitting.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #40 of 74 Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I would think the "array" setup with all front firing would be better. I can't really imagine more benefits of firing a woofer at a wall at close proximity, but I don't have enough experience or theory knowledge to be definitive. Hopefully someone can chime in.
post #41 of 74 Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My thought was to make it dual opposed mainly to kill cabinet vibrations, and make it easier to lay out lol..........

But I may just stick to what I was originally thinking......

post #42 of 74 Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don’t think going DO would be a problem, there are lots of DO subs out there, and they work like gangbusters

I had a PSA S3000i and it has two 15" DO. I could place it within inches of a wall, no problem.

Nalleh’s HT
post #43 of 74 Old 03-09-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
I'd do DO, near the wall makes it work better by coupling to the wall me thinks.
post #44 of 74 Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Baring any crazy stuff coming up between now and tomorrow, I will be making MDF dust and hope to have these built minus finishes tomorrow...

The finishes should go fast once I order fabric and use some rattle can black paint lol..

JCJetta, corradizo, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

post #45 of 74 Old 06-01-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

“The best laid plans of mice and me are opt to go awry”.......

So today I spent most of it in transit to my buddy’s (2.5 hours one way), and then laying out my concept and tweaking it, then building what we could. We intended to get everything done, but it didn’t work out that way...

Here are some pics I took of what we did. I had the Sonotubes already, which just left the need to buy 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF, 1 1/4 Dowel and some misc stuff.

We knew going in we had limited time, so because neither of us have done a sonotube, we gave it priority. We started setting everything up before we started working...

After ripping one sheet of MDF into two sections of 17 x 17” squares we glued and brad nailed the double baffles together. We did a total of 4 pairs of baffles (top/bottom x 2), plus the two bottom plates.

Then we cut down the 48” Sonotubes down to 34” with a table saw. It was “fun” for sure lol....

Then we measured, got out the router and cut the top/bottom baffles to be flush with the outer edge of the sonotube.

Then we measure the inner diameter and cut half the baffle to sit inside it. We intend to use gorilla glue (because it expands), to fill any voids.

Final baffles below. We did have one screw up so we have to cut some more stuff but we have the measurements down (and a jig made) so it should be easy.

^Note the gap is what will be filled by the gorilla glue expansion and the baffle beneath is flush with the outer end, making a perfect seal.

At this point we’d burned through his router bit and with the time to get to the store and back, plus cleanup before he had friends over (he’d blanked he had early afternoon/evening plans) we just called it on the sonotubes for the day.

That left looking at the Hammond PR40 cabinet and putting together a plan for how to build things.

We ripped out what was there and again were unable to take out the front baffle as the tools we needed were elsewhere....

But we got the plan formulated, and at the end of the day, it’s a basic box so he’s good on building it.

But here is where we got.

He’s gonna work on stuff when he’s got a bit more time but we made very good progress.

Some of the stuff still sitting in anticipation of being used...

So that’s my update. More will come as my buddy continues to make progress.

JCJetta, eng-399, Nalleh and 1 others like this.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 06-01-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #46 of 74 Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Massive update from yesterday. Had a marathon day to complete the Organ Donor build and it is alive and kicking.

I got up at 4:30 AM on Sunday morning, got in the car and drove to my buddys in Evansville. I arrived around 7:00 and we got to work quick.

First things first we decided to remove MOST of the existing front baffle. We ended up leaving the sides mainly because we were scared of damaging the finish on the visible sides with the cutter. This worked good because it left the mounting screws for the original grill, and also ensured I have MORE than enough space for cone movement before it hits the grill.

We decided the best size box was to leaving some space at the top (there are pieces connecting the existing panel together there we didnt want to screw with), and also leave the bottom (original plan was to remove that as well and drop the box to the floor). After those sizing adjustments we ended up with a box with these dimensions. I was shooting for a 6 cubic foot box but in all liklehood am closer to 5.0 (5.3 prior to drivers and bracing). Since its a sealed box and these JBL's aren't known for digging deep, I wont lose much down low, and I plan to EQ them with a shelf filter anyway.

The box came along nicely as it wasnt as much a PITA as cutting 150 million baffles for the Sonotubes.

Once it was all glued up and the glue set we did a test fit. We discovered our initial plan (the box goes up, rotates in) wouldnt work as the tolerance for the turn was too tight. This was done initially to save the rear horizontal piece that held part of the top grill on, and just looked quite nice. We ending up takign CONSIDERABLE time to remove it as carefully as we could, so it could be reattached later.

The box fit like a glove, so tight in fact I will need to install nylon straps at the back to aid with removing the box if I need to work on it as it wont budge unless you pull it out JUST right lol...

At this point (it was close to 2:30 PM) I left my buddys house and drove the 2 hours 45 min trip back to mine to continue working on the box.

Rather than go with duratex, my buddy had some leftover black speaker box carpet, so in the interest of time I decided to use that instead. It went on fairly easily with spray adhesive and looks great. Plus the front grill isnt easily removed, so I wont be showing that off much if at all.
I ended up installing the fabric on the front and back of the enclosure. I also sanded down the bottom of the Hammond PR cabinet and attached fabric there as there is a small portion that could be viewable with the grill on, and it also helps slide the box in. The sides and top currently have no fabric. I HAVE debated installing patches on the side of the Hammond cabinet for similar reasons to why I did it on the bottom of the box. I have extra so we will see.

After installing it I did a test fit to ensure it would still fit. Tolerance at the top was tight to begin with so was concerned if I still could get it in. Much easier to man handle a box without 4 drivers weighing it down lol.

Some of you may notice I didn't seal all the sections of the box. My OCD lead me to start, and in the interest of time I stopped. I made a few compromises and this is always something I can go back and do later if its even needed (likely not we used a TON of glue when building the box)

The rear actually looks better than I thought it would. I was originally unsure if I should carpet or paint it (which would have happened at a later date). I'm glad I went with carpet just to get it done. I think it was around 10:30 pm before I had the box fully carpeted.

Wiring the 4 drivers was a lot of "fun". 4 SVC 4 ohm drivers wired to a 4 ohm load. Lots of quick disconnects and fun. I wired and tested them to ensure the were all playing prior to screwing them into the cabinet. Easier to troubleshoot that way.

Here is the wiring diagram I used to wire everything.

Here is the final product, completed at around 1:00 am on Monday morning (the next day). Its currently missing the front grill which is mounted using screws from behind, so its a PITA to take off, so for now while I dial in EQ and whatnot I'm leaving it detached. It also needs some cleaning up which will be done in the next day or two.

Whats left for me to do now is all based on some of the compromises I made yesterday just to get this up and running.

I bought a bunch of REALLY nice connectors from David Gage of Deep Sea to use initially, but in order to get it up and running,I just used drywall screws for now. Since I have only a single 3/4" baffle I would have had to install blocking (8 pieces) on the back of the box for each drivers, meaning installing 32 pieces of blocking, then drilling, mounting hardware, etc. I can always do that at a later date.

I also didnt have any speaker gasket, but with the carpet and a really tight fit I think the drivers will be OK for now.

Also made a compromise on the speaker wiring. I bought really nice 14 gauge Furez speaker wire. The quick disconnects I got weren't super tight so I did a lot of extra crimping to make them work. Also since I needed to combine a few wire together and the disconnects were only rated for a single 14 gauge run, I ended up cutting a 1" section out about 2" above the disconnect and stripping that section, and then pairing the connected wire to it, then wrapped the whole portion with lots of electrical tape to keep it safe. At a later date I may go back in and solder those connections, I just didnt have the material for that on me.

I also need to buy some pillows and stuff the box a bit. I'm aware of the data on how a box performs stuff v unstuffed on databass and that I may be giving up a bit of SPL to stuff it, but given that its literally less than 2 feet from my back, I am ok with that.

All in all I'm super happy with how this box came out, and feel the few compromises I made were worth it to get this thing up and running.

Hopefully today I can get it connected (have to pull out my rack and re-organize) and take some measurements and EQ it.

Then I just need to wrap up my two Sonotubes, which we didnt even touch yesterday.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 07-15-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #47 of 74 Old 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Enders,

What a cool/unique build! I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with the grill put back on, because that grill is pretty cool and kicks up the retro/nostalgic feel.

Regarding the 12 JBL driver.....I'm a fan myself. In my home office, I have 3 of them in a ported box. They're a fun/high value driver and they sound great as well.
femi likes this.
post #48 of 74 Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
Enders,

What a cool/unique build! I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with the grill put back on, because that grill is pretty cool and kicks up the retro/nostalgic feel.

Regarding the 12 JBL driver.....I'm a fan myself. In my home office, I have 3 of them in a ported box. They're a fun/high value driver and they sound great as well.
Here’s a preview. It’s just sitting in there as I’m exploring options to allow it to come off from the front.

I’m also debating replacing the fabric with basic black speaker cloth but feel that would be a disservice to it...

Here is my amp rack for the subs currently (minus my second Chane which needs repair). The item at the top is my custom MiniDSP /x4 balanced. Build thread link in my signature for those interested.

For now the 2 enclosures each will be powered off a bridges XLS2000. The Sonotubes will be powered off a Chane 3600 in stereo (600 watts @ 8 ohm which will ensure I don’t blow the drivers).

Eventually my second Chane will be repaired and I will run EACH sub in the sonotube off it’s own channel of my two Chanes.

But for now I’m good.

Also worth mentioning again, I have 3 20 amp dedicated circuits to pull from. I plan to wire all 4 sub amps to one of them. My B&K 200.5 has its own, and my TV and all other source gear will continue to use the third.

Hoodcom likes this.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 07-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #49 of 74 Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Limited time to play with them before my wife got home, so I just ran XT32 with each sub connected to its own output. Then I played some clips and music.

Good news from testing today.

-Both boxes have panel resonances that increase as volume goes up. However with a LAMP on top the lamp DOESNT SHAKE even at insane levels. I clip the input before the lamp moves noticeably enough to see. Even have a google home on it and no movement.

- I’m getting increase in tactile feel in my chair over the single enclosure (w 4 subs too).

-Low shelf filter applied and works as anticipated. I could likely increase it if needed. (Frequency of 45hz, Gain 10db, Q .9)

Bad news from testing today.

- I can’t find my UMIK as I’d hoped to have REW sweeps to check increase in SPL down low.

- Didn’t get as much of an increase as expected so need to check if one sub needs to be out of phase with the other and overall measure. Good news here is I have Friday night to myself this upcoming week so if I find it, I will be testing for sure.
JCJetta and Nalleh like this.

post #50 of 74 Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So after getting some sleep and letting my brain work on things for a day I came up with a viable option (I think) for mounting the grill and being able to remove it from the front. But I want folks feedback.

Originally this was a open back enclosure, so the grill was screwed on from the back of the baffle. There are spacers that the screws would go through and then bit into the grill.

Instead of keeping it like that, which makes working on drivers, showing it off, etc much harder, what if I:

1. Glue a thick metal washer on the existing spacers on the box

2. Glue neo magnets over the existing holes from the screws

Would that work well enough using just the 4 existing spacers? Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by EndersShadow; 07-16-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #51 of 74 Old 07-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If you're able to thread in a bolt from the speaker side, you wouldn't have to worry about adhesive failing. I'd just make sure any markings on top of the bolt head are ground smooth so the magnet grabs on well.

Otherwise, if the fit is ok, you could add some foam or felt along the edges of the grill so that it's a slight pressure fit into the cabinet opening.
post #52 of 74 Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was thinking you could just hot glue Velcro on each side. I like the felt pressure for idea too.
post #53 of 74 Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
If you're able to thread in a bolt from the speaker side, you wouldn't have to worry about adhesive failing. I'd just make sure any markings on top of the bolt head are ground smooth so the magnet grabs on well.

Otherwise, if the fit is ok, you could add some foam or felt along the edges of the grill so that it's a slight pressure fit into the cabinet opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Was thinking you could just hot glue Velcro on each side. I like the felt pressure for idea too.

Good idea guys. I will take some time to think about em.

You are right in that it’s pretty much a pressure fit as is, so I may go that route. I do like the idea of the magnets but long term adhesive could become an issue.

post #54 of 74 Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Found my UMIK mic and had some time so I started doing some tweaking...... my graph looks good but I need to let things settle a bit before I determine if tonight was a total success.  I feel like I'm missing some of what I had earlier this evening. Here is what I did in case someone notices something obviously wrong.
  • I turned off XT32, set the Crossover for my bass in my Denon to 250 and took measurements.
  • I tweaked the distance in the MiniDSP between my subs until it looked the best I could get it.
  • I used REW to calculate filters which I applied to my MiniDSP.
  • Then I went and ran XT32, but each of my subs are on a separate sub channel.
  • Once XT32 was done I took measurements again and they appeared improved.
  • At that point I added my boost and took my last set of measurements for the night.
  • ​​​​​​​I've attached the REW Filters I used (mainly bringing down the top end) on the initial configuration, as well as the final REW graphs.

Here are the REW Filters I applied. It was mainly cutting the top end so I didnt have to massively boost the low end......

Here is where I ended up after it was all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REW EQ Filters.png
Views:	185
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	2592690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2592692  

post #55 of 74 Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you using one pre out from the avr? When you adjusted the delay did the responses add together constructively?
post #56 of 74 Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Are you using one pre out from the avr? When you adjusted the delay did the responses add together constructively?
No. I'm using both Sub 1 and Sub 2 on the AVR. However in REW the only option I could use was to send audio via Channel 4, which was to both subs.

I set the distance to 3ms on the MiniDSP which was the best distance for constructive gain. Any less it got worse, any more it got worse.

post #57 of 74 Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
No. I'm using both Sub 1 and Sub 2 on the AVR. However in REW the only option I could use was to send audio via Channel 4, which was to both subs.

I set the distance to 3ms on the MiniDSP which was the best distance for constructive gain. Any less it got worse, any more it got worse.

why not use 1 preout to the minidsp and then get the two subs constructively combined with the delay in the mini then EQ in the mini? This way xt32 can see them as one sub that it can apply it's own final EQ and delay to align them with your mains. Then tweak the delay in the avr to get them constructively add them through the crossover point to your mains (I'd go with the center channel). I'm a bit rusty but I think that's how it should go, no?
eng-399 and scottvalentin like this.
post #58 of 74 Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I decided to redo everything again last night. Thankfully since I save all my REW graphs I used the original Average to generate a new filter file and went from there.

I was a little bit more generous in the REW flatness target and boost section and I think it paid off.

These measurements have no smoothing applied

Here is the new filter file.

Here is the result of the new average post XT32 v the prior one.

The same average v the prior average WITH BOOST.

This is all three. As you can see its a fair compromise between them all.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 07-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #59 of 74 Old 07-25-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been playing around a bit more and this is the "new" house curve. Gonna sit tight on this one for a few weeks and see how I like it.

post #60 of 74 Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking good Enjoy

Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page