Small yet Mighty. The tale of the 12's - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 08-10-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Small yet Mighty. The tale of the 12's

Some final cleaned up pictures
*Note* Yes I know there are some dings and scuffs. I will fill them in at some point, but this isn’t meant to look perfect. It’s meant to looked like it’s been loved, because my kids will no doubt bump into it and such and I’m ok with it getting more dings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCJetta, eng-399, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Last edited by EndersShadow; 08-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 08-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 286
BEAUTIFUL!

Great idea and execution!
post #63 of 74 Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 3700
Looks awsome, and stealthy

How are you liking the sound so far?

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Looks awsome, and stealthy

How are you liking the sound so far?

Still needs tweaking. Thinking I need to adjust the signal gain as I don’t think it’s what it needs to be.... The Crowns never register above 2 lights in most material and my gain is 80% up in both Crown XLS2000s.

For now though with it being soccer season with two girls, refinishing the kitchen, and now two weddings coming up PLUS needing to finish Sonotubes.... I’m done tweaking until all subs are in place since I would have to do it all over again...

My hope is to get the Sonotubes done before Thanksgiving and maybe bribe @mtg90 and @eng-399 to come down from Chicago and help dial in the subs lol..

Hopefully this year I also buy 3 893s ORRRR 3 Vortex 12 (custom build w 2 12” passives instead of ports)..... and get those done by March 2020 lol

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #65 of 74 Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 5103
The cabinet looks great Dan! If I get time I’ll take a trip down there but both of my kids are in sports and piano lessons... story of our both of lives right.
post #66 of 74 Old 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The cabinet looks great Dan! If I get time I’ll take a trip down there but both of my kids are in sports and piano lessons... story of our both of lives right.

No worries bro! We will get something on the books sometime. Figure if we try 6-9 months from now we at least have a 40% shot of it happening lol

Maybe next summer and work it around a drag day at Lucas Oil and you come down in your hot rod and we have some fun and then some MORE fun.

post #67 of 74 Old 08-12-2019, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Replaced my first driver last night. It has voicecoil rub.

I’m down to 3 replacements so I’m eying the CS1214s in Amazon warehouse deals for another so I’m back to 4......

My OCD won’t allow me to substitute one of the other models for aesthetic reasons lol....

Also got to have my kids help me remove two drivers, and then add poly fill to the cabinet since I hadn’t done that yet.

They both wanted to keep adding and adding once I told them that adding fluffy stuff made the speaker sound better.

It’s little things like that I love. My youngest wanted to help me screw the drivers back in so she got to work a bit with tools since I did it manually so as not to strip the MDF.....

Still need to add gasket material and I’m considering slowly adding in the nice mounts I got from Dgage because I like the look and it makes it impossible to overtighten stuff.

Also I WAS able to unmount the drivers WITHOUT removing the box from the cabinet, which was a nice chance of pace.

post #68 of 74 Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I played Godzilla King of the Monsters tonight....

The bass SCARED me with how hard it was hitting so I made an executive decision.

I went from this

To this

Was still stupid loud with lots of impact, but not red lighting the Crowns as bad. Also by reducing the boost I was likely drastically reducing the distortion as these drivers aren’t really meant to dig this low...in addition to reducing driver stress....

I will do some REW later so I can see how much I lost below 20hz

This is what the Original settings provided (the tan line)

*Note* This was at a volume of 50 on the AVR. Not sure what SPL that equates to.... I was listening to Godzilla at 70.... so I’m sure it was significantly higher SPL....

Last edited by EndersShadow; 08-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #69 of 74 Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 152
That's awesome! Should still sound really good with a happy medium between those two graphs.

If you're comparing the same signal, 70 would be 20dB louder than 50... but you aren't. But I'm sure it's still louder lol
post #70 of 74 Old 08-28-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
That's awesome! Should still sound really good with a happy medium between those two graphs.

If you're comparing the same signal, 70 would be 20dB louder than 50... but you aren't. But I'm sure it's still louder lol
Yeah, when I remeasure how this new one shakes out I will be doing it at 50 as well so I can do a direct compare.

At min I know that everything from 26db and up was 20db louder..... and man it was awesome....

and I still dont have the 2 DO Sonotubes installed yet.....

post #71 of 74 Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a few minutes to redo my REW w the reduced PEQ filters. I measured at 50 volume and 70 for giggles.

Lots more rolloff below 20hz compared to the boosted one but for now I’m ok with that.

Once the sonotubes come in perhaps room gain will help.

Original v Reduced PEQ

50 v 70 on the volume. On this the rolloff below 20hz seems much more pronounced. Not sure why this is. I can tell you that things shake all over the house with the 70 volume lol...

And lastly here is a THD plot from my 70 volume measurements

Last edited by EndersShadow; 09-02-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #72 of 74 Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
12 DO Sonosubs?

How are the SonoSubs coming? Do you have some dimensions that you could share? I just "Finished" my Tubes of doom (6' 18" Ultimax 4 order bandpass tubes) for my main listening area, and picked up 4 of these 12's for my Secondary Movie/Gaming room.
post #73 of 74 Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaray_00 View Post
How are the SonoSubs coming?
Unfortunately due to my kids being in Soccer and the 3 hour one way drive to my buddy's (and his crazy schedule), there just wasn't enough time to get them completed before winter. I anticipate picking this back up in the spring, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaray_00 View Post
Do you have some dimensions that you could share?
Sure. IIRC the Sonotubes were cut to 34". The reason was NOT based on WinISD or anything "scientific". The mains I was planning on building (and still may, who knows), were going to be 39" tall, so I wanted my Sonotubes to match.

Once you add the bottom plate, the legs between that and the Sonotube you get to around 39", hence picking it.

The JBL's work decent in anything over 1.2-1.5 cf per driver. In my case I think it works out to approximately 3.7cf per enclosure (or ~1.85 per driver). Each enclosure needs about 700 watts (@8 or 2 ohm) to reach XMax (I used 15mm as my limit, not the 12 or 12 they are rated at).

post #74 of 74 Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
... IIRC the Sonotubes were cut to 34". The reason was NOT based on WinISD or anything "scientific". The mains I was planning on building (and still may, who knows), were going to be 39" tall, so I wanted my Sonotubes to match.

Once you add the bottom plate, the legs between that and the Sonotube you get to around 39", hence picking it....
That's interesting. I designed my sono-subs to the height of the TV on its stand (60" +), in order to be able to hide one behind the TV, which at the time was in a corner. I then adjusted the tube height so that the centerline between the top port and driver corresponded to ear level when seated, making them diagonally equidistant to MLP. Totally unnecessary, but I had to do something while waiting for parts.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page