Most bass in the smallest space? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tential

post #1 of 22 Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Most bass in the smallest space?

I was reading about that new 15” sub and started wondering about what are other good options for the most bass return on the space occupied? Obviously these will likely be sealed setups. Power is not much of an issue; inuke 6000 dsp to power one or two subs. Who are the usual subjects for this type of thing that are currently available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Have you considered the SVS PC-4000? Not sealed but doesn't take up much space. The remote control is well worth it. Two of them would be great.

I also like the Power Sound Audio S3000i sealed dual opposed 15. Even better is the Power Sound Audio S3601 sealed dual opposed 18 inch.

Which 15 inch sub are you talking about?

Last edited by spyboy; 03-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked: 4178
Typically in hyper-small boxes it comes down to excursion and power handling. Which usually means the RE XXX's win, be it 12inches cubed or 18inches cubed.

For larger boxes, there is room for optimization of the box and driver combo, but not in hyper-small boxes...

Typically, the bigger the driver and the bigger the box: The louder bass and less distorted the bass is, and the more efficient it is at making bass (more SPL per watt).

It's called Iron's law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
It's called Iron's law.

Actually, Hoffman's Iron law.

Extension, efficiency or small box, you can ONLY have two.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

with that in mind, size and extension I guess. An inuke is 2200 watts a channel or so... I'm only going to be running 1 or 2 subs so they should get a decent amount of power. The re's are discontinued right? Are there any similar products on the market at the current time?
post #6 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr14 View Post
with that in mind, size and extension I guess. An inuke is 2200 watts a channel or so... I'm only going to be running 1 or 2 subs so they should get a decent amount of power. The re's are discontinued right? Are there any similar products on the market at the current time?

Small is such a relative thing in here. For sealed the excursion as mentioned and also high motor force (high bl, big magnets, expensive drivers typically) for small boxes. Two Uxl-18 in four feet box each, or two 15 in smaller boxes. Uxl pairs pretty well with the dsp6k. More specifics about how much size you can handle and what the rest of the system is might get you more input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Something else to consider is that the 6000DSP isn't bridgeable. So I say get at least two subs. What is the reason for the size constraint?

I would easily rather have two 15" DA Ultimaxes over a single new Peerless 15". While it is a brute, it takes globs of power to make up for its lack of sensitivity. It also has a pretty nice low end compared to the 15" Ultimax, but then it becomes two vs. single driver, which sides heavily on the two 15" ultimaxes.

It's pointless to have a 5000 watt power handling sub, if you can only apply 2200 watts to it.
*On the other hand, it looks like that sub has had an update? or they just inflated specs. Parts Express has the sensitivity listed as 88dB now
I didn't copy the previous parameters, but looks like it might have a lighter cone?
@notnyt *

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log

Last edited by bgtighe23; 03-25-2018 at 07:52 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Imho, with a sub like the peerless 15 you're referring to, you'd need an amp much more capable than a Inuke 6000dsp to drive it in a sealed configuration.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #9 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Something else to consider is that the 6000DSP isn't bridgeable. So I say get at least two subs. What is the reason for the size constraint?

I would easily rather have two 15" DA Ultimaxes over a single new Peerless 15". While it is a brute, it takes globs of power to make up for its lack of sensitivity. It also has a pretty nice low end compared to the 15" Ultimax, but then it becomes two vs. single driver, which sides heavily on the two 15" ultimaxes.

It's pointless to have a 5000 watt power handling sub, if you can only apply 2200 watts to it.
*On the other hand, it looks like that sub has had an update? or they just inflated specs. Parts Express has the sensitivity listed as 88dB now
I didn't copy the previous parameters, but looks like it might have a lighter cone?
@notnyt *
Eh, if the only way he can achieve what he wants is to build 2 Peerless subs with a new amp than why not. Not everyone can be cool and get DA 15 Ultimaxes (I have one).

He may just need to use the amp for something else, like his fronts or something.
LG Clone Amp, 2 Peerless Subs, let him have fun.

OP, looks like you'll need to get a different amp and realize that the NU6000DSP may not be able to handle everything!

I'm sure other people power their amps below RMS powerhandling, but like the poster stated, I would NEVER do it. Feels like I'm just wasting my subwoofer.

Enjoy the Peerless build OP should you do it!
post #10 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Imho, with a sub like the peerless 15 you're referring to, you'd need an amp much more capable than a Inuke 6000dsp to drive it in a sealed configuration.
6000DSP is not bridgeable. Almost pointless to get that amp, unless getting two (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Eh, if the only way he can achieve what he wants is to build 2 Peerless subs with a new amp than why not. Not everyone can be cool and get DA 15 Ultimaxes (I have one).

He may just need to use the amp for something else, like his fronts or something.
LG Clone Amp, 2 Peerless Subs, let him have fun.

OP, looks like you'll need to get a different amp and realize that the NU6000DSP may not be able to handle everything!

I'm sure other people power their amps below RMS powerhandling, but like the poster stated, I would NEVER do it. Feels like I'm just wasting my subwoofer.

Enjoy the Peerless build OP should you do it!
There is no budget listed in the OP's comments. Based on his questions and equipment lists, it's not a huge budget. Dual peerless 15" subs and proper fitted amps like a prolite 7.5 or something similar is a few thousand. At that point, more coils win and you could have so much more output with different and multiple subs altogether.
Also, we are waiting on the OPs comments on why he is size limited and if there is even a way to accommodate a slightly larger cab to hold an 18" sub(s)

I would at least wait for the Peerless 15" to get some 3rd part measurements to see what the sub is actually capable to doing.

post #11 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
6000DSP is not bridgeable. Almost pointless to get that amp, unless getting two (see below)

There is no budget listed in the OP's comments. Based on his questions and equipment lists, it's not a huge budget. Dual peerless 15" subs and proper fitted amps like a prolite 7.5 or something similar is a few thousand. At that point, more coils win and you could have so much more output with different and multiple subs altogether.
Also, we are waiting on the OPs comments on why he is size limited and if there is even a way to accommodate a slightly larger cab to hold an 18" sub(s)

I would at least wait for the Peerless 15" to get some 3rd part measurements to see what the sub is actually capable to doing.
Actually I was suggesting a much more capable amp than the Inuke 6000dsp.

Quote:
Imho, with a sub like the peerless 15 you're referring to, you'd need an amp much more capable than a Inuke 6000dsp to drive it in a sealed configuration

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #12 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Dual Peerless 15 Subs + LG Clone Amp is like 2k. Not disagreeing with you, just saying he has options. After all, I am a Dayton Ultimax owner, everything you're saying is exactly why I build Ultimaxes. After all, if you have space for 1 Subwoofer... you have space to stack them.

OP needs to provide all the information you asked for, for him to get the best build.
Things would go a lot smoother in all of these threads if the OP just gave the largest woofer design he can use/budget.

Also, I think OP thought his amp was enough, which it may not be after all. NU6000 would only not be enough if you come to this subsection
johnson636 likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dual Peerless 15 Subs + LG Clone Amp is like 2k. Not disagreeing with you, just saying he has options. After all, I am a Dayton Ultimax owner, everything you're saying is exactly why I build Ultimaxes. After all, if you have space for 1 Subwoofer... you have space to stack them.

OP needs to provide all the information you asked for, for him to get the best build.
Things would go a lot smoother in all of these threads if the OP just gave the largest woofer design he can use/budget.

Also, I think OP thought his amp was enough, which it may not be after all. NU6000 would only not be enough if you come to this subsection
I agree. The 6000dsp would be clipping to hell and back trying to drive that subwoofer to 3/4 it's potential. Or, you'd be underpowering it so much that the Ultimax would be a better choice.....but the damn UMs are rarely in stock

BTW, Op don't let me stop you from using the peerless and the 6000dsp as I'm in no position to dictate what someone should or shouldn't use

post #14 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys. I’m downgrading from a dedicated theater room (bonus room)to the living room due to having a toddler. I was running an ib manifold with 4 18” ib3’s before and 2 sealed 18’s in the back.

Now that I’m in the family room, the wife won’t let me have anything big, ugly or diy. My best hope currently is to sneak a diy 15” setup to the back corner where she probably won’t see it. But I only have so much room to place it.

I already have the inuke so I’m thinking of reusing it. I’m basically just looking for an upgrade from my rbh dual 10” setup; I’m not looking to rattle the house apart too much.

I’m looking to spend up to about $500, maybe $700 on a subwoofer that is a step up and gives me something to work on. I miss my diy projects!

So I can’t run one channel of the inuke to each coil of a dvc sub in the case I run 1 woofer? I’m guessing since I haven’t heard this talked about, probably not?...
post #15 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi guys. I’m downgrading from a dedicated theater room (bonus room)to the living room due to having a toddler. I was running an ib manifold with 4 18” ib3’s before and 2 sealed 18’s in the back.

Now that I’m in the family room, the wife won’t let me have anything big, ugly or diy. My best hope currently is to sneak a diy 15” setup to the back corner where she probably won’t see it. But I only have so much room to place it.

I already have the inuke so I’m thinking of reusing it. I’m basically just looking for an upgrade from my rbh dual 10” setup; I’m not looking to rattle the house apart too much.

I’m looking to spend up to about $500, maybe $700 on a subwoofer that is a step up and gives me something to work on. I miss my diy projects!

So I can’t run one channel of the inuke to each coil of a dvc sub in the case I run 1 woofer? I’m guessing since I haven’t heard this talked about, probably not?...
Man, that sucks.
You could run each channel to each coil, but there is a little controversy on doing that method. Mainly because each channel isn't going to be exact, the voltage into the sub won't be exactly the same. Some people do it, others don't.

If you are just looking for some low-end reinforcement and not shake the house, I would still look at a different 15" sub and use the savings ($600 budget, under $300 sub) to buy her something nice. Hide it though. When she finds the sub, bust out the gift!

post #16 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Clone amp is quite risky, but some people are able to get them without issues.

OP, the Peerless STW 15 are dual 8ohm coils?
Behringer states the 6000DSP can do 1600 watts x2 into 8ohms. Based on how inflated the specs are, I'd say real world numbers are much less.

post #17 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds about right. I heard 2200-2300 at 4 ohms so 1600 at 8 makes sense.

I already have 2 18” elemental designs 19ov subs here which aren’t great but just eyeballing the box I have for them looks like it’s draw too much attention.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sounds about right. I heard 2200-2300 at 4 ohms so 1600 at 8 makes sense.

I already have 2 18” elemental designs 19ov subs here which aren’t great but just eyeballing the box I have for them looks like it’s draw too much attention.
The NU6000 was tested Here. Looks like it will do about 1000w @8ohms in the LFE region.

post #19 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 209
15” ultimax and plate amp. If space is a premium why run an external amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have a tv console which all my audio gear is in. I also already own Behringer 1000dsp and a 6000 dsp. A plate amp would cut into my sub budget. I may even be able to tuck the subs away into the console. I have a different thread on that one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCEE061B-A2C6-4692-8982-81A3ADC819E0_1521999491703.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2380260  
post #21 of 22 Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Update.. I have right around 3 cu ft (19.5x19.5x about 21-22”) in my tv console. I have 3 of these but will likely use 2. So with my inuke 6000 dsp, I’m thinking 2 ultimax or even use my ed 18’s for the time being. The bass up front should be nice and maybe down the road I can add a sub in the back corner. Is the ultimax the best option? Will I have to limit the ultra low frequency a little? Or use limiters?
post #22 of 22 Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
No need for a high pass filter for a 3 cuft sealed Ultimax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page