Which Table Saw should I purcahse - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 211
When we moved I sold my older entry level Jet and got a dewalt with wheels. It’s nice to be able to fold up and stash it in a reasonable space. Fence has lots of capacity at 32 or 34” and although I miss the weight of the jet and the larger table the dewalt is a decent compromise. I wasn’t comfortable slicing whole sheets on the old saw so I always used a guide and circular saw for that anyway.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-...xoC_bMQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-04-2018, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
+1 for track saw.

You don't use a cheap table saw to take down sheet goods. You need huge feed tables for this to work right and proper guides and fences. It's not a cheap or space efficient setup.

A track saw will get the job done better for most stuff. Once you have manageable sized sheets, a table saw works fine.
post #33 of 46 Old 04-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 64
OP, where do you live? There is a guy here in central Arkansas that has a nice sized Delta table saw for sell that would work great for breaking down sheet goods as it has a Biesemeyer fence and a 40” rip compacity for only $200. If you want his contact info send me a message. You can build an outfeed and side feed table for it and be all set to break down 4x8 sheets of ply with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 04-06-2018, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 353
check out this tracksaw. same exact one as the grizzly but like half the price

Wen tracksaw $160
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can build sub boxes with this bad boy and 10 minutes of mods and not have a table saw eating up your garage space.

in your area i like this table saw

https://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/d/del...535248722.html

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #35 of 46 Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post

Wen tracksaw $160
Note with the WEN and Grizzly (Master Pack) you only get 55" of rail (the Wen is in two pieces). This is fine for cross cutting 4x8 sheets but not ripping. If you get 5x5 baltic birch it can't crosscut either. Just be aware of the length of cuts you need to make and ensure you have enough guide rail and connectors. I really prefer a single long rail that can rip 8' but they don't sell them for the inexpensive saws and get very expensive for the better brands. The only brand that makes foolproof connections that are always perfectly straight is Mafell, even the Festool tracks are prone to not connect perfectly straight, there is even a third party jig to help align them.
post #36 of 46 Old 04-07-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoM3 View Post
Note with the WEN and Grizzly (Master Pack) you only get 55" of rail (the Wen is in two pieces). This is fine for cross cutting 4x8 sheets but not ripping. If you get 5x5 baltic birch it can't crosscut either. Just be aware of the length of cuts you need to make and ensure you have enough guide rail and connectors. I really prefer a single long rail that can rip 8' but they don't sell them for the inexpensive saws and get very expensive for the better brands. The only brand that makes foolproof connections that are always perfectly straight is Mafell, even the Festool tracks are prone to not connect perfectly straight, there is even a third party jig to help align them.
good point. however for someone who is not going to be doing a lot of woodworking and just wants to build a few sub boxes and other odds and ends, those things work good and dont take up the better part of a garage space.

most places that sell mdf also have panel saw that will make a rip cut for free. or, one could build their own track. it wouldnt be difficult at all imo.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #37 of 46 Old 04-07-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
I really like my universal edge guide. Makes breaking down sheet goods a breeze. Just limited to a 24" cut.

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos
Gorbag42 likes this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #38 of 46 Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 283
+1 for the UEG and using any tracksaw setup for breaking down sheet goods.

Without 8 feet of infeed space and 8 feet of outfeed space with proper infeed and outfeed tables, breaking down sheet stock is not a job for the tablesaw. Even with full-sized infeed and outfeed tables it can be dangerous. Been there, done that, got the scar to prove it.

As far as baffle holes? Hard to beat a Jasper Jig and a plunge pouter. I use an old Porter Cable.
post #39 of 46 Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
+1 for the UEG and using any tracksaw setup for breaking down sheet goods.

Without 8 feet of infeed space and 8 feet of outfeed space with proper infeed and outfeed tables, breaking down sheet stock is not a job for the tablesaw. Even with full-sized infeed and outfeed tables it can be dangerous. Been there, done that, got the scar to prove it.

As far as baffle holes? Hard to beat a Jasper Jig and a plunge pouter. I use an old Porter Cable.
I have multiple cabinet saws in my large shop. One is setup with a dedicated dado blade that never comes out. The cabinet saw that I use for cutting full sized sheet goods has both infeed, outfeed and side feed tables all the way around. It’s super easy for me to break down 4’x8’ sheets in a matter of minutes. Each of my cabinet saws have a Biesemeyer fence and 55” rip compacity.
post #40 of 46 Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i have a nice tablesaw, but i mostly use my bosch/mafell track saw i imported from the UK for everything its so much easier to maneuver. i would recommend a bosch / mafell or festool track saw kit.
post #41 of 46 Old 04-10-2018, 06:51 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I vote track saw. If you use any Makita cordless tools get the Makita cordless track saw. Right now 4-5ah batteries, saw, 55” track. $500. Sell when you’re done or keep batteries. Batteries alone are $160 a pair. Check Toolnut.com. Easier to sell track saw than a table saw on CL. If you’re set on a used table saw see if there are any Ryobi BT3000 available on your local CL.
bebb likes this.
post #42 of 46 Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The main reason to get a table saw, besides it's being one of the safest power tools in the shop (you always know where the blade is; contrast to radial arm saw: one of the most dangerous), is because you want repeatable cuts and (at the higher end, e.g. large mass and trunnions to absorb any vibration) glass smooth surfaces that don't need cleanup. Or you want to do dados, tenons, or other cuts enough times that again hand tools aren't going to "cut it" (pun intended).

Given your needs that's overkill... I agree with the many suggestions for a Kreig jig and a circular saw (I recommend Porter Cable) as being a very flexible setup, and you can get out your hand planes if you need to clean up the cut. I use all of these tools, and while I love a good table saw and use it... it's overkill if you only have a couple dozen cuts to make in your career.

Disclaimer: I'm a hobbyist, not a professional woodworker. Most professional woodwork these days is CNC... ;-).
post #43 of 46 Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post
It is trivial and cheap to DIY a saw guide for your circular saw, and it will always have a perfect offset for your saw and your blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeIZdrbz-Y
Exactly. The whole idea of DIY on another level.
post #44 of 46 Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFred View Post
Finally, an area I am an expert in and can contribute. I have been in the woodworking machinery business for 20 years and woodworking for 30 years.

You want a cast iron topped saw, preferably with solid cast wings. You want your saw to be belt drive with a sealed (TEFC) induction motor (not direct drive and not a universal (brushed) motor).

For a fence, you do not want one with a round bar "Jet Lock" style fence, an extruded aluminum front rail, or one that locks front and rear. None of these types assure you of a square cut each time you lock down the fence. Look for a Biesemeyer type fence system, rectangular front rail, front rail cam locking type fence body.

You don't need a 500lb 3hp cabinet saw for cutting sheet goods, although if you find a decent Delta Unisaw cheap, there is no reason not to buy it.

A good choice would a used Delta Hybrid like this,

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictur...iews/99122.jpg
David.
Agree with everything you said. In addition, if you want to go 500 lb tablesaw route, Grizzly is a good economical choice. Not the best, not the worst, but worthwhile. I have been woodworking for longer than I care to admit (because I hate to admit I am now 51) but have had my grizzly 1023 for a number of years and can't justify spending $2000 plus for an upgrade. The grizzly has the biesemeyer style fence as well as a 3hp 200volt motor.
post #45 of 46 Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
OP, where do you live? There is a guy here in central Arkansas that has a nice sized Delta table saw for sell that would work great for breaking down sheet goods as it has a Biesemeyer fence and a 40” rip compacity for only $200. If you want his contact info send me a message. You can build an outfeed and side feed table for it and be all set to break down 4x8 sheets of ply with no problems.
Good deal!

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #46 of 46 Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
I really like my universal edge guide. Makes breaking down sheet goods a breeze. Just limited to a 24" cut.
I have one and I like it. Find it most useful when I need several dozen 8' lengths. Changing rip dimensions is a pain so if I need only one or two cuts I'll grab a straight 2x or my edge guide jig.

IMHO No need to spend several hundred dollars on a track saw when you can get the same results with this jig. Especially if all you want to do is break down some mdf for a Marty build. Money better spent on a cabinet saw that can do things (finger joints, moldings, rabbets, dadoes etc) that a track saw can never do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edge.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2412586  
evilbeaver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page