• 3 Post By mtg90
  • 2 Post By dtsdig

post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Volt10 V2 Build Questions

First DIY build, so any pointers are welcome.

I finished up my crossovers and hooked up my speakers to test them and had a few questions.

On the Celestion tweeter, would I be correct in assuming the red mark on the terminal indicates the positive side? These should have reversed polarity though, positive from x-over to negative on tweeter?

Asking because I dropped the woofer/tweeter combo into my ported box and they didn't sound right. I have a Yamaha receiver that I had turned about halfway up and it wasn't particularly loud. (At least not what I thought it would be considering the sensitivity of these speakers)
I'm hoping there will be big change when I add the polyfill and ports, but I'm not sure when in the build what you hear is pretty close to what it will be when it's all complete. I would rather troubleshoot early and not after putting everything inside.

I'm concerned I may have done my crossovers incorrectly. The connections seem good on the back, anyone with experience on these know if they look correct? (attaching image)

Any other thoughts, or am I listening to them too early and need to finish the boxes before worrying about the sound?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180508_223457.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	2400576  

Last edited by CMonster; 05-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonster View Post
On the Celestion tweeter, would I be correct in assuming the red mark on the terminal indicates the positive side? These should have reversed polarity though, positive from x-over to negative on tweeter?
Where did you read that you should reverse polarity on the tweeter?

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
First DIY build, so any pointers are welcome.

I finished up my crossovers and hooked up my speakers to test them and had a few questions.

Asking because I dropped the woofer/tweeter combo into my ported box and they didn't sound right. I have a Yamaha receiver that I had turned about halfway up and it wasn't particularly loud. (At least not what I thought it would be considering the sensitivity of these speakers)
I'm hoping there will be big change when I add the polyfill and ports, but I'm not sure when in the build what you hear is pretty close to what it will be when it's all complete. I would rather troubleshoot early and not after putting everything inside.

I'm concerned I may have done my crossovers incorrectly. The connections seem good on the back, anyone with experience on these know if they look correct? (attaching image)

Any other thoughts, or am I listening to them too early and need to finish the boxes before worrying about the sound?
Your crossovers match my 8 v2 except the black and gold coils are swapped. I spoke to Matt about this and he said dont worry, it's ok. I didnt get a circuit diagram so dont know if its reversed polarity, I haven't wired mine that way but theyre not in cabs yet.

The HTM-6 do have reversed polarity though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

I initially had the two black and gold "things" swapped as well, but then I saw the image of the crossover on the Volt helpful tips link.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	example crossover.png
Views:	81
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	2400664  

Last edited by CMonster; 05-09-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Also realized this morning while taking that screenshot that one of my coils is still on a spindle, not sure if that matters or not?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xover2.png
Views:	101
Size:	998.8 KB
ID:	2400666  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Also realized this morning while taking that screenshot that one of my coils is still on a spindle, not sure if that matters or not?
That's what I meant when I said my black/gold are swapped with how yours are. In mine the black is lying down and the gold is upright. It's all totally fine and just down to the supply/availability of the parts. Apparently some are rated at 0.5 and some at 0.55 but it doesnt really make much difference to the end sound - this is coming from @mtg90 himself. See my crossovers here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/diy...#post-26177027

I didn't get the diagram with my Volt-8 V2 so I now wonder if they should be reversed the same as the 10s?? @mtg90 ? I did have to run them at 0db on my amp to get a listenable (but not as loud as expected) volume from them...
CMonster likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyvision View Post
That's what I meant when I said my black/gold are swapped with how yours are. In mine the black is lying down and the gold is upright. It's all totally fine and just down to the supply/availability of the parts. Apparently some are rated at 0.5 and some at 0.55 but it doesnt really make much difference to the end sound - this is coming from @mtg90 himself. See my crossovers here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/diy...#post-26177027

I didn't get the diagram with my Volt-8 V2 so I now wonder if they should be reversed the same as the 10s?? @mtg90 ? I did have to run them at 0db on my amp to get a listenable (but not as loud as expected) volume from them...
On the tweeters I tried pos to pos and pos to neg and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. I didn't have them in the box or even connected to the woofer, just held it up and tried both, so I would call it very unscientific at best.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
My sister was helping me package up some of the Volts and she accidentally put the schematic in the package on a couple orders in the past 2 weeks. I noticed that on Monday and I'm contacting those people today about it.

The inverted polarity is built into the crossover board......so we've never sent out the schematic and only showed pictures of the assembled crossover to keep people from being confused. But because it was a new design, she put the schematic in the crossover box not realizing they weren't needed.

Wire up the crossover like you would any other speaker. Pay no attention to the schematic.

Last edited by Erich H; 05-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
The compression driver polarity is reversed on the PCB so it should be wired up as marked.

You won't hear a difference if you test just the tweeter alone connected both ways as it is the interaction with the woofer that changes.

I can't really tell from the photo but when soldering the inductors did you make sure to solder to the tinned ends of those leads? Some of those look like they are pushed in pretty far and if you tried soldering to the enamel coated section of the wire without first scraping it away it will likely result in a bad connection and incorrect response from the crossover, mostly a drop in output level from the tweeter and/or hardly any sound from the woofer.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
The compression driver polarity is reversed on the PCB so it should be wired up as marked.

You won't hear a difference if you test just the tweeter alone connected both ways as it is the interaction with the woofer that changes.

I can't really tell from the photo but when soldering the inductors did you make sure to solder to the tinned ends of those leads? Some of those look like they are pushed in pretty far and if you tried soldering to the enamel coated section of the wire without first scraping it away it will likely result in a bad connection and incorrect response from the crossover, mostly a drop in output level from the tweeter and/or hardly any sound from the woofer.
I read about making sure to keep the tinned leads exposed for soldering, so I'm fairly certain they were exposed correctly, but I'll double check tonight. I'll be the first to admit, my inexperience with this will most likely be the weak link.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
My sister was helping me package up some of the Volts and she accidentally put the schematic in the package on a couple orders in the past 2 weeks. I noticed that on Monday and I'm contacting those people today about it.

The inverted polarity is built into the crossover board......so we've never sent out the schematic and only showed pictures of the assembled crossover to keep people from being confused. But because it was a new design, she put the schematic in the crossover box not realizing they weren't needed.

Wire up the crossover like you would any other speaker. Pay no attention to the schematic.
No worries! Thanks for the response.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-10-2018, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I checked the leads and they looked good as far as still having a portion of the tinned part still available on the top side of the board.

Since everything seems to be working, I'm going to continue on. I still need to place the ports, polyfill my box, and seal the baffles, which I'm sure will all make a big difference. As I mentioned earlier, this is my first build, so perhaps I was testing too early in the process.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to drill holes for the binding posts or a good place NOT to drill holes or mount the crossovers? I didn't see anything in the Volt build thread about that.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11946
Quote:
I checked the leads and they looked good as far as still having a portion of the tinned part still available on the top side of the board.

Since everything seems to be working, I'm going to continue on. I still need to place the ports, polyfill my box, and seal the baffles, which I'm sure will all make a big difference. As I mentioned earlier, this is my first build, so perhaps I was testing too early in the process.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to drill holes for the binding posts or a good place NOT to drill holes or mount the crossovers? I didn't see anything in the Volt build thread about that.
The Volt-10 box is big enough that space behind the driver and port isn't really an issue. In fact, I lined behind the port with foam, which I spray painted black.

I ended up putting my crossover in one of the sections behind the driver, and I put my terminal cup in one of the lower sections but out of the way of the port as much as possible. There are many options for placement, and I'd just recommend considering what you will see when looking directly in the port. Other than that, it doesn't much matter.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #14 of 17 Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So was there a consus on the placement of the two inductor coils? It makes sense to lay the black coil and stand the bare coil up I did the opposite like you but may change it before soldering the coils.

Are you happy with the outcome?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5838C412-4704-4F50-9066-CF52A8E59E73.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2434328  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-28-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
It won't matter which way you put those two because they are the same value. Whichever is easiest.

post #16 of 17 Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
It won't matter which way you put those two because they are the same value. Whichever is easiest.
Beutiful, and they aren’t directional either, right? I was just thrown off as the coils are physically different. I thought there was more to it.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-31-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Leave the coil as is. It is meant to stay on that spindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
Beutiful, and they aren’t directional either, right? I was just thrown off as the coils are physically different. I thought there was more to it.
Yes, they are non directional.
Monkey_Man and Erich H like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page