"Black Betty" My DYI 12" Ultimax PE Flat Pack build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayDee78

post #1 of 7 Old 05-13-2018, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Black Betty" My DYI 12" Ultimax PE Flat Pack build

Oh boy did I mess this one up. Lesson learned, don't rush the glue job. As I may have stated in my other post, this is my first DYI build. I was looking to replace my ported 10" Paradigm sub that was seeing age and limitations to the space I had. I was going to go with a 15" Ultimax but the eBay joker never came through. Had the flat pack but never got to unbox it and I had to return it. I ordered everything from Parts Express except the covering. My current setup is a 5.1 with Paradigm Monitor Series fronts/Center and cheap pair of Klipsch book shelves that service the rears. They aren't bad to be honest.

I really didn't want to paint the entire box flat black like some others I have seen out there. The 5.x speakers are in black ash so I really wanted the sub to match. Searching around quickly found a "black ash" type of contact paper. I re-used my "kettle black", nick names, "soul sucking black" that I painted my ceiling with.

For tools, I went to Harbor Freight and picked up 4 more wood clamps. They sucked. Bad. I had 2 metal ones and they are quality. I've had them for years. I'll likely return the ones from HF. I bought an orbital sander and some sanding pads. This little bugger was awesome. It is a work horse. It turned my out of square box, smooth.

I will say this about the MDF. It is SO easy to damage. You look at it sideways and it dimples. I bought some wood filler from Home Depot.

Most of the hardware I sourced from Parts Express or HD. I will say this, I used the M5x30mm allen head wood screws and I don't like them. I'll likely use T-Nuts or something next time. I did use foam tape from PE to seal the sub better but the screws didn't seem to take well. They felt like they were stripping. They are doing fine for now.

Anyhow, for your viewing pleasure I present: "Black Betty".

If you want to see the sub in its new home let me know. I have it firing into a wall for now.

-JD-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	2402252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	2402254  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
Oh boy did I mess this one up. Lesson learned, don't rush the glue job. As I may have stated in my other post, this is my first DYI build. I was looking to replace my ported 10" Paradigm sub that was seeing age and limitations to the space I had. I was going to go with a 15" Ultimax but the eBay joker never came through. Had the flat pack but never got to unbox it and I had to return it. I ordered everything from Parts Express except the covering. My current setup is a 5.1 with Paradigm Monitor Series fronts/Center and cheap pair of Klipsch book shelves that service the rears. They aren't bad to be honest.

I really didn't want to paint the entire box flat black like some others I have seen out there. The 5.x speakers are in black ash so I really wanted the sub to match. Searching around quickly found a "black ash" type of contact paper. I re-used my "kettle black", nick names, "soul sucking black" that I painted my ceiling with.

For tools, I went to Harbor Freight and picked up 4 more wood clamps. They sucked. Bad. I had 2 metal ones and they are quality. I've had them for years. I'll likely return the ones from HF. I bought an orbital sander and some sanding pads. This little bugger was awesome. It is a work horse. It turned my out of square box, smooth.

I will say this about the MDF. It is SO easy to damage. You look at it sideways and it dimples. I bought some wood filler from Home Depot.

Most of the hardware I sourced from Parts Express or HD. I will say this, I used the M5x30mm allen head wood screws and I don't like them. I'll likely use T-Nuts or something next time. I did use foam tape from PE to seal the sub better but the screws didn't seem to take well. They felt like they were stripping. They are doing fine for now.

Anyhow, for your viewing pleasure I present: "Black Betty".

If you want to see the sub in its new home let me know. I have it firing into a wall for now.

-JD-
Looks good!
As far as the screws you could glue some plywood pieces on the underside of the baffle.Then use some longer screws.You'll get a much better"bite" into the plywood.T'Nuts can be a pain themselves.

Love to see more pictures.What amp are you using to power the sub?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Only one OK, you have 9 more to build

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Looks like it turned out good for your first DIY! I still don't understand why more people don't build their own subs.

-Receiver- Marantz 7009 running 5.2.4
-LCR- PSB Century 500i, PSB Century 100ci
-SL/SR- DIY Zaph B3S
-Atmos- Micca M8c
-Subs- VBSS w/inuke, Custom 12" HSU sub
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How do you like the vinyl? I am almost ready to finish mine.

65" Sony X900E, Denon X2300, SVS Prime LCR, Polk TSI100 surround, 2X 18" RSS460HO sealed 3.5ft3, Inuke 3KDSP, minidsp 2x4 revA
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERIC View Post
How do you like the vinyl? I am almost ready to finish mine.
It’s really not bad. I used a razor to do final cuts. You have to be carful as you can get into the MDF. Where I did I touched it up with a sharpie.

I’m wondering if I would have waited longer to mount the female connection and the feet, the decal wouldn’t have wrinkled. It’s in the bottom so I really don’t care.

Get a large square and a long straight edge for cutting.

If I were to do it again I may try to do one cut for 1 or two sides.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

As requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1697CFF-0167-413A-8919-06759BA4395A_1526346466416.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2402616