2018 DIY Speaker/Sub GTG meet Plainfield Il. (Chicago land burbs) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 649Likes

post #421 of 484 Old 08-11-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
I would have to completely start over with all drives being bigger.
This reason is why I went with Unraid solution. Currently at 96TB storage. I can continue to upgrade from the 4Tb drives to 8TB then onto the 10TB drives or larger without changing hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unraid.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	2440498  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 484 Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I just used JBOD’s with data reproduction on important files. If I had a drive go bad my pool wasn’t screwed and I still had the files I needed elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #423 of 484 Old 08-11-2018, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 599 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Ha! Both I suppose.

I was hoping to be able to attend this one but it fell over some birthdays.

Next gtg meet no worries, This is hard but to name a few my legacy Nearfield drivers, they have such a warm sound to them it’s going to be hard to ever sell them but never say never this fall that might happen if another 21” driver comes out. Luke’s 21” incriminator Audio 21” driver sounded great, the um18-22 at derrickdj1’s House had a great sound to them to and cliffs house the tall boy build I did. There’s more drivers but that’s a few to name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 484 Old 08-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
I don’t think that’s the true. I started with 4 6TB on a raid 6 and over a year I added 4 more 6TB drives to max out my capacity. My synology allowed me to keep adding to the raid 6 no problem. I cannot however add bigger than 6TB drives. I would have to completely start over with all drives being bigger.
I'm not familiar with synology's offerings so I'll have to check that out. Traditional raid 5 and 6 do not allow it without wiping the array and rebuilding it with the additional drives. They must be doing something special because adding drives was never part of the raid specification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #425 of 484 Old 08-11-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2018 DIY Speaker/Sub GTG meet Plainfield Il. (Chicago land burbs)

I think Synology uses ZFS, which has RAID like capabilities and often times I’ve seen that in mentioned in advertising.

Oh duh it uses BTRFS, I like ZFS better but each system allows for expandable pools. Except if you designed a pool to use software raid5/6.

Last edited by Trimlock; 08-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.
post #426 of 484 Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
I'm not familiar with synology's offerings so I'll have to check that out. Traditional raid 5 and 6 do not allow it without wiping the array and rebuilding it with the additional drives. They must be doing something special because adding drives was never part of the raid specification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even 18 years ago, HP’s RAID controllers allow folks to switch to different RAID types, and even expand disk sets, on the fly. It’s a feature I would almost insist on if I were building an array today. How it works is that the array controller virtualizes the disks that get presented to the host (Windows operating system, or Synology NAS, etc.). Once that’s done, anything is possible on the disks themselves.
post #427 of 484 Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You guys should consider UnRaid. It offers data parity, and the ability to expand your array on the fly. It is a unique concept when compared to RAID 0,1,5,6,10, etc, and what I have gone with for my media server. Even if you parity drive fails, all of your data is still there. If a data drive fails, it can rebuild. I just built a 12 bay setup for about 400 bucks (not including harddrives) that is both my plex server, and my storage nas. It would have been 300, but I wanted a fancy case with hotswap bays. It has more power than basically any commercial NAS I can think of, and is user repairable/up-gradable.

The GUI is pretty nice looking too, and easy to use. You dont need to be a Linux expert (hell, I had never used linux before this) to get it up and running.

If you want more info, let me know... This is the DIY section of course!
Mike Butny and murphy2112 like this.
post #428 of 484 Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Hey guys, I've been lurking here a while but just wanted to say I'd be very interested in attending one of these meetups in the future. Subscribing so I can hopefully get in on the next one!

--
Denon X1300W/DIYSG Fusion 12 LCR/Volt-10 Rears/Micca M-8C Heights
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
Epson 2030/DIY 110" AT Screen
Eosone RSF1000 for Enjoying Music
post #429 of 484 Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
You guys should consider UnRaid. It offers data parity, and the ability to expand your array on the fly. It is a unique concept when compared to RAID 0,1,5,6,10, etc, and what I have gone with for my media server. Even if you parity drive fails, all of your data is still there. If a data drive fails, it can rebuild. I just built a 12 bay setup for about 400 bucks (not including harddrives) that is both my plex server, and my storage nas. It would have been 300, but I wanted a fancy case with hotswap bays. It has more power than basically any commercial NAS I can think of, and is user repairable/up-gradable.

The GUI is pretty nice looking too, and easy to use. You dont need to be a Linux expert (hell, I had never used linux before this) to get it up and running.

If you want more info, let me know... This is the DIY section of course!
I'm working up a FreeNAS solution and would love to see your parts list.
post #430 of 484 Old 08-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post
I'm working up a FreeNAS solution and would love to see your parts list.
I basically followed this build:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/8zgkfj Its called the NAS Killer 2.0. If you want to go really budget, it can be done for ~$150, but I wanted enough horsepower for 4k transcoding, etc. I so far have really found it to be a stable/easy setup.

I'll add my exact build list tomorrow.

Last edited by nater1; 08-16-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #431 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #432 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@Mpoes12

Can you post the video of the rew class.

Thanks Matt

I promise I will as soon as I can. It’s held up with my editor. Ryan and I are done with our part. My editor loves both videos but wants to add an intro before posting. Because my talk is the property of AV Nirvana (as is the videos) I have to wait on him.

These videos have gone so well that he has approved me doing more. I plan to do 10 minutes short courses and I will have the ability to post those myself.

post #433 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
I promise I will as soon as I can. It’s held up with my editor. Ryan and I are done with our part. My editor loves both videos but wants to add an intro before posting. Because my talk is the property of AV Nirvana (as is the videos) I have to wait on him.

These videos have gone so well that he has approved me doing more. I plan to do 10 minutes short courses and I will have the ability to post those myself.

Property of AV Nirvana? These aren’t your property your the presenter
post #434 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
My editor loves both videos but wants to add an intro before posting.
I'm glad your editor likes them. But I'm curious. What do your makeup person and hairdresser think of them?

Quote:
Because my talk is the property of AV Nirvana (as is the videos) I have to wait on him.
Quote:
Property of AV Nirvana? These aren’t your property your the presenter
That's some way to speak to your new overlord! I think "sir" or "m'lord" might be more appropriate.

But seriously, you've been had. Here's what I mean. These are his comments from two years ago to an article by Brent Butterworth on multiple subwoofers. Besides the highlighted text, note some of the other claims, such as the claim that every added subwoofer increases output by 6 dB. This is obviously wrong, and even those who make no extravagant claims about their knowledge are aware that it's wrong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poes_multiple_subs.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	2452436  

Last edited by andyc56; 09-07-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #435 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Well said brian

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
brian6751 and andyc56 like this.
post #436 of 484 Old 09-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
I'm glad your editor likes them. But I'm curious. What do your makeup person and hairdresser think of them?

That's some way to speak to your new overlord! I think "sir" or "m'lord" might be more appropriate.

But seriously, you've been had. Here's what I mean. These are his comments from two years ago to an article by Brent Butterworth on multiple subwoofers. Besides the highlighted text, note some of the other claims, such as the claim that every added subwoofer increases output by 6 dB. This is obviously wrong, and even those who make no extravagant claims about their knowledge are aware that it's wrong.

Again, take your harassment elsewhere. This constitutes a personal attack and is unnecessary. You see, instead of just posting on that forum that I made a mistake in my comment, you instead attempted to use a past post on another forum as a means to discredit me to my friend Mike and on this forum. Why? What is your issue with me? I don't do this to you.

Look even the best of the best make mistakes when they talk or post. Yes, I was incorrect to say that 6dB was the doubling per subwoofer, I was right in my original post when I said 6dB per doubling of subwoofer (3dB for the double of driver and 3dB for the doubling of amplifier power). The increase in output is not 3 or 6dB's unless collocated, that aspects of the statement was perfectly correct. I remember typing that message, I second guessed myself after writting it and corrected it incorrectly. It happens, not a reason to attack me. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong.

For what it's worth, I now know why subs (or any speaker) that is not collocated doesn't have the expected increase in output. They are considered in random phase and at low frequency excite different modes which cause somewhat non-intuitive increases in output.
post #437 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 491
This got ugly real fast.

Matt, I doubt you told your editor you filmed the videos at someones home and did not get written permission by the owner or any attendees to film them.

Further I highly suggest you step back and understand the appearance of what you are doing. You don't look bad -- you look pretty much crazy.

These are basic videos we are talking about. I sat in for one. If you want to be welcome at future gtgs you may want to rethink your attitude here.

With that said the personal attacks on your credibility are uncalled for. I like you and your class.

This should be thought through more clearly imo.
post #438 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

I've now talked to a few members here and very briefly with Mike. It appears that Mike and I may have had a misunderstanding. I hope to talk with Mike, who I consider a friend, to clear the air. I absolutely have no malintent with my actions, all of this is nothing more than a misunderstanding. At the time that I offered to do the talk, I had noted that I wanted to post the videos on my own companies youtube channel. I am not charging Mike or any of you for these talks and provide them freely, but wanted to post through my website to help build its brand and support the very small side-income I am able to get from this hobby. At the moment I am making nothing on this and I won't ever make anything on these videos, but my hope was that it might increase our followers which allows monetization and later sponsorship of the videos themselves. That helps defer the costs of doing them and makes it worth our while to do them. I want to do more and I think people would find them helpful, but right now it isn't feasable.

I want to take a moment to explain what has transpired over the last two years so people understand why I am doing this. After finishing some additional education in the area of acoustics I began getting a lot of requests for my time concerning audio. I was asked to write for a new website, eventually, more requests and even sponsorship offers came in. At this point the demands on my time for what is ultimately a hobby has increased so much that I need to be selective. What many may not realize is that just days before Mike's event I was in Chicago giving different talks but for pay. Most people I know in the industry have encouraged me to give up the free work I do and time I spend on forums or emailing with people given the ability to spend all of that time on paying gigs. However, I like doing this and I consider Mike a friend. What I saw this opportunity to be was an ability to help grow my brand while providing Mike with free talks that I normally am paid to give.

Anyone can provide free youtube talks. What I'm doing is taking advantage of my relationships and connections to provide informational talks on topics we are interested in that are vetted by experts like John Mulcahy and Earl Geddes (among others). Now that doesn't mean I don't occasionally mix myself up and say something wrong, but the vast majority of information you hear is accurate, and my sincere hope, helpful.

I'll even own up to a mistake I noted in one of the videos that I missed when initially giving the talk. I can only blame it on hunger. In trying to point out that a speaker and the room operate in minimum phase, and that the steady-state response tells you the same information as something like a waterfall at low frequencies, I accidentally said Steady-state over and over again instead of saying the room response at LF's is minimum phase and the steady-state... My hope would be that most who catch the mistake (all of you will now) see it as a minor mistake that doesn't meaningfully take away from my message. I know when I shared the mistake with a few experts to get their take on how to fix it, they told me not to bother (as did Ryan, who graciously offered to help me do these videos).
post #439 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m over this

Will there be another future gtg not sure yet

Last edited by eng-399; 09-10-2018 at 12:57 PM.
post #440 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
I’m over it...

Moving on

So much I wrote on this post and deleted and re wrote again... life is short and I have thick skin

I vote yes for a future g2g. Your g2gs are the best and top notch. Maybe you just teach the classes next g2g and some of us other guys could keep people entertained.I know you want to have everyone feel welcome but people are just amazed with everything you have set up that I feel we all would totally understand if you where busy with other things. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
femi, Jedi940 and bubbrik like this.
post #441 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
I personally don’t even go in the theater during the REW classes at your GTG’s. That’s not why I’m there.

You could totally skip that type of stuff from now on and your gtg wouldn’t skip a beat. Completely unmemorable and nothing you can’t learn from doing a little searching on the forums.

Jk7.2 and hd0823 like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #442 of 484 Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m over it...

Moving on

So much I wrote on this post and deleted and re wrote again... life is short and I have thick skin

You need to keep having them so I can eventually make one!
post #443 of 484 Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #444 of 484 Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 702
post #445 of 484 Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Thanks @Mpoes12 for giving this talk and thanks @eng-399 for posting it. I was disappointed I had to leave just as the Geddes presentation was getting started. Glad I still got to see it.
eng-399 likes this.
post #446 of 484 Old 09-11-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Excellent video on Geddes approach. Implementing many of his concepts will make room EQ easier and simpler.
post #447 of 484 Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It’s that time of year again is there any interest for doing another gtg this year?
Not sure yet on the date but probably the end of July like last year.
Mike Butny likes this.
post #448 of 484 Old 05-04-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
It’s that time of year again is there any interest for doing another gtg this year?
Not sure yet on the date but probably the end of July like last year.

Sounds like a great time as usual. I’d love to join again.
post #449 of 484 Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 5792
I'd be in!
Mike Butny and eng-399 like this.
post #450 of 484 Old 05-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member