Fusion 8 Center vs. Fusion 10 as a center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By corradizo
  • 1 Post By Raylon
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Fusion 8 Center vs. Fusion 10 as a center

All things being equal, is there a noticable difference in the two? I never listen at reference level, and will be using these for 98% movies/TV.



I'm about to pull the trigger on a new LCR so any help/direction/advice would be appreciated.


Thanks!
ratm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Raylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Using subs? I have Fusion 8 LCR and I don't even come close to maxing them out and since I cross over at 80ish I had no reason for 10s.
Raylon is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Assuming your setup is in-room and not behind an AT screen- I'd probably favor the F8 Center for the aesthetics. F10 Center looks kinda' funny out in the room IMO, and if you're crossing over at ~80hz, I don't see where you'd get much real-world benefit from bumping up to F10's.

One thing you might give some thought to is the HTM's. HTM-10's have the 12" waveguide, which might carry some benefit over the F8's depending upon seating distance, how wide your seating area is and how far apart your L/C/R will be. You'd be back to having a kinda' funny-looking center if you're not behind an AT screen, though.
strawberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I am using a Cap 2400 for my sub, and Audyessy has crossed my current LCR at 80. I have looked at the HTM-6's. My LCR will not be behind a screen, so I think that the HTM-10's will be overkill.
ratm is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
STL D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
I am using a Cap 2400 for my sub, and Audyessy has crossed my current LCR at 80. I have looked at the HTM-6's. My LCR will not be behind a screen, so I think that the HTM-10's will be overkill.
If they aren't going behind a screen, fusion 8 LCR will be a great choice for you.
STL D is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
I am using a Cap 2400 for my sub, and Audyessy has crossed my current LCR at 80. I have looked at the HTM-6's. My LCR will not be behind a screen, so I think that the HTM-10's will be overkill.
Yeah- it's sounding to me like the F8 L/C/R combo would be the right fit.
strawberry is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Fusion 8 Center vs. Fusion 10 as a center

I'm very happy with my F8's. Though I could squeeze 1099 behind the screen so I might sell them soon or maybe try to make them into 3-ways. I need to build something new, its addictive. I cross at 120hz

BCRSS likes this.
corradizo is online now  
post #8 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
I'm very happy with my F8's. Though I could squeeze 1099 behind the screen so I might sell them soon or maybe try to make them into 3-ways. I need to build something new, its addictive. I cross at 120hz


That looks fantastic. Did you consider the F8 Center?
ratm is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Fusion 8 Center vs. Fusion 10 as a center

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
That looks fantastic. Did you consider the F8 Center?


Thank you!

No, a horizontal center is not as optimal (same sound signature but the horizontal center would not have the same dispersion characteristics) as a matching lcr. Since they are going behind a screen I was able to make them all match. If they were out in the open I would have gone with a horizontal center. If you are going to use the horizontal center Id go with the towers to keep the sensitivity the same.
corradizo is online now  
post #10 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Thank you!

No, a horizontal center is not as optimal (same sound signature but the horizontal center would not have the same dispersion characteristics) as a matching lcr. Since they are going behind a screen I was able to make them all match. If they were out in the open I would have gone with a horizontal center. If you are going to use the horizontal center Id go with the towers to keep the sensitivity the same.

I can't use the towers (height issue). We always sit directly in front of our center channel, so I am thinking of matching LCR.
ratm is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 06-29-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Do you have a screen with a projector or is this a TV type setup with a console? Telling us about the space would help with how we respond.
corradizo is online now  
post #12 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Do you have a screen with a projector or is this a TV type setup with a console? Telling us about the space would help with how we respond.

TV set up. I dont know the exact measurements, but its an average size living room. Maybe 20 x 15 with a cathedral ceiling that slopes toward where I sit.
ratm is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
TV set up. I dont know the exact measurements, but its an average size living room. Maybe 20 x 15 with a cathedral ceiling that slopes toward where I sit.


With a TV I'd try the fusion8's in stereo with a phantom center then build the horizontal center if the sound was lacking. I think the horizontal would be worth the compromise for a TV because it'll look better that three matching lcr.

Whatever you do, be mindful of the designer of the series your looking at because each designer has a "voice" for their speakers. It's like their signature. The fusion 10 are designed by tuxedocivic and fusion 8 are designed by Jeff Bagby. Jeff also designed the maximus12 and the fusion12's and the Quarks and others.
corradizo is online now  
post #14 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Member
 
dasa2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mills River, NC
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Corradizo,

Damn, that's an impressive setup you have - very nice!

Dave
dasa2131 is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
With a TV I'd try the fusion8's in stereo with a phantom center then build the horizontal center if the sound was lacking. I think the horizontal would be worth the compromise for a TV because it'll look better that three matching lcr.

Whatever you do, be mindful of the designer of the series your looking at because each designer has a "voice" for their speakers. It's like their signature. The fusion 10 are designed by tuxedocivic and fusion 8 are designed by Jeff Bagby. Jeff also designed the maximus12 and the fusion12's and the Quarks and others.
Hey. That brings me to a question.
I understand about different designers having their signature “ voicing “. And, since I’be never heard any DIYSG speakers, I don’t know which “ voicing “ would suit my tastes best.
Would you mind giving a personal opinion on the “ voicing “ differences between the speakers that you have experience with ? I’m in the process of trying to plan my soon to be home theater and info like this would help a lot I think.
Thanks
tk123 is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Jeff's speakers tend to roll off the highs more than tux's and mtg's. I've never heard any of tux's kits but the responses look similar to mtg's. I would say the fusion 8 kits are the easiest to listen to for extended periods like hours. Likely due to the softer highs. But the brighter speakers seem better for movies with clearer intelligibility and dynamics.
Samps is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Jeff's speakers tend to roll off the highs more than tux's and mtg's. I've never heard any of tux's kits but the responses look similar to mtg's. I would say the fusion 8 kits are the easiest to listen to for extended periods like hours. Likely due to the softer highs. But the brighter speakers seem better for movies with clearer intelligibility and dynamics.
Thanks for the info. Which DIYSG speakers do you have experience with ?
Tux is Ryan correct ?
tk123 is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I have owned
Fusion 8
Fusion 8 tower
Fusion 8 center
Fusion 15
88 Special
Volt 6

Tux is Ryan.

All great speakers that I would recommend to a friend.
Samps is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I bought some fusion 10's off a member and have loved them. 10s or 8s, you'll be happy.

I went to see jurassic world fallen kingdom Thursday and it's the first movie I ever walked out of and said "that sounded like garbage".

The 8s are probably a safe bet as well, it depends on your future though. If a AT screen is in your future I'd buy/build for that.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
trilkb is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Yes @trilkb . I will have an AT screen ( size TBD ).
@Samps , how do the Fusion 8 and Fusion 8 Towers compare ? Do the Towers just get louder with less strain, or do they play somewhat lower frequencies better ?
I have contacted Matt about possibly going with a larger enclosure for certain speakers to give them more full range capability. I’d like the Front Left & Right to be satisfying for music listening without a sub if possible.
tk123 is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 06-30-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
The towers sound very similar since they share the same parts, but the extra sensitivity helps a lot when run on avr power. I wouldn't use either without a sub. Unless you're only listening to classic rock and oldies. The F15s can go without a sub but I still don't use mine that way. Everything is just better with a proper sub.
Samps is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Raylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
F8 towers can certainly do music without a sub, they just won’t have a ton of authority or be super bass heavy. Always good to pair them with a sub. Here is my F8 tower LCR. Love them.

openbaffled likes this.
Raylon is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
F8 towers can certainly do music without a sub, they just won’t have a ton of authority or be super bass heavy. Always good to pair them with a sub. Here is my F8 tower LCR. Love them.


That is a fantastic set up. How did you make the grills?
ratm is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,298
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
@Samps and other interested parties

The F15s can go without a sub

the bass can be usefully extended by making the cabinet deeper up to about 5 ft^3 total,

from a discussion I had with Erich . . then you get to use the same baffle

hth

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I had considered building big 6 cubic foot boxes for my F15s. But since I was planning to cross over to a sub I decided the larger cabs weren't worth it. I'm actually going to adjust my ports to tune them higher.

You can build bigger cabs for all the kits and get lower extension. But you trade away some max spl for it. So you need enough headroom to cover it.
Samps is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
I had considered building big 6 cubic foot boxes for my F15s. But since I was planning to cross over to a sub I decided the larger cabs weren't worth it. I'm actually going to adjust my ports to tune them higher.

You can build bigger cabs for all the kits and get lower extension. But you trade away some max spl for it. So you need enough headroom to cover it.
I know you’re more experienced than I am with these speakers. But Matt told me that certain models aren’t conducive to getting more bass out of a larger enclosure due to the inherent qualities of the bass drivers themselves.
Some designs benefit from larger enclosures, some don’t.
tk123 is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
F8 towers can certainly do music without a sub, they just won’t have a ton of authority or be super bass heavy. Always good to pair them with a sub. Here is my F8 tower LCR. Love them.

I do remember seeing your thread about these. Excellent job building them. That setup looks great in that location.
I just get the feeling that these wouldn’t give me the “ full range” sound I’m wanting. I’m still trying to get with Matt about more options.
tk123 is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 07-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Raylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
That is a fantastic set up. How did you make the grills?

Thanks! Parts express makes a great speaker grill kit that is well worth the money!
Raylon is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 07-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Member
 
XLBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Herriman Utah
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a fusion 8 center on a smaller system and a fusion 10 as a center on my larger system. Overall, I think I'd give the fusion 10 the win by a fraction. I think the larger wave guide is probably making the difference in what I'm hearing. You won't be disappointed with either. Of course I'm old, 1/2 deaf, and have tinnitus, so take that into consideration.
XLBrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off