Dual 15” Dayton 390HO Nearfield Slim Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 3318
Dual 15” Dayton 390HO Nearfield Slim Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Wow, with 5 subs I can imagine! Especially all being 18s! I have only 2 pb13s farfield and one psa v1500 very nearfield and its already loud!

So now you have your crowson's running 20hz and under only?

I still run the Crowson’s up to 65Hz with a 12dB Butterworth LPF, but my nearfields now provide so much TR down to 20Hz, the Crowson’s pick up and add to the ULF below that; and there’s quite a lot below 20Hz in the Atmos version of Fury down to DC almost it looks like. I have almost no room gain below 20Hz so the Crowson’s help more with subsonics, and my subs are now capable on their own providing very good to extreme levels of TR at and above 20Hz.

I turned my Crowson’s off to test a few of the machine gun scenes in Fury and a big artillery scene at 01:14:55 and the nearfield subs provide a ridiculous amount of TR, nearly all of it on their own, hitting super hard from the back and sides. I now understand why people with fairly powerful nearfield setups don’t get near as much added mileage out of tactile transducers. Last year when I had just the 12” MBM’s nearfield running 50-100Hz, the Crowson’s were still providing a night and day difference in terms of added tactile response, but now the transducers just add a layer of finesse above 20-25Hz, and then really shine below that.

Did a quick compression sweep, and I was hitting around 110dB at 15Hz and 120dB at 20Hz and almost 130dB from 30hz and up.
ereed likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 08-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Congrats man!!!! Those things turned out great and fit perfectly behind your couch. Pretty crazy what a couple of full range subs directly behind you with drivers only inches away can do huh Combine them with some Crowsons and Farfield subs like your doing ...and yup, it be good!!! Like you mentioned somewhere just recently, might have been the movies bass thread, it can be panic inducing and exhilarating at the same time. This is nearly impossible for me to get without some subs parked right behind me.

Fantastic job!! Ill sure you'll get a ton of enjoyment out of them!!
Sekosche likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #33 of 41 Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Congrats man!!!! Those things turned out great and fit perfectly behind your couch. Pretty crazy what a couple of full range subs directly behind you with drivers only inches away can do huh Combine them with some Crowsons and Farfield subs like your doing ...and yup, it be good!!! Like you mentioned somewhere just recently, might have been the movies bass thread, it can be panic inducing and exhilarating at the same time. This is nearly impossible for me to get without some subs parked right behind me.

Fantastic job!! Ill sure you'll get a ton of enjoyment out of them!!

Thanks! How you been, and has your setup changed any in the last year?

I was actually thinking of your setup when I finished watching Fury and almost tagged you in the post. Have you heard the Atmos track? That was by far the most intense movie experience I’ve ever had from an audio standpoint. I’m curious what kind of readings I could get now from Vibsensor with certain scenes in that movie.

Having only had experience with the B1200D’s nearfield for a year and an S3000i (for a week), it really was shocking how much TR a decent full range ported sub firing right into the chair can bring, especially when thinking my transducers would be hard to top in terms of energy transfer. Now I get it!
SBuger likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Thanks! How you been, and has your setup changed any in the last year?

I was actually thinking of your setup when I finished watching Fury and almost tagged you in the post. Have you heard the Atmos track? That was by far the most intense movie experience I’ve ever had from an audio standpoint. I’m curious what kind of readings I could get now from Vibsensor with certain scenes in that movie.

Having only had experience with the B1200D’s nearfield for a year and an S3000i (for a week), it really was shocking how much TR a decent full range ported sub firing right into the chair can bring, especially when thinking my transducers would be hard to top in terms of energy transfer. Now I get it!
Thanks man, been doing good. Kind of been taking a bit of a break lately on the forums but checked in to see what’s new a saw your posts about your new VNF subs, which was cool

Well the main change recently to my system has been Atmos. Real nice addition for sure and really adds to the experience. Added a few treatments as well. But as far as the bass goes, it’s basically the same setup with an 18 behind each seat, plus the 2 Fairfield/Nearfield on the side walls, and then the MAs and BK LFEs. I really need to build one more sub for up front to help a little more with a 30hz room mode and envelopment, but just nitpicking which I think we’re all guilty of sometimes lol. For the most part I’m super happy with the system as a whole and get a ton of enjoyment out of it. But the subs right behind me are what make it the most fun for me. They just add a kind energy and feel (not just shake) that I can’t really get without them. That said, it’s still missing something with just them alone. That weight and fullness that the far fields bring, plus what the TTs/Mas bring as well which is a little more depth (or sometimes on the right material, a lot more depth).

But with that said, I can almost get by perfectly fine without the TTs and MAs in the mix at all. Like you said, it’s pretty shocking what a decent full range sub firing into the back of the chair can do for energy transfer. I recently started limiting what the BKs and MAs contribute to about 27hz and under, or it can be too much above that with the suspended floor and subs firing into me. This wasn’t the case when I was on concrete in my living room with the same config. I’m a TR junkie and the suspended floor is way fun but makes it a little more difficult to get that balanced aggression from top to bottom bass for TR to impact ratios when running VNF subs and TTs/M as compared to concrete. Yes too much TR and not enough impact to go with it can be a problem ….Not complaining, it just seems that there is always challenges when it comes to the whole HT bass package no matter what kind of room and floor you have. Keeps us on our toes to keep our game sharp I guess lol Luckily with all these different components at our disposal, this can usually be fine-tuned to right where you like it. But as you probably know, that can turn into a rabbit hole as well if you let it. Tweaking can take over me if I’m not careful lol. Sometimes once you get it close, you just have to enjoy it for what it is

Cool about Fury!! So yeah with your subs behind you now with your MAs, Im sure your VibSenser readings would be through the roof on this movie! It’s in my que to watch soon. I’ve checked out the new 4k/Atmos disc briefly and loved it but need to watch the whole thing soon. I’ve got a bunch of the good ones lined up actually that I need to watch, so I’m pretty excited about that.

But I have watched the new Gladiator DTS:X version, A Quite Place, Tomb Raider and Ready Player 1 and thoroughly enjoyed them all!! RP1 was my favorite I think. Insane surround with Atmos and some great bass to go with it, plus just a really fun movie I thought. I’ve been demoing parts of that almost daily. LOL can’t seem to get enough of it. This movie, or at least the first race scene will really showcase your HT system. Its seriously a surround sound extravaganza once the race gets going, plus Kong smashing stuff will shake and pound you pretty good!! Loads of fun!!

I’m thinking Fury and The Matrix are gona be just as good if not better.

Anyway, congrats again on the new Nearfeild beauties!! Your gonna have sooooo much fun with them!!
Sekosche likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #35 of 41 Old 09-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 100
How does these perform as main sub upfront?
Sekosche likes this.
post #36 of 41 Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dual 15” Dayton 390HO Nearfield Slim Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcris View Post
How do these perform as main sub upfront?

I’d imagine they’d perform admirably no matter the placement. Mine happen to be directly behind the couch for nearfield slam, and I haven’t heard a hint of port noise or untoward sounds. I think they hit 110dB at 20Hz and 115-120dB at 30Hz and up, and a slightly larger box would net a few more decibels more around tune. If it’s a good fit for your needs, I’d highly recommend this design.

Edit: IMO, being able to build and power them for under $700 a pair makes them an amazing value (I spent more than that though). I’m really loving the Dayton HO line of subs, and I’d build more if I had room.
Rcris likes this.

Last edited by Sekosche; 09-28-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #37 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Thanks to @Sekosche for the detailed plans and help. Very nice and easy build. Should be great for nearfield purposes. I’ll post more pics once driver is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	914FB8FD-F844-4F83-917C-CFC19212C554.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2568914  
Sekosche likes this.

Last edited by keeper; 05-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #38 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Thanks to @Sekosche for the detailed plans and help. Very nice and easy build. Should be great for nearfield purposes. I’ll post more pics once driver is mounted.

Awesome job! You’re nearly done, and can relax and enjoy the sweet addition of nearfield TR. I actually run mine a bit lower than they’re even tuned for with DSP and haven’t heard a bad note yet, even with lots of BEQ and pounding on them for the last 9 months they’re still as good as new. I hope it serves you well!
keeper likes this.

post #39 of 41 Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Just now seeing this and it looks awesome..... but I can't help but giggle at all the SPL and bass you have...... with a NURSERY next to your setup lol......

As a father of little ones I can't help but wondering how that interesting paradox has worked out lol.....
Sekosche likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #40 of 41 Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Just now seeing this and it looks awesome..... but I can't help but giggle at all the SPL and bass you have...... with a NURSERY next to your setup lol......

As a father of little ones I can't help but wondering how that interesting paradox has worked out lol.....

Lol, yes both my kids rooms and the play room are on the other side of the shared family room/theater. It really rattles the walls and shelves in the baby’s room at reference. My wife is diligently looking for a good floor plan in the next house for a dedicated theater that’s not next to everyone, but I don’t ever play it loud when they’re home anyway. Luckily, due to my work schedule, I have a lot of random days off to myself to let it rip.

post #41 of 41 Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Lol, yes both my kids rooms and the play room are on the other side of the shared family room/theater. It really rattles the walls and shelves in the baby’s room at reference. My wife is diligently looking for a good floor plan in the next house for a dedicated theater that’s not next to everyone, but I don’t ever play it loud when they’re home anyway.
Gotcha. You could always just say your preparing them for what a earthquake feels like (provided your anywhere near a decent faultline lol)....... But yes, I'd imagine you could knock stuff off their walls if prompted.

Only time I can really crank it is if we are ALL watching a kids movie... Needless to say, Kung Fu Panda and the How to Train your Dragon movies tend to somehow get selected frequently, as do the Lord of the Rings movies....

Quote:
Luckily, due to my work schedule, I have a lot of random days off to myself to let it rip.
Then consider me jealous hehehehe.....

I also have a shared family room/theater and unlike you, dont have many days to "let it rip at 11"..... but thats not stopping me from building a wall of bass either.....
Sekosche likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page