Originally Posted by BCRSS
Thanks. I plan to have grills on the 1299's also. I have the fabric and want to follow the same round over as the volts. I was working on that layout today.
As I had stated above, I wanted some grills that followed the same as the Volts I have done.
Here are the grills. This wasn't as cut and dried as anticipated. I ran into a few mistakes, some mechanical and others human error. I will display them in all there glory.
I started with the thought of using 1/4 inch under laminate for the grills. I laid out the cutouts and roughed one out.
Not sure you can see what has happened with a chip out around the mid section after I cut bevels into it. I thought no big deal it will be covered with cloth anyway. But to be on the safe side I made another out of 1/2 mdf. I clamp it on a 1299 to see what it will look like.
I really like the light and dark theme and thought .hmmm, maybe just a tad darker and it would look good. So I lay a stained one on top after I put a temp cloth on .
I left it this way for a week or so, just to see if I really wanted this. Everyone that saw this told me that they thought the bottom half looked like Mickey Mouse Ears. Well that I couldn't get out of my head and took off the temp outline off and looked at just the cloth for another week.
This I liked. But what I found out was that the 1/4 inch was too flimsy over the distance of the grill 1/2 inch it would have to be made from. So I started to layout and cut the rest of the grills. These are the fasteners I will be using along with the bits. I have a full size of the forstner bits from 1/4 to 2 inch. Used 1/4, 3/8 and 2 inch bits for the grills.
Here you can see what I used the 2inch bit for the radius of the waveguide.
I use my small router to cut in a 3/16 bevel.
Now with all cutouts for the grills made it was time to paint. Used duratex on 1 but took too long to get a nice smooth finish. decided on flat black rattle can for the rest.
With the paint done I could now start the mounting. Test fitting the frame just to make sure all is good before I start to drill some holes in it.
Everything lines up to my satisfaction and I proceed to drill pilot holes for the fasteners. Caution needs to be taken on this step. Drill through the frame and just a tad into the speaker itself.
Now with the pilot holes drilled, I can use the 1/4 forstner bit to drill into the frame part and use the 3/8 forstner bit into the speaker. I use JB weld as my adhesive. I don't have a picture of the male end into the frame but here is the female into the speaker.
This next picture is with the fabric attached and you can see the male part of the fasteners. I stapled the fabric. I normally use a hot glue but thought that with a large grill, staples would be better.
Here is what the finally results come out with the lights on in my room. Then I put a flood light in the room to get a better picture.
This last picture I am toying with the idea of putting 1299 in wooden numbers on the grill. I haven't decided yet, but might look good.
That is the end of grills. Thanks for looking.