AVS Forum banner

Another DIYSG HTM build

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  sealmaniac 
#1 ·
My HTM-10 kits arrived last Thursday and I've worked on them a little each day since. Waiting for veneer to be delivered but figured I would start a build thread. Lots of pictures.

To say Erich and co. package their products well is a major understatement. There are speaker components in here somewhere (right?).

Ahh, this looks promising.

Almost there.

And finally, all unpacked. Took me almost an hour.

I had asked Erich via email if the front baffles for the kits were available without the rounded over front edges - They are not. So, as I intended to veneer these I had to make my own baffles and used the existing as templates. My deepest apologies to all at DIYSG for what is coming next... :eek:

This is what happens when you throw the bearing off of your old straight flush router bit. Try to not let that happen ;):

Fast-forward, the new baffles on the left, original on the right.

All the pieces cut to size, bracing cut and ready for assembly.

A quick dry fit to make sure things look good.

Boxes assembled. What's wrong with this picture? :eek:

Lined with mattress topper, crossover installed. I used 1" lengths of stick pen tubes for standoffs on the crossovers.

Attach the front baffles. Can never have enough clamps!

And finally, in place. I will have to tear them down when I get the veneer, at that point I will spray the foam in the one on the right black, missed that earlier.

Initial impressions? Wow. I haven't taken any measurements yet, only ran Audyssey, and these things sound terrific. For both movies and music, super clear, and easily driven by my AVR. These are keepers!

Now I just have to figure out the center channel (a whole other can of worms - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2987528-horizontal-center-htm-6-kit.html. Now thinking about using the HTM-6 kit with another Eminence 6.5" Alphalite, not sure if the existing kit xover would work in that alignment though)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Really nice build. I'm sure they sound great with the 1260s:)

#4 ·
Thanks. Yes, so far very happy with the setup. Need some time to dial things in.

BCRSS said:
They turned out great. Too bad about the router cut, but you seem to have recovered well.What type of veneer and stain?
Thank you. Luckily I only trashed the one so I was able to turn the other into the template. I will be using the same birch veneer I used in my VBSS build, hopefully this sheet will have similar figuring. Stain is Minwax Early American, with clear satin polyurethane. If that shines too much I'll go over them with Varathane matte poly.

#5 · (Edited)
So the veneer showed up early last week and I finished the cabs tonight. A few pics of the progress:

Sanded and prepped for the veneer application. Trying to keep as much chips/dust out as possible.

And this is why you block all the openings. All that mess in the cab is a nightmare to clean out! Some still does enter, but a few minutes with a vacuum clears that out.

Veneer sanded and stained.

And finally, the poly applied. I use clear satin on just about everything so you can't see the imperfections ;)

Have to reassemble, put them in place and wire them up, but I already know how great they sound so no huge rush. OK, that's a lie, I really want these back in place and rocking... :p

More pics to come.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
fullhorn said:
They look great!
Thanks. Was a lot of work to recreate the front baffles, but I think I got them built to original specs.

Thank you. These are replacing a pair of RBH R5Bi for L/R and I'm still working on what to build for the R5Ci center replacement. About to pull the trigger on 3x Volt 6s, one of them will be a very modified version of the original Volt dimensions (I currently need a horizontal center with specific height and width requirements and can't change that until numerous TV/placement changes happen) and the other 2 will be used as surrounds for a different room.

#13 ·
Appreciate it, I'm sure they will.

Very much enjoyed your Titans build thread. Would love to have a space for those myself, enjoy them!

#14 ·
A few pics of the finished product in place. Still can't get over the sound from these, it's enveloping. I turned on some music with the HTMs crossed on the AVR at 40, without subs, and I could swear I had the surrounds on at some points (Keb' Mo' "Soon as I get Paid" for reference), and the bass is amazing. Can't wait to spend some time really getting them dialed into my room (or I should say, getting the room dialed in).

Thanks to Erich and Matt for designing and offering these to the masses!

Full shot:

Left:

Right:

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks Curt! I made sure to post pics that wouldn't expose any of the imperfections... ;)

If I decide they need grills I really will be using some of your ideas. No more kids in the house at this point, but when the grand kids come visiting they may be necessary. Damn I'm old... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.